Mirror, Mirror

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maureen looked at her daughter, she spotted the lie and as direct as ever asked, "Are you living with him?"

"No, he... he sometimes stays over."

"Oh my God, you're having an affair."

"No, it's just... its not an affair, it has nothing to do with Scott and my other life."

"Your other life! Are you serious, you leave you husband and daughter for months on end whilst you carry on with some royal playboy."

"Claude isn't like that."

"Your protecting him... really! Don't you think your mind should be on your husband and saving your marriage."

"Scott is fine, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. It's in hand, the contract ends in another two months anyway."

Maureen slammed the magazine onto the coffee table, "He is far from fine, he is wondering why his wife is holding hands and kissing another man and what he did to deserve being deserted. You have a husband and daughter, they are very real, this is not some cheap romance, you're already married!"

Shannon broke down in tears but her mum didn't let up, "You're swanning around like God's gift, no wonder you didn't come home; leaving Scott to look after your own daughter, I don't know who you are. And when your husband calls to find out what is happening you put him on hold and then dismiss his concerns."

Just then they heard the apartment door opening and a male voice call out," I am home Mon Cheri."

Claude turned the corner to find Shannon and her mother staring at him. He recovered quickly, taking and kissing the back of Maureen's hand.

"You must be Shannon's mother, I can see the apple didn't fall far from the tree, you are very beautiful."

The sound of the slap across Claude's face echoed around the large apartment, "Don't start with that crap with me, my daughter might be an idiot but I assure you I am not!"

Claude held his cheek in shock, his eyes watering.

"Please tell me you're not going to cry! How pathetic and how dare you seduce a married woman."

Claude tried to recover, "It was not planned, it was a true romance, we can't defy the fates."

"Bullshit! It was very planned and either of you could have stopped it, you aren't brainless morons, well she might be. You do realise she has a daughter, my grand daughter that she will lose."

"I won't lose her mum."

"Really, if your own mother knows Scott is a better parent I can't see a family court seeing it any differently, you have all but abandoned her for this... this piece of shit."

"I haven't abandoned anyone and the family courts won't come into it."

"Wake up Shannon, Scott is talking about divorce, you have disregarded the man and abandoned your child; if he finds out for sure you have had an affair you are finished."

Claude tried to support Shannon's stance, "This is a brief romantic interlude, I never intended to harm Shannon's marriage."

"No you just intended to get your leg over and succeeded because it appears my daughter is a tramp, Tell me something are you going to step up, marry her, look after her daughter."

Silence.

"No I didn't think so, a divorced mum wouldn't be the right fit for the image and family would it?"

Claude shifted uneasily, "Shannon I will leave and allow you some time to sort this out with your mother, its obvious you need to discuss things."

With that Claude left.

"He's a coward as well, running off and leaving you. Why did you do it Shannon?"

"I know its wrong mum, but he is so different, the confidence and looks and he was interested in me. Then the money, prestige, gifts and power it's all so intoxicating. My other life seemed diminished in comparison and my attention became focused on Claude. I still love Scott and I can partition this part of my life."

"You need to get your arse home and talk to Scott."

"I can't, we have a big launch event in Cannes this week."

"Still putting your lover first, get a grip Shannon, you're going to lose your family or is that what you want, a life with Claude, do you love him?"

"No, I love Scott, this isn't permanent."

"Then you're crazy risking your family for a fling, I swear if you don't tell him I will, he deserves better, you're supposed to look after him and Chloe."

"You have to help me mum."

"What by keeping your sordid little secret, I don't think so! You're a cheat Shannon, try admitting it to yourself at least. Try some honesty, tell Scott what has happened and beg forgiveness. Be under no illusion Shannon, I doubt he will take you back and I wouldn't blame him one iota."

***

Shannon returned home on the same flight as her mum the following day, Maureen wished her luck as Shannon got out of the taxi.

She took a breath before going through the front door, the first thing she saw was Chloe, she called out to her, only for Chloe to run into Christine's arms in a slight panic.

