Midnight Ep. 048: BREAKdOWN

Story Info
Nick stands his ground. Midnight and Dawn had their feet up.
7.5k words
4.9
846
00
Story does not have any tags

Part 48 of the 52 part series

Updated 03/09/2024
Created 08/11/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers

1:45 PM!

The Santee workers at Harbinger Shoals prepared for a late lunch. Work ceasing on the landscaping and interior restructuring of the old homestead came to a grinding halt thanks to Niles Gullivant and a very loud coach's whistle. Shockingly the house was still holding its own being build back in the 1700's but remodeled numerous times through various owners. Updated electrical was installed, a new HVAC system, plumbing, the whole nine yards. The roof was finished, pillars holding a balcony off of the main bedroom stood supported and kept as leisurely decor. Stairwells indoors were all brand spanking new, walls painted, you name it, all done in rapid fashion thanks to some pretty talented, hardworking Native American craftsmen. Lunch was long overdue. For many of them, there would be questions as much as questionable acts.

After witnessing Dawn Bearpaw yesterday showing off her body many of the Santee worried that this white man employing them was abusing the granddaughter of the REZ elder Newton Waterfall. Disrespect on someone's part, they just were not sure which. Until they realized just how happy she appeared to be in her exhibitionist performance. While not one of them denied the fact that she was drop dead gorgeous, it was all about word getting back to Newton that they were enjoying it. Tough call! Shortly, lunch would get very interesting. There was still thirty minutes on the clock.

Her father Samuel Bearpaw suffered over their comments as much as anybody, which tended to go all sorts of directions. Some respected him, others told him she had one sweet body, others hated him for letting Nick Sanchez insist she do the things she did. He however knew through his daughter's own words what this new lifestyle was all about. He tried his best to cope but the stress placed upon his shoulders was a struggle.

For a compulsive gambler in which poker readily settled his nerves he had tried his best to stop. With his daughter acting as she was that simply made him want release again. Sweating bullets as it was in owing Nodin Merrick money already, any new losses might destroy his marriage. With his wedding anniversary to Newton and Rayna Waterfall's daughter Wanita approaching it was all he could do not to sell what he bought her as a gift. Money given to him by Nick Sanchez. He owed this man more than just his daughter. It felt as if he sold Lillian Dawn, even though that was hardly true. Greed was killing him.

With lunch workers leaving the main house to get a bit of fresh air Samuel on the sly went indoors and acted as if checking out his work on the basement staircase. He knew he did an exemplary job already, but thus far Nick Sanchez had not even said, "Good job!" He was too into watching everyone else work or making one call after another to either get something they needed or doing business with whomever worked their magic to make him money. Factor in a rodent security system being installed all around the property to ward off poisonous snakes and critters getting too comfy in his new home, dealing with them only kept him busier. Now? Nick hadn't been seen in a spell, so Sam chose now to strike. That pest control did not work on him.

Having brought a hammer and screwdriver down with him, Sam, all alone down there worked up the courage to try breaking the lock off of that trunk. It was lying in a 4x8 section of dirt surrounded by concrete. Not wanting to leave boot prints to gauge his identity he used a gloved hand to drag it up out of the small shallow pit. "This better be worth it." He sighed as he set out to break the lock. A few good swings and nothing he was getting frustrated.

"Might be easier with a key."

"BEJEEZUS!" Sam fell backwards on his ass. "Nick? Where did you come from?"

"Nice work on the new stairs. Nice and quiet even." Nick finished his trek down holding the trunk key, along with Midnight's former collar key on a new chain in his clenched fist. Now on the concrete he stepped closer to hover over Sam and offered him the key. "Your daughter gave up her life. What was left of it is in that trunk. I intended to bury her past. Why are you not doing the same?"

Tossing it into his lap Sam picked the key up and held it in his palm just staring at it. "Micro cam in case you want to know. I witnessed you eying the trunk while you worked on the stairs. Not much escapes my notice Sam. Go on and open the trunk." Hesitant at first Sam wiped her brow with his wrist, the key up close to his nose. The stench off of it was horrendous. "You get used to that. It's a reminder of just how much a certain someone gave a shit." That was all the info Nick intended to offer. That key had been inside Midnight's digestive system until she finally had the urge and purge to shit it out. Nick could have cleaned it but chose to hold it as if a sacred talisman. It just made sense.

Unlocking the trunk Sam handed the key back and removed the lock, lifting the trunk lid. Within was the waterfall necklace in shards, the string broken, and each tear of gems was separated. "What happened to this? It was so beautiful on Lillian." The original lock key was within tangled up in the stones, he had since changed the lock to regain access without the girls knowing. Kami privileges!

