All Comments on 'Memory'

by SleeperyJim

Sort by:
  • 73 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Meh. Your writing has gone backwards. Three stars only.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Like it, but really want to have much more retribution on the wife and the twin retards

PierremanvisPierremanvisover 2 years ago

Simply brilliant. Innovative and well expressed. Just loved it. But then what one would expect from SJ. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5*....thanx!

Loklie

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 2 years ago

oh damn i want to like it, man, i do, but it just too close for home for me. i come here for emotion. but hey cool points for something diff :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Really stupid

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Oxford or Manchester make up your mind and 1st class awards aren't based on last minute cramming.

I'll not go on about someone doing astrophysics research and rocket design, let's guess that it's the pills.

After it settled down, it was a unique-ish way of discovery. I've read the cheater being photographed in the wrong place before.

The burning was amusing but I can see why he lost friends if he held onto that attitude.

amygdalaamygdalaover 2 years ago

Man that was an amazing bit of storytelling.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 2 years ago

Today is one good day.

I read two superior literary pieces that made my day.

After all the pile of cuck stories this week,

Sleeperyjim and laptopwriter made my browsing in LW today,

a worthy endeavor.

Much obliged to both authors.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Best part was the apology at the end. The rest so-so.....

TajfaTajfaover 2 years ago

I really liked the build up but felt she got off a bit lightly. 4 stars

WargamerWargamerover 2 years ago

Not bad, but just a tad too civilised for my taste.

Scores 3/5

secretsalsecretsalover 2 years ago

Oof. That might have simultaneously been the most brutal and the most civilised takedown of someone I've read around these parts. Great writing, as always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

That was oddly entertaining!

.

The biggest thing I came away from it was how matter of fact Daniel took the cheating of his wife with the 2 assholes. Pretty much established that his marriage was “in name only” by that time anyway. That she both cheated AND didn’t fight to keep him said she was in the same boat.

.

4 ****

WvrjjrWvrjjrover 2 years ago
Very nice Sleepery. 5*

This was crafted well, brought the reader through the deduction (Sherlock Leach?).

Have not seen much from you lately, does this mean you’re back?

Wayne on FB

PowersworderPowersworderover 2 years ago

It was a unique and entertaining story, but Daniel had become the equivalent of Bradley Cooper's character in Limitless. After being gifted with an eidetic memory and a radically enhanced intellect, the epilogue was oddly anticlimactic. He became a geography teacher? Really?

At the very least I'd have expected him to amass a sizeable fortune. There are many different ways that exceptionally intelligent people can earn a lot of money. When his ex-wife saw him become phenomenally successful after divorcing her, it would've hurt 10x worse than calling her an unevolved primate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

As usual, outstanding.

FireFox59FireFox59over 2 years ago

It was a very usual way the discover a cheating wife. Well written as usual but it just fell flat for me. The discovery of the wife cheated and the ending was very anticlimactic. The pills seemed to suck the emotions out of your MC.

patilliepatillieover 2 years ago

Really good, 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Different and interesting. Thanks.

johnadpjohnadpover 2 years ago

Adderall, which was made for ADD patients, has the effects mentioned in this story. I know a lot of high end executives (CEO's, attorneys, etc) that take it now and again, and yes graduate and doctoral students. It doesn't make you smarter like it does in this story, but if you're already intelligent and high functioning it allows for better focus and for your brain to keep going for a longer period of time. Interestingly another characteristics I've noticed with highly intelligent people is the ability to fully function with much less sleep. Again, able to to spend more time working, retaining and manipulating information.

As far as cheating being a primitive response. Sex itself is a primitive response.

Last, as far as this story I think it highlights, but glosses over the why's of cheating (maybe a majority of the incidents of cheating), and the response to it. I believe in a majority of the cases where there is cheating the marriage for all intensive purposes had already died down dramatically before there is cheating. They had become companions going through the motions.

Him being "smarter" because of the medication he realizes that he wasn't into the relationship anymore so he didn't have that strong visceral response to her cheating, and wanting her to pick him and make his ego whole again. He realizes he really wasn't that excited about the relationship either, and hadn't been for a long time.

I think this is true of a lot of relationships where there is cheating. They typically involve dead bedrooms, passions have died off, and you're sort of going through life out of habit with this other person. Then the wife you weren't that into anymore cheats, and all of a sudden there is this hysterical bonding where she is your all and end-all. It's really not about the wife really. It's the fact that she "picked" another man to mate with makes us go back to junior high and high school where we were trying to figure out our place in the sexually attractive pecking order. So, there was one woman who chose to tell us we were her pick by marrying us, and now that woman has "chosen" someone else, so we're back to high school insecurity, and a lot of the betrayed focus on that, and they want their wife to reaffirm again that they are "great."

