Midnight Movie Club Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The young man nodded in agreement with Julie's words. "You said that films provided you with stability?"

"I moved around a lot as a child," she answered. "The two main pillars of stability were movies and, later on, running. What began as a childhood infatuation turned into a lifelong love." Julie smiled warmly at the young man. "Now that I think about it, I just described a cliche from a romantic movie."

"Cliches do become cliches for a reason." The young man leaned forward. "The Farragut Film Society is open to all students. However, there is one vital question we invariably request neophytes to answer." Dropping the volume of his voice so that only Julie could hear, the young man asked, "What's the best movie of all time?"

This time, Julie's smile was playful. "The best movie of all time is 12 Angry Men. The most important movie of all time is Citizen Kane. The most influential movie of all time is the original Halloween. My favorite movie to sit down and watch is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. And my favorite movie to put on as background noise is The Hunt for Red October." Julie kept the smile on her face as the young man processed her statement before nodding with approval. "Sorry," she said. "I'm asked that question a lot."

"No apology required. That answer was nothing short of par excellence." The young man pressed his lips together as he studied Julie for a moment with an inquisitive look. "I see the merit in three of your choices. I have never seen The Hunt for Red October so forgive me for not expounding on that movie. But why," he asked with curiosity, Halloween as the most influential?"

"It kickstarted an entire genre that's still going four decades later." Julie could hear the eagerness creeping into her voice as she continued. "I'm not implying the influence was positive across the board, but Halloween spawned scores of movies with the same formula - a masked killer stalking his victims who smoked, did drugs, and had premarital sex. It gave us icons like Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Chucky. Slasher movies became a studio staple for years because they rarely, if ever, lost money, and the profits often went towards prestige films and Oscar bait. There's a reason New Line Cinema is called 'The House That Freddy Built.'"

The young man watched her with keen interest as Julie hit the crux of her argument. "Most important, it introduced a genre that will not die. Big budget musicals, disaster movies, Harry Potter knock-offs, they each made Hollywood a lot of money before their popularity waned and the genre died out. Slashers? They wax and wane but they never go out of style. Wes Craven wanted to kill the slasher genre when he did Scream. Instead, he gave us a cycle of self-referential horror films, and when those became passe it was nothing but remakes for a few years, and when those died out television shows like Bates Motel and Scream Queens carried the flag before the 2018 version of Halloween kickstarted a whole new cycle. Jordan Peele's remaking Candyman, LeBron James managed to pull the rights to Friday the 13th out of legal hell, and they're even talking about making a fifth Scream movie. Not to mention that a good number of actors, actresses, writers, directors, and crew got their start working on cheap slasher movies."

Julie leaned back in her chair and let out a deep breath. "I honestly believe that if Halloween hadn't caught on as it did, the landscape of modern-day Hollywood would look substantially different. And," she concluded, "we probably wouldn't have gotten John Carpenter's version of The Thing, and to me, that's the best horror movie of all time."

By the end of Julie's the young man was leaning forward, elbows on the table as he listened intently to Julie. "Slasher movies are not my cup of tea, but you laid out a unique and compelling discourse that grabs me as a film buff. Is horror your preferred genre?"

"I love all genres," Julie answered. "I love movies. As long as they're entertaining on some level, what kind of movie they are doesn't matter to me."

"A solid viewing philosophy. One more question. How would you say Halloween is more influential than Black Christmas or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? The originals, of course."

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre isn't a slasher movie." Julie held up her hands as the young man tilted his head. "A lot of people and critics categorize it as one," she admitted, "however I say it's an exploitation movie. And Black Christmas has all the elements of a slasher movie. It also influenced Halloween which is the movie that brought those elements to the mainstream."

The young man was silent as he stared at Julie before lowering his hands from his chin. He slowly clapped at Julie, an impressed smile on his face. "That was perhaps the best defense I have ever heard regarding slasher movies."

"If I ever make the foolish decision to obtain a doctorate in film studies, you've just heard the rough outline of my thesis." She reached across the table. "Julie Wyndham."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Wyndham. Jaxon Oglesby, at your service. Please, make yourself comfortable, and let me tell you about the Farragut Film Society."

"Before we proceed, allow me to ask you a question. What do you believe is the best movie of all time?"

