Midnight's Daughter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'd mourn you," she said, her voice cracking.

"You won't even want me any more. You struck me. You pushed me away."

The spark of anger flared in her eyes - and the sheen of new tears. She bit her lip hard and took a slow breath as if to calm herself.

I felt a sharp pain in my chest; I'd been cruel.

"I'm... sorry," I gasped. I squeezed my eyes closed, furious with myself. "I'm sorry, Daniella. That was unkind and unfair. You didn't deserve that. What happened was my doing; I lied to you and that is... false to who I should be. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for... seducing you. I'm sorry for hurting you the way I did. I'm sorry for... for destroying your happiness. I regret this. I... I just wanted to belong, for a little while longer. To be touched, to be held once more before I... faded."

A silence fell between us, broken only by the whisper of my waves.

Then she broke the spell; she moved, wiped her eyes, gave an unlovely sniff.

"What do you want to eat?" she said.

"I... what?"

For only the third time in my millenniae of existence someone had asked me something that genuinely surprised me.

"What do you want me to get you to eat?" she repeated, louder this time. She wiped her eyes again. "Do you eat peppers? How about tomatoes? Olives? Pasta? Fuck... what I'm... what I'm trying... oh Mother of God. This is stupid. I'm stupid, words are stupid..."

She took a breath and pressed her palms hard to her temples.

"Let me try this again," she said, voice soft and shaking. "Isea, we need to set some... rules..."

"Some... rules?" I repeated, still not understanding her at all.

"We have things we need to talk about. Things we need to agree on. Things you need to... to explain to me - about you, about how we'll work. If we'll even work now. I want us to work. I... you... you're the first woman who's held me like that, the first who's kissed me like that. Nobody else I've been with has ever wanted more than just my... my cunt. You... you made me believe that you wanted more. Did you? No. Wait. Don't answer yet. I am not going to ask that question on an empty stomach. I can't. I haven't eaten today. And I can't think when I'm hungry or sad and right now I'm both. So. Again. What would you like to eat, while we... talk? About us? And... maybe... oh God, I hope... where we go from here?

I stared at her. I struggled to find words at first.

"Olives?" I hesitantly admitted, at last. "I like olives. And... fruit. Grapes. I love grapes. And... but no, it doesn't matter, you won't find them..."

"Find what?" she breathed, taking half a step closer.

"Pomegranates," I managed to somehow say, heart almost breaking at the memories. "They... you... you don't grow them here. Not any more. And... and oranges. I haven't had an orange in so long... I can barely remember them now..."

She made a soft sound and reached out to cup my bruised cheek; I closed my eyes as I tried to fix the memory of her touch forever.

"I will find them for you," she whispered. "Don't... hah. I was about to say, don't go anywhere." She took a deep breath and took my hand. Her expression was haunted... but she clasped my hand tightly in hers and curled her fingers possessively around it. I stared up into her dark eyes and nearly forgot myself in the warmth of them.

"Oh," I breathed.

"I don't know what I'm doing, or why I'm doing this, or why... you captivate me so," she muttered. "I should run. Everything screams I should run, and find a priest... or a fucking psychiatrist, and..."

She sighed. Her shoulders slumped.

"Promise me you won't kill me," she whispered. "Please, Isea. Promise me. Swear it by... by Selene's name."

I leaned forward and kissed her cheek; she shivered.

"People have drowned in me, Dani," I said. "It is tragic, but it happens. But I have never pulled them down. I tried to save those I could; and sometimes I managed. But were it you in my waters?"

I kissed her left eyelid, and then her right, and she whimpered.

"Daniella - I swear this in Selene's name. I would part my waters and carry you to shore and lay your head upon my breast and guard you until you woke. If it took until the last star burned out and golden Helios fell into Thalassa... I would hold you until then and beyond. If it took until my waters were dry and my body crumbled to dust, still I would hold you and guard you."

She brushed at her eyes with the side of her hand.

"You're crazy," she mumbled at last. "I'm not worth that."

"Yes you are," I gently disagreed. "And more. So - by Selene, the Great mother, by my waters, by moon and star and sky - I promise not to kill you... unless it's unintentionally - like, perhaps, by too much love, or perhaps too many orgasms..."

Her lips twitched upwards as if she were trying not to smile.

She shifted, took a breath.

