Mei Valentine

Story Info
Awkward names join two strangers with Valentine's Day love.
17k words
4.78
9.1k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
rawallace
rawallace
448 Followers

Author's note. This is my submission for the Valentine's Day Contest. I hope you enjoy this slow burning romance story as much I liked writing it. Please vote knowing whatever vote you cast it is appreciated. I extend my deepest gratitude to Privates1stClass for his critique and editing of this story.

*

At first, I had loved my job as I enjoyed working with people. What would be better than serving as a public servant providing an essential service? Now, after two years the novelty had worn off and the dull routine of the job had become increasingly evident. My friendships with colleagues had kept the job bearable over the past three months. But, Ted, our branch manager, was the source of a problem worse than boredom. Especially once it became known I had broken up with my boyfriend. My life was, to be kind, boring—but a mess.

I looked at the handsome man as he stood at the front of the line with papers in hand from my seat behind the counter—I expected it was an application for a driver's license along with his birth certificate, proof of insurance, plus a car title as proof of ownership. It appeared as if he were in the correct line—something I thought should happen more often. Many people didn't read the directions posted in full view as they entered the branch office of the Ohio Secretary of State's office. There were days when I really didn't want to be here and this was one of them. I hoped he wasn't going to be another reason to add to the list that would have convinced me I should have taken a sick day. Several other patrons before him had done that already—the other reason was behind me in the branch manager's office.

I motioned for him to move forward to the counter in front of me while trying not to seem any more interested in him than any of the other men in the room. Truth was, I had noticed him while waiting on the lady before him. It hadn't taken much for me to pick up on his rugged good looks. I shifted in my seat a little to accommodate the feeling growing warm and moist where it shouldn't be while at work. I shouldn't have noticed the brief glances he sent my way and felt guilty because I had—though I wasn't sure why I should feel that way. There were few attractive distractions from the mundane to brighten my days at work most days.

"You're here for what purpose?" I asked with a practiced smile as he stood in front of me.

"I need to apply for a driver's license as my current Michigan license is due to expire in a few weeks. I decided I may as well get new plates too as I've just moved here and my current ones expire in July." It was far more information than I had asked for, but I decided to ignore the fact and set about mentally organizing my work.

"Okay, let's start with your driver's license first, I'll need at least two documents for proof of identity. Your current driver's license with photo ID and birth certificate, or current passport," I replied as if I were a recording.

I took his proffered documents as my eyes met his and felt a hitch as my body recorded the intensity of his brown eyes and glowing smile—I squirmed again in my chair to resolve the feelings I shouldn't have. I looked at the name on his driver's license: Rufus Ulysses Goodfellow. I couldn't help but smile. Rufus! He didn't look like a doofus—I cringed at the realization I had actually thought it. Particularly since I wasn't overly enthusiastic about my given name either—Mei Valentine, no middle initial.

"That's alright, everyone does it," he said casually.

I looked up from the papers with a puzzled expression. "Does what?"

"Think of doofus when they see my name, I'm used to it. But what choice do I have? Ulysses isn't much better."

I felt my face go red with embarrassment. I thought to myself. What do I do now? Pretend I didn't think it and simply move on?

"I'm really sorry. I thought Rufus was such an unusual name and...well...the other word just popped into my head."

"Like I said, don't worry about it. It happens all of the time."

I looked back down at his application form, compared the names on his documents and looked up hoping I had regained some semblance of normal coloration.

"Okay, let's move over to the end of the counter to station five, and we'll get an updated photograph for your new license. Wait! Before we do that, we may as well get your new plates taken care of." I was still feeling a bit of heat on my face and this misstep hadn't done anything to reduce it.

He handed the rest of the documents in his hand to me and I looked them over. Hmmm, new pickup truck from the last model year, full insurance, and title showing ownership. I was really trying to be professional at this point, feeling embarrassed and horny at the same time was a novel experience for me.

"Do you have a specific plate design in mind?" I asked automatically.

"Yes, I would like this one," as he handed the brochure to me with a plate circled in black on it.

I was impressed, fully 70 percent of people I asked hadn't made a selection beforehand, slowing the process down as they tried to make a selection while standing in front of me.

"Great! Now, we can get your photograph and new license once I have some information entered into the system for your new plates," as I started entering the information into the system on my keyboard. I finished the process of getting his photograph taken, creating the new license and then handing everything to him after he made payment. He smiled, said thank you and headed for the exit. I was watching his behind when I heard my name softly spoken behind me.

"Mei, it's almost noon, aren't you going to take lunch?"

I turned to Gloria with a smile, "Thanks, I didn't notice the time."

She stepped up next to me and whispered into my ear, "Pretty hard to know what time it is when you're focused on such cute buns."

If someone else had said that to me, I would have died of embarrassment on the spot. Gloria and I had been friends for so long I knew she was simply trying to get a rise out of me. She was the one bright spot in my day I could count on.

"Oh, like you weren't getting a good look too," I whispered back with a smile.

"Yeah, but I didn't get as worked up as you did. I'll bet it's time for a panty shield," as she walked back to her chair with a mischievous smile plastered across her face.

Damn, if she wasn't right, he had done it. I headed straight to the bathroom to do what was needed and when I finished went to my locker. I took out my purse so I could pay for lunch at the sandwich shop a mile away. I had just reached my car and unlocked the door when I noticed my rear left tire was completely flat. There wasn't even enough air to limp to the corner gas station without taking the chance of ruining both the tire and the wheel.

I felt utterly dejected; this just wasn't something I needed. Men and cars, far more trouble than they were worth all too often in my opinion I thought. I was contemplating whether I should open the trunk to get the jack and spare tire out or go to the donut shop at the end of the mall to eat when I heard movement behind me as a male voice proclaimed.

"Looks pretty flat. Can you use some help? I'd hate to see you dirty your skirt or ruin a pair of nylons."

I turned to see Rufus standing proud and tall, snug fitting jeans and all. I shrugged my shoulders, then replied knowing my body language wasn't really saying anything other than the disgust I was feeling.

"I was going to go to lunch, but if I take the time to change the tire, I won't have enough time to get to the sandwich shop and back without being late. I was just trying to make up my mind if I should go to the donut shop to eat and change the tire after I get off of work. I mean it's not like the tire can get much flatter," as I kicked the bulging tire with the toe of my shoe.

"Okay, I have a suggestion to make—feel free to take it or leave it. You know it's something of a man thing to want to help a damsel in distress and judging from the expression on your face, you're distressed."

I felt my stomach give a low growl. "Okay, let's hear it, my face isn't lying," I replied trying to show I was open to a possible solution.

"I haven't had lunch yet myself, so why don't you and I go to the sandwich shop to eat? Then I'll bring you back, so you can return to work. Then, while you're working I'll change the flat tire out for you. That way you won't have to call a tow truck or dirty your clothes changing it yourself."

I looked at him, not sure if I should trust him or not—just another man hitting on me. I was still mulling it over as I already knew what he was capable of doing to me when he spoke again.

"Do you happen to know Larry Goodfellow from Stockwell? He's my cousin and I'm staying with him and his wife until I get an apartment. I know you don't know me, so maybe that will help you decide. I don't go around picking up strange women."

I did know Larry, we went to high school together and his family was well respected. I looked at Rufus with a frown, "So, you think I'm strange?"

"No, no. That's not what I meant...you...well...come on...I...was..."

"Rufus, most people don't come to that conclusion until they've eaten at least one meal with me. Let's go, I'm getting hungrier by the minute," immediately thinking I could have sounded a bit more appreciative.

It took five minutes to get seated in the restaurant before we sat down with our sandwiches. My stomach had already made itself evident twice with its rumbling. Rufus must have heard it from across the table.

"Either you're really hungry or there's a bear hiding under the table," he laughed.

"Sorry, but I didn't have much of a breakfast this morning. Rufus, I'm sorry, but I haven't even introduced myself—I'm Mei Valentine, my first name is spelled 'M-E-I', my friends call me "Val" for obvious reasons."

I watched for a reaction on his face. He smiled. I was afraid I would hear the same old response of a laugh and the refrain, 'Oh, like My Valentine.' Instead, he looked at me with a sympathetic expression.

"You too? Why do parents do this to their children?"

I stopped chewing my food in response, not quite believing what I had just heard. I finished chewing, swallowed, and replied, "I don't know, my parents have always told me I was special as I was born on Valentine's Day. It seemed like the perfect name to them at the time and I've learned to live with it."

"Have you ever thought of having it changed?" he asked earnestly.

"No, not really. My parents are wonderful and I couldn't do that to them. Like I said, I'm gotten used to it. It's who I am, and someday when I'm married it will change anyway."

He smiled, "I guess that provides an additional incentive for getting married."

I gave a light laugh, "You have no idea how many times the guys I've dated have suggested that very thing."

He looked at me with a wry smile after glancing at my left hand, "I guess that incentive hasn't been strong enough yet."

"I'm not hard up enough to get married just to change my last name. When I find the right guy I'll say yes. Until then, I'm Val," I replied thinking of Craig, which produced a feeling of heartache.

"I can understand that."

"So, do you have a nick name?"

"Ya, sort of, I go by Ruf. My parents came up with it and it's stuck with me. I was named after my paternal grandfather so I don't dare think about changing it."

"What about your middle name?"

"Same thing, only my maternal grandfather. There's no escape for me," he replied with a hint of resignation.

We continued talking, and before I knew it we had to make haste to get back to my office. I handed Ruf the key to my car and ran inside just in time to be in my chair almost to the second. I didn't want to give any ammunition to our branch manager, Ted, to approach me. He knew I had broken up with my boyfriend, Craig, and had been asking me out ever since. The problem was he didn't take the hint I wasn't ever going to say yes—he simply made more suggestive and off-color comments as if it would turn me on—it was getting old, in fact, it was old.

I didn't need the stress that would be associated with dating my boss—even if I had been attracted to him; which I wasn't in the least. I was considering lodging a formal complaint but feared it would result in my being transferred to another branch many miles away. It would obviously be even more uncomfortable if I did and continued to work at this office—it would take a while as it was pushed through Human Resources. I had heard enough horror stories to know it wasn't for me and prayed it wouldn't be much longer before Ted understood it wasn't ever going to happen.

It was about an hour later when Ruf walked in and waited for a high sign from me to return my keys. I thanked him and watched as he exited the office just as Gloria slid in behind me. "How do you manage to draw a guy like that after you wait on him one time?"

I turned with a smile, "It's not what you think; he was just being helpful. I know his cousin and wife."

"Val, I can think of a way he could help me and he would be on top panting into my ear."

I gave her the stink eye and called my next customer to the counter.

Afternoon break arrived and I decided to go out to inspect the tire on my car. The spare was mounted and I decided to open the trunk to look at the flat tire and return the jack and handle into their proper place. I was surprised to see the tools were stowed where they belonged and the tire was stored fully inflated. Ruf had gotten the tire repaired, the chalk mark where the leak had been found was clearly visible.

I drove home to my apartment and prepared supper thinking it would be nice to sit and read for a while to relax. Reading always seemed to work as a good release and take my mind away from the painful breakup I had suffered. I still missed Craig, despite the fact I really shouldn't as he had spread lies that I was spending time with two guys in a threesome. He had told our friends I was to blame for our breakup. I told him I had never done such a thing. He didn't believe me and wouldn't divulge who had told him such a thing. Why I even cared for him now was illogical, but my emotions had failed to fully reconcile the differences.

What was even stranger, however, was I had started fantasizing about having sex with two men at a time after I heard the rumor. Visions of one of them kissing me on the lips, neck, and breasts while the other gave me head, my legs spread wide kept popping into my mind. The fantasy had morphed after a while into my lying naked on the bed, one guy humping the daylights out of me while the other watched, then when he first finished, the other flipped me onto my stomach and took me from behind while I gasped at his deep penetration. Where all of that came from I couldn't imagine, none of my romance novels had ever come close to suggesting such a thing. I was beginning to think I was aberrant in my sexual desires after a few times. At least, I wasn't fantasizing about Ted doing me.

The week passed, and on Friday afternoon Gloria asked me if I had plans for the weekend. When I told her I planned to attend the street fair being held in town this evening I would be staying late for the live bands. They would play starting at six o'clock. Gloria grew excited, saying she had another date with Burt, her third in as many weeks and they planned on going to see the bands. She suggested we could meet and I agreed, no reason to sit all by myself for the entire evening.

I was ready to leave work when Ted walked out of his office. When he saw me he made a beeline in my direction and I didn't have a way to escape as he was between me and the exit. I tried to look as if I were in a hurry, giving him a jaunty, hurried, "I have to get going or I'm going to be late."

"Val, I heard you and Gloria talking. I know you're staying in town for the festival and street fair. How about I take you to dinner and we can walk around for a while together."

"Thanks, Ted, but I do have an appointment to get my nails done right after work. If I see you in town maybe we can do something."

Knowing just as soon as I said it I had screwed up big time. I'd just thrown a big juicy steak to the male lion who wanted only one thing—to get me into bed after he ate. I cursed silently to myself as I heard his reply saying he would look for me.

I knew now I had to get my nails done or I'd be caught in a lie, not that I should have cared. The salon was at the end of the strip mall our office was located in, so I walked down and stepped inside a minute later. The place was devoid of customers, with two beauticians standing talking to each other as I walked in, one of whom I knew pretty well.

"Val, what can I do for you?"

"Hi, Sally, can you squeeze me in for a manicure?"

"Sure, you'll be my last customer of the day."

She led me to her station and I sat down, placing my purse next to me. We started talking as I watched out the window, wondering if I should skip going to the street fair and concert. I felt frustrated, Ted was making my life miserable at work and now I had made it possible for him to ruin my night out. Damn it!

"So, is your boss, Ted, making life rough on you?"

I gave Sally a sharp look, then softened my expression as I wondered how she knew.

"Sorry, Val, I see it's a sore spot."

"How did you know?"

"Two of the other girls who work in your office come here every couple of weeks together. They talk—I listen. Ted had done the same thing to them until they got engaged, then he backed off. I guess when you broke up with Craig it made you his next target. He's a real jerk, not that Craig was a whole lot better after he started those rumors about you."

"You know about that too?" I asked dejectedly.

"Val, this town isn't that large. Of course I do. Gossip is the one thing this job is never short of. Next best thing to being a bartender, only you don't have to deal with drunks. Well, not often anyway," she snickered.

"Yeah, my luck with men seems to be at an all-time low. Craig was a mistake, I know that now."

"What about that guy I saw you with in the parking lot earlier in the week? He was handsome as hell."

"Guy in the parking lot," I mumbled half to myself trying to remember who it might have been.

"You know, the guy who changed your flat tire. We had a good time watching him out the window. That man had a face and body that almost made me want to cry—they shouldn't make men who look that good."

"Oh, him. That was a guy I waited on earlier that morning. He was walking by and offered to help when he saw my tire was flat. I haven't seen him since. He says he's new to the area and is living with his brother and sister-in-law near Stockwell."

We went on to talk about other topics, and when we were nearly finished with the second coat of clear gloss nail polish. I looked out the window and saw Ruf. He was walking to his pickup truck with a large brown paper bag in this hand bearing the logo of the hardware store next door. I hadn't pointed him out, but found I didn't need to.

"Look, there he is now. That's the guy," Sally said as she leaned towards the window. "Tell me that isn't a fine looking guy."

The other girl walked over and looked out and exclaimed, "Oh, lordy! What I would do with him for a night."

I heard the two of them laugh. I couldn't help but agree as I watched him open the door and get in. I remembered what was on his driver's license—brown eyes, brown hair, height 5'7", weight 155 lbs., uncorrected vision. I found myself giving a little sigh. He was a really good looking man—not that it made a lot of difference as I reached for my purse to pay my bill.

Half an hour later I was sitting eating at an outdoor table watching people on the street as they looked at the wares on the vendors' booths. It was a beautiful late-May day, the temperature in the low seventies, comfortable enough for the light blouse I had worn under the sweater I had taken off. I wandered slowly towards the small park holding the gazebo where the bands would set up while looking at the booths for nothing in particular. I had reached the grassed area outside the gazebo when I heard my named called and then saw an arm waving—it was Gloria.

rawallace
rawallace
448 Followers