Minx Ep. 06: Three Worlds

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One of the hazmat-suited men spoke. "Water worlds can have some value because of sea life and mineralization on the seafloor, but are fairly common. The water can be collected and shipped to farming worlds..."

"My apologies," corrected Dragon. "This world was an ice world prior to the change in the local star. Sea life is minimal and non-native as far as I was able to determine. Seafloor mineralization will be almost non-existent. The true value of this world is that it was supposed to be an alien species' Noah's Ark."

The others returned blank stares, even Edgar.

"Check your devices," advised Minx.

Edgar pulled back his sleeve and spoke into the silvery bracelet present there. The other men watched and listened as the link described, in a young man's smooth voice, the meaning of Noah's Ark.

"You can see that this place may hold a trove of alien technology unknown elsewhere in the galaxy." Dragon leaned forward. "How valuable would that be to you?"

"You've looted what you could?" asked Edgar.

"Of course. However, we had to leave precipitously. There was a free artificial intelligence on site in the underground complex. It decided we were hostile and we barely escaped. We did some damage on our way out."

Edgar was alarmed. "A free-thinking A.I.? It had autonomy and mechanical assistance?"

"Yes," answered Minx, surprised by the horrified response.

"I don't think this world will be suitable."

"The A.I. has been dealt with," stated Dragon. "It is still there in the ruins but its ability to harm others is greatly reduced. We were forced to use nuclear weaponry on its primary energy systems. Its mechanical weaponry was disabled when we left. It was just too much trouble for me to continue excavations to remove further technologies. There is a danger but I'm confident a properly equipped investigative team could operate safely within the complex."

"The advantage of numbers," noted Minx.

"Hmm?" Edgar and the others looked confused.

Dragon sighed. "What has kept the human systems safe from hyperman incursions? Numbers. Why am I forced to engage economic means to establish my empire in human space? Numbers. There are too many of you. My vessel can easily destroy a thousand of your military vessels. What do I do when you send a fleet of two thousand against me? The same holds true for extracting resources from these worlds I've found. Your brains, physical bodies and technology may be inferior to mine, but you have the numbers to accomplish deeds that are difficult for me. I can take over a world in a day. Your multitudes can spread to a million new planets across the galaxy in a week."

Edgar looked at his staff who were busily engaged in recording the details on the holographic display. "What do you say?"

One of the men nodded to Edgar. "Supreme Director, not only has he surveyed and...apparently...disabled the free A.I. on this world, but he has also pinpointed storage and research areas within the complex. A well-equipped and trained team of perhaps thirty could empty this place of everything of value in less than a month. I've just received an assessment from our I.T. division and they're confident that under the current conditions they can disable or destroy the rogue A.I. given sufficient time."

One of the others excitedly pointed to the display. "This data indicates he's mapped out computer nodes and data storage areas. We can easily chop up the A.I.'s network and extract software in portions. There'll be double-time danger pay but I predict zero personnel losses through hostile actions."

"I think we have a deal," said Edgar. He sat back, brought his hands together as if he was praying and brought them to his lips. "Now, what do you want in return?"

"You aren't concerned about my concerns for galactic conquest?"

"Sir, every king needs banks. It is of no concern which government owns a planet or an industry as there are so many planets across the galaxy. Should one be a financial black hole we have others, and I do not believe for one second that should you take over human space - if you take over all of human space - that you will funnel wealth away from the human systems. I look at this as an opportunity with little risk. I assume hyperman economics are considerably different than what you will find in human space, but you will learn quickly."

"Hyperman economics?" laughed Minx.

"Forgive my companion. Unlike you, she is aware that hyperman society has no real economy other than simple barter and conquest. There will be very little in the way of funds transferred out of human space except in the process of expanding to worlds currently uninhabited by your people. Although if this venture should prove as successful as I believe it will then you may find a very small number of my people following in my footsteps. I intend to keep my actions in human space secret from all but a few very trusted hypermen."

"We would be more than happy to provide financial advice to you as your...favoured financial institution." Edgar's eyes almost glittered with visions of riches soon to come in to his bank. "I will have brokers, insurers and many others available for your future needs."