That's why men (I'll speak on the male side since I'm a man) who have a lot going for them will move on from being left by a wife, or cheated upon, much more easily than someone who doesn't. Obviously, there are a lot of reasons for this such as he has a lot more distractions (business, travel, interests, financial resources), but the main one is his confidence that he can move on and find a good mate again.

This story touches slightly on the topic that if you're smart, and really honest enough with yourself, you often realize the relationship had really died when one or the other has cheated. Obviously, not all cases, but I would venture to guess the majority.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 2 years ago

The first part of the tale was pretty good, caught the foreshadow about the bell tower and knew where you were headed with the story. The story kind of "fell apart" at the end. We went on a journey for him to find himself, but without understanding what was really going on as a character or why we would care. 4*

PickFictionPickFictionover 2 years ago

Great story and cleverly conceived. I think I'll check what pills I have lying around.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

Interesting story to say the least. Rather shocked when someone steps outside the box, which is rare.

This is a well made point, which is exactly how it should be when a spouse or poster questions why the cheated on spouse "didnt fight for them or the marriage"..

"You fought for me back in school. You fought for me and won me. It was exciting."

"So..." Her words left me breathless for a moment. "So, I had to continue fighting for you not to cheat? Is that it?"

"Well, no. But it meant so much. It meant you loved me more than anything or anyone else."

"Then let me ask you this. Who did you fight for me?

That was one of the biggest and well deserved *mic drops" in any story in a while.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Who is Michael?

Frank66Frank66over 2 years ago

One has to wonder just how many drugs one has to be on, to come up with this stuff. But, very entertaining......

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Mediocre poker. And the pill bit was just silly.

LordGeoffreyLordGeoffreyover 2 years ago

TY for an original story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Had to laugh alot about the mei-ling name and kitty. In mandarin ling=zero my name and dated a girl from thailand that went by kitty 😂😂😂 lol we didnt marry but its a funny laugh for me thumbs up

SkubabillSkubabillover 2 years ago

SJ is one of my favorites but I agree with those that didn't care for the ending. Also, I would have liked a little more comeuppance for Alicia. Four stars

management91399management91399over 2 years ago

A lot of fun, it would have been cool to have Daniel grow a sixth finger at the end of the story as his journey mirrors that of that episode of The Outer Limits. Still, his brutal put-down of her over the phone was pretty great. I would have been better if she hadn't been able to figure it out though!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Garrrr! The husband was a right feckin' ponce. Haven't 'eard that level of poncy talk for years. Are you sure e's not a fairy?

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 2 years ago

Limitless meets LW. Something new, thanks.

GamblnluckGamblnluckover 2 years ago

Excellent story. I think you needed a couple of those pills for a few minor editing problems.. Dean then Thomas. Oxford then Manchester. still 5 stars.

I particularly enjoyed the dissertation when he confronted her. Well done, sir!

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 2 years ago

The telephone conversation was an excellent story in itself.

ibuguseribuguserover 2 years ago

Nice and different. I like your style so this, too, is a 5*.

ribnitinribnitinover 2 years ago

First class. Loved reading this.

The conclusion with the new marriage was superfluous; didn't add anything.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's try TO, not try and. And combines two things, hence "trying" and "coaxing" are two things. I know how to coax, can anyone tell me how to "try"? One can get up and walk, or run, or stand. How does one get up, or lie down for that matter, and "try"? EOR

As for the story, a bit dry, but that was in line with the MC's new thought process so it made sense to me. Similarly I can understand that he didn't really feel a need to punish his wife beyond the unpleasantness of the divorce. I will say that for myself I would have insisted on being repaid for any money spent on hotels, whether in Kent or Harlington. Seems only fair.

Lastly, who's Michael? Did I miss something?

invisible_bridgesinvisible_bridgesover 2 years ago

Clever conceit, shame nothing much was done with it. Still, kudos to bringing in some much-needed fresh ideas into the LW category.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Please come back to dreamboat!

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 2 years ago

Always a treat ...

seeing a new story from SleeperyJim.

An original idea and a good spin.

But needed a little more meat on the bones

to be a top shelf story.

4 out of 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

1 irritating point - that the uneducated feel superior to or ridicule the educated. I know many young white girls living in upper class neighborhoods who expend great effort to mimic and copy "Black English" and rapper video language. The word fuck is a go to staple. They listen to the basest "Nigga this and Nigga that" while emulating whorish actions. I was sorry to see that idea here of disparaging language and education as being talked down to.

LoejtcLoejtcover 2 years ago

Unique and creative. A bit of fresh thought. Just what the LW genre needs.

Ponce? I think not. Just because you may not understand the words doesn't mean they are not appropriate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Wish you hadn't turned him into a pussy in the end. Apologizing for telling her the truth in that final phone call was just so weak. And considering what he'd deduced, more retribution was in order. The farmers wives would have been informed. Before Alice got married the story of her first marriage and why it failed would have been made known to her fiance. Repayment for the 2 years of fuck outings would have to be repayed. Probably balanced in the divorce settlement.

ErotFanErotFanover 2 years ago

An interesting premise and a tight little story. I just felt like you could have done much more with the intelligence idea. Finding a way to exact some revenge upon the Tosspots - intellectually, of course.

Still a 5 spot writing effort.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowover 2 years ago

I really liked this one. Interesting plot device and well told.

teedeedubteedeedubover 2 years ago

They're not always accurate either. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

carvohicarvohiover 2 years ago

Terrific! Gets a five from me. I do have three things I want to comment on.

One, she said he fought for her, and he replied asking if she ever fought for him. I never heard that before, and it was a good point.

Two, I wanted her to squirm more. I heard a lot from him, but I wanted her to whine, cry, and try to manipulate some more.

Last, the whole Taiwan, new wife, Sydney thing felt tacked on. Gee, housing is pretty expensive in Sydney. It might have been more fun if he'd stayed home, met another local who Alice knew and never liked.

OK. I have a fourth thing. Ever consider the anonymous writers; they're almost always negative or they try to dissect every sentence.

Thanks, great story.

carvohi

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Nay……

I’ll stick herd the entire passel of worthless mouth-breathers into a paddock……for a little wall-to-wall counseling!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 2 years ago

He really had no reason to apologize to Alice. Wronged spouses frequently lash out. His verbal lashing was the extent of his punishment. He could have justified making her truly miserable for a while, but restrained himself.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 2 years ago

Enjoyed the story. A gentle mix of science fiction and real life problems.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A fun take on "Limitless." Thanks for sharing!

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 2 years ago

Interesting… two different routes put on to their cheating spouses: revenge affair & divorce. Thanks for the cute story. Very enjoyable.

bobareenobobareenoover 2 years ago

That was a fun read. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good story and I want to start taking some pills.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Yep. Just more proof that all women are lying, cheating sluts when they think they can get away with it. Good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Why apologies to a selfish vile woman

She don't deserve an apology.

Let the shit live in misery

rlrmiller1951rlrmiller1951over 1 year ago

after reading this for the second time I realized that I needed to add it to my favorite stories list.

iammweaseliammweaselover 1 year ago

Not bad, a bit of a let down at the end.

And obviously another dumb con with his misogynistic idiocy throws in "Yep. Just more proof that all women are lying, cheating sluts when they think they can get away with it."

Little boy more men are lying cheating sluts when they think they can get away with it then women. You pathetic rightwing little dicked weaklings are truly obnoxiously idiotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

He also deserved a beat down.

xhristianjxhristianjover 1 year ago

So the extent of his ambition was he became a glorified tutor fuck me what a useless prick. And if he was stupid enough to marry a fucking Slag then don't be surprised when she slags around.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5 Stars I went to College with a couple of twin brothers . Sadly for them they made it to a frat party and picked on the wrong Ladies . Let Me tell you those Marine recon Guys are Bad assess . They beat those over grown offensive line Like a Drum . After that those guys had trouble not getting their asses kicked . Me I was a small outside linebacker but our middle linebacker was the bad guy on our squad . He loved running over those 2 guys in practice they started a fight with him and then had 2 OLB helping to kick their ass Linebackers stay together

TrambakTrambakover 1 year ago

Of course, he morphed into a drug assisted know-all.

He would have verbally whipped Alice even if she wasn't cheating.

Now, that's the side effect of this drug duo. Giveth the knowledge but taketh away the humility.

Great tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I feel better knowing that Alice wasn't really being cheated by unsavory dealers selling her the tat. Although, she seems to have been embezzling the difference.

nixroxnixroxabout 1 year ago

5 stars - I like this story

Ocker53Ocker5312 months ago

I enjoyed it 5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

WetheNorthWetheNorth12 months ago

I find myself smiling throughout your tale

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Hehe. Clever.

SatyrDickSatyrDick7 months ago

[30.09.23]

Very Clever!

11/10!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Would have liked to see him do more with his newfound abilities at the end. Alice? Meh who cares. He divorced her. Enough said. Not sure why Alan stayed with Rhonda. She was doing the same thing a weekend of threesomes every 3 months for two years. No biggie, right? NOT!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous