Misery Breeds Company

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alright, that's it," he said. "Baby looks fine. I understand you don't want to know the gender so I'll omit that from the official report."

"Thank you," Jess said in monotone.

I made sure to keep to Jess's top half until the blanket was re-settled over her lower half. "I'll be in the waiting area while you dress," I said.

Jess just smiled at me and nodded, "thank you, Tim."

Let it be known, I am a man of my word. I made a single pit stop on the way home, where Jess waited in the warmth of my car, while I darted inside for ice cream. Once back at Jess's home, I took her inside and ran the bath for her. I grimaced, seeing the old stains in the tub that we couldn't get out. Mike stored chemicals and waste products in it, which permanently etched the tub. A quick look around, however, led me to an old bottle of bubble mixture. So I dumped a bunch of that in the tub and grinned as it filled up with warm water.

"You really didn't have to do this," Jess said, appearing behind me. She was dressed in a simple, slightly tattered robe and held a bowl in one hand.

I just shrugged, "I wouldn't want you to think I spoke flippantly. I'm a man of my word."

Jess smiled softly, "thank you, by the way," she said. "I... I know he was a nurse, doctor, whatever they're called. But... The last man who-"

"It's okay," I interrupted. "Really, I'm glad I was there if it helped."

"It did," Jess smiled.

Placing my hand in the bubbles, I felt where the water level was and nodded. Reaching over, I turned off the taps and stood up. "There you go," I grinned.

Jess just smiled back, "thank you, Tim. For everything."

Before I could react, she leaned forward and lightly brushed her impossibly soft lips on my cheek. Immediately, my face felt hot and I stammered out, "ah... Y-yah-yeah. No... No problem, any time."

And then, with all the care and grace of a drunken hippo, I shuffled around her and out the door.

"Tim!" Jess called. I stopped, turning in the hallway, bouncing off the wall as I overbalanced. "I'll make you dinner tonight, alright?"

I just nodded and turned around. Heading out to my car, I got in and sighed. "Great, finally get a kiss from the girl, and you pansy out... Fucking moron," I grumbled.

Turning on the engine, I got back out of the car and quickly went and closed her front door. I was still shaking my head when I pulled into the grocer to buy ingredients for a fruit salad. It was just about the only thing I could make and Jess said mine tasted better than hers. Which didn't make sense, seeing as she shopped at the same place I did. Before long I had all my ingredients and headed home to prepare them. After chopping the fruit, I checked the time and saw I had a few hours before Jess's usual time for dinner. So I headed upstairs and hopped on my computer. As usual, I found Sandra already online. So I joined her on a scenic flight as we traveled the length of the Great Wall of China. We caught up and I promised I'd visit the following week. But with it approaching six, I blew the old gal a kiss and signed off.

When I walked out of the office, I figured I could do a quick change. So a five-minute shower and some fresh clothes, I grabbed my container of fruit salad and headed over to see Jess. The lateness in the year had me drive though. It was alright walking in the daytime, but the temperature quickly dropped around five, when the sun dropped below the horizon. Pulling up outside Jess's home, I made my way to the front door. It opened as I reached it and Jess beamed at me from inside. She always wore a lovely dress that made her look like a fifties housewife. But her features looked exaggerated with her pregnancy. Not to mention... I swear her breasts are getting larger. Seriously, I didn't think I had a pregnancy kink, but... There was something so... Feminine... About a pregnant woman. Shaking my head to clear inappropriate thoughts, I smiled at her.

"I brought dessert."

"I've got fresh ice cream," she smiled back.

The incidents of Mike's abuse were few and far between for a long while. The last was actually caught by me. I had to dispose of a large collection of photos and movies we found in the ceiling while I checked for any obvious signs of termites. I didn't personally see what they were as I just handed the box over to Jess as I climbed up. But her broken explanation between sobs told me she never realized he'd been filming her. Immediately, I thought of the cameras I had installed to film her home. I mentally set a reminder to remove them. There wasn't a need for them anymore and I hadn't bothered to check them in months now.

Heading inside, the house smelled amazing. It turns out, she had an old recipe for a meat pie her mother used to make. Meat pies weren't something I'd tried, but when she plated it up I practically drooled on my plate. I was on my second helping when Jess cleared her throat.

"Tim," She said softly. "Can I ask you a personal question?"

