Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 37

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Shepard, look," Liara stated, pointing at the ground nearby. Blue blood. Only asari and turians bled that colour.

"Follow the blood, we find her. And if she's leaking that much, she has to be injured badly, unless she's got medi-gel."

Moving on, we passed by more rooms filled with either scantily clad or naked asari, entertaining males of many species, human, turian, even a salarian or two. Some were entertaining fellow asari, and there were a few female humans as well. Garrus wondered where we were, Liara not stopping but explaining it was a luxury resort dedicated to pleasures of the flesh.

"So a brothel?" I asked.

"No, classier than that sort of establishment, Shepard. This is certainly of the higher-end one would expect from credits well into the five figures for only a few hours' entertainment."

"But sex is the end result?"

Liara nodded. "Well, you remember the Consort on the Citadel? There are places like this all over Illium which are similar to hers. Obviously without the reputation."

We followed the blood trail, never more than a few spots at a time, but at least we knew we were heading in the right direction. More than once we came upon wounded or even dead patrons, Vasir obviously caring little about who she put down as she tried to escape. We also found mechs on the ground, some appearing to have been servants, others guards that were easily disabled by the Spectre.

But she was obviously wounded and we caught her quickly. Walking out into a dining area, providing some spectacular views of Nos Astra, Liara already had her pistol raised as Vasir came into view.

"Vasir!" Liara called out, "Stop right there. It's over!"

It wasn't. Vasir was never going to go down without a fight. She was a Spectre. I remembered her words about doing whatever was necessary. So, of course, Vasir grabbed a nearby waitress. A human. I don't think she chose because of me. I think the waitress was just the nearest available hostage, pistol pointed at her head as she glared at us from a distance. I raised a hand in gesture for everyone to form up but lower, not holster, their weapons.

"Let her go, Vasir!" Liara called out, the four of them taking a couple of paces closer.

Vasir spoke quietly to her hostage. "What's your name?" she eventually asked louder.

"Mariana," replied her hostage.

"And do you want to live, Mariana?"

"Yes, please!" Mariana cried.

"Let her go, Vasir. She has nothing to do with this," I warned, "Or are you as cowardly as Saren?"

Perhaps the wrong thing to say. Her eyes narrowed in my direction, the barrel digging into the temple of Mariana. "I'm nothing like Saren! And all you had to do was walk away, Shepard. Don't you understand, you and your little blue bitch? The Shadow Broker runs things. And he does not like being messed with." She paused, threatening to shoot, but if she did that, she lost her leverage. And she knew we'd fire without hesitation. "And because you chose to get involved, now it has to get ugly. Tell me, Shepard, how many souls do you carry on your conscience?"

"None." I could see my reply perplexed her, but before she could say anything...

"Please, I have a child. A son. Don't kill me," Mariana pleaded.

"A son? Well, well, well. I've heard losing a parent is just horrific for children."

"I'm going to take pleasure in killing you, Vasir," Liara growled. The only thing stopped her at the moment was she didn't have a clear shot.

"I'm giving you one warning and one warning only. Guns on the ground now. Or I kill the lady."

I shared a glance with Liara and I definitely surprised her by laughing. "Jesus wept, Vasir. You clearly have no idea about my track record. I think I've proven I give less than a shit about sacrificing certain people to achieve my objectives. Nor have I hesitated in shooting those I deem a threat. And considering who I am currently working with, that should suggest to you that I am still willing to do whatever is necessary. So..."

I fired, putting a bullet into Mariana. Only in her shoulder, but it knocked both her and Vasir backwards, Mariana falling clear of her clutches as Liara launched a biotic attack directly at Vasir. She staggered before she turned and ran, Liara and I chasing her as I yelled at everyone else to take care of Mariana.

We ended up on the balcony of the resort, a giant pool in the middle, surrounded by tables, chairs, recliners, umbrellas. And Vasir called in the remaining forces she had at her disposal, the rooftop soon little more than a battlefield, gunfire and biotics being traded. Garrus took position to take the head off any mercenary dumb enough to present a target. Thane and Kasumi ran riot. Shiala and Liara caused havoc. And I went looking for Vasir. She was tough, I'll give her that much credit. More than once I collided with her, but her biotic shield was strong, and more than once she got a shot off in my direction, shields failing and I was left bleeding by the end of it all.

