Media Matters Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Totally disrespecting the State Supreme Court rulings on scope." said Cindy Ross. "We just keep having to go back to Court, again and again and again and again..."

"And that's part of the plan." I said. "To financially drain all of us, while he uses State tax dollars and legal beagles that earn the same paltry salary no matter how much work they have to do."

"But beyond that, sir," said Joanne Warner, "to go after your wife like that, when it's obvious she cannot be compelled to testify against you. What the heck is he doing---- oh."

"Yes." I said simply, looking at Joanne. She had realized the threat... exposing Laura's career as a badass CIA Agent and ultimately a Deputy Director of the 'Company'.

"Is this retaliation for what your daughter did to the Press yesterday?" asked Teddy Parker.

"Noooo, I don't think so." I said. "I did try to warn the Press that my wife was off-limits, and they obviously did not heed those warnings. And yes, this clearly an orchestrated action between Robert Mullen, Karl Handel, and the deeply corrupt Mainstream Media."

Have I mentioned... that I have a deep and abiding hatred of the Press?

"What are you going to do?" Cindy asked, more fearful than anything else.

"It's war now." I replied, my face a mask of iron.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching Priya's broadcast, which had nothing new regarding the major news of the day, we started the Angels meeting. Cindy was asked to stay at this one, as it involved Physical Properties, one of her assignments as Deputy Chief, and was delegated down to Captain Marc Aaron.

"Okayyyy." I said. "This weekend, MCD and Vice will be getting makeovers. Monitors will be installed at the ends of the room where they are against each other. So Joanne and Theo have to relocate to one of the long side walls."

"Looks like new Detectives coming in are a 'done deal'." said Tanya, her eyes sparkling with perkiness.

"Yes, it's going to happen." I said. "But only two new Detectives to come into MCD. One will be a transfer from Vice. Wanna tell the others who that is, Ms. Perlman?"

"Oh, we can wait until the Orange Order dinner." Tanya said with a big grin.

"Oh, you're going to be seeing 'green' in a minute, Tank or no Tank." Cindy warned, waving a green crowbar in Tanya's direction. I chuckled. Teresa, by way of contrast, stayed quiet.

"Okay, okay." said Tanya, still grinning. "I've talked to Mary, and we think Roy McGhillie is ready. And by that I mean Mary really does agree, and is not just being a yes-woman about it."

"And I agree, also." I said.

"So what are these monitors going to be like?" Tanya asked.

"Matrix of four high-resolution LED monitors, in a 2x2 square." replied Cindy. "They'll cover a big part of the upper wall. It'll be like having four monitors on a desk, and we can have different things on each monitor, or make them into one big-screen TV. Bettina will have never looked better in the morning."

"Oh, please... no." I said. "I couldn't handle that. But seriously, we can have four different channels on the four different monitors, and watch them at the same time. Or four different inputs from drones over the Town if we're doing an operation. It's gonna be awesome."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, time for announcements!" said Tanya Perlman as she drove into MCD.

As taught by a former Boy Scout, the Detectives started it up: "Announcements, announcements, announce-ments! A horrible way to die, a horrible way to die, a horrible thing, to be talked to death, a horrible way to die! Announcements, announcements, announcements!"

"I love being back here." said Tanya with a grin. "Okay, they're going to put up new monitors on the wall... the end wall where Joanne and Theo are sitting. You guys can move behind Jerome, or on the near side, here."

"We'll sit behind Jerome." said Joanne, making the command decision quickly. Teddy Parker was in the corner, along the side wall, with Theo currently to his left. Jerome, his partner, had his desk facing Parkers. Bookcases would separate Jerome's backside from Joanne's, and Theo's desk would face Joanne's, as it did now on the side wall."

"Okay, you'll come in Monday morning and see the changes." Tanya said. "And these desks on the near side wall," she continued, meaning the wall that was against the hallway outside, "will have two new people on August 1st."

