Monster Girl Encounter - Anubis Pt. 02

Story Info
The trust between man and monster gets tested.
8.3k words
4.7
9.4k
31

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 08/01/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Several weeks had passed. I got to make myself at home in the crypt of the Pharaoh, even had my own little pile of sand to sleep on. At first they offered me to sleep in one of the old sarcophagi but I humbly refused. Not because I was creeped out by the former resting places of dead people, no of course not, it was out of respect!

Anyways, with no knowledge of the outside world and with how society developed outside of the tomb, I slowly became the Pharaoh's go-to for information on the people living not too far away from her own doorstep. The Pharaoh's people were at their lowest point, along with her power due to her lack of interaction with the outside world and people, meaning we desperately needed new recruits to become her followers. Either that, or the kingdom would eventually crumble to dust, along with my new lover Karima. Which at this point, I couldn't let happen, for obvious reasons.

I have to admit, despite her being the main reason for staying here, the other inhabitants slowly started to grow on me. They aren't stupid or naive, just blind to the outside world. Pharaoh Cassiopeia was carrying a grudge against humans that she had refused to explain to me and Fatima... well I didn't exactly make a great first impression but... I felt like she started to warm up to me as well. At least a little bit.

I owed these people. I tried to steal from them and they could've easily disposed of me if they wanted to, so the very least I could do was help them regain their kingdom's foothold in this, for them, unfamiliar world.

"Alright everybody, here's the situation. We need to assemble what remains of the Pharaoh's troops, mummies, sphinxes whatever is left. The village lies southeast of here and not too far off either. We need to avoid detection by the village guards while simultaneously making sure to make the villagers aware of our existence. A lot of them will be willing to join us, even if just to get away from the working conditions under the new king, but we'll have to be stealthy about it. We'll have to work smart. Use traps, ambushes and inconspicuous surveillance. Catching them off guard might give us an advantage in case their first reaction is alerting others and then we can still try to talk them down. It's best to do it at night for now. Less people, less visibility, bigger chance of getting in and out quickly and quietly."

My words carried throughout the throne room as the remaining forces of the Pharaoh had gathered around me. Pharaoh Cassiopeia, Fatima and Karima as well as an assortment of different mamono listened to my strategy. Some paying attention, others much less so, clearly bothered by the mere fact of me being the one talking to them.

Muttering erupted from the assembly of monsters, glancing at me with bewilderment and uncertainty. It was obvious where the distrust was coming from. In their eyes I was already an established menace and they hadn't listened to a human speak for many years beforehand. I was an outsider and the only way to make them remotely trust me, was to level with them.

"Look, I know, I know way too well. I tried to harm your people more than I could ever repay you for. I know what and who I am and I know you don't trust me. Whether we like it or not, I'm a part of your kingdom now, and I am going to earn my keep whatever it takes. And if we do not pull this heist off, this kingdom is going to keep being just a sunken temple in the sand. It's your choice whether you believe it or not, but neither you nor I want that to happen." I glanced over at Fatima, standing next to the Queen's throne with a stiff posture, keeping a straight face as she tried her hardest to look dignified. Once her eyes met mine though, she broke into a cute little smile and gingerly waved down at me until she got shot down by her sister's cold, sideways glance from the other side of the throne.

I felt a warmth in my heart that I had been missing for the majority of my life and it once again bolstered my confidence. There were good people here who didn't deserve to fall along with their kingdom and even more of them in the city who deserved a better life than slaving away under an uncaring king. There was no arguing it, this needed to happen.

"This plan is as tight as I can make it. The rest is up to you. If we pull it off by the book, you will once again be strong with a population WORTHY of a kingdom. The Cassiopeia empire will rise from the sand and everything for miles will belong to US! So tell me, are you ready to give it your all for your pharaoh?!" I raised my fist with the throne room erupting in cheers.

As monsters swarm out of the temple into the dark of the night, a growing silence filled the room and with the rousing air still lingering, I steady myself on the side of a sarcophagus as the tension leaves my body.

Almost immediately, I feel a pair of energetic arms throwing themselves around my neck from behind and a petite body cuddling up against me. "You did it! We actually might have a chance to thrive now thanks to you! Did you see, Fatima? Shaiq was so cool!"

"I was wondering how long you'd hold back, Karima." I chuckled, petting her soft, little head as I turn around. "I did the best I could. Other than giving them orders like this, I'm afraid they're on their own out there."

"You shouldn't downplay your role in this time of change, human. You have given them more hope and fervor than they've shown in the last few decades. Quite admirable for someone such as you." Cassiopeia

"Ah, I guess. But I can't promise any great results. I've never launched an operation this big before. What happens now is out of my hands. All that's left for us is putting our trust in your people and hoping they don't screw things up out there."

"I see you still haven't learned to properly address our Pharaoh. Guess you really can't teach an old dog new tricks." Fatima let out in an exasperated sigh, crossing her arms.

"And I see you still haven't taken that stick out of your butt. Seems we're all having a hard time changing here." I responded with an admittedly cocky smirk.

"I swear sometimes I could just..."

"Enough, you two! No need to cause such a stir in my throne room. Fatima, maybe some... frivolity is necessary in times like these to raise our empire's spirits again. But Shaiq, do not take your presence here for granted. This is your home now as well and I ask you not to forget that. Everyone here, including Fatima and I are one of your people now and as such, you have certain obligations to them. And respect is the first of those."

At this point Fatima, having stayed silent the whole time, spoke up in my stead. "He does respect us! He promised me that he would adhere to you and your people. I will... I will vouch for him!"

"Karima..." I felt a tug at my heartstrings as she wholeheartedly defended me. Petting her head as I walked past her I sighed, addressing the others. "With all due respect, your highness, I did promise I would do my part in rebuilding this empire and I plan to keep that promise. I will assist you in any way I can and I will never try to endanger your people... but I will not ditch one dictatorship to join another. I'm agreeing to partnership, not subservience."

Both looked at each other and then back at me with conflicted looks. "So how do you suppose we can tell whether you keep loyal to us?"

"Trust me."

"Pff, that's rich." Fatima scoffed, rolling her eyes. Quickly flinching after the Pharaoh threw her a disapproving sideways glance at the undignified comment.

"That's indeed quite a bit of an ask, Shaiq. Given your record, there's no guarantee for any of us that you're not lying. You are a useful asset and I would hate to lose you at such a critical point. But if not for curses, submission or force... what holds you here?"

I cross my arms in thought, knowing that she has ample reason to doubt me and that I have little proof of my conviction. "I'm afraid it's what a partnership entails. I know what I'm saying is true, but you never will. I know where my loyalties lie but you can never be certain about it. I want to stay here. I want to see this kingdom flourish again and we can only do that if you believe that that's my goal."

I see her face twist in conflict, her eyes narrowing more and more in frustration that even she doesn't know what to think of this alliance. "Words hold so little meaning to me these days. So be it, I will accept your independence for now, mortal. Your actions from here on out will decide on whether it remains intact." Her eyes turned to Fatima, immediately grabbing her utmost attention, reflexively making her bow to receive orders. "Fatima, our kingdom is more vulnerable than ever. We need eyes on the outside, both to receive our returning forces as well as enemies. Stand guard at the tomb entrance... and take Shaiq along with you!"

"WHAT?" "What?"

We both answered, dropping all formalities we tried to maintain. Me more out of mild surprise while Fatima reacted with utter shock.

"You can't send me out there with him?! What if he flees, or attacks me or..."

As Cassiopeia already turns to leave, she waves over her shoulder and nonchalantly responds "I trust you will be very much capable of dealing with him, Fatima. Come, Karima, we have to set up accommodations for the new arrivals."

"But... your highness!" Karima protested, holding on to me, looking back and forth between me and the Pharaoh, reluctant to let go.

"They'll do just fine on their own, Karima. I'm certain of it. I'll need your help elsewhere, so come along now." She insisted in a gentle yet commanding tone.

Karima's ears flopped down dejectedly but before letting me go, Karima swiftly got onto her toes and pecked me on the lips. "I'll check on you later if I can. Please behave yourself, will you?" She pleaded cutely.

I smirked as I leaned down to kiss her back. "Don't I always? Now go before you get in trouble." I sent her off, squeezing her slim body one more time before letting her go.

She walked backwards, almost stumbling over her own paws, shooting me a small smile and then running off after Cassiopeia.

It was only me and Fatima left now, the latter of which glaring daggers at me and curtly uttering orders. "I'm not allowed to use curses on you, so just... just come along and don't cause trouble, mortal!" She sighed, clearly frustrated at being denied having more of an upper hand on me. Not looking me in the eye even once, she headed up the stairs to the surface with me shortly following behind.

On the surface, I quickly started to feel the cold breeze of the night on my skin, giving me goosebumps from the quick shift in temperature. The moon was brightly lighting up the dunes upon dunes of sand around us along with the few landmarks on the horizon like my home town and a scant few oases here and there. Once outside, I leaned against the temple's entrance, crossing my legs and arms. "So... just you and me on guard duty, huh? Wanna cast a few spells on me now that the Pharaoh isn't looking? Heh, maybe I can go looking for a chewing toy for you. What do you say?" I chuckled a little, casually peering over the surrounding area.

Unconcerned by my provocations, she scouted the area and responded while not even looking at me. "If by 'looking for it' you mean stealing it, no matter how well-versed you may be at that, then no thank you. Besides, you are not leaving this post. We have a task to complete." She sighed. "This is normally a Sphinx's job. I don't feel comfortable out here. This damn sand is coarse, rough, irritating and it gets everywhere."

I got curious. "You've... never been out here?"

"No need to eat, no need for sleep and it's harder to be discovered if you're not running around outside."

"Huh, deja vu. So you don't know what's out there either... I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in such a small bubble. Karima was almost just as clueless. It's kinda sad."

"And what matter is that to you?" Suddenly, Fatima snapped at me. "Why does it concern you that we lived among ourselves. That we followed a leader who knew what's best for us? Cassiopeia is a just ruler! A noble! A wise leader that never did us wrong. Why can't you see that? Why can't you just listen to her? You don't obey orders, you don't show respect to her authority, even more than that, you insult her with theft and..."

"Attempted theft." I pointed out.

"I... uuuuUUUURRRRRGHHHHH!" She threw her staff to the ground in frustration. "I don't understand! How can you be this way? You don't listen to anybody, you disobey your superiors and you act like you being here is the most natural thing in the world. How? How do you not see how phenomenally privileged you are to be working with the Pharaoh? I work day and night with pride, just being able to be near her! And you take that position and don't show even a fraction of respect!"

Something about her tone set me off in a way I had been holding in for a long time. She just didn't get it. "I never said I didn't respect her. Of course I do!"

"Then why do you not submit to her? Why do you refuse to be one of her subjects? Tell me!"

"You can respect someone without bending over backwards and pledging your life to them! I am myself and I have my own free will. If she wants me as an ally, the trust has to come from both sides."

"How do we know you won't run away and expose us if we don't reign you in? The first opportunity you get, you might steal again once we're not looking. What about my sister? Do you want to use her too?"

"I wouldn't! How do I know that you won't put a curse on me while I sleep? How do I know you won't turn me into an undead and tie me to the tomb to make me more obedient? I know you can do that after all!"

Her fists were shaking. "We... we wouldn't do that..."

"So you say. Guess we're at a stalemate then, aren't we?" In an exasperated tone, I sighed and rubbed the back of my head as I turned away from her.

As I did, I heard her weak, choked-up voice from behind. "I just don't want my people to suffer anymore..."

The image I saw when I turned around was the last thing I was expecting. Tears were rolling down Fatima's face. "None of them... I don't want you to hurt anyone of them anymore. I don't want you to break my sister's heart. I don't want you to take from us more than we've already lost. Every time your people come along and steal our artifacts, we get weaker and weaker and I'm scared. I'm scared this is all we'll ever be." She limply pointed at the buried tomb. "A broken ruin with inhabitants who have to shut themselves in, in order to not get hurt by the outside world. This is the first time after a long while that they have hope this won't last forever and that hope is built on you, Shaiq... I can't afford for you to take it from them again if there's even the slightest chance. I just... can't."

She wiped the tears from her cheeks, putting on her serious look again and picking up the staff she had unceremoniously dropped before.

"Fatima..." I tried to reach out to her, but she wouldn't let me and simply turned away.

Over her shoulder, she weakly requested "I'm going to survey the dunes for trespassers. Could you keep an eye on the entrance? Not that you'd feel any obligation to." She walked away, her ears slumped and her tail dragging behind in the sand. She tried to maintain a dignified aura, but the dejection was visible clear as day.

My hand sunk down. There was nothing I could say to her now. I resigned myself to following her instructions and once again leaned against the tombs entrance. The back of my head fell against the stone with my gaze lifting towards the night sky.

"Shit..." I cursed to myself. It must've been painful. Millennia of your friends and allies crumble into obscurity, people pillaging your wealth and your leader being hurt and burnt by outsiders over and over. It would be even harder to convince someone like that to ally with one of the very people who screwed you over a multitude of times.

I admit it, I was stubborn. I've fought so long for my independence, defying my old superiors and doing everything in my power to piss off everyone who wanted to rule over my life. Did I become too cynical myself? Cassiopeia, Fatima, Karima... they're good people. People who might be able to unite the desert lands under one banner some day.

I gazed at the stars, the horizon skyline and the remains of the ruins splayed around the tomb's exterior. I thought to myself. "We can rebuild this. Maybe this is the chance to for once in my life help build up something worthwhile. If this works I could..."

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of crunching sand. Footsteps. 3 separate ones from the sound of it. I cautiously put my hand on a blackjack inside my pocket and got into a straight standing position. This clearly was not the direction Fatima went. That was the direction my home town was in. The troops couldn't have been back already, it's barely been an hour.

I heard laughing and a somewhat familiar voice "Pffhahhaahaa... I shit you not. She asked me for a tip and I told her I got a real good tip for her right here! I swear these fucking tavern maids get greedier every day. What do they think? They're the only ones with money problems? Come the fuck on."

A multitude of "Oh fuck... no" thoughts crossed my mind. I knew who that voice belonged to and as the party crested over the dune, that old familiar mug came into view. It was an old colleague of mine. A mercenary called Divish accompanied by two others I didn't know. Probably associates or clients of his.

The man was a handsome guy. Buzzcut, 5 o'clock shadow and several, but somehow fitting scars across his face. All of that didn't matter though since he was dirty, unwashed and smelled of booze from a mile away. He was dressed in attire similar to mine, light, well-worn and practical. Playing around with a dagger that he twirled around in his hand he was talking to the other 2, much more formally dressed men.

Said guys, or more appropriately boys, were much younger than him or me, somewhere in their late teenage years at most. They looked similar to each other, almost identical even. They had black, gelled up hair, they barely had a few patches of facial hair on them and even from first looks I could tell they were of higher nobility. Adorned with golden rings, braces, necklaces and earrings.

I closed my eyes and exhaled through my nose, knowing what a shitty situation I was gonna ride into. It was too late to hide now and there it was. "Hold up, boys! Shaiq? Shaiq Alamar? What in the three hells are you doing out here lad?! HAAAAHHAAA! I haven't seen you in ages!" He busted out loudly and excitedly approached me.

I reluctantly walked towards him and expected the thing he always did.

"Come here, buddy!" Yep there it was. A bear hug that almost crushed my lungs.

"Nice... to... see you... too." I wrung out, struggling to get out of his death grip. I dusted myself off and forced a very unconvincing smile. If he'd been a bit brighter he might've realized it was put on. To my luck, he was not.

"What is this nonsense? What is this peasant doing out here in the desert and why are we acknowledging him?" One of the younger nobles asked, catching up to Divish and me.

Divish turned with a smirk and pulled me to his side proudly. "This here is Shaiq Alamar. One of the finest grave robbers there have ever been. I've pulled off a few heists with him back in the day? You could swear this guy could actually smell the musty scent of a tomb even against the wind."

"And why should that concern us? He's not what we're here for and we are losing precious time. If we don't hurry we won't be done before sunrise." The other of the two nobles complained.

I once again got out of Divish's firm grasp and straightened myself up again. "See you've got yourself some nice company there. What's the job this time? Scavenging? Treasure hunting? Passage through the desert?"