"That would be helpful." Dragon nodded to Minx. She reached into a pocket in her coverall and withdrew a piece of paper. One of the men in hazmat suits left his seat, collected the paper, and then handed it over to Edgar. "That is a list of some organizations I would appreciate having part ownership of at this time. The earlier the name is listed the higher priority it is. I think a maximum of ten to twenty per cent interest should be adequate in each case."

"Please give me a minute." Edgar and his staff conferred and, though they appeared to be speaking normally, Dragon and Minx could not hear their voices.

Dragon rose from his seat and walked to the window and looked out across the business park at the foot of the pyramid. Minx waited patiently in her seat, watching the hyperman carefully. He looked nervous to her practised eye yet she was confident the others would not be able to perceive it.

"Based on current stock pricings," began Edgar, "I believe we can follow your instructions for three quarters of the organizations on this list. Some of them are research institutions and scientific facilities and they will be eager for funds. Can we identify you?"

Dragon clasped his hands behind his back. "Yes. You are also wondering why I would invest in such things when my own technology is so far beyond that of human space? Minx?"

She cleared her throat. "Dragon believes some of these organizations will soon bear fruit. Their value will grow, bringing in more funds for further purchases. Also, you will note that there are two hospitals listed on the paper. Dragon believes that one of the easiest ways to ease human concerns about interacting with him will be to present himself as a benefactor for our people."

"Is there anything else?" Edgar asked.

"Some minor supplies, raw materials in relatively small quantities. I was in too much of a hurry to enter human space to acquire these by my own means. Minx?"

She produced another paper and passed it to the group. One of the figures in a hazmat suit glanced at the list and then passed it to Edgar.

"This is minor stuff, sir," the man explained. "We could have this to his vessel within a couple of hours. Goodwill."

"Get it done, then," ordered the Director.

"No charge?" asked Minx.

Edgar nodded. "I was invited to a business party later this evening. Would the two of you like to come along as my personal guests? It would allow you to mix with some prominent people on Forrestor's World. Perhaps Mars Bank can look into purchasing some property on this..."

"It's not necessary for our continued financial partnership, is it?" asked Dragon, suddenly seeming bored with the meeting.

"No, not at all."

"We must be on our way as soon as our arrangements are concluded here."

"Where to?"

Minx eyed Dragon. "He wishes to see Earth, even if it is premature for an actual visit on that planet."

"Ah! The mother world! It is a bit dreary for my tastes now, but I, too, once felt a yearning to visit it."

One of the others spoke: "Actually, three of these organizations are in Earth orbit...I mean two are and a third is on the surface. Once you have stock in them I'm sure they will be happy to entertain you."

"How soon will we be in Earth system, sir?" asked Minx.

"Seven days."

"Seven days...!" gasped one of the men. "If you traded that technology to us we could buy controlling interest in all these organizations!"

"I'm not interested in controlling interest; there are too many plans ahead for me to be bogged down with daily operations of mere commercial and educational organizations. That's why I came here. Once the galaxy is mine I'll need humans to administer everything in it. I can tweak here and there to improve profits but I wish to see what luxuries could be mine. There are benefits to being a ruler and those are the reasons why one becomes a ruler in the first place."

"We'll just need to get you some identification and verifications then," said Edgar. "I look forward to doing business with you, Dragon. This should not take long and I expect you can be back in your ship within an hour and off world in two, if you wish it."

Chapter 9: Investigation

"Oh, God!" Minx gasped as Dragon thrust into her and their simultaneous orgasms crashed upon them. She held him tightly as he relaxed in her arms. Their lovemaking was getting better and better as they learned more about each other. At last he rolled off her and laid beside her in the bed.

"Your appetites match mine very well," he observed.

"Yeah," she said as she stretched. "Seven orgasms. You are a superman. So, how are we going to find the strange matter?"

"I guess I'd better tell you. It seems that two facts point to hyperman intervention in human affairs. Specifically, the scuba pill that you were familiar with and one of my people being intimately familiar with secretive high-energy studies being performed near the centre of human galactic civilization. The scuba pill is, as you've seen, an exact match between our two peoples. Therefore, one of my people gave the technology to your people. Star Research was the company that was manufacturing and distributing them."

"I still assert it could have been a human invention that was stolen by a hyperman, or a case of our two peoples inventing it simultaneously."

"The technology is at least one hundred sixty years old among hypermen, likely quite a bit older among a much smaller subset before it became common knowledge."

"Oh. It was a fairly new thing when I used it on Earth."

"The question remains as to how one of my people learned of the strange matter research. The simplest explanation that fits both data points is he joined human society, to a limited degree, by trading technology for funding and prestige then he became involved in the strange matter research. Whether he instigated it or just helped it along, I don't know."

"It's more likely he instigated it or at least got it off the ground, Dragon. If it was already progressing fairly well when he put his fingers into it then the researchers would know enough and wouldn't have needed his help, or the disaster would probably have already happened."

"Perhaps. Let's say he instigated it. He shows up at some company and gets involved in the research there. After impressing some of the people with hyperman inventions, he gets them started in strange matter without giving them all the safety information they require but with just enough to get to the danger point he presented at parliament."

"He certainly lives up to the hyperman myth of being a complete monster."

"I concede the argument."

"Star Research wasn't one of the organizations on the list I passed to Mars Bank."

Star Research owns three semi-independent energy research companies. One of them is sure to be the place where we find the strange matter and we have a fair amount of investments in each of them. I investigated the past research papers of a large sampling of scientists and identified that all of the ones most likely to be engaged in strange matter research either work for one of these facilities or were offered jobs at one."

"And that's why you've had Hephaestus designing a storage unit of your design in his laboratory?"

"Just in case there's a leak and we need to contain it. I could not know how much strange matter these researches have so I've had Hephaestus build a fairly large storage unit. Although, I suspect they have a small quantity. It seems possible their entire supply was donated by a hyperman who happened to find a neutron star about to break apart, one of the very rare ones that actually contained a tiny quantity of strange matter just prior to or as a result of the explosion."

She stared into his eyes. "You're not planning on using this strange matter for your own purposes, are you?"

"Too dangerous. Best to put it into permanent storage."

"Like a black hole?"

"The accretion disc would prove to be one of the most dangerous places we could leave it. A vault in the heart of a cooled remnant of a star would be ideal. Determining how to feed it back inside a neutron star would be perfect, if anyone knew how to do such a thing. Tossing it out of the galaxy is a good temporary solution."

"How temporary, Dragon?"

"A few million years, I expect. Possibly longer, depending on how good my calculations are. It would certainly end up being someone else's problem long after human civilization in this galaxy had transformed into something we cannot possibly foresee. Personally, I prefer the cooled star solution."

Minx considered the danger of this material, a substance so dangerous that Dragon was considering tossing it from the galaxy to fly through the gaps between galaxies for an impossibly long time on the human time scale.

"By the way, you have a fair amount of investments..." she began.

"About that."

She rolled over and stared at him. "What did you do?"

"I put the stocks and funds in your name."

"My gold-digging days are over, at long last. Why did you do that?"

"It will ease human minds that you, a mere human woman, actually are the financial power. Anyone who knows that I'm a hyperman will believe I'm really in control anyway."

"That sounds contradictory. How can someone believe two contradictory things?"

"Alice wondered about that, and Arthur Dodgson understood it."

"Now you're just being obtuse."

"We should get up. We're already being hailed and will be docking shortly."

"Grrr. You just want to keep things hidden from me." She rolled out of the bed and onto her feet.

He admired her body for a second as she stepped into her freshly-cleaned white coverall. He then got up and put on a similar outfit. He put a sidearm in his belt holster.

"Aren't we a little overdressed, Dragon? This isn't the wild west."

"I have a feeling there could be more here than we might be expecting."

"Agents of your hyperman friend?"

"Agents of or, more likely, people whose trust has been well-bought. Are you going to wear one?"

"I'm a rich socialite checking on her recent acquisitions and charities." She poked a finger into his chest. "You're the burly bodyguard who will throw himself in front of weapons fire meant to kill me, and who harbours a secret love for his boss that he only expresses by peeping on her when she's in the refresher."

"I'm completely innocent or you would have fired me by now." They left the bedroom and headed for the bridge.

"Maybe I like it when you ogle me. So, are we checking these places out one at a time or did you have a reason for checking out this particular station? I haven't been here before."

"The entire station is owned by Sidra Energy Research, a division of Star Research. As someone who has invested heavily in this facility I would have thought you would have read through the reports..." he said haughtily.

She smacked his butt. "You only told me about that a few minutes ago."

"Ah, these socialites are so irresponsible. Making inappropriate advances to their poor bodyguards. Not reading the important business materials their financial advisors took the time to put together and send them. It's a wonder you're still as rich as you are."

"Have you been learning snappy dialogue from Aphrodite?"

"She doesn't speak to me much anymore - too busy with her lover."

"Ditto. And I don't want to interfere. They apparently go at it like rabbits and are perfect fits...don't look at me like that! I didn't mean it that way. Although, in the last few weeks I've heard more about mechanical sex than I ever thought I would, and I've flown with Aphrodite for years!"

"It may be that humanizing of A.I. may paradoxically make them more threatening as they take on our bad qualities, and less threatening as they take on our interests and desires."

"By the way," she cast a look at her companion, "I've been in touch with your sister as late as yesterday."

"I see." Dragon checked the charge on his laser pistol.

"Aren't you curious as to how she's doing?"

"If there were a problem you would have told me...but I am curious."

"She's fine. Ramses and her have also been going at it like rabbits." She actually saw him cringe at the comment. "Sorry. She and Ramses are doing well and are very compatible according to what she's told me. They are curious about what we'll discover, though they both seem to agree with your and Aphrodite's initial assessment."

"That's...good. I find myself strangely pleased by Artemis' happiness."

They entered the bridge. Minx hurried over to the command chair and sat in it.

"My turn to sit on your lap?" offered Dragon.

"As my bodyguard you should be standing at attention behind me, not speaking. Oh, and looking perfectly screwable."

"We've been allocated a berth and Hephaestus is taking us in."

"Aphrodite isn't distracting him? I'm disappointed in her."

"Hephaestus, like the hyperman who designed and built him, is fully capable of doing two things at once."

"Now I'm disappointed. I had hoped you were only thinking about me a short while ago."

"I was just bragging and lying at the same time. Feel better?"

"Completely. Do we have a guide waiting?"

"Yes. Station Director, I believe. How do we play this, boss?"

"You tell me. It's your plan, Dragon."

"You sat in the command chair, Miss Minx. I'm just the dumb bodyguard." She stuck her tongue out at him. "That's hardly helpful but perfectly in character."

"Let's just play it by ear, then? We're curious. You haven't been to Earth before. I've never really had money and power before. We ask lots of questions and demand to know everything that's going on?"

"With the carrot of future donations dangling in front of them," advised Dragon.

After docking, the two left the ship to find a middle-aged woman waiting for them. She wore a bright green knee-length, high-necked dress and she stared uncomfortably at Dragon. Minx thought the woman a little prudish; her lower legs, hands and face were the only exposed skin. Space station attire near Earth tended to be more exposing in Minx's experience, as the interiors were usually maintained at a temperature comfortable for the lightest of clothing.

"Dial it back, Dragon?" suggested Minx in a whisper.

"We both should do so. She's wearing nostril filters and that will help some."

"Hello, Miss Lazer and...Mister Dragon," the woman greeted them. He hair was short and greying above the ears. Wrinkles around her dark eyes spoke of her position of responsibility and authority, and the worries that came with both. "I'm Director Ingrid Kowalski. Welcome to Sidra Energy Research. We are currently some seven hundred kilometres above Earth's surface. We were quite surprised at the request forwarded through Mars Bank, as we rarely give tours. You'll understand that much of our work here is very sensitive."