But with the team I had with me, she was never going to win. Shiala and Liara whittled down her barrier, and once it was gone, Garrus put a bullet into her gut, causing her to fall to the ground. Liara and I closed on her before she could do anything stupid. I kicked the weapon from her grasp and Liara searched her body, taking what she needed before stepping back, covering the Spectre as I crouched down next to her.

"Shame, Vasir. Before you turned, I actually liked you."

"You're nothing but a traitor, just like the pureblood bitch you hang around with. You'll get your comeuppance eventually, Shepard."

"No, I won't. You were good, Vasir, I'll give you that much credit. But the people I surround myself with, and I'll even give myself a pat on the back, we're better."

She smirked though she was starting to fade. "You don't stand a chance, Shepard. The Shadow Broker has been running things for decades. You're nothing to the likes of him. If I were you, I'd walk away now."

"Not going to happen. And if anyone is the traitor here, it's you."

She scoffed. "I'm no traitor. Not like you. I don't actively work with terrorists. And before you even suggest it, I'm nothing like Saren. Nothing! The Broker gives me intel that saves lives, keeps the Citadel safe and the Council in their cosy positions. And I'll do what it takes to make sure that remains so."

"Whatever makes you comfortable with however long you have left."

She might not have liked it, but I grabbed her hand and held it as she started to struggle for breath, the ground underneath her starting to turn blue as she slowly started to fade away. Eventually her breathing slowed to such a rate, her eyes started to turn glassy, and within a couple of minutes, she was gone. I was nice enough to close her eyes, but nothing else as I stood up. We moved to a nearby table, our team sitting around it as Liara started to check the data on the disc she had found.

Jackpot. It had the location of the Shadow Broker. And she leaned something else important to her.

A colleague she had worked with to retrieve my body, someone named Feron, was alive, though obviously a prisoner. When I asked who he was, Liara took a deep breath before immediately going into the whole story of what she had done to get me back. By the time she was done, most of us were speechless. I didn't really know what to say. She'd told me some of the story upon our first meeting, but it seemed she'd left nothing out this time.

"So, when are we going then?" I asked.

"We'll need to discuss that in private, Shepard. Right now, I need to return to my apartment, sort out one or two things, and I'm in desperate need of a shower. But I would suggest getting the Normandy ready to head off, if that's okay."

"Oh, I certainly have a bone to pick with the Shadow Broker myself, Liara. I'm all in on this one." I looked at Miranda. "Send a message to the crew. All are to return to the ship by 0900 ship time tomorrow. I will give further instructions from there."

"Right away, Shepard."

"As for right now, I suggest we split up and take stock of what's happened. I'll head back with Liara, as we'll need to discuss the next steps. Miranda, I will let you know as soon as we have a plan. The rest of you, thanks for your assistance for the moment, and you might be called upon to help again at a later date, depending on circumstances."

Heading inside, we assured all the staff that the situation was now in hand, but that they should call local law enforcement to come deal with the situation. When asking who we were, I had to let them know I was a Spectre, providing my details so they could at least confirm that the affair was legitimate. Once they realised I was Shepard, I had more than one offer to return and take advantage of the facilities available.

Downstairs a couple of minutes later, we split up, Shiala, Liara and I grabbed a cab to head back to her apartment, the rest heading straight back to the Normandy to prepare for our departure. The sun was already starting to disappear, so we wouldn't remain on Illium much longer. Back at Liara's apartment, I put a call straight through to Gianna, asking for her to visit. She sounded concerned, so I immediately assured her I was fine, but there had been an issue which would result in my departure from Illium sooner than planned. She said she'd head over immediately. I spoke to Kelly next, who told me that she'd head straight for the ship and that she'd see me tomorrow.

"Shepard, I've obviously been planning for this eventuality for some time, so I need to ask a few favours."

"Name them."

"I have a ship ready to go, waiting on Omega. I've been paying Aria T'Loak to keep it secure for me ever since I retrieved your body, having learned of the Shadow Broker's plans. So what I'm asking is for us to fly to Omega, to leave the Normandy there, then we head to see the Shadow Broker. We're going to need a team, so I need to ask that you don't bring anyone with any affiliation with Cerberus, whether actually part of the organisation, or with financial links."