"She gave it up for her new life. That was a reminder of Tom Sylver, her former master. The last tears shed over him are right there. I presume you wanted that and suspected it might be in there."

"I know I'm stupid Sanchez. Let me catch my breath here." Holding the trinkets in his hand he himself wept over being such a horrible father. "I have never done right by my kid. Never! Barely my wife. Nick... I owe Nodin Merrick a lot of gambling debt. I'm running out of time and options. Trust me I've thought of hocking Wanita's earrings and bands... I just couldn't do that to my wife. She's put up with my crap for too long now."

"Have you asked Lillian to spot you money to pay that debt?"

"No. I just... I want her to be proud of me. I gave up gambling even though I cut and shuffle cards like counting sheep at night. I sweat myself to sleep. Don't think I wouldn't have hated myself over stealing these from her."

"They're not hers anymore. Like Dawn, those belong to me. Tom Sylver relinquished his reign, I relinquished the waterfall. Dawn has nothing now. I just purchased Tom Sylver's home; she gave me the Raptor. She just lost her favorite pair of boots. Why? Boot Hill! All things die only to be reborn."

"Phoenix crap?"

"Lots of great casinos in Phoenix, Sam."

"Gee, thanks!"

"You played your hand just now. I folded! Collect your pot."

"No! Five pieces to this necklace now. Full house! Your house, not mine. I'm sorry I tried to steal from you."

"I stole from you. Fair trade in my mind. Take the neck... the former collar. Like I broke that chain... break yours. Pay off Nodin and burn your favorite deck of cards."

"I'll find another way to pay him. I can't do this to my daughter."

"You did nothing to her yet. Like I said, those are mine."

"You've been nothing but gracious to my people Nick. No, I'll find another way. Even if I lose a finger."

"You lose a finger; Nodin loses a hand. That is my promise. You can offer that warning, I'll justify it."

"He won't sweat over you Nick. He's too headstrong and powerful."

"My hand has not been played yet. Aces over King!" Regardless, Sam placed the shards back inside the trunk, lowered the lid and locked it back up. Moving it back into the dirt where it once was, he sat there saddened by his stupidity.

"What's with the dirt box here in the floor?"

"No clue. It felt like a big X to me, so I'll be burying that trunk here soon. Might even let your daughter do the digging. Makes sense for her to bury her past even deeper. Same for Midnight."

"They'll break a nail." Sam sighed with a smirk and stood up. "I can dig that hole. I owe you that much."

"You will not. Let them work for me my way. Go on out to the main road. I ordered in a food truck. Tacos! Eat all you want for free. Take some home to Wanita."

"You are something, I'll give you that. Caring but... strict toward my kid."

"You have not seen anything yet. Live with it."

"Do I have any say?"

"Ask Dawn."

"I know the answer. Tacos do sound better than my PB&J. Cupboards are bare at home."

"You're the bread winner."

"Right! Thanks for reminding me. I used the last few slices of that loaf. Wanita may be thankful for the tacos. Of course, I'll be awake all night tonight over her farting."

"Open a window."

"I think I just did. Thanks Nick. Again, I'm sorry."

"Docks next week. I'll give you a bonus if you complete it ahead of schedule without being sloppy. I have a seaplane to bring home here soon. Helipad on that small island for my chopper."

"You own it all don't you."

"Including Dawn. Go eat!"

Indigestion was on its way.

Everyone was going to love those tacos.

Spicy!

********

Backtracking in time to 12:05 PM.

Sheriff Dolan Roster had been passed out all morning long, not even recalling what he had done to his daughter Alexis, even worse what she tried to keep doing to him. The drug T16R355 in his wounds due to a one-night stand with Opal Savage combined with a whole lot of whiskey he just wasn't his self. The effects of the drug had brought out the sexual beast in him ever since and it hadn't worn off until now. On his belly groaning he tried to stir as his cell rang constantly. Hanging up three times then calling right back he knew it had to be an emergency. Rolling off the mattress to the side of his bed he located his cell lying in his pants. Sitting on the floor due to being lightheaded he answered it. "WHAT?"

"Dolan? It's Hannah. I know you took the day off, but things just got interesting. Britney Saunders just called saying that sanitarium up near Charleston wants to come get Shantel here in about an hour. We need you to sign papers to have her transferred out."

"Forge them."

