Meet Me In Memphis

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Seriously?" She commented then laughed.

"Hey, I'm going to Memphis, so I figured why in the hell not?" They both chuckled as Sam pulled away from the curb and began the hour and a half drive north on US 1.

Eric's Coach ticket was waiting for him at the counter. He was wearing his uniform shirt less the epaulets and a pair of navy blue slacks. The man behind the ticket counter studied him intently as he waited for the printer to finish spitting out the coupons.

"I've seen you around here before."

"It's possible. I used to work for this Airline several years ago."

The agent snapped his fingers then pointed at Eric. "Manning! No, Moore! No,...Matthews!"

"Eric Martin"

"That's right! I remember you. It was my first month here and I screwed up really bad. But you helped me fix my mistake before my supervisor found out! Dude! You saved my life, bro!"

"I'm sorry that I don't remember," Eric answered. "But I'm glad that I could help you out. All in a day's work, right?"

There wasn't another customer in line behind Eric, so the agent stepped out from behind the counter and gently took Eric by his elbow. He led him over to another door with a sign that read 'Employees Only' and they stepped inside. The agent then led him to the Pilot Lounge and ushered him in. There was a pilot standing at a computer terminal obviously checking weather, NOTAMs, and other pertinent preflight data.

"Hey, Eddie. You've got the 4222 today, right?"

"Yeah," Eddie responded before looking away from the screen and turning to face the pair. A sudden look of recognition washed over his face. "Well, I'll be a sunuva bitch! Eric Martin! As I live and breathe!"

"How 're you doin' there, Eddie?" Eric inquired as he extended his hand for a shake.

"Of course, you do know that the most popular rumor out there is that you got swallowed up by a Black Hole or sumthin'" Eddie chuckled.

"You want the truth?"

Eddie simply nodded.

"It was a woman. Erin ditched me to go play Indiana Jones. So yeah, I dropped off of the face of the earth."

"Isn't it always a woman? So what brings you to the Luv Bird today?"

"A woman." Eric said. The three men suddenly broke out laughing. As he was catching his breath, he managed to spit out, "I've got something waiting in Memphis to attend to."

"Make sure that you refund his ticket." Eddie said to the agent. Then turning to Eric, "Come with me old man!"

Eric was ushered past the security screening with his duffle. The agent had already tagged and loaded his suitcase for the baggage bay. When they boarded the Boeing 737-8, Eddie whispered into the head stewardess' ear. She politely took the duffle from Eric and stowed it in a compartment next to the entry door. Eric was then shown into the cockpit and ushered to a jump seat. The First Officer arrived shortly afterwards. Noticing Eric's attire, nothing looked out of place to him so he shook hands and then eased into the right-hand seat.

The flight to Atlanta was uneventful even though weather was building in. It was precipitating a drizzle at Hartsfield-Jackson when they touched down. After they were parked at the gate, Eric thanked both pilots for their courtesy and slipped out of the cockpit.

Another surprise awaited Eric when he reached the bottom of the gangway. A beautiful redhead in a Southwest Airlines Sport Coat uniform was standing at the exit looking for him. She ushered him to a Golf Cart where Eric dropped his bag in the rear seat and climbed aboard as instructed. She drove him through the airport to the Gate where his connecting flight would depart. She whispered a few quick words to the gate attendant there before shaking hands with Eric and driving away.

Eric was dozing lightly in the executive lounge when he heard his name called out over the public address system. "Would Passenger Eric Martin please report to Gate C Ten for immediate boarding. Passenger Eric Martin to Gate C Ten please! Thank you."

Eric walked around the corner and was greeted by the same attendant that he had seen earlier.

"Thank you for coming so promptly! This way, sir!"

She ushered Eric aboard the empty plane and directed him to be seated in the first row of first class on the starboard side of the cabin. The Captain was only a few seconds behind them. He and the attendant danced around each other as they both tried to pass through the cabin entrance at the same time. Looking over at Eric, the Captain greeted him.

"So you're our special VIP passenger today! Welcome aboard. I'm Captain Baldwin. They tell me that you are 737 type rated."

"Yes sir. But I don't have a medical that is current."

"Well fortunately for you," Captain Baldwin joked, "a current medical is not required to be a First Class passenger! Just relax and enjoy the ride!"

Chapter Seven

It was raining heavily in Memphis when Captain Baldwin set the Boeing down on the main runway. He shook hands with Eric once again before they parted ways. Eric made his way into the terminal and headed for baggage claim. His suitcase was nearly the last piece of luggage to slide onto the carousel from the conveyor belt.

Eric asked the taxi driver to take him down Beale Street and Union Avenue before they turned south on US 51. The Driver slowed as they passed the gates to Graceland, but Eric was more interested in the Convair 880 parked across the street on the plaza. There probably wasn't a commercial pilot in North America that didn't know something about the 'Lisa Marie'.

They continued on through town and pulled up to the cottage house at the address that Eric had provided. As he stepped out of the cab and collected his bags, Eric admired the home in front of him. He slipped the driver a $20.00 tip and thanked him for taking the extra trouble by following the circuitous route that Eric had requested.

Erin had been pruning her rose bushes in the back yard when she heard the noise of the taxi pulling up to the curb and the slamming of the car doors. With her curiosity getting the best of her, she rounded the corner and stepped through the carport and into Eric's view.

'My God!' He thought as he dropped his bags on the front lawn. 'She is still just as beautiful as she ever was!'

Erin had tears forming in her eyes as she immediately recognized her former fiancee. The pruning shears were the first thing to fall from her hand and tumble to the driveway. As she took a few more tentative steps forward, she quickly pulled her gardening gloves off of her hands and tossed them to the ground as well. She broke into a hard run and crossed the distance between them in record time, leaping into Eric's arms.

"I'm sorry! I'm so, so sorry!" Erin bawled over and over as she planted kisses all over Eric's visage while in a full-blown emotional meltdown.

"It's okay, baby. I'm here now. It is going to be okay."

"You came!"

"I'm here."

Epilog

Eric and Erin were married a month later. Eric had reached into his pocket that first day on Erin's front lawn and pulled out the little cube shaped box that contained her original engagement ring plus the other pieces to the wedding set that she would later wear. She didn't hesitate for even a split second before it was back on her left hand.

Once they had gone inside the home, Eric unzipped the duffle bag and brought out the next gift that he had secured. The matching Tee Shirts that he had commissioned. Each shirt was a Navy Blue and featured two diesel locomotives coupled together at their 'B' ends. The make and model of the locomotives was General Motors Electro Motive Division "E-7a" painted up for a passenger train known as 'The Texas Special'. Below the picture was a caption that read simply "Twin E's".

Erin's mother got together with her best friend and together they threw a new wedding in record time. She even managed to track down Luisa Morales nee Hernandez for Erin. Erin had requested that she stand as Maid of Honor if she could be found. Luisa had not hesitated to accept the position eagerly. Nick, Sam, and Dave all received round trip tickets to William P. Hobby airport.

Eric had placed an application with FedEx in Memphis and been quickly hired as a First Officer. His next move was to locate a Rockwell 1000 Aero Commander in excellent condition for sale. He picked up his friends from Florida with it and flew them from Hobby down to Scholes Field in Galveston, where the wedding was to take place. Nick stood as Eric's best man when the couple was wed at The San Luis Resort.

When asked about the property in Memphis, Erin had responded with the story of a spinster Aunt who had recently passed away without any direct heirs. In her will, she had directed that the eldest child of her favorite sister be given the property. Erin had attended the funeral and was told to remain in town for the reading of the will. She had no idea what was coming. After receiving her property deed, she realized that she had not accomplished anything productive in all of her travels other than getting to see how the rest of the world lived. She had had enough and it was time to put down roots.

Over the course of the next twelve years, Erin bore six children for Eric. Donovan (Donny), Danielle (Danny), Desiree (Desi), Daniel, Dixie, and David. Eric decided to indulge one more time when an opportunity arose to purchase a B-26 bomber. He kept it restored and in good flying condition, often taking time off from work to perform in certain airshows around the country. Erin eventually got her own pilot's license, commercial multi instrument and a type rating for the B-26. With a last name of Martin, it was fitting that they flew an aircraft built by Martin® together. Flying the airshow circuit with her husband was plenty enough to feed Erin's wanderlust.

She never again strayed from Eric's side. They both lived to be 88 years old surrounded by children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren who all loved them dearly. Eric's heart finally gave out and he passed peacefully in his sleep one night. Erin only lasted about 9 months longer before she too was gone. Her own heart couldn't take the loss of her soulmate. They chose to be buried side by side in Hitchcock, where it had all began.

{The End}

[Appendix]

Lyrics by Jimmy Buffett

[Verse 1]

He's holed up down on Ramrod Key in the Tavenier Hotel

Livin' out his loneliness like an oyster in a shell

By days he pulls the trap line

By night he lives alone

Don't really feel like company it's just him and his fridge and his phone

[Chorus]

Meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

That's where I'll be (that's where I'll be)

I'm by the river (oooh oooh) please come back to me

Meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

My wild days are through

And nothin' replaces (oooh oooh) me next to you

[Verse 2]

He's been there since she ran away

She said she needs some space

Occasionally she still calls collect

From some god forsaken place

Then one day a letter came

Postmarked Tennessee

And the envelope scent

And the postage spent

Well it lit up her old memory

[Chorus]

Meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

That's what she said (that's what she said)

Too much for a letter (oooh oooh) please come here instead

Meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

My wild days are through

Still nothing replaces (oooh oooh) me next to you

[Verse 3]

I know she could break my heart again

But I'm gonna play and I'm gonna win

Where Otis would play

Da da da dock of the bay

[Chorus]

Meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

That's where I'll be (that's where I'll be)

I'm by the river (oooh oooh) you're by the sea

Oh please, meet me in Memphis (meet me in Memphis)

My wild days are through

Still nothing replaces (oooh oooh) me next to you

If something feels a little bit off about the first time that Eric and Erin kiss, it is because the story had to be changed to satisfy the Literotica Moderator. For some reason, Lit views simple kissing between teenagers as sexual activity. Personally, I think that you have to go beneath the clothing before it becomes sex. The story has a lot more meaning and depth if they fall in love at the age of 16 instead of 18.