Matrimonium Interuptus

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve recognized the blunt dismissal, turned around and left without saying a word. Rachel, inwardly, sighed with relief and thought, He got the message. Good, one problem less. He can be managed. After a silent moment she asked Miranda, "Who was that?"

Miranda, a little offended by the way Ms. Garlant treated Steve, answered curtly, "That is the ex-husband from my mother. He is going to take care of me."

Rachel was a bit confused now, "So this is your father?"

"No. But I would like him to be very much so."

"Do you know why they are divorced?"

"Yes. And I don't want to talk about it. If you want to know, ask my mother."

Rachel was shocked by the venomous tone with which Miranda answered her questions. She decided to let it rest for the time being.

Two weeks later.

Steve was now officially the guardian of Miranda and, again, sitting before Rachel in her office. Rachel opened with, "Now that you are here in an official capacity it's best, we get to know each other. Can you tell me something about yourself?"

Steve didn't like what he thought of as prying in his life. He told her about his work, though he played it down. He conveniently 'forgot' to mention his education. He told her that he ran half marathons and didn't tell her about his bouldering expeditions to the City of Rocks National Reserve in Idaho, nor his planned vacation to Fontainebleau in France near Paris. He already was mapping out the rocks he wanted to scale on Fontainebleau's website (Bleau.info) and he couldn't wait.

Rachel started to resent the man. He seemingly talked openly about himself but she still knew next to nothing about him. How on earth did he become Miranda's guardian? She asked herself silently. She had to admit that, already, Miranda's results started to improve just as her attitude in school. Rachel decided to take the plunge asking, "You are divorced from her mother, aren't you and you are not Miranda's father. Is that correct?"

Steve thought, here it comes. Prying to satisfy her curiosity because she can't get a hold on me. He answered "That is correct."

Rachel waited to see if Steve started to elaborate. She knew that people were not comfortable with silence in a conversation and almost automatically divulged more that they wanted only to fill the gap.

Not so with this man to her chagrin. Now she was forced to potter on and she was aware that she had to re-evaluate this man. He was way smarter than he let on. She asked in an almost demanding tone, "Can you tell me about the divorce? What was the reason?"

Steve was taken aback by this blunt approach and started to get irritated. He hinted at this irritation in his way of replying, "I can but I won't. You'll have to ask Miranda's mother. I think it's sufficient to say that there was a marital mishap that couldn't be overcome."

Ahhh, Rachel thought, you cheated. You asshole and you don't even have the guts to admit that openly. Coward!

After a few seconds she said, "I think we're done. Thank you for your time."

Steve walked to the door, turned around and said full of scorn, "This was not an introduction, this was a cross examination and I don't know why I deserved this. BUT! Bear in mind that if I even have an inkling that you treat Miranda less than she deserves I am going to cause trouble for you. Good day!"

Rachel's mouth fell open while she looked at the closing door. That parting shot made her weary. That man didn't so much care about her treatment of him but did care a lot about how she treated his ward. He showed that he was very protective toward the girl. She might not like him, but she had to tread carefully on how she treated Miranda.

Over time Rachel noticed that the results from several students were improving considerably including those from Miranda. She was fine with that because her first confrontation with her guardian sat still fresh in her mind.

She had other conversations with Mr. Poulsson as she still called him and during these, he was icily formal. Now she was looking out of a classroom window and she noticed Miranda's guardian's car. Miranda and five other of her pupils climbed joking and laughing inside the big SUV. She was surprised that a man who acted so cold towards some people had six children laughing in his car.

Some days later.

Noa Donne knocked and walked into Rachel's office. "Can I have a word with you?" She asked.

"Of course." Rachel replied surprised, while thinking, But why here? And not in your office? is that asshole complaining about me?

Noa took a deep breath and started, "I got a request from some of your pupils. They want to go camping with Miranda Brandt's stepdad. He told them that would only go when he had permission from the parents and a chaperone from school. That last came literally out of his mouth."

Rachel was appalled and she let it show, "What? That man, camping with six children from this school? Is that wise? He's not exactly a role model, is he?"

Now it was Noa's turn to be shocked, "What exactly do you mean by that?"