"Easy. Roman Holiday.

X X X X X

"Alexander."

"Gah!" Caught off guard, Alexander jumped at the unexpected voice coming from behind him. He turned around, hand on his chest, to see a young woman with wavy chocolate brown hair and pale blue eyes looking at him with surprise. "Karen," he managed to get out.

"I'm sorry," she said with concern, "I didn't mean to frighten you."

"No, no, it's OK," he said, finally able to catch his breath and throw on a smile. "You caught me off-guard and woolgathering, that's all."

"Oh good. I was afraid you might be one of those nervous guys who freak out when a girl says 'hello' to them," she teased, answering his smile with one of his own.

Alexander shook his head. "You didn't say 'hello,' you said my name. There is a difference."

"Four more letters and two more syllables. Perhaps it's not the word itself but its linguistic makeup that frightens you." Karen tilted her head slightly as she studied him. "Did you loathe high school English, Alexander?" she asked in a low voice.

"One, you can't psychoanalyze me yet. We've only got one week of Intro to Psych under our belts. And two, yes I did, but that was because of my fellow students, not the coursework."

"Noted." Karen added a friendly laugh to her words. The young woman was clad in black jeans and a green-and-blue striped shirt, which almost went along with Alexander's blue jean shorts and his light green t-shirt. "So, why the woolgathering? The sights and sounds of the student expo don't appeal to you?"

"Oh, they do. Rampant commercialism on one side and cult recruitment on the other?" Alexander punctuated the back half of his sentence by gesturing towards a distant part of the student union. Underneath a group of colorful banners emblazoned with Greek letters, several groups of older students were drawing in a substantial number of freshmen. "How could I possibly resist?"

"The appeal of fraternity life doesn't draw you in?" Karen playfully asked.

"I managed to escape high school with my sanity intact. I am not," Alexander said firmly, "going to willingly subject myself to more social ladder bullshit by buying my way into a friendship pyramid scheme."

"And here I thought you'd look cute with a popped collar and backward baseball hat. So why are you still here?"

"Waiting on my roommate," he answered. "We're having dinner with some friends so he's grabbing a bunch of menus so we can decide where we want to go. What about you?"

"Waiting on my roommate to finish getting recruited by a cult." Karen pointed towards a nearby table, where a black-haired waif of a young woman, her shorts and tank top showing off her scrawny legs and arms, was holding a conversation with a regal, severe-looking young woman. Her hair was raven-black, with a velvet shimmer evident even at a distance. "The University Group for God," Karen explained. "Gwen came here today specifically to talk to them. Wanted to see if they were worth joining."

"Gwen. The girl who drank an entire party under the table last weekend. Is talking to what I'm guessing is the campus Christain group?"

"Gwen," Karen responded, "the girl who got up early and bought me coffee and donuts the next morning. Turns out she's... actually," she said, motioning with her chin, "why don't you find out for yourself?" Alexander turned to see Gwen nodding in goodbye to the regal young woman, adding a friendly wave before moving in his and Karen's direction.

As Gwen met Karen's gaze, the petite woman gave an exaggerated shrug accompanied by a weary smile. "Yeah," she said as she joined Karen and Alexander, "they're not my style."

"I'm sorry. Gwen, this is Alexander de'Armound. Alexander, please say hello to Gwen Crutchfield."

"I vaguely remember you," Gwen said as shook Alexander's hand. "You're the one who helped Karen bring me back to our dorm last weekend. Thanks for being a gentleman."

"Thanks accepted, however not required." Alexander grinned. "It's a pleasure to remake your acquaintance. So, University Group for God, huh?"

Gwen sighed dejectedly as she glanced over her shoulder. "They seem nice on the surface, but I could tell right away they are fundy as fuck. Too much 'do what we say' and not enough 'do what Jesus said.' I'd be tempted to drink if I hooked up with them."

"So why were you checking them out?" inquired Alexander.

"Looking for a campus church. My first Sunday at college and I end up not going to church? My Dad's going to chew my ear off about it the next time I talk to him. Maybe I can find an online one to tide me over until I find a local congregation..." Gwen stopped talking as she saw the puzzled look on Alexander's face. She shot Karen an amused glance. "He doesn't know, does he?"

"Nope," Karen smirked.