"I don't feel comfortable doing that. There's another issue too. Clinton's wife Mindy was just in an assault and battery with her former fling, the same guy Clinton got arrested over. He's pressing charges and the Turncoat police force say she's likely hightailed it back in Caretaker." Just as she said that the airwaves were heard to say that Mindy had just passed the city limits sign and Officer Darcy Grainger was going to pull her over. She had no choice. "Hear that call?"

"Yeah! Bring her in but don't lock her up. Let me throw some water on my face and I'll be right there. Is Saunders there yet?"

"Yep! Right beside me here at dispatch. She tried to call you too."

"I got really drunk last night. Still recovering."

"How is Ali?"

"Dead!" He realized just that very second what he had done with her, mistaking her for Caprice when he first got home. That drug made him do things he normally would never have done. Fixing that was going to be impossible. "Be there in thirty. If Clooney-Toomes shows up tell them I'm on my way."

"Copy that!" Hannah severed her call. Crawling to his feet he shuffled naked across the hallway to the bathroom and took a lengthy piss. Hands washed he dowsed himself in cold water to revive. Going back to his bedroom he found a clean uniform and hurried to get ready to go. Not really wanting to deal with Alexis in the moment, he started downstairs then growled.

"Dammit!" Heading back up he walked to his daughter's bedroom and found her shockingly dressed and sitting on her bed with her knees surrounded by her arms, teetering with stress. She couldn't even look at him. Nor could he walk into her room, the doorway was taboo. "Pack your shit and get out."

"WHAT?" She lifted her head weeping. "You made the first move. I thought you wanted me."

"I THOUGHT YOU WERE FUCKING CAPRICE. I WAS DRUNK!" Dark tattoos and shadows seemed normal at the time.

"AND THAT'S MY PROBLEM?"

"YOU KNOW I'D NEVER DO THAT WILLINGLY." The shouting match was heard even next door. "YOU COULD HAVE ESCAPED WHEN YOU WERE ON TOP." Images were now becoming vivid.

"I HATE YOU!"

"I'M STARTING TO HATE YOU. I... have to go to work. Call Oliver and have him come get you. Your cell is in my top dresser drawer. Be gone by the time I get home. This constant war with you misbehaving is over. Go ruin your life elsewhere."

"I WILL!" She jumped out of bed in her sundress and stomped right by him in the doorway. Going to retrieve her phone it luckily still had a 40% charge. Calling Oliver after he had sent her a text with his number yesterday, she flipped Dolan off. That was all he needed to see. Taking his leave, he realized he didn't have his car keys.

"I must have left them in the SUV." Going out the front door he stopped cold. "Shit! Dad must have taken it to drive Winston home. Why isn't he home by now?" Living six blocks from the station he resorted to walking. Dolan at least had fifteen minutes to cool off. He took his time, nice day, legs still weak.

Back at his house Alexis finally got through with Oliver Heavy-Feather, he had been in the shower. "Ollie? It's your barely legal girlfriend. I miss you."

"I... miss you too." Strange coming from a tough guy with serious attitude. She had made a definite impression on him to his surprise. "You sound upset."

"Daddy just kicked me out. Can you come get me with a truck so I can move my things? I don't have much."

"I cannot! I will not defy my elder. Newton Waterfall insisted three days away. I will honor his decision. I will come for you in two days."

"I have to move out today. Daddy threw me out."

"Then go stay with your grandfather."

"I'll try but what if he won't let me?"

"What is it you have done to get kicked out?"

"Seduced daddy. He started it... kind of... he thought I was Caprice. His mistake... I just... you know I can't stop fucking once I get started." Dead silence, Oliver still pondered on his ex- ole' lady Caprice Comstock. Feelings for her were still there even if he was ready to move on to Alexis. Dolan Roster had now had two of his girls. Bitter but calming faster than predicted Ollie sighed.

"Two days! Be ready." Another call ended she cried her eyes out.

Reality was sinking in.

********

Outskirts!

"Please Darcy! This is all a big mistake. Grant tried to rape me; I was only defending myself. I had to get away before it got worse. Ever since Clinton and I had our problems Grant has tried to get me to leave him. I only went home to pack more things. Look in my backseat and trunk if you don't believe me."

"Just relax!" Darcy stood at the window of the Camaro belonging to Clinton and Melinda Biles. "I believe you. Unfortunately, I have no choice in the matter. Let Dolan figure this out. Just follow me back to the station so I don't have to call a tow truck. Clinton can get the car later should you have to be detained. For now, just know you do have friends. Did you call Clinton?"