That created a sensation. "So it's a done deal, after all." said Theo with a grin. "That lunch Warner is buying me is going to taste all the better." Joanne looked sheepish, but not all that upset to have lost the bet.

"Who are we getting, ma'am?" asked Joanne. "Besides Julia Rodriguez?"

"We haven't formally decided yet!" Tanya exclaimed. "Why do you think she's the one."

"Ma'am," said Teddy Parker, not really looking up from his monitor on his desk as he spoke. "It was done deal when Commander Troy wanted you back here with us, and it is a done deal that Commander Troy wants Rodriguez as a new MCD Detective."

"Our only question," said Jerome Davis, "is who else they're going to bring in here. The pool is favoring Roy McGhillie, but Chris Purvis is running a close second."

"Time will tell on all that." said Tanya. "I do know that nothing is formalized, so keep the pool going..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, Carole and Jim had stayed at home with their grandmother Phyllis, with Cindy's mother Maggie there helping. Bowser was supervising the kids, happy to have them at home, and Buddy was supervising the adults. A Patrol cruiser was stationed at the entrance to the driveway, placed there by Captain Croyle in a show of power against the rabidly hostile Press.

Laura was in her office, and was glad she'd chosen to leave the kids at home. Campus Police had escorted her into the building, and they had violently shoved reporters out of the way to get her there. The reporters were blatantly abusing the restraining order against them, but they didn't give a damn about the law nor anything but their own agenda as they'd tried to physically crush Laura with sheer numbers, relentlessly shouting insulting questions about her marriage.

"God, they're awful." said Callie Carrington, who was in the office with Laura. "They don't care who they hurt. They work as hard as they can to destroy good people's reputations while telling us that criminals are the actual victims to be exalted, and then they try to physically harm people by shoving microphones in their faces."

"Or putting small children in warehouses packed with explosives." Laura said bitterly.

"Yeah." Callie said somberly, no smile on her beautiful face.

"You have no idea how much I despise the Press." Laura continued, spitting the words. "They'll gleefully expose national security secrets, expose our Agents and get them murdered, all in the name of 'the people have a right to know'. Then they whine about rendition programs that keep our soldiers alive... sheesh..." She was looking out the window, introspective. Callie said nothing, not disturbing Laura's reverie.

Some moments later, they heard noises outside. Shouts. Going to the window, Laura peeked out, then said "Turn on the building cams."

The cams revealed that a large number of young women, the majority of them with very short haircuts, had surrounded the Press and were chanting slogans about women's rights. Then they made way for their leader. To Laura and Callie's shock, they recognized the leader as State Senator Katherine Woodburn.

"And we women are sick and tired of being treated like animals!" Woodburn was shouting into microphones, some of them going to loudspeakers. "Dr. Fredricson's choices are her own to make, not Robert Mullen's or Val Jared's to make! Dr. Fredricson has done more for the liberation and freedom of women than Robert Mullen and Val Jared ever have or ever will!" The women roared loudly, especially upon hearing Val Jared's hated name.

"And Paulina Patterson has every right to have her child," screamed Woodburn, "and it's not Val Jared nor Robert Mullen's place to dictate with whom she has that child! Women should be free to make their own choices! We are tired of men telling us what we can and cannot do with our bodies!!" More roars of approval.

Joining Katherine Woodburn was the Town & County's iconic feminist, Councilwoman Malinda Adams. The University itself was technically in her District. Katherine handed her the microphone and she showed no compunction in blasting the Press as well as her favorite political targets: "Dr. Fredricson should not be the target of the Independent State Counsel's investigation! Val Jared is the misogynist! Val Jared wants you women to be thrown back into your homes, barefoot and pregnant! But he only wants you to get pregnant on his terms, not your own!"

The women in the crowd were chanting "Go to hell, Jared, go to hell!" Malinda was not finished:

"And when are you reporters going to start calling out Robert Mullen for delaying his investigation of Val Jared, while wasting time on one of the best friends women have ever had, Dr. Laura Fredricson?!" The women roared, and began chanting some more. The Media people began realizing that they were being surrounded, and that they might be in danger...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yes, dear?" I said into my personal iPhone as I took Laura's call.