"Okay. Fuck. Okay, I'm mad to... to even do this. But okay."

She took another breath and let out an explosive puff that kicked her curls away from her lips. She stared at me for a moment... then stepped forward and pulled me to her and hugged me fiercely; my pathetic bleat of need escaped me as I curled in against her with my heart thumping hard in my ears.

"Put something on," she whispered. She released me and stepped back so that she could look me up and down. "You may not get cold, but you're making me cold standing there naked like that. It's... too distracting. I'll... I'll just go to the market. It's just a little way back towards Predore and it... it should still be open. Would you like some wine as well? I mean... to share? With me?"

"I would love to share wine with you. Especially if it is the red from Villa Elisa. Please," I said. "But... Dani, my money is in my chest. I have some Euros in me, and I could bring them here... but most of the coins I have in me are all far too old..."

"You can talk to me and tell me everything, and then we will be even," she answered. "We can work the rest out later. Stay here. Don't move. I... I don't know how to find you if you're not here. I can't find you if you won't show yourself to me."

"I will stay here," I said. "There is nowhere else for me to be. But for future reference - touch my waters and say my name and I will come to you. I will always, always come to you."

She darted in; her kiss was brief and rushed, and her cheeks flushed hot as she broke away.

"Stay here," she gasped again, desperately. "Please. Wait for me. And for the love of God put your dress back on, or I'm not going to be responsible for the consequences."

I clothed myself in my tunic, and slowly lowered myself onto the sand; I felt entirely disturbed and deliciously light-headed; my lips still tingled from her touch.

"I will be here," I whispered. Then I laughed sadly. "I have nowhere else I can be any more."

She watched me for a moment longer before she turned and loped off into the gloom. A short time later a scooter coughed to life and roared off into the darkness; her trusty Lambretta carrying her through the night.

And I closed my eyes and raised my face and let Selene's gentle approval wash me clean of my sadness.

It seemed both ages and minutes before Daniella returned; she was breathing hard from running the short distance from where she'd parked. She carried two small paper bags and wouldn't let me see what was in them.

I tried not to show the relief I felt that she'd returned, that she hadn't reconsidered and simply elected to carry on running. It would have been the wiser choice, I thought.

But my lover was impulsive.

I stood and embraced her and felt the panted little curse she let out deep within me.

"Where can we sit? That's secluded, I mean?" she gasped, shaking from her mad dash back. "This is... too open."

I didn't even have to look.

"Thirty strides that way is a spot between two junipers. The ground is dry and the pebbles are small and flat. It is too sandy for scorpions. It is sheltered and will still be warm there; you will not get cold."

"But... what about you?" she asked as we began walking. "You're barely dressed. You'll catch a chill."

"I don't feel the cold much. And I don't get ill. Not like you."

"It must be nice. I hate being cold."

"Oh... it has its perks. For example, I don't have to worry about nipple stand," I added, innocently.

She scowled at me; I stared back. Her lips twitched; she was trying hard not to laugh.

"I can't help it," she said. "It's just... how they are. Even when it's warm. And right now... well, you're a lot to blame. I hope the view is... nice, at least."

"It is a nice view," I agreed. "Your breasts are lovely. They are almost my favourite part of you."

"Stop that, Isea," she breathed. She moved in closer and barged me gently with her hip. "Stop putting thoughts into my head before we've... made up properly. You've got work to do before you can take liberties with me again. And so do I," she said, softer and rueful. She took a breath. "Where are we going?"

"Here. Look - watch out for that rock, it is loose.

I caught her arm and steadied her, then helped her onto the soft silver sand.

"... Oh. Oh Isea. This spot is beautiful. Oh holy Mary, this is..."

She stared out in rapture at the moonlight on my waters, framed on either side by the ancient arms of the Junipers.

"It is perfect," she whispered.

"I like this place," I agreed. "At full moon I still come here sometimes. People used to get married here, on this part of the shore. I have many good memories of this place."

She followed my slow steps down to the water's edge and sat down beside me.

"If we're quiet, nobody will know we're here unless they stop and listen," I said. "The grass and the fall of the bank shelter us from view, and and the waves and the rustle of the trees and grasses muffles us. So..."

"So we're completely screened?" she said, softly. "Nobody can see us? No matter what?"

"Yes. We are alone..."

I squeaked as she leaned in and kissed me, and writhed as she placed her hand deliberately on my upper inner thigh, her fingertips almost but not quite brushing against my mons.