Rachel wasn't aware of the sudden cold in the voice of her superior and went on, "Well, he is divorced because he cheated. He is turning Miranda against her mother and has her sleeping in his house. What kind of ideas is he going to put in these children's heads?"

"STOP!" Noa said in a soft but very controlled and commanding voice she went on, "You can't be further from the truth than you are now. I gather that Mr. Poulsson never told you why he and Mrs. Brandt are divorced, did he?"

Rachel knew immediately that she went over the line and was in for a severe reprimand, only nodded affirmative.

"Let me enlighten you. But if I hear anything coming back to me through the grapevine, from what I am going to tell you I am going to make your life very miserable. Understand?"

Rachel wanted to nod again but Noa's voice whipped, "YES or NO!"

"Yes Mrs. Donne." She said in a small voice and suddenly understood why Noa Donne was to become the next principal for this school.

"Ok, come with me. I don't want us to be disturbed."

Back in Noa's office she gestured to Rachel to sit and asked her, "Have you ever bothered to read Miranda Brandt's file?"

Surprised by that question Rachel replied, "Yes, of course. You don't even have to ask."

"Then you noticed that before the last two years, all activities at school for Miranda were in the company of Mr. Poulsson and not her mother?"

"Uhh, no. I didn't notice that."

"I thought so. Mr. Poulsson was the one raising the girl and was her support and rock. With the divorce and an obstinate judge ruling against Steve, sorry, Mr. Poulsson as warden of the girl her world fell apart."

"But as he cheated, that is only logical?"

"For Pete's sake. Who on earth gave you the idea that Mr. Poulsson cheated on his wife?"

"When I asked him why they were divorced he answered that there was a marital mishap and kept vague about it. So, I assumed..." Rachel stuttered

"You assumed wrong. And it's none of your business as to why they divorced. I know firsthand why Mr. Poulsson divorced Mrs. Brandt and that should be enough."

Noa said in a cold voice. "Don't underestimate Mr. Poulsson. He is very intelligent and a very good tutor as you can witness from the result of the children in your class he tutors."

Rachel became a bit weary from all the information she had to take in. "He tutors these children? I saw them getting in his car and it looked like they were having fun instead of going to do schoolwork."

"Yes, he helps them with math and physics, and he gets results as you might have noticed. These are also the ones going on that trip. Now we only need a chaperone. Maybe it's in everybody's interest that you are that chaperone."

Rachel didn't like the idea at all but understood that she had little choice if she still wanted a career at this school. She tried feebly to get out of it. She looked at her shoes, blushed slightly when she confessed, "First; I know next to nothing from camping. Second; He probably doesn't want me with him. I'm quite certain that man hates me by now."

Rachel's blush deepened a bit more when she almost whispered, "I was barely polite to him and he had to push for information about Miranda and you just told me that he is her role-model."

"Mr. Poulsson definitely is, and for a few other children too by now. He is quite a man. You know of my sexual preferences. If he was a woman, my hunting season for him would have been opened long ago. One can do a lot worse than with that man. I suggest that you go to his house. I know that they are preparing for the trip and you as school representative will want to take part of that. Here is the address."

With trepidation Rachel looked at the address and was surprised to notice that she lived close by. The address was at a dead end of a dirt road where an off-road cycling track began. She never knew that there was a house there.

Half an hour later she, very nervously rang the doorbell. Steve opened and Rachel stammered, "I'm the designated school representative for the camping trip."

Steve grinned saying, "Ms. Donne can be quite pushy if she wants something, don't you think? And now you're stuck with me. Shall we call a truce?"

Rachel looked at him, thinking, you don't know the half of it.

Steve just talked on, "I think we got off at the wrong end with each other. Let's start anew. Good afternoon, I am Steve Poulsson, Miranda's guardian. Call me Steve. And you are?"

Steve saw the beautiful fair skinned, red-haired woman blush so hard the freckles almost disappeared while she stammered, "I am Rachel Garlant. Miranda's mentor. I must confess that you are right about Mrs. Donne and that I never slept in a tent. If you don't want me to go with you, I can understand." Was her last attempt to get away from all of it.