Gwen shook her head as she turned back to Alexander. "Sorry. Turns out my roommate is a sociopath-in-training, with the way she likes to mess with people. I'm a preacher's daughter."

Alexander idly scratched the back of his head. "That's cool. Not what I expected, but cool."

"Let me guess," Gwen said, "Good Christian girl comes to college, goes to her first party, gets wasted, heads down a path of sin and debauchery? Too late." Gwen tapped her chest with two fingers. "I started down that path in high school. Just have to find my alcohol tolerance and I'll be a well-rounded party animal."

"Remember how I said at the party that my roomie had a sheltered upbringing?" Karen chuckled. "Turns out I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off."

"And on that note, please forgive me for being rude Alexander, but I'm starving." Gwen motioned towards the steps just inside the front door of the student union that led downstairs to the cafeteria. "You want to maybe join us for dinner?"

"Thank you for the offer," Alexander said appreciatively, "however I have a prior reservation with my roommates and some friends. I'll accept a rain check if you offer one."

Gwen shook her head. "Considering the weather yesterday, I'll offer you a meal to be named later. Good to meet you, Alexander. Or do you prefer Alex?"

"Alexander, please."

"See you in class!" Karen waved to Alexander as she and Gwen began to make their way towards the cafeteria. As Alexander turned away, head craned looking for Cole, he managed to catch a snippet of the conversation between the young women. "See," Karen proclaimed to Gwen, "told you he was kinda cute."

"Cute-ish," was Gwen's reply before the girls and their conversation were swallowed up by the crowd.

Alexander felt an unfamiliar sense of pride welling up inside of him. "Cute-ish? I'll take it!" The grin remained on his face as he resumed scanning the hall for Cole. It wasn't long before an arm leisurely raised from the crowd and beckoned Alexander. He headed in that direction, weaving his way through his fellow students, eventually finding Cole slouching against a wall. As he approached, Alexander paused for the briefest of moments when he noticed Julie and Eleanor accompanying his roommate. The smile faltered just for a second at the sight of his two lovers before Alexander managed to push his nerves down and join his friends. "Hello," he said in greeting. "Find what you were looking for, Cole?"

"That I did." Cole held up a fistful of colorful paper menus. "Also found our dinner guests." Julie gave him a polite nod while Eleanor daintily twirled one foot back and forth as she flashed him a saucy grin.

With a nervous grin to his previous evening's lover, "Hello, Eleanor. Once again, you have great choices in attire."

"Thanks," Eleanor grinned, motioning to her long-sleeved, off-the-shoulders loose white blouse and ankle-length black skirt. "Goodwill, Spokane. I always try to buy one piece of clothing for every two or three I donate." She twirled in place, flourishing her outfit for Alexander. "

From off to the side, a voice began to sing.

# You wear it well #

# A little old fashioned but that's all right #

Eleanor's face took on a red tint, picking up an appreciative grin as she turned, along with Julie and Alexander, to look at Cole. "You're making me blush in public," she said. "You know, I think that's the first time I've ever heard you sing, Cole."

"Lead guitarists exception rather than the rule comes to singing in bands. But Alexander had it right. Approve of the attire. So, food." Cole tapped the menus against his other hand. "Got all kinds of options here," he offered. "Italian, Indian, Kabob, Chinese, American, which is burgers and subs, Japanese, Chinese, Japanese and Chinese... ain't even counting the food trucks. Plethora of eating establishments for a small town."

"A small college town," Eleanor stated. She held up three fingers and ticked them down one at a time as she talked. "A small college town, a small military town, and a small resort town for vacationers who think Coeur d'Alene is too much to handle." Bumping both hands together, she added, "Three small towns, one culinary melting pot. There's also a good chance some of those places are brand new for this school year," she added.

"What's everyone in the mood for?" inquired Alexander.

"Suggestion." Cole pointed towards the front doors of the student union. "Instead of standing here deciding, people up for going to one of our rooms and calling for delivery?"

"That is a sound plan," Julie said. "It would provide an appropriate level of privacy to discuss the events of both last weekend and last night. The discussion of our sexual proclivities should go hand-in-hand with discretion."

"In other words, we should make sure no one overhears what kind of sluts the four of us are."

Julie responded to Eleanor with a sly expression. "Why give such information away for free?"