"Okay, that counts out Miranda and Jacob. Kasumi and Zaeed were paid off by the Illusive Man, so while they might not owe allegiance, they could be bought off. So... who do you trust most?"

"Garrus and Tali, obviously."

"I would suggest Grunt. His allegiance is to Wrex."

"What about Thane?"

"Solid choice. Man is an expert in matters regarding death."

"And Shiala makes seven. I don't think we'll need more than that."

We continued to make plans as Gianna showed up. Liara suggested that nothing would happen until we left Illium so that I should really spend my last night with her. I was a little stressed out after everything, Gianna recognising immediately, so after agreeing to meet at the ship the next morning, Gianna insisted we head to a bar that served food and alcohol. We were sat no more than half an hour later in a quiet little bar, a small booth to ourselves, some soothing jazz tunes in the background, and only the faint sounds of conversation around us.

"Long day?" she asked once we'd been served drinks and ordered food.

"I'm not sure where to start. But the result is that I have to leave sooner than I anticipated."

"I knew you'd leave sooner rather than later, Shepard. It comes with what you're doing."

"This is something different. Something more... personal. Don't want to say too much, but I'll certainly let you know once the mission is complete."

"I'm used to secrets, Shepard. I certainly don't expect you to share everything you do."

She shuffled across to she could lean into me, and we shared our plates of food as we ate, polishing off a bottle of wine before she suggested we head back to her place. Once we were in the front door and she'd locked it, there was little wasted time as we made our way to her bedroom, clothes disappearing quickly before we tumbled onto her bed. She ended up flipping around and we pleasured each other at the same time. I found it rather hard to concentrate as she blew me, and she found it just as difficult as I ate her out. I eventually stopped, enjoying her lips wrapped around my cock, and she made me cum rather quickly. Once she'd finished me off, I could focus all my attention on returning the favour, though the advantage is that a woman can orgasm more often than a man, so making her cum three times before she simply had to roll off me was certainly a reason for me to grin.

We then cuddled together, as sometimes, you didn't need to have intercourse, and with Gianna, I simply enjoyed just holding her in my arms, particularly when we lay facing each other, my hands running up and down her body, or I'd caressed her face, earning one of those smiles that made my heart flutter each and every time. After turning out the light, she snuggled into my chest as I held her tight, whispering that I loved her. I'll be honest, I hated the thought of leaving the next morning.

She was quiet the next morning upon waking up. We showered together as always, with plenty of cuddling under the hot water. We ate breakfast, but I could see she was already thinking, and as we walked hand in hand towards the docking bay, her hand gripped mine tighter and tighter the closer we got. By the time the ship came into view, she was visibly upset. Miranda was outside waiting for me, as I was the last to arrive, Miranda quickly stating Liara and Shiala were already on board, and then she left me alone.

Hugging Gianna to me, she was not embarrassed about crying this time. "I don't want to leave either," I admitted.

"I know. I feel like a fool..."

I shushed her. "One day, we won't have to do this again. I'll arrive and then we'll be together."

"How long until that happens?"

"I'll admit, I don't know. But I don't plan on being old and grey. I'm doing my duty now, and I'll do it until the job is done, but one day, I will want peace. And when that day comes, I'll return to you for the last time."

She lifted her head so she met my eyes, gently cupping her face as I gave her a gentle kiss. "I love you, Shepard," she whispered.

"And that love is returned. And I promise, I will return before I go through the Omega Four. And I will definitely come back once the job is done."

"I will hold you to that last promise, Shepard."

After a last kiss and cuddle, she let me go, taking a step back as I turned and walked back onto the ship. I stood in the airlock and waved before I pressed the button to shut it, walking through to the cockpit, where Joker was ready for me. "We're going to Omega, Joker. Once we're there, I'll explain further."

"No worries, Commander. I'll have us there as quickly as possible."

Walking through the CIC, Liara and Shiala were standing near the elevator, looking a little awkward, in all honesty. I told them to head upstairs to my cabin as I greeted Kelly with the now standard greeting. "Missed you," she whispered as I hugged her from behind.

"And I you, Kelly," I whispered back, "Big things are afoot. I'll tell you about them later. But we're going to Omega. And once we arrive, I'll be disappearing for a while."

"I assume that's why Liara and Shiala are on board?"

"Correct."

"Then I trust whatever decision you need to make, Shepard. I am still sleeping upstairs though?"

"Liara and Shiala will have their own quarters until we arrive on Omega." I think she sighed with relief so I kissed her cheek. "Kelly, upstairs is our home. Everyone knows, and even they've had it explained. Plus, we're not on Illium. Need to at least be somewhat sensible. Can't be having too many gangbangs and orgies." That made her giggle, so I kissed her again on the cheek before I let her go, heading straight upstairs to my cabin, where I explained how long the journey would take and our preparations before our arrival. Liara explained further the ship she had available and the details she had taken from the disc.

Showing them to their own quarters later that afternoon, they were not offended as the cabin was simply not big enough to comfortably sleep a lot of people, unless they wanted to sleep on the couches. Samara was agreeable to move into the same lounge as Kasumi for a night, allowing Liara and Shiala some privacy in the other lounge. After such a long day, it was little surprise they were almost falling asleep at dinner. I was feeling it as well, so headed upstairs early, enjoying a shower with Kelly, before we headed to bed, where I fell asleep before her for once.

Arriving on Omega in the evening the next day, I had to sit down and explain to Miranda what would be happening over the next few days. She was surprisingly understanding of why I wouldn't be taking the Normandy nor any Cerberus crew going forward. "Whatever you do, Shepard, do not tell a soul what happens while you're away. Not me. Not Jacob. Not anyone wearing the symbol. Not even Kelly."

"Kelly?"

"Oh, she's loyal to you like no-one else on this ship, Shepard, but say she's kidnapped and tortured?" The thought alone pissed me off and it must have shown, Miranda immediately reaching across to grab one of my balled fists. "Exactly. So, whatever happens, don't tell anyone on this ship that may have connections with us."

"You're being surprisingly..."

"I trust you, Shepard."

"And I think that trust is now returned, Miranda. But thank you for not making this difficult."

"Trust me, if you're doing what I think you might end up doing, then it's only a good thing."

Once we docked, the team Liara and I agreed upon gathered on the gangway. I did ask Liara about taking Joker to pilot her own ship, but because he'd willingly joined Cerberus, she didn't trust him completely so had her own pilot ready to take us the rest of the way. Miranda had told the crew we would be dealing with a matter that required the ship remaining on Omega indefinitely, so there were not many questions raised. Garrus, Tali, Thane and Grunt were joining Liara, Shiala and I. We were taking armour and weapons only, Liara assuring us her ship would be stocked with everything else we would need otherwise. The others left before Kelly ran down the gangway to see me off, giving me one hell of a kiss as a parting gesture before wishing me good luck and practically demanding I return alive.

The ship was smaller than the current Normandy, and smaller than the old Normandy, though was large enough we were comfortable. There was a small kitchen and dining area, a small room where there were two rows of three beds, obviously the quarters for other guests, and a large bedroom which was obviously for Liara. The cockpit had two chairs, for pilot and co-pilot, and two behind for navigation and engineering.

We gathered around the table as Liara explained what we'd discovered. "We're heading a relatively uncharted world named Hagalaz. It is not a very nice planet. Its rotation is incredibly slow, so the side facing the nearest sun is extremely hot, more than what any of us can handle, and the other side is freezing cold, so there are two extremes. Somewhere within that is the Shadow Broker. No doubt his hide out is hidden by the furious storms that rage across the surface of the planet. There is something else though.

The Shadow Broker lives on a ship. Not sure exactly of the specifications but it appears it remains in the air almost constantly. I'll guess we'll find out more once we are on board, but obviously that means the ship will need to take us in close that we can get on board then we can deal with the Shadow Broker."

"Deal with as in... kill?" Garrus asked.

"If it comes to it, yes, putting it rather simply."

That revelation certainly gave the rest a moment of pause. I had figured it was her goal ever since she'd started looking into finding the Shadow Broker. She'd simply confirmed what I'd always thought. "It will be at least a two-day journey. I have no doubt the Broker has people watching the comings and goings from the nearest relay, so we'll have to make it to Hagalaz without delay. As you can see, the ship isn't exactly large, by my pilots are trained for this. They will get us to the objective without a problem. After that, it is up to us. Take the opportunity to rest now as I don't think it's going to be pretty once we've arrived."