"Never mind. I'll manage the camp. You only must tag along, just follow my lead. By the way, do you have a fear of heights? There might be some climbing involved but I won't ask you to do it, if it will embarrass you."

They walked through the house. Rachel spotted some pictures from a man hanging on his fingertips from a ledge. She looked at them and asked, "What is that man doing? Is he mad?"

Steve laughed out loud. It was a warm, hearty laugh. He answered, "Yes I am mad. That is my sport. I climb rocks with my bare hands and a pair of specialized shoes. That is what we are going to do on the trip too, among other things."

Now Rachel understood the calloused hands. She looked again and saw Steve's muscles stand out from the effort and an image of him on top of her in bed flashed hotly through her mind.

They arrived at the workshop and Steve whispered in her ear, "I'm going to make a bit of fun of you to break the ice. I apologize in advance. "Guys, we have an inspection coming so behave yourselves!"

The six children turned around greeted Rachel happily and went on with.... "Climbing? Here?" Rachel exclaimed bewildered.

Steve had built a small climbing wall at the back of the workshop. It was about 20 feet high though the pulleys through which the ropes went made climbing higher than 17 feet impossible.

At the wall were handles in different colors. Their shape was different too. Rachel sat herself at a small stool and watched the children having a very good time. She just started to get hungry when Steve called out, "Ok, everybody down and out of your climbing gear. Wash your hands, Dinner is ready!" He turned to Rachel and said smiling, I reckon it's dinner time for you too. ''Want to eat with the crew?"

One of the children called out, "Steve, what are we having?"

"Quiche. Onion and a vegetable and bacon something. Oh, and one with chicken, bean sprouts, fresh ginger and bell peppers."

"Ohh, nom, nom, nom. Ms. Garlant, You better eat here. That's delicious."

Rachel gave in. In the back of her mind there was a nagging feeling that she was adrift and there was nothing she could do about it. She was amazed at the meal Steve had prepared, wholesome, healthy and delicious.

Steve was firing questions at the children. "We have tents that can sleep 3 people with some luggage. How many tents do we need?"

"Three." Was the immediate answer from one of the girls.

"Why?" Asked Steve?

"Uhh, one for the three girls, one for the boys and one for you and Ms. Garlant." The girl was still for a moment blushed and said, "Sorry, four. You and Ms. Garlant don't sleep in one tent."

"Good, when dealing with people, always take social etiquette into account. Four it is and a tarp."

"Rachel butted in, "Forgive me, what is a tarp?"

One of the boys snickered and Steve immediately nipped it in the bud, "Did I laugh when you had put on your climbing harness the wrong way? I expect your excuses for Miss Garlant, young man."

After dinner Steve said his goodbyes to Rachel with the excuse that he had to take the children home.

Rachel went home confused. The man was undoubtedly a good influence on the children. He talked about discipline during the trip and especially when they were climbing. He made it unequivocally clear that he was the leader and responsible for all of them, including Rachel. She still didn't like him but physically she started to get the hots for him.

When she saw him showing the kids how to scale a route he did so in a sleeveless shirt and climbing shorts. She noticed his musculature, stamina and the bulge in his shorts. She resolved to pack some sexy gym clothes too for climbing.

====

Two weeks later. Thursday morning.

Finally, the minibus for the children was loaded with camping gear and luggage. Rachel would follow in her own car. Silently happy that she wasn't dependent on Steve for transportation and could go home anytime if she wanted to.

After three hours they arrived at the spot Steven selected for his camp. It was at the entrance of a small gorge in the bend of a creek. The spot was reasonably flat, somewhat 8 or 9 feet higher than a small stroke of grass that was just above the waterline and it ended in a pebble beach. The creek had formed a small clear pond that was refreshed on a regular basis by the overflowing creek.

Steve instructed the children to make camp in the higher ground. He carefully explained to everyone that thunderstorms were expected upstream and they can rapidly change the creek in a torrential flood.

That resulted in a major confrontation between Rachel and Steve. Rachel wasn't happy taking instructions from a 'blue-collar', how smart he, or she might be. She told Steve, in front of the children, that she was not his student and she would do as she deemed fit.

Steve almost exploded, counted to one hundred and back again and took out a camera. He handed the camera to Callum. An eighteen-year-old shy nerd with an innate knowledge of everything to do with electronics. Steve told Callum while saying out loud, "Point the camera on Miss Rachel and me and start recording."

Steve walked to Rachel and in a very formal and commanding voice and under the watchful eyes of six students he said, "During the preparations for this camp we ascertained that I am responsible for the camp and the safety of the people partaking in this trip. Consequently, I am the one who decides how some things happen to ensure safety. You can only pitch your tent on that little meadow over there if you release me from the responsibility for your personal safety for that. Otherwise, we pack up, go back home and I will have a hearty conversation with the principal. So, what is it going to be?"

Rachel felt cornered but stubbornly refused to adhere to Steve's instructions, nor to release Steve from his responsibility for her. Steve finally called, "Sorry guys, Put it all back on the bus. We're going home."

The kids grumbled and it dawned on Rachel that Steve was fully committed to follow-up on his threat and she might win the battle but she would definitely lose the war.

She exclaimed exasperated, "OK, have it your way. You are not, I repeat not, responsible for my safety whatsoever so I am going to pitch my tent on the grass next to the creek. Happy now?"

Steve replied, "No, I prefer that you pitch your tent here with the rest of us but since you can't accept my lead and want to take more risk than prudent, you can go ahead with what you want."

The tents of Steve and the children soon were pitched and ready for the night. The tarp was stretched between the trees and soon Steve was making dinner. The children were helping where they could, collecting firewood and cleaning the vegetables.

Steve wrapped a potato for each in silver foil together with herbs and butter and laid them in the fire. Dinner was nice and the rest of the evening was animated. Steve told the children what he had in store for them. Friday they would make a hike to a nearby birds watching post where the forester would explain about the nature preserve.

Steve had a few wildlife video cameras constructed. He would install them in and around the campsite to help make a documentary and later, when they were going home, donate them to the forestry.

Saturday morning would be used for bouldering and climbing and the afternoon for swimming.

Sunday morning another hike, albeit a short one and the afternoon would be used to clean-up the camp for Monday. Rachel heard this all with trepidation. She could have known if she had read Steve's email but then she wasn't interested. The only part she read was the list with what she had to bring.

Friday.

Rachel had to admit that the hike was nice, with balmy weather, small meandering paths, beautiful views and the explanation from the forester, who introduced herself as Patricia Sands was, as Steve promised, very interesting.

She also learned that the nice-looking woman was a good friend of Steve and a fellow birdwatcher. She was the one who arranged permission for the camp dangling the five-video wild-life traps in front of her supervisor.

Patricia also told Rachel that she would come to visit that afternoon to learn to install the traps as Steve, being Steve, constructed them quite different from the standard traps available in the shops and to stay for dinner. Rachel decided to use the afternoon to hear her out about Steve.

That afternoon Steve explained to Tricky, as he called her, that the traps were remotely accessible so one doesn't have to disturb the surroundings, but for a battery chance. That way the possibility of spotting the more reclusive animals became much bigger.

They installed two in, and the rest around the campsite. When done Steve took the children to the site where they would go climbing tomorrow. The women would stay behind enjoying the peace and quiet.

Rachel carefully started, "I know Steve as the guardian from Miranda. We met at school. How did you meet Steve?"

"The birds club booked a tour with the forestry and I was the guide for that tour. Steve was, just like me, recently divorced and we got to talk about it. We liked each other and became friends. He got me hooked on climbing. I will assist you two tomorrow with the children too."

"Is he good at climbing?"

"Hell yeah. Some professional climbers even used him to scout possible climbing routes. He climbed several new routes in Idaho. He could be a successful professional climber but he likes his work even more. Anyway, first he is a good friend of mine now."

Rachel probed some more, "I only know him as the guardian of Miranda, so I don't know him too well. What kind of man is he?"

Patricia inwardly smiled and thought. Just as Steve predicted. She can't get an angle on him.

She gathered her thoughts thinking what she would, or wouldn't tell the woman. "He is rather shy, caring, gentle and very intelligent. Most people underestimate him because he always keeps his cards close to the vest.