"Yeah, of course," I smiled, taking another scoop of meat filling and marveling as it melted on my tongue.

"Do you find me attractive?"

And like that, I spat it back on my plate as I coughed and gasped for my glass of water. It took me a few minutes to get myself under control and Jess was staring apprehensively at me. "Jess... I... I don't... Ah..."

"Please Tim, answer the question."

I sighed, "you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

Jess just nodded, "then why have you kept me at arm's length?"

I frowned, "because I thought that's what you needed. After everything you went through, I didn't want you to think I was just jumping in where he left off."

"So you think I'm broken? Damaged?"

"NO!" I gasped. "God, no! I think you're talented and strong, far stronger than you give yourself credit for. I also think that if I tried to get into your pants, I might ruin the best friendship I've ever had. On top of that, I feared that one day you might want to take your skills and move somewhere else and... I didn't want to tie you here with little old me and my computer store."

"And yet, you never took into account what I actually wanted. You took it for granted that I would be happy."

"What?" I gaped as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Tim, I want you to kiss me," she said softly. "Please?"

"Jess... I..."

"Tim, if you can't kiss me. Please leave. I can't take being hurt again. If you kiss me and there's no spark, we can still be friends. But this... This whole thing... It's killing me, Tim. I feel so unloved, so disgusting, so worthle-"

I kissed her.

She froze as my lips pressed against hers. But her lips didn't move, so I gently pulled away.

"Again," she said.

Leaning forward, I kissed her again. This time, her lips moved against my own and I inhaled her scent. It swept me away like I was hit by a tsunami. It washed over me, making my whole body tremble and all I could think was how badly I wanted her. I have no idea how long we kissed. By the time I was aware of our surroundings, I was cradling her against me as she pressed herself firmly against me. And like that, I felt a small kick into my stomach.

"Oh," I said, moving back slightly so I could see where the baby kicked.

"Yeah..." Jess said softly. Her hand drifted down and caressed her stomach. "Tim, I..."

"One thing at a time," I said softly.

"Tim, what should I do?" she asked, looking up at me.

I just shrugged, "whatever you feel is best. But I bet you'll be an amazing mother."

She just blushed and leaned in, so I kissed her again. I was interrupted then, by my ringtone. With a smile, I leaned back and pulled out my phone to see a text from a strange number. The recipient information just said, 'EMERGENCY.' Flicking the message open, my eyes went wide when I read the text.

THIS IS AN EMERGENCY MESSAGE FROM SANDRA. A FALL HAS BEEN DETECTED AND PARAMEDICS HAVE BEEN DISPATCHED TO HER LOCATION. PLEASE BE AVAILABLE TO RENDER AID OR ACCESS TO THE PROPERTY IF POSSIBLE.

"Oh, god," I said.

Turning on the spot, I rushed outside and got in my car. As I started my engine, Jess hopped in beside me. I looked at her and she urged me to start driving.

"I read over your shoulder, let's go!"

Nodding, I took off faster than I ever had before. I made it to town in just over twelve minutes and Sandra's in another two. Pulling up in front, I rushed to her front door and knocked loudly.

"SANDRA?!" I called out.

I waited a moment for a response and tried the doorknob. Unfortunately, it was locked so I peeked through the glass beside the door. Seeing nothing, I rushed around the side of her house to check for any open windows. Getting to the back door, I took a peek inside. Sandra was on the floor, clutching her chest in the lounge. Our eyes met and she raised her hand towards me.

"I'm coming!" I yelled.

Trying the door, it was locked too. Rushing back around the front, I kicked at the front door. It banged but didn't budge. Dropping my shoulder into it, I bounced off and fell on the ground. Directly in front of me, was a fist-sized rock. Grabbing it, I stood up and thought about my options. Deciding it was here, or the back door, I hurled it through the glass beside the door handle. Reaching in through the broken window, I grabbed the key, still in the lock, and turned it. As the door popped open, I rushed inside with Jess behind me. Tearing across to the lounge, I rushed to the older woman.

"I'm here!" I cried, gently lifting her up and leaning her against my chest. "Sandra, an ambulance is coming! Just hold on."

Jess appeared and quickly helped move her into a half-sitting position.

"Tim," Sandra called softly. "Top drawer at my desk, at the back, there's a folder."

"I got it," Jess said, standing up and rushing to the desk. She returned a moment later with said folder.

"It's my will," she said softly.

"No, don't talk like that," I said, squeezing her slightly. "You're gonna be okay."

Sandra just smiled, "I got to see the world, thanks to you." Sandra took a shallow breath, "Tim, take my external hard drive. There's something on there. And Jess." She locked eyes with the young woman. "He's a good boy."

"Sandra, you're gonna be okay," I cried as tears rolled down my face. Jess didn't look much better.

"Tim," she said softly. I twisted around to look at her and she reached up to take my chin. "I love you like a son."

"I love you too," I whispered.

Sandra just smiled. And her hand fell limp.

"Sandra?" I gasped.

Chapter Eleven

I woke up. My whole face hurt. My back was cool, but my front was warm. The soft caress of something brushing against my face, had me crack open my eyes. It took me a moment to realize I had a hold of someone. Someone with surprisingly long hair, and a firm, rounded stomach. And... And Sandra... The tears rolled down my cheek as I clutched Jess tighter against my chest.

It took the paramedics an hour to arrive. When they did, I was still desperately using CPR to try and revive her. They continued for another twenty minutes, before giving up. Sheriff Roche was called in since there had been a death. Jess and I answered a few questions that dried up when I showed him the text I got. As Sandra was taken away, Jess handed over the will and packed me into the passenger seat of my own car. She drove slowly home with a police escort. I barely remember the trip. Nor do I remember ending up in Jess's bed.

But as she twisted in my arms to face me, I could see she was crying too. Without a word, she pulled me into her chest and stroked my hair as I clutched at her.

"It's okay," Jess said softly. "You filled an old woman's last days with joy. You gave her happiness right to the end." She held me until I couldn't cry anymore. Now I just felt weak. "Come on. You need a shower, then I'll make you breakfast."

I just nodded as she moved to stand. Immediately, I felt bad, seeing her groan as she climbed to her feet. But she still smiled as she turned to face me. Getting out the opposite side I looked down at myself. I had no idea I was naked under the covers. But right now I didn't really care either. I let myself be led into the bathroom, where Jess turned on the water. She held her hand under and made an adjustment before I stepped in under the wash. What I didn't expect was the feeling of soft hands to start scrubbing my back. Turning around, I took in the sight before me. Jess stood there, behind me, completely naked. She smiled shyly as I looked her up and down. I got the distinct impression she was nervous about her body image, especially with how much she was showing her pregnancy. I still had enough cognitive ability to pull her into my arms and kiss her. That told me how hard her nipples were, and told her how large my erection was. So I quickly pulled away.

"Sorry," I said sheepishly.

Jess just shook her head. "I get it. Now's not the time. But it's nice to feel desired."

That got a smirk out of me. "You were desirable the day I met you," I said, kissing her again.

After I was sufficiently scrubbed, at least on the top half, Jess had problems bending. I rinsed off and started returning the favor. I was gentle as I rubbed soap over her skin. I paused before I touched her anywhere inappropriate, which earned me a smile. It also earned me a feel when she pressed my hand between her legs and I felt just the barest hint of stubble before my fingers met her warm, slippery interior. I had a distinct impression, she wasn't wet from the water.

By the time we got out of the shower. I felt more or less human. The only option I had for clothes was what I had last night. I stayed commando though. As uncomfortable as it is, the thought of dirty underwear didn't appeal to me. Once dressed, I turned to see Jess struggling to get her underwear on. Moving over, I quickly got down on my knees and helped.

Jess blushed with a soft, "thank you, Tim."

She already had a bra on, and she quickly threw on one of her dresses. It also became apparent she wore them for how easy they were to put on. There was no bending involved. Just over her head and a zip at the back. With the both of us dressed, we headed for the kitchen. I tried to help with the eggs, but the second out of two eggs ended up with shell in the mixture and she took over. I just busied myself with coffee. Not that I understood having coffee as all Jess had was decaf since pregnancy. With the coffee done, I leaned against the bench and watched as Jess practically danced through the kitchen. After what I could only assume was a deliberate spin to flair her dress, she spotted me staring and quickly stopped.

"Sorry," she muttered.

I just shook my head, "don't stop, you're so beautiful."

Jess just blushed and nodded her head. I chose that moment to go find her stereo and put on some music. By the time I walked back into the kitchen, she was swaying gently. Coming up behind her, I looked over her shoulder to see how she did her eggs.

"Is... Is it okay?" Jess said.

Immediately I cursed myself. Of course, looming over her shoulder would make her nervous... Fucking idiot. "It looks great," I said quickly. "I tried to make this once. Found videos online to follow and still managed to turn it into a burned mess." Jess just giggled. "Hey, don't laugh! I had to throw out the whole frying pan!" Now she outright laughed at me. It was good to see her smile. But I moved away so she'd be more comfortable. Sipping on my coffee I watched this gorgeous woman dance and sway as she sang softly to the music. It was mesmerizing... Is this love? What if it is? She felt pretty damn good to hold. Better to kiss... And god... Her smell... I'm not talking body odor. I meant her unique, personal scent. She just smelled sooo... So damn good. Would it be wrong to love her?

"Let's eat!" Jess chirped.

I snapped to attention and realized she was holding a pair of plates. "Here, I've got them."

"Thank you," she smiled.

Taking the plates to the dining table, I smiled, remembering when we got rid of those chairs. The rickety one for obvious reasons. The nice one for what it represented. Placing both plates at either end of the table I turned and watched Jess as she carried in cutlery and out coffees. Putting them down, I heard a slight, "Hmmm." Grabbing our plates, she moved them so they were side by side. Grabbing a chair, she pulled it around to match her plate, before eyeing me. Grabbing the other chair, I pulled it around as well. Jess flashed me a smile and sat down, with me a moment behind her. I tell you, it's one thing eating her amazing cooking. Another when she casually leans against me as I do so. My heart thudded in my chest the whole meal as I was caught between looking down and admiring her, before going back and admiring my meal. Needless to say, she was finished well before I was.

When I finally cleared my plate, I carried them into the kitchen and dried as she washed. Then we sat in the lounge and finished our coffee.

"You two were close?" Jess asked softly.

I nodded my head, "Yeah... She was like my nanna." I grinned, "We used to play games online. Gave her a whole gaming rig."

Jess nodded, "keep the good memories alive, Tim."

I looked up at her and wondered how much of that was a survival instinct. "I'm hoping to make many more."

This time, when she looked up, she saw me staring at her and smiled. I didn't miss the subconscious rub of her tummy either.

"Tim, about the baby." She sighed, "I want to keep it."

"Okay," I said softly.

"Are... Are you going to leave?"

"Jess, are you asking me if I'll raise another man's child?" She nodded, unable to look at me. "Jess, it's your child too." Getting up, I moved to squat on the floor in front of her. "May I?" I asked, nodding at her stomach.

"Okay," Jess said almost too quietly for me to hear.

With a smile, I leaned forward and pressed my forehead to her rounded tummy. Her skin was warm beneath the dress and it radiated outward. It really was true about pregnant women being slightly hotter than normal. Reaching up, I gently palmed her stomach and turned my head to press my cheek against her. The moment I did, I felt a soft kick, making me smile again.

"Would you want more?" I asked.

"More what?" Jess mumbled.

"Children."

"I..." She sniffed. "I want three."

"Three is a good number," I said softly. "We'd need to get a bigger place eventually." I stayed still as Jess's hands started stroking my hair.

"We?"

I nodded slightly. "That... That is what you were referring to, wasn't it?" Jess didn't respond, "I bet she's a girl. She'll be as pretty as her mother."

Jess shifted, so I moved away to make it easier on her. But all she did was pull me in for a firm kiss. A wet, teary kiss. But a kiss all the same. As we pulled away, Jess was crying silently. She took a shaking breath and kissed me softly.

"Please don't hurt me," she mumbled as she pulled away.

I just shook my head, "I would hate myself if I did."

And like a dam bursting, Jess sobbed into my hair as I held her gently. "It's been so long since I've been held," she said, calming herself.

"Apparently I'm a bit of a cuddler," I shrugged.

Jess giggled softly, then straightened up. She wiped away her tears and smiled down at me as I resumed stroking her stomach. No matter the direction our relationship took, I made a promise to myself I wouldn't hurt her. Not after everything Mike did to her. She deserved to be happy. And I wanted to be the one to help her find her happiness.

"Oh, last night. I grabbed the hard drive," Jess said.

I lowered my gaze and pressed my face into her tummy and took a deep breath. "I suppose we should find out what's on there," I said softly. "Do you have a computer?" Jess shook her head, no. I shrugged, "would you like a tour of my home?"

1...45678...13