"Sorry... oh, oh wow, oh... sorry," she panted, when she finally released me. "It's just... I had to do that. I had to kiss you; I can't... I can't hold back. I know we need to talk, and I know it's all a mess..."

Her words slowed and stopped as I leaned my head against her shoulder and slipped my hand into the warm, sheltered alcove of her lap.

"I like how passionate you are," I whispered. "I like the fire in you. It's... nice. You're... nice. Oh, look," I laughed. "See, you disturbed my calm."

She stared out at the gentle set of waves that were travelling outwards, away from shore. "Hah. Does that mean you... forgive me?"

"I thought that was obvious, Daniella. It's you who needs to forgive me, now."

"I do. I forgive you, of course I forgive you... it's been awful. A disaster. I've been... crying like a girl, these past few nights."

"Why?" I said.

"Because. Because I thought... I thought I'd ruined everything. And I was so angry with you, and with me, and with... all of it. The strangeness - it terrified me, Isea. You're a goddess, for... for God's sake! All this still... terrifies me. All the old stories are true. All these unknowns are suddenly out there. But... but the worst...."

She took a shuddering breath and scrabbled for my hand.

"But... the worst was feeling that I'd... hurt you. I did hurt you," she added, as she brushed at the bruise on my cheek. "I can't... I can't believe I hit you. I will never, ever forgive myself..."

"You didn't chase me away. I am the water, I always return to where I am wanted. If I'm permitted to," I added, softly.

She made a sound somewhere between a laugh and a sob.

"I still think I may be going crazy," she whispered, after some time.

"Perhaps. Perhaps you have to be a little insane to truly see what's there. The best priests were all as mad as snakes."

"Thanks. I think."

She leaned her head against mine and I sighed.

"Isea?"

"Yes?"

"I have something for you," she said. "But first... you must close your eyes for me."

"Why?"

"Because I want you to."

So I did as she asked.

Paper rustled, and I felt her arms and shoulders moving as she shifted beside me. Then... the dimly-remembered scent of citrus on the night air. I couldn't help the sound I made, the little moan that escaped me.

"Oranges," I gasped. "You... you brought me oranges."

She went still, then fumbled for and found my hand so that she could squeeze it hard.

"And a pomegranate," she breathed. "The best one I could find. It is perfect and ripe. Here," she said, as she placed it in my hand.

I took an agonised breath. She hardly knew me, and I'd lied to her, and been false... and yet she still brought me treasures fit for queens...

"Oh. Oh, Dani..." I somehow managed, through the biting, cramping pain in my heart. To be blessed like this...

I loved this woman with everything that I was.

"But there's something else," she continued. "Here. I bought these for you. Smell this."

I brushed my tears away and tried to calm myself as she lifted something and presented it to me.

A new scent. Something sharp, something strange. Something I didn't know; something I couldn't place at all.

"What is that?" I whispered, my throat still tight, my eyes still shimmering.

"Passion fruit," she answered. "Here. Open your mouth and no peeking; there's enough light and I want to watch your expression... I have a spoon, it's plastic. Don't jerk, I don't want to spill..."

And then golden fire and the fierce joy of Spring enfolded me.

"Oh," I whispered, when I could.

"You're... crying," she said. "Isea... why are you crying?"

"It's... I'm..."

"Come here. It's okay, I didn't mean..."

And she gathered me onto her lap as I sobbed and clung to her.

"Sorry," I managed at last. "It's just... it's so seldom I... encounter anything new. It has been so long. Thank you. Thank you," I gasped.

"Here," she said. "Here, wipe your eyes on this. So... you liked that?"

"No," I whispered. "I adored it."

I shuddered, curling my toes and twisting my ankles to try and distract myself from the tingles that were echoing and reverberating throughout me. "It... words... words aren't enough. Is... where is it? Can I see?"

"There's not much to look at, especially in the dark. It's... bright yellow inside, like glistening liquid sunlight, and the outer skin is purple with strange green hues - a white fleshy pulp separates both. If you were to see it it uncut, it would look completely unappetising. But... open it, and the treasure is revealed. This is supposedly from the slopes of Stromboli itself, but that's probably a lie. But they are my favourite fruit."

"They might be mine now too," I sighed. "Passion fruit. It is well-named. Is there... more?"