Scott turned to see what the commotion was about only to see Shannon.

"Why are you here?"

"What do you mean... I live here."

"No you don't, but why now, you deserted us."

Christine hurriedly said she would take Chloe to the park and ushered her out of the door.

"So are you going to say this nothing or can we just admit you fucked him as well."

Shannon flinched at the harsh words but there was no use denying it, "I made some mistakes Scott, I am sorry."

"How long?"

"A few months, since the Gala. I'll stop with Claude and the job only has another two months to run."

"Fuck me, you're still putting the job first and you say it like it's nothing."

"This was never apart of us, it was a separate parallel life. I have never stopped loving you Scott, we were sort of separated during the contract."

"No you separated us to be with Claude. I don't even know who you are, the girl by the boilers, she's long gone. She has all the money in the world but has never been such been so... cheap. You say you won't continue, but you still want to, if only I had stayed ignorant eh."

"I have missed you... a lot actually, that's part of the reason I went with Claude I think. But I am choosing you over him. It's not as bad as you are imagining, it's not like we were at it every day, the job was very busy."

"No you chose the other way around already and I don't want seconds. As for the amount: how many times have you made love to me compared to him in the last few months? Come on Shannon, our side is easy to count, zero, what's he had 50, 100?"

Shannon cringed inside, her head hanging down with the weight of truth in Scott's statement, "I am still you wife."

"In name only and not for long if I get my way."

Shannon knew her explanations sounded weak, in panic she tried another tact, "This isn't all on me, you let yourself go whilst I was out earning the money to keep you and provide for us."

Scott was incredulous, "Not that you have appreciated it, but its hard to get to gym when you are a single parent. You used the time I spent parenting for you to devote to your lover. Thanks to Christine I am putting that right."

"Christine! You and Christine..."

Scott interrupted, "Don't judge me by your standards Shannon, Christine has been a good friend, nothing more. She's given me time to get fitter and pick up some of my previous interests, you know actually try having my own life."

Shannon looked at Scott, he did look thinner, she thought it was stress at first but on looking again he appeared healthy and fit.

"As for the money, you forget I supported us and juggled all of the child care to allow you to finish your degree and I dropped all of my aspirations to look after Chloe, only for you to throw it all back in my face. You've listened to too many people tell you how wonderful you are."

Shannon slumped down in a chair.

"Give it up Shannon, it's a lost cause! You don't want me, at least not enough and I deserve better."

Later Shannon looked at the message from Claude, "How did your confession go?"

"Terribly, I think we are finished!"

***

Scott was shocked to see the limo and SUV parked outside his house, it just didn't fit the area. He suspected who it was and dragged himself inside to find Shannon, Claude and two guys who looked like security in his living room.

He looked directly at Shannon. "When did you stop respecting me?"

"I haven't done that, I do respect you, more than you know."

"And yet here we are with your lover sitting next to you in our home, I can't think of anything less respectful unless he starts giving you one over the coffee table."

"That's all finished, Claude is here to help us."

Claude launched in, "I am sorry for any misunderstanding, Scott you are over reacting, we had some fun yes but it was a brief interlude. Shannon told me all about you and how much she loves you."

"She told you that and still you fucked her, hardly prince charming are you... why are you here?"

"I'd hate to think I caused a long term issue, can I offer compensation or pay for counselling?"

"Do you expect to wave your magical royal money wand and fix everything? Well you can stick that wand right up your arse. And I don't need counselling, my wife is a cheat and a liar... its pretty simple. You aren't here for us, you are here to limit the damage, wouldn't want your reputation tarnished after all, a royal scandal is always juicy for the press. So listen to my considered and full response... just fuck off!"

The security guards both twitched.

"That is a threat Scott, I could make things very difficult for you."

"Really, are you going to threaten me into a happy marriage, I'd love to know how that is going to work out. And if I get in trouble who is going to look after Chloe when you want to fuck my wife again. I am sure you would love the tabloids to hear how you stole my wife. Once that gets out I suspect others will come forward."