X X X X X

As Eleanor scraped the remains of her sweet-and-sour chicken into the Tupperware container, Cole told Julie, "Thinking I should be taking notes on your practicality."

"I already have," admitted Eleanor as she put the sealed container in the mini-fridge. "Not just for storing leftovers but for bringing extra food back from the cafeteria in case I get the munchies in the middle of the night."

From his spot on the floor, Cole motioned in Alexander's general direction. "Make a note on the board to get Tupperware. First though, make a note to get a board to make a note on the board to get Tupperware."

Alexander pulled his iPhone from his pocket. "Reminder," he muttered, "get a dry erase board for the door." After a moment the young man looked across at Julie. "You haven't visited our room yet, have you? Would you be willing to swing by this week and do a... I guess call it a practicality sweep?"

"I will come by tomorrow if that's a convenient time for you." Julie tapped her spoon against the side of the plastic container holding the last remnants of her wonton soup. "It's the least I can do to pay you back for covering dinner tonight."

"Thanks from me as well," added Cole. "Ain't gonna run you in the red, is it?"

Alexander shook his head. "It's money I was planning to spend at the expo anyway. Buying you guys dinner felt like the perfect capstone on our first week of college. Just don't expect it all the time," he teased.

Having climbed back onto her bed, Eleanor reached over and put her hand on Alexander's forearm. "Aw," she said with faux sweetness, "and here I thought you were trying to get me to put out again."

There was the barest of hitches in Alexander's throat before he patted Eleanor's hand. "Appreciated," he said with a single waggle of his eyebrows, "but not expected." His words drew a chuckle from Cole and a hearty laugh from Eleanor as she settled back on the bed.

The four friends were gathered in Julie and Eleanor's dorm room, finishing up their dinner of Chinese takeout from a restaurant called the Village Wok. Julie sat at her desk, spooning out the final drops of her wonton soup, while Alexander had taken Eleanor's desk for his sushi dish of salmon rolls. Eleanor lay on her bed, balling up the towel she had eaten her sweet and sour chicken on and easily making an overhand toss to throw it into the nearby laundry basket. Cole, his crab rangoon devoured almost immediately, sat on the floor, his back against Julie's bed, legs leisurely stretched out in front of him.

Cole waited for Julie to finish her soup. After she placed the plastic container, her spoon, and several used napkins in the garbage can under her desk, he coughed politely. "Reckon we got a conversation to have." He slid down the side of Julie's bed, moving to a spot where he could see the other three. "So," he said as he looked at his friends, "anyone want to kick this off?"

Save for the routine noises of a college dorm, a heavy curtain of silence draped over the quartet. Julie had turned her chair to face everyone, her back straight and hands folded in her lap. Alexander leaned against Eleanor's desk, rubbing his lips with one finger. It looked to Cole as if his roommate was trying to mentally categorize his thoughts. Before Alexander spoke, however, Eleanor sighed anxiously. "I'll break the ice." She rolled over and sat on the edge of her bed. Her hands gripped the edge of her mattress. Her legs kicked slightly, bare feet bouncing gently against the wooden bedframe.

"Let me preface this," she began, "by saying I have absolutely no regrets over last weekend. Or last night, for that matter." Her smile towards Alexander was an attempt to put him at ease before she continued. "This dynamic the four of us have. I've known the three of you for a little more than a week and already I feel incredibly at ease around all of you. I looked forward to tonight because it meant a chance to hang out with you guys again," she said, nodding towards Cole and Alexander before a saucy grin crossed her face. "Oh, yeah, and the two of you are top-shelf lays."

"I agree with Eleanor's assessment," added Julie, "both in terms of our growing friendship and your sexual prowesses."

There was pride in Alexander's body language as he sat up straighter in his chair. "Thank you. You two ladies are also excellent between the sheets."

"Concur," Cole concluded succinctly.

"Good. We all want to be friends, the girls want to bang the boys, the boys want to bang the girls. So before we go any further, we need to set some ground rules." Eleanor glanced at each of her friends in turn before continuing. "I'm proposing them so we can talk about them. Nothing is carved in stone yet. First," she began, "we are not exclusive between the four of us at this moment. Any of us can sleep with any other of us without drama."

1...345678