"Yes. Here," she said, teeth white in the darkness as she smiled.

"Oh. Oh, it is amazing. But... Daniella, sweetheart... don't you want some too?"

"Mm. Do you know what? I think I do, yes."

And then she leaned in and kissed me; I melted against her, forgetting all else but the sense of her against me.

"There," she said, in a breathless whisper, once she was quite done with me. "Now I've had some as well."

I started to giggle, and she started to laugh, and then, not very much later at all, she kissed me again.

She held me to her for what felt like hours, and I could feel her pulse against me, the life within me thrumming tightly as she teased her fingers back and forth through my hair. She sang softly to me; her voice was low and smokey and utterly captivating, and I stared at the reflection of the moon-tinged juniper leaves in her eyes.

But at last she began to shiver.

"You should go," I said. "It is late. I wish I could walk you home, but... I think you live beyond my reach."

"I wish I could take you home with me," she whispered. "I wish I could wrap you in my arms and warm you and wake with you still there."

"Mm."

I reached out, trailed my fingertip along her eyebrow. She shifted, then groaned.

"We need to plan better," she sighed. "I don't want a kink in my back every time I lie beside you."

She rolled over and reached out, and the fingers of her hand slipped under the linen of my tunic and found and cupped my breast. I moaned softly, writhed against her as she slowly trailed her warm skin over me.

"That is not fair," I panted. "You're... cheating. You said I had... work to do first..."

"I fight dirty for the women I like," she whispered. She leaned in and kissed my throat. "I hope I'm making myself clear."

"Crystal," I groaned. "And... and now you're going to send me out into the night... unsatisfied? Is that it?"

"Fair is fair. I will be suffering too. Think of it as... penance. For your many... transgressions."

"Oh. How long must I suffer?"

"Until tomorrow. I must work. Perhaps afterwards... we could come back here, better prepared..."

Her hand crept downwards over my belly; I shuddered.

"I'd... like that," I gasped. "Dani, Dani, that is... no, you... oh. Oh..."

"You always feel so good," she groaned. "So perfectly smooth, so hot, so wet. No! No, I will be good tonight."

And she sighed and pulled away, leaving me panting as her hand gently brushed over and away from me.

I sat up and stared down at her.

Then I shivered, once; ripples spreading outward from the shore into my depths.

I stared at my lover, and sighed.

"You are cold, I am distracted. Home is what waits for both of us. Come. I can wait a day for you. I can wait forever for you."

I lifted her to her feet, and we picked up the peels of the oranges and the empty halves of the passion fruit that she'd fed me. She packed them and the remains of the glass jar of olives; the cheese and the bread she'd ravaged into one of the paper packets. She picked up the second and stood there, watching me for a moment.

"My scooter is parked up on the road," she said. "If someone hasn't stolen it."

"I will walk with you."

I took her arm in mine and did just that. And I stood there in the moonlight, watching placidly as she pulled her helmet onto her head.

"Thank you for... for being brave. For coming back to me. For... giving me a chance."

"You are worth it. Don't ever lie to me again."

"I won't. I can't."

"Okay. See you tomorrow."

"I can't wait."

She kissed her fingers and reached out to touch my cheek, then turned and threw her leg over her rusty Lambretta. It coughed into life; she blew me another kiss and then eased off and away.

"Thank you, Great mother," I whispered to Selene's waning face.

I made my way home, skirting my waters and walking up the bank by my cave - still carrying the brown paper packet that held my precious Pomegranate.

I placed the fruit on my bedside table.

I squatted on my haunches in the sand, lit a small fire, and sat staring into it until it burned down to ashes.

And then I crawled into the nest of blankets on my bed.

I fumbled my heart-stone in my hand and, clutching it tightly, fell down into deep, dreamless sleep.

🙙🝢🙛

The days became weeks, and she became the very center of my world.

Every morning I'd wake, and eat a few grapes, and then carefully check whether any of the pomegranate seeds I'd planted had broken through the soil and into the light.

Then I'd slowly make the rounds around my house, checking on all my plants, before I'd finally allow myself to make my way to the beach.

And then I'd sit there on the sand, content to wait for her.

Some days it would just be her, some days it would be the group. I was welcome among them, and I'd sit beside her and laugh and talk and thus, slowly, established myself as her partner - not just as her summer lover.

1...345678