"Not yet! I'm afraid of what he might say. I hope he trusts me again, but our wounds are still fresh. I'll follow you, no running I swear. I bet this bullshit ruins my dispatch job, doesn't it?"

"No clue. I'm rooting for you."

"Thanks, Darcy."

"You know where the cop shop is. I'll meet you there."

"On my way." Window rolled up Mindy drove on through town. Darcy behind her spotted Dolan walking and chuckled. He was only a block from the station, but she did hit her siren for five seconds to get his attention. Wincing at his hangover he waved her on rather than catch a ride. Laughing at him Darcy proceeded, meeting Mindy at the station house. The Clooney-Toomes Sanitarium transport van was already there, Britney Saunders outside talking with the orderlies. One security guard was with them, big boy though.

Mindy leaving her car only to warn Britney she might be home late consoled her new friend over the fact that here soon her mother would be locked away in a nuthouse. Mindy relating her situation only added to the stress. Britney swiftly offered bail money clenching their friendship. Mindy asked her to wait and see first, she hated to be indebted to anyone. Darcy walking up on them invited Mindy indoors. Refusing to lock her up Darcy ordered Mindy to sit in dispatch with Hannah Bell. Another round of story everyone understood her misery. All that remained was Dolan.

Outdoors Dolan made it over to the awaiting transport. "Who's in charge here?" Dolan asked. A thin reasonably tall man in his forties offered a handshake.

"Jeremy Wallace, Sheriff."

"Hey, Jer! Let's go to my office. Sun is too bright on my eyes. My dad took my SUV with my shades. Had to hoof it."

"Nice day at least."

"Could be better." Dolan sighed, leading he and Britney to his office. Passing Mindy, he thought better of it. "Miss Saunders? Go say goodbye to your mother. Darcy? Show these folks my office, I'll be right there." A wave to join her Darcy took the three men away. Moving into the dispatch office Dolan leaned against a filing cabinet. "Make it quick and convince me to let you go."

"Grant Edison cornered me in my apartment. I was packing more things. He got aggressive with me and wanted sex, so I had to fend him off. Now I know how Clinton felt when he punched me. I think I deserved this reality check. Grant just refused no means no."

"Any witnesses?"

"Unfortunately, no. I swear to you Sheriff all that I wanted was to pack and leave. I did hit him though. Self-defense!"

"Understood! Go to your hotel room, unpack your things and stay in that room unless I send Darcy there for you. I'll make calls once I have Shantel out of our hair. This could blow over. When you go after the last of your stuff, take Saunders there with you to prevent any further situations. If things blow over report for work here next Monday."

"Oh, my God! Thank you so much for believing in me. I swear I won't let you down."

"Best not! Drive slowly." He squeezed her shoulder then felt a tingle in his dick. Gritting his teeth, he turned away in thought. "When does this shit wear off? Jesus! Makes me wonder if Opal's still resisting urges. That woman better pray I don't run into her again."

Destiny!

********

"Hey mom."

Shantel Bigelow sat in her cell wearing her ratty fur coat. Bored out of her mind she had learned to relax the hard way. No visitors, no other prisoners since Clinton Biles she had been left to stay sober and think about the past. Still troubled for certain she often distorted facts in her head, so she certainly needed a new home at Clooney-Toomes.

"My baby. Where you been? Walking Britney?" Her old dog, one that she named her daughter after, then ran over the dog later in her childhood. Her fragile thoughts presumed the dog was still alive. So very sad that reality was deprived.

"Yep! Just took her home and put her in her crate. Bought her some new chew toys!" It was better to simply add to her fantasy. It kept her quiet. "She misses you."

"Awww! Tell her mommy will be home soon." That's what she always said, Britney the daughter knew all too well, months became years. "You look nice today." That was unusual.

"Thank you, mother. Uhhh? You do too." Laughable! "I found you an apartment. It's really nice. Are you ready to get out of here?"

"New apartment? We're not living in a big house with a picket fence. With all that MONEY THAT SHOULD BE MINE!" Oh, hell! Rampage on the way Shantel jumped out of her cot and stormed the bars. Things were coming back to her again. "GIVE ME MY MONEY!" The outburst alerted Dolan and the Clooney crew. Trying to calm Shantel was like taming a wild tiger. With the Ringmaster at this circus entering the holding area Dolan ordered Britney out. Unlocking her door as Jeremy entered the head orderly smiled.

"You were right Sheriff. She is a hottie." That calmed Shantel immediately, the hag fawning with her hair over his compliment. "Thanks for introducing me to her. Hi Shantel, I'm Jeremy."

SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers