Merchant & Monster Girls Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How do so many people manage to live together in one place?" Reina asked.

"Sometimes not easily. Iceford's early history was tumultuous. Its rapid growth was very chaotic and disorganized, almost to the point of anarchy. Some semblance of civic management was needed, but how do you go about finding a form of hierarchy everyone is ok with?"

"You'd need to find a common basis point," suggested Reina.

"Correct. They formed a council with select representatives from each species.

Initially, there was concern this wouldn't be welcomed by those who lived in swarms, herds, colonies, and other large-group-oriented races since they have a more monarchy or top-down hierarchy, but this turned out to be a moot point since those demi-humans felt Iceford was too confining and opted to live elsewhere. They do retain relationships through trade and consultation, though."

Devin reached into his vest and pulled out a small, flat metal plate attached to a chain around his neck.

"What's that, life-mate?"

"It's my citizen and guild membership identification."

"Can I see?"

Azalea flew over, and she held it up to the light after he handed it to her. She marveled at the craftsmanship. It was double-sided and gold plated with embossed silver filigree twisted in interweaving vines along the edges. Written in liquefied obsidian was his citizen information:

Devon Ebonplume, Human, Male

Weight: 158 Ibs | Height 5' 8"

Birth Date: Spring 24, 3610 Year of the Dryad

Citizen of Iceford

On the opposite side was the same decorated border. Etched on the right half was a cart loaded with cargo. Amidst the cargo, standing tall, was a pair of scales chiseled from an amethyst. Resting on one plate was a stack of coins, and on the other, a milk jug. In glossy text, on the left half, was written:

Merchant Guild Member

Amethyst Rank

Subsidy Commodities & Milk Distributor

Azalea's eyes sparkled as she commented, "It's beautiful!"

"I'm glad you think so because you and Reina will be getting one."

"We will?! Why?"

"It'll be useful for skipping the obligatory guard checkpoints, and they imply a degree of trust that you are a person who'll maintain the laws within the city, so certain government employees might be more generous with their time."

"Also, it'll denote we are a family, though maybe we should wait. If we really can sell your milk, we might register you with the merchant guild at the same time. It'll give you discounts at certain businesses."

Azalea held it up to her body. "I won't be able to carry it if it's this big."

"I'm sure they'll make one for your size. There is no small number of craftsmen available."

Finally next in line, Devin flashed his ID to the guardsman. His hauberk was emblazoned with a sundial. In each quarter of the sundial were the emblems of the city's prosperity: an anvil & hammer, needle & thread, saw & plane, bread & milk.

Recognizing the well-traveled merchant, the guardsman waved him on, giving the two girls inquisitive looks.

They passed under the massive, arched gateway and ventured past several chiseled statues, each engaged in a specific craft. Reina leaned over and scanned a placard: Bruni Leadfoot, Guild master

"Who are all these statues of herd-mate?"

"Guild masters, crafters of renown, experts in their field who contributed greatly to the city who helped found the different guilds. Since the cities founding, there are statues and monuments all over the places."

The entryway of statues widened into an expansive plaza with people milling about, chatting, relaxing, and some enjoying an early lunch.

"Everything is so huge!" exclaimed Azalea. She darted every which way, attempting and failing to take in everything at once. "I want to know about everything, life-mate!"

"Everything is a bit much," laughed Devin. "Well, there are four main districts: the Entertainment District in the northwest, the Manufacturing District in the southwest, old town in the southeast, and right now, we are entering the northeastern gate of the Commons District."

Great lodges with steep A-frame roofs lined the road. Azalea noted many of the two- and three-story buildings' top floor possessed a door stepping out onto a very unsafe-looking porch.

"Why do most of these buildings have a door up there, life-mate? They seem very inaccessible to anyone who can't fly."

"That's precisely who they are for. There is a large population of winged demi-humans in the city who make homes up there."

"They look cozy. Does Mavis live in one?"

"No, she still lives at home with her parents; says it's more cost-effective."

"Are we going to see her today?"

"Yep, her office is in the entertainment district on the other side of the city."

The trio ambled along the well-tended cobbled street. It gently sloped upward until they were above even the tallest building behind them. A trestled stone bridge came into view that was wide enough for three of Devon's wagons to cross side-by-side.

"Reina, when you get to the bridge, try to stay on the left side. This is one of the best views in the city."

In silent response, Reina angled the wagon, pulling up alongside the parapet near the center, and halted.

The grand manufacturing capital of the north stretched out below. Wisps of smoke gently rose into the sky from the many cottages lining the busy streets.

Comparable to the rings of a great tree, avenues and alleyways separated by homes and businesses encircled the city. Three of the largest thoroughfares, running parallel to each other, were paved darker and appeared better-maintained than the innumerable other connecting roads. The two outer roads were wider and sandwiched the narrower middle one.

"Breathtaking," voiced Reina with awe.

Azalea eye's sparkled. "I can't believe people could build all this!"

"Then, would it surprise you to learn that the lake in the center was dug manually?"

Azalea's jaw dropped.

"It's called Chill Mirror Lake. The original river was fed by runoff from the mountains. Over time, the river was widened and deepened as a way to tame the waters during the spring melt until it became that lake. Now, the river and its tributaries double as a way to ferry goods between the various craftsmen within the city.

"Centuries ago, there used to only be a small village here, surviving mostly through tolls ferrying people across during late and early winter when the waters were high."

"And what's that above it?" asked Reina, pointing to an opulent complex of buildings.

"That's where the city council and administration reside. I guess you could say that is where the city leaders physically and metaphorically keep an eye over the city."

In the center of the lake, sitting atop mighty granite pillars sunk deep into the lakebed, were a cluster of ice-covered edifices surrounding a monumental tower. Clock faces pointed in each cardinal direction at its peak. Four arched bridges extended in the intercardinal directions, connecting to each district. Another set of bridges, running north and south, connected to H-shaped warehouses on the shores.

Azalea tore her eyes away from the vista and fluttered to the edge. Far below was an unnaturally smooth ravine with a strong, flowing river.

"Are those mermaids, life-mate?" she queried excitedly.

"Describe them for me."

Azalea set her hands on the stone guardrail and squinted, "Gills on their neck, some near their ribs. Scales on parts of their shoulders and partially around their stomach. Some look to have a big fish tail, others look like they have two."

"The ones with a single tail are merfolk. The others are sahagins. They have a pair of legs with fins and can walk short distances on land. Under this bridge is the lake's exit point. Loaded barges are sent north downriver, where they'll merge into one of the fjords before finally meandering to the ocean. Once unloaded, the aquatic demi-humans bring it back."

Azalea jumped back aboard the wagon, unnecessarily scrambling up onto Devin's head to make as much physical contact as possible. There, she laid flat on her belly and stroked his cheek.

"Hi, life-mate," she sang.

"Hi, Azalea. Having fun?"

"More than I can say, but it's only extra fun because I get to experience it with you two!"

Reina stretched her arms. "I feel the same way, Azalea. Even though our meeting was unorthodox, I wouldn't be here if not for you two. I'd probably still be with my herd, wondering if I'd become an old spinster mare. What are we going to do first, herd-mate?"

"Let's see... we should stop by the guild since it's closest. Then we can drop the special order off with the alchemist and collect the money to give Mavis to deliver to Gylan. Depending on the request that Mavis received, we might have time for some shopping."

Reina set off again, descending the arched bridge. With Devin's guidance, she turned onto a connecting road, carefully threading her way downhill. Less distracted by the sights and more self-conscious, she noticed many curious glances from passersby.

Before they even exited the side road they were on, the murmur of countless voices met their ears. Reina came to an abrupt stop, almost colliding with a river of people flowing to and fro among the various stalls, storefronts, and each other in an organized cacophony of bodies. Sharp barks from vendors, shouts from customers haggling over goods, and the hollering of advertisers formed the general din of the middle ring of the city.

Reina motioned, 'this way?' to avoid yelling over the noise. Devin responded with a nod.

Soon after crossing the deafening street, the noise faded into the background. They continued even further down the slope they were descending, arriving at the inner ring. Two burly dockworkers carrying lumber hustled past them. They were followed by a small, brown-hooded figure with a long, hairless tail.

"This is arguably the busiest ring of the city. Here, all the freight and shipments are ferried around to their respective clientele," Devin related.

A moment later, a large bell tolled, causing ripples over the water as it echoed throughout the city to alert residents it was noon.

Presiding near the clock faces above the bell were six stone gargoyles. They were female in design, and their large, stone, bat-like wings acted as cloaks around their muscular bodies. Four sets of horns, one pair smaller than the other, adorned their heads. They perched on fearsome-looking claws gripping the tower's ledge. Most noticeable were creepy calligrapher's brush-stroked marks, unseen during the day, glowing orange along portions of their bodies.

Rumors and mysteries abound about whether the gargoyles were alive or not. On more than one occasion, Devin had felt eyes on him when he visited the council building. Once, he swore that one had changed position. Due to the height of the tower, though, he couldn't be sure.

"Is that where we'll receive our ID?"

"Yes, Reina, for citizenship. The other side of the ID is done at one of the two guilds -- those two buildings there."

To their right was one of the H-shaped buildings they had seen from the hill. A weathered sign hung above a smudged glass window: Merchant Guild Headquarters.

Approaching it, she realized it was more storage than an office building. Surrounding the many multi-story warehouses were colossal wind and watermills powering equally immense cranes.

"It's a very impressive building," Reina observed.

"It is. The merchant guild handles distribution orders of raw materials to the various artisans and tradesmen around the districts. The craftsman guild is on the south end. They manage the exports of finished goods to places outside the city.

"Reina, pull the wagon around to the side unloading dock. I'm just going to step inside and let them know we have cargo to unload."

"Ok, herd-made."

Azalea sprawled on Reina's back. "This place is amazing, isn't it? I haven't even seen a fraction of it, and I feel exhausted."

"It certainly does feel a bit overwhelming," Reina remarked.

Amidst the flurry of activity, Azalea noticed two beady red eyes peeking at them from between two crates. She sat up to get a better look, but several people passed by blocking her gaze, and by the time they crossed, the mysterious eyes were gone.

"Reina, what would you say if I said someone was watching us?"

"I'd say there have been many people staring at us since we arrived. You know we are a rarity in these parts. Was this particular person different in some way?"

"I guess not, though I couldn't really see anything but their eyes."

"Probably just a curious townsperson wanting a look."

Devin returned a few minutes later. "We can leave the wagon. They'll send someone to unload it later. Shall we walk?"

Azalea jumped to the ground, strutting a few steps before exaggeratedly heaving for air." I disapprove of this suggestion," she joked, acting silly.

Devin scooped her up, cuddling her. "The view under your dress is much better when you're flying, anyway."

Azalea did a little twirl in the air.

"And when you're tired, then you are always welcome to ride on me."

"I can? I know something I'd love to ride someday," She said in a husky voice.

"One day, my little nymph." He kissed her forehead and put her on Reina's back.

"I'll unharness you, Reina."

After grabbing their belongings, they retraced their steps, arriving back at the thronged shopping district. There, they altered their course and made their way counter-clockwise around the city.

"This area looks different than the other, life-mate, even though it's the same street," Azalea observed.

"Different neighborhoods have their own unique flare to them. Also helps to differentiate where you are. This one likes to feature lit lanterns and colored paper streamers over the street. Gives it a warm, inviting ambiance."

With Devin leading the way, they zigzagged their way through back alleys and disorienting pathways, arriving at the more subdued edge of the manufacturing district. Making a final turn, they arrived at a dead end. Eroded brick and vines ornamented a heavily-knotted walnut door. A faded metal sign read: Owl Things Potionary.

"Is that supposed to be a pun, life-mate?"

"Yes, it was all I could come up with."

"You came up with it?"

"This Is where my alchemist friend lives. She couldn't think of a name, so I offered some suggestions."

"Maybe we can persuade her to change it," chuckled Azalea.

"I'm not a spur of the moment type of thinker," Devin admitted and shrugged. "Just a heads up, my friend has had a secluded upbringing, so she talks and acts a little... odd."

At that, Devin reached for the handle. The hinges complained loudly as he nudged it open. They stepped into the dimly-lit room, and his nose was assaulted by the familiar, pungent scent of sulfur, preserving agents, acids, and others he couldn't identify. Long, short tables, covered in a hodge-podge of jars, bottles, beakers, and all manner of tools and apparatuses, ran the room's perimeter. Hanging over a square fire pit were several cauldrons, some bubbling actively and others slowly simmering.

Azalea was the first to notice a figure standing at one of the tables, looking very engrossed in their work. Tugging at Devin's collar, she pointed to the corner. "Life-mate..."

Upon hearing an unexpected voice, the figure spun its head backward. Azalea nearly fell off Devin's shoulder in surprise at the unnatural movement. The head's body soon joined in facing their way.

The odd figure proceeded to walk-hop over to the trio. It was a rather cute-looking motion until they tripped over their long robe in the process, landing face down on the floor. Springing back up, they closed the distance, in the same manner, as if nothing had happened. Stopping within a comfortable, conversational distance, they pushed their hood back. Two wide, piercing eyes blinked at them from within a feathery, saucer-shaped face.

The short, little boreal owlchemist adjusted her brass magnifiers. She rummaged through her apron pockets, bulging with corked beakers, bundles of dried herbs, and other paraphernalia. She pulled out a worn notebook, glancing at it. With an earnest voice, seemingly at odds with her expressionless face, she stated: "It has been 30 days, 12 hours, and..." she glanced at a wall clock, "7 minutes since the Young Patron last visited. This one is joyful you have returned safe."

Bobbing her head curiously at Reina and Azalea, she fluffed her white and brown feathers, exemplifying a very thick physique. "This one's name is Jeni-feather, alumna from Queen's Tundra Academy. Minor field of study: alchemical fluid dynamics. Major field of study: practical applications for golemantic peripherals. Latest hobbies: interactive, experimental studies in cross-species mating, and soon to be Young Patron's semen extractor."

"You're gonna be my what?!" Devin asked, startled.

Azalea jumped up into the air about to barrage Jeni with questions when Devin grabbed her. "Now hold on Azalea, I'm pretty sure I know what you're thinking, but before you start wanting to ask to join in, let me get some clarification."

Azalea clamped her hands over her mouth.

Devin took a deep breath. "Jeni, would you like to elaborate on what you mean by that and why the sudden change in hobbies? Last time I was here, you were completely infatuated with documenting all of the tiny things you saw under your magnifying device."

"Young Patron is not wrong. The recent investigation into the world of things too small to be seen with the naked eye was most curious. The surfaces of many objects, including blood and organisms in water, were insightful, but of particular interest was semen. The variation in smell, the gelatinous consistency, as well as the power to create life, has stirred a particularly strong desire for further academic understanding!"

Jeni's statement was accompanied by short motions of her head to look at each of her visitors, but primarily Devin.

"Wait... is that why you special-ordered from Gylan's farm?" he exclaimed in realization.

"Partially. As the major ingredient for affinity replenishment tinctures, funds are needed to subsist during the interim until this one can collect her own samples to further her hobby. As the second most trusted and only male friend, this one has chosen Young Patron as the primary donor," she declared matter-of-factly.

Devin mouth hung open, speechless.

Jeni continued, "But this one lacks the necessary knowledge to extract such a precious substance, so this one has attended establishments and gleaned material about human courtship to learn human's complicated mating rituals. She has practiced with her egg hole almost every night to learn skills and techniques she is certain Young Patron will find pleasing during the extraction process.

"In order to encourage Young Patron's participation, this one listened to lectures from professors in the oratory arts of human romance and attended interactive lessons in order to better learn efficient methods for extraction."

Azalea, no longer able to contain herself, blurted out, "Hi, Miss Feath..."

"Jeni," she cut in. "Young Patron's companions may call this one Jeni."

"Jeni, my name is Azalea, and this is Reina! I, too, am very interested in the study of interspecies mating! I'd love to hear more about what you learned!"

Jeni, pleased that another was interested in her research, hopped closer. "Choices for establishments were based on popularity and strictly-human participants. At first, this one was given many strange looks, possibly due to being the only demi-human attending."

"A few of the patrons inquired as to this one's purpose for being there. After informing them, she received several solicitations for assistance from several males, but they were ultimately declined as this one was interested only in observation and note-taking."