"Darling, are you watching television right now?" my wife said.

"No." I replied, resisting the temptation to say I was actually doing some work. I reached for the remote and turned the television on and to KSTD. The demonstration at the Psychology Building was in full blast mode. "Uh oh." I said.

"I don't think we're in any danger, darling." Laura said. "This is actually a pro-Laura demonstration. But the Press may be in some trouble. If these women were militant anarchists..."

"Well, they can always call the Campus Police." I said. "But if you are in any danger, I'll have the entire TCPD and half the State Patrol there instantly."

Laura said she'd call me back if things got worse, and we disconnected. Not being one to let things develop, I called Teresa.

"I'm on it, sir." she said. "We've got eight Patrol Cruisers right across the street, being discreet but watching. And the SWAT Team is putting on their gear. I'll deploy them to a standby position as soon as they're ready."

But our Officers were not needed. Someone in the Press got panicky and called the TCPD, who relayed the call to the Campus Police. The Campus Police, consisting of a few adult, professional Police Officers augmented by a number of fresh-faced college kids who wanted to be Police Officers one day, arrived on the scene. Katherine and Malinda had already left the scene, and the demonstration was dying down. The Campus Police escorted the Press to their vans, and helped them drive out of there.

Katherine Woodburn had left the rally... by going inside the Psychology Building. A moment later, she was shown into Dr. Fredricson's office.

"Senator." Laura said as she rose to her feet to greet her guest. "I have to admit surprise at your presence here."

"Yes, Doctor." said Katherine. "My reasons are actually more practical than political. Can we talk alone for a moment?"

"Oh... this is my research assistant, Callie Carrington." Laura said.

"The Callie Carrington?" Katherine said. "I mean... the one who guest-starred on 'Days of Promise'?"

Callie laughed, then flashed her beautiful smile. "I think my co-star Bowser stole that scene." she said. "But yes, I'm the one. I'm now a research assistant to the best sex professor in the world."

Laura said "Senator, if this is what I think it's about, then anything you say to me can be said before my assistant Callie. Her security clearance is higher than yours, if you get my drift. And please, have a seat."

Katherine nodded, and sat down in one of the chairs in front of Laura's desk, next to Callie. Katherine had heard of the 'two sofas' in Laura's office, and wanted no part of them... unless Dr. Fredricson's husband was fucking Katherine's cunt with his iron-hard cock...

Bringing herself back to the present, Katherine said "You're right. I was asked to... 'assist' the Federal Government in bringing pressure on Mullen to stop investigating you. There are people who believe his investigation is not in the best interests of our national security, and since I'm one of the few who know who you truly are, they came to me. They will also be speaking to Mullen directly."

"I appreciate that." Laura said. "I'm surprised more people don't know about my CIA career. My name and position in the Company was never a State secret." She wasn't kidding... some people's names with the CIA are a State secret. But I digress...

"Well, I didn't know your lovely young assistant was with the Company until just now." Katherine said. "The truth is... people don't pay attention to things. Mr. Mullen will be made to pay attention to some things, however, so we ask you to just keep quiet and let us handle it... in the interests of national security, of course."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Some time later, as he reviewed files for his upcoming actions, Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen was shocked to see his door open, and more shocked to see who walked in. It was State Senator Katherine Woodburn.

"How did you get past my assistant?" Mullen said angrily.

"Oh, she's taking a late lunch." said Katherine. "I want to talk to you."

"And you couldn't make an appointment?" snarled Mullen.

"I could," replied Katherine, "but I don't think you're going to want this visit on your appointment books. I'm here about your subpoenas for Dr. Laura Fredricson."

"What about them?" said Mullen.

"You might want to consider... dropping them." said Katherine. "Dr. Fredricson is much more than just Commander Troy's wife. She is a friend of people at very high levels of Government... higher than both our pay grades put together."

"So what?" said Mullen. "Does that make her above the law?"

"In some ways... yes." said Katherine. "Seriously, you are not going to be allowed to subpoena her. You can't expect her to testify against her husband anyway, so there's no harm in conceding this one. Let it go. Forget about Laura Fredricson."

"Yeah, right." muttered Mullen. "I am afraid, Senator, that this meaningless conversation is taking time from my pursuit of justice... and the destruction of the Iron Crowbar you supposedly hate so much."

"Ah, you misconstrue my loyalties and loves." said Katherine. "One last time... drop the subpoenas against Fredricson... or find out what 'exterminate with extreme prejudice' truly means. I'll find my way out, as i found my way in." With that, Katherine left. It appeared that Mullen was an idiot, and would need his suppositions redirected.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yes, dear." I said at 7:10pm, still Tuesday, July 10th. "I'll be home as soon as I run this errand. Got to meet a confidential informant... Oh yes, I'll have someone watching my back, Commander Ross... yes, ask Callie to have dinner with us, and I'll bring Cindy... okay, I love you. Bye."

I disconnected and put my personal iPhone back in its sleeve then into my pocket. "Okay," I said to Cindy, "are you ready to go?"

"Sure." Cindy said. "Any idea what this is about?"

"Some idea." I said. "I got a text from a burner phone, asking me to meet a person at Ronald Reagan Park, on the backside near the River... where we had the May Cialis crime scene and saw the Slender Man."

"He better not show up again." Cindy muttered.

"I don't think he will." With that, we left my office and went to my Police SUV. We drove out to Ronald Reagan Park. I used and abused my authority as Police Commander to drive where most vehicles are not permitted, and we parked near the disc golf teepad of the hole that paralleled the River on the north side of the hill of trees.

"There he is." I said, pointing to a figure sitting on a bench, overlooking the River about 100 feet north of us along the Riverwalk path. Cindy stayed with the vehicle while I walked up the path.

As I approached, I said "You wanted to see me, Mr. Hudson?" The man peered up at me, recognized me, then asked me to sit down.

Yes, it was Reed Hudson, the Conservative radio talk show host. He does not look like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. He was in his upper 30s, with very black hair and thick black plastic glasses. He looked 'not unlike' the character 'Moe Green' in the Godfather movie.

"Yes, Commander, thank you for coming." said Hudson. "I would've come to your office at the Police Station, but the Press watching the building would've seen me go in."

"It's fine." I said. "What's it all about?"

"As you know," said Hudson, "I have some moles within the Press Corps, some people who want honest journalism and are disillusioned by the mixture of agenda-driven dishonesty and corporatism-fueled greed that is the corrupt Media today. And I've gotten some information from them that I thought was urgent enough to need to pass along to you."

"Sure, and I appreciate it." I said. I looked around, seeing no one but Cindy in the distance. "Go ahead, tell me."

"The Press is going to begin a full, all-out, attack on your wife, beginning tomorrow morning." said Hudson. "The A.G. is laying the groundwork right now. It's all Republicans doing this, to get at you and to get at Jared. The Press is going to smear your wife's name like nothing you've ever seen. If you thought what they did to Paulina and you over your daughter was bad... as the saying goes 'you ain't seen nuthin' yet'."

"What particularly are they going to say?" I asked, very worried that the Press was going to bring up Laura's CIA past, her orders to terminate people with extreme prejudice, her authorizations of operations our Nation needed done but would shock people...

"They're going to smear her as the 'sex professor', question her morals, her integrity." said Hudson. "They're also going to begin attacking the University for defending her." He then dropped his voice and said "And if push comes to shove... and if you continue to hold out against Mullen, and it will come to that... then they're going to attack the University by exposing the Harlan-Gonzales scandal, and they're going to say your wife was personally behind the cover-up..."

To be continued.