"What do you want Scott?"

"A happy marriage, but you took that, you're a shallow self-centred egotist. Why choose a married woman when you could have anyone? Do you get off from taking what isn't yours, it's not a romance, it's just a game to you..."

Scott turned to look his wife in the eyes before continuing, "...congratulations Claude, you won and you're more than welcome to claim the prize."

He turned to one of the security guards, "Get him out of my house before I decide to take my chances getting through you two. I'm trying not to do anything to jeopardise looking after Chloe but that situation might change.

Shannon sat in some amazement, she had never seen Claude so easily dismissed, people usually fawned over him, he had title, money and power, and Scott made him seem utterly inconsequential.

The lead security guy smiled but not cruelly, "I think we do need to leave Sir, he has every right in his home."

Claude nodded, "Shannon I think your contract has run its course, I will pay the outstanding balance and say you completed ahead of time but I won't need your services going forward."

With that Claude left the small house, the two guards in tow.

"Seems like you have been dumped dear, not a nice feeling is it? Funny how the job was so important but he can cope so easily without you. Makes you wonder if it was a real job in the first place or if you were just his bed warmer."

"Don't be cruel Scott, that isn't you."

"Cruel or am I treating you like you've treated me over the past year?"

We can fix this Scott, I am so sorry. The job and the money was for us... for a better life; the affair was a mistake and not important.

It was important to me, and we hardly spent a penny of what you earned, you didn't even notice. I didn't like the way it was earned, you didn't just desert me, you deserted our child and that's unforgivable.

***

It was a couple of days later when Scott received a call from the French press. He was about to end the call when he remembered Claude's visit to his home. It lasted just a couple of minutes, with Scott confirming he was married to Shannon Williams, that they weren't divorced or separated and that they did have a child. He was aware of a relationship between his wife and Claude; but he refused to say more.

The story broke a few days later; it was an expose focused on Claude who was branded as a philanderer, not in itself a problem but the list of linked marriage break ups were. Shannon was mentioned in passing along with many others.

***

The divorce dragged on for months with Shannon resisting all the way. They sat in an office with their lawyers, Scott finally breaking the awkward silence.

"We need to talk about Chloe and the divorce Shannon."

"If you pursue the divorce, I want the house, and the savings seeing as I earned them."

"Fucking hell Shannon get a grip, I suppose at least your consistent, so materialistic and you just have to win don't you. I want full custody of Chloe."

"Never, Chloe needs her mum."

"Don't make me laugh, she barely knows you. Where has her mum been... oh yeah too busy fucking knob head to bother with her own daughter!"

"I am not giving you custody of my daughter."

"You already did 12 months ago! When was the last time you spent a whole day and night with her, you have no idea of Chloe's bad dreams or her issues at school. I do, your mum does, Christine does, she is more of a mother to her than you could ever dream of being. Face facts, Chloe needs me and I'm a better parent. For once try to base a decision on what is right for her, not you trying to win again. I swear you can keep it all, all of the money but I'll fight to the death for Chloe."

"Do you hate me that much, that you don't trust me with our own child. I could be in her life, in both of your lives, if you let me."

"If you mean staying together, that is never going to happen. There's something I don't understand, when you admitted your affair, how did you think you were ever going to get away with it?"

"I thought you would forgive me."

"It never crossed you mind I wouldn't take you back did it? You really have an inflated opinion of yourself. Well I won't ever take you back. You know 6 months ago I looked in a mirror and felt worthless, broken, a fool."

"You're not, you're a wonderful kind caring man, I hate that I did that to you, I never knew what I had."

"You know I am finally starting to think you are right, I can look in a mirror now and feel better about things and better about me."

"You can! Well that's good, what changed?"

"It's more of a who."

"What do you mean?"

"Christine made me see myself differently, that your actions don't change who and what I am. I'm ok with who I am, just took someone else to help me see that."

"No how can you? You lecture me about cheating and you're fucking my best friend."

"I didn't say we have been having sex, we haven't, but I hope that's in our future, when the divorce is finalised."

***

Shannon asked to see Scott with no lawyers.

"I spoken to my mum, I think Chloe will be better off with you."

Scott looked at her waiting for the catch that didn't materialise, "Really, well thank you."

"I never meant any of it, it was supposed to be so one sided you wouldn't be able to leave; I never thought you'd just agree. We can split everything 50 50, my salary has increased, there's plenty of money to support Chloe."

Scott nodded, "Congratulations on the promotion Shannon, I know that was important to you."

"Yeah all my dreams come true, except the dream means nothing without you and Chloe to share it."

"What are you plans?"

"Move back home, try and reconnect with Chloe if you let me. I'll do better than I have been doing."

"I do want you to be part of her life, that's never changed, but you can't keep letting her down like you have been. The money isn't a concern, some of the songs I wrote are doing well."

"The songs really, that's wonderful. You always loved writing but how did that happen?"

"Once Christine started helping out I went back to college, did a short course on producing music and met some talented musicians. Turns out they liked my lyrics and I'd written lots of songs when stuck at home."

"Wow I had no idea."

"No, you weren't here to share in it, that hurt as well and when you didn't ask, I didn't offer any information. Anyway some of songs got passed around and a couple were picked up by a recording artist. I got a break, one of the songs I penned years ago on our European trip got covered and made top 20. Sounds nothing like what I wrote; but hearing it on the radio reminded me of us, fourteen years old and listening to the new top 10."

Shannon smiled at the memory, "I loved that and I always loved you playing and singing, that trip was magical. That was before I lost everything."

"They are good memories Shannon and you're still Chloe's mother, we will always have that."

"Yeah that and a shared mother, mum likes you more than me. Consider yourself completely adopted and you have zero chance of shaking her off. She never fails to remind me what an idiot I am."

Scott laughed heartily, "Maureen's the best, she's around a lot and dotes on Chloe. She mentioned slapping Claude, I'd love her for that alone."

***

Shannon moved home and steadily reconnected with Chloe aided by Scott, Christine and especially Maureen.

She was collecting a Thai takeaway meal when she saw Scott out with their old school friends. As ever he sat quietly, but when he spoke everyone listened and often laughed, he seemed to be the centre of the discussions.

He spotted her and headed over to see her, "Hi Scott, its nice to see you having a good time."

"Yeah we got together once I moved back up here, you should come over and say hello to the guys."

Shannon hesitated. "I can't, I am embarrassed about... everything,"

"They'll be ok with you."

"No its fine, don't you have any outdoor trips or music this weekend?"

"Yeah a gig tomorrow night and hoping to take Chloe on her first outdoors trip next weekend.?

"Sounds like the life you dreamed of."

"Yeah well, getting there I guess."

Just then Christine walked in, saying hello to Shannon as she took Scott's arm. Shannon recognised the look of adoration she gave Scott, it was the same one she'd had years earlier.

Shannon wished then both well and hurried out forgetting to pick her takeaway meal. She managed to contain the tears until she was out on the street.

Back in her flat, she looked in the mirror, not liking the reflection. With all the hotel meals and takeaways, she'd put on extra pounds. She looked tired, her clothes expensive but maybe too flashy, the skirt a bit too short and the heels too high; Monaco seemed like a lifetime ago.

The worst part was trying to look herself in the eye. What was she: a cheat, a poor mother; a divorcee? She'd thrown Scott away, the man who shared her dreams, supported her through college and given up everything for her and for their child; her mum was right, she was a bloody idiot.

In the background on the radio was another song from their youth and a familiar voice of Kirsty McColl and Shane McGowan, both sadly now departed:

"I could have been someone."

"Well, so could anyone,

You took my dreams from me when I first found you."

"I kept them with me, babe, I put them with my own,

Can't make it all alone, I've built my dreams around you."

Shannon wished more than anything that she had kept their dreams together.

12