Matchmaker 05: May

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't know at the time, but I was looking for you."

Her face crumpled as if she was about to cry. "And now that you've found me?"

"I'm finished looking."

She held my gaze for a moment. "How can you be sure?"

I released her face, my heart sinking. I did love her, but it appeared she didn't love me. "How can you be sure of anything in this life?"

"You can't," she murmured.

"You can't, but I'm as sure of this as anything I've ever done, ever said."

She nodded slowly, saying nothing. I'd wait on her. I'd wait for her until I was sure she would never love me, but until then, I'd do everything in my power, bear any burden, pay any price, to earn her love.

As I watched, tears began to well in her eyes. I steeled myself to accept her rejection like a man, not wanting her to see how much the rejection would hurt me. I didn't want her love out of pity.

"I think I love you too."

"It's okay. I'll give... Wait. What?" I asked, my heart suddenly pounding.

"I said I think I love you too."

I stood for a moment, staring at her, struck mute by surprise. Pain and sadness instantly morphed into joy and excitement. I pulled her to me and kissed her as I'd never kissed a woman before, my heart swelling to overflowing with feelings for her. I thought I loved her before? Hearing her confession of love caused the fire burning inside me to become a raging, uncontrollable inferno. I'd never let her go!

I pulled back from the kiss and held her tight, trying to collect myself. She squirmed in my arms and I released her. She pulled back and smiled up me, her hand touching my face with such gentleness. I tipped my face into it, and after a moment, took it and pulled her palm to my lips.

"I love you, Michelle Lynn Abbot," I whispered.

"And I love you, Garret Michael Lemay."

"I promise I'll never hurt you. You've changed me and made me a better person."

She nodded slowly, her smile soft. "And you've helped me accept who I am."

I caressed her cheek. "You're perfect just as you are. Never change."

Her eyes crinkled. I thought maybe she was going to cry, but she smiled. "I don't know about that, but you've—"

"You're perfect," I repeated, cutting her off. "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ever." A single tear crept down her cheek and I kissed it away. "No tears. No one so beautiful should ever cry."

She sniffed and looked away. "Stop, or you'll make me cry."

I gently turned her face back to me. "I'll never make you cry."

She nodded as she sniffed again. "I believe you."

I slowly drew her back to me. "I love you," I whispered as our lip came together.

"I love you too," she breathed as they touched.

I held her, surrounded by nature's splendor, kissing the woman I loved as the sun slowly sank below the horizon.

.

.

.

Brooklyn

"This is Garret," the man's voice panted.

"Mr. Lemay, Brooklyn Lancaster. Am I interrupting?"

Garret chucked. "Yes, and thank God for that. You caught me in the middle of moving."

"If this is a bad time, I can call you back."

"No, this is fine. The movers are gone, and Michelle and I are trying to sort this sh... crap out and get it all put away."

"I won't keep you long. I'm calling to find out how things went between you and Ms. Abbot."

He chuckled again. "I'll be honest with you, I wasn't pleased with you for sticking me out in some God forsaken place in the middle of nowhere, but it all worked out."

I smiled. It appeared my plan to shake him out of his comfort zone had worked. "So you're happy with my services?"

"Extremely happy." He paused for a moment. "It was the best thing that could have happened to me."

"That's good to—"

"Is that Brooklyn?" I heard a female voice call in the background.

"Yes," Garret said, obviously holding the phone away from his face.

"Let me speak to her!"

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?" Garret asked.

"I was going to say that I'm glad it worked out for you."

"It did. I couldn't be happier."

"May I count on you for a reference and referrals?"

"Absolutely."

"Excellent. Since you're busy, I won't keep you."

"Before you go, Michelle wants to talk to you. Here she is."

"Brooklyn! Michelle Abbot! How are you?"

I smiled. I'd liked Michelle before, but at no time during our interview did she sound so alive and animated. "I'm doing well, Ms. Abbot. I hope you're doing the same."

"Great! Thank you so much for everything you did."

"It was my pleasure, Ms. Abbot."

"Call me Michelle."

"Very well, Michelle. You're happy?"

"I couldn't be happier. Don't tell Garret this because it'll go to his head, but he's perfect!"

She giggled and knew that statement was entirely for his benefit. "Your secret is safe with me."

"May I tell you something?" she asked, her tone suddenly serious.

"Of course."

She didn't speak for a moment. I waited, giving her time to compose her thoughts. "You've fixed me. You and Garret. I had... some issues, some things about my life I wasn't proud of. Garret... he's shown me that I don't have to be ashamed of who I am." She stopped, and I was about to speak when she continued. "I can never repay you for that."

"Ms. Abbot, Michelle, all I did was make the introductions. Whatever you and Mr. Lemay discovered about yourselves, you did all on your own."

"Maybe, but somehow you found the one guy in the world that I feel can understand me, and for that, I will be forever in your debt."

"Nonsense. I was well paid for my services. You owe me nothing else." I paused and then smiled. "Having said that, I'm always looking for companions. If you have any friends you think..."

She snickered. "I have one or two. Maybe lightening will strike a second and third time?"

"As I explained to you, I can make no promises, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?"

I could almost see her nodding. "Right! I just wanted to tell you thank you, for everything."

"It was my pleasure, Ms. Abbot."

"Here's Garret again."

"Let me repeat what Michelle said," Garret said when he came on the line. "Thank you for everything."

"You paid me well, Mr. Lemay. Think nothing more of it."

"I understand. I know I wasn't easy, and in hindsight, I'm not proud of how I treated that first girl... what was her name?"

"Randi Carson."

"Right, Randi. She just wasn't right for me."

"But Michelle is?"

"She's the one I've been looking for. I don't know how you did it, but somehow, you did. You found the needle in the haystack, and she was practically in my backyard."

"It doesn't normally work out that way, but I was lucky this time."

"I think it as less to do with luck than some magic you do, but whatever the reason, I'll take it."

"I'm glad you're happy and satisfied with my services."

"Very happy and very satisfied. If you need anything from me, from either of us, you have my number."

"Thank you, Mr. Lemay, for the offer."

"It's my pleasure, Brooklyn."

"Good luck with you move."

He chuckled. "Yeah, thanks. Want to come help? We have pizza."

I snickered. The Garret Lemay I'd first met appeared to be no more. Michelle had tamed the beast. "I would, but I have other clients waiting."

"I understand. That's more important anyway."

"Thank you for understanding. Enjoy the rest of your move."

He chuckled. "Yeah. We're having a blast."

We hung up and I leaned back in my seat, thinking. They both seemed very happy, grateful even to have found each other. I had no crystal ball, but I had a feeling this was a pairing that was going to last. Michelle's comment was interesting, but it was clear they'd provided something the other needed.

I turned my attention back to work, a smile playing on my lips as I began reviewing the latest entries into my app. I had the best job in the world. I was well paid to help people find happiness. Who wouldn't love a job like that, and I very much did.

1...345678