All Comments on 'More than Life Itself'

by Thomas_Malory

Sort by:
  • 50 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Yeah... I’m gonna need a better explanation of that bit after “Afterwards”.

Steve’s husband? Was the joke that this was a misunderstanding? Completely unclear.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
HOLY CRAP MONKIES!

Two stories in two days and both depressing as hell! This one was a mess. How did he stick "a discarded pair of pants" into her mouth? Was she an enormous woman and did she have a giant mouth? Or were they small pants (more probably panties)? Then he kills Steve, shoots himself and leaves the cheating slut alive? How fucked up is that? He pays the ultimate price because his wife can't keep her legs together? No one is worth that and I hate that you made him a suicide. Then you had Steve's husband cradle his head. If Steve's gay why is he fucking Yvette? You need an editor. Or at least do a better job of proof reading this nonsense. Try again. This failed miserably.

1 star

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Dear Anon

Yes, it was a misunderstanding. Yvette was using Steve as her "queer eye for great lingeree". She had been hiding her texts to keep Mike's party a surprise. She never considered that Mike could be jealous of her gay friend Steve. For one of the very few times in LW it really was "NOT WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Darune

Lol loved it keep it up

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

GARBAGE 1*

SwordWielderSwordWielderabout 5 years ago
Didn't quite make it

I think you were trying to have a surprise party that was interpreted wrong, but you really didn't get there.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 5 years ago
This new author is kind of an idiot

His stories dont make much sense... see Forevermore

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Thoughts

Yes, saw it coming, that they were planning a surprise. I also thought that Steve was gay. Yes, Anonymous, Steve's husband, because he was gay, yes, it was a misunderstanding, and it was QUITE clear!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
For those who don't get it

Steve was a gay man and a party organizer Yvette hired to set up Mike's surprise 50th Birthday Party before taking him (Mike) to the beach for a sexy vacation trip. This, indeed, was not what it looked like.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Allways make sure 110%

So Steve was gay and the beach holiday was his 50th birthday present, only confusion in husbands head......verify verify verify

JJ

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Hallo Mr. Malory

they are a bad author.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
anon 3/17/19

You are the joke! My goodness, go back to comic books. As far as the story, how stupid can wives be?

HikingThruHikingThruabout 5 years ago
one nit...

I got it, but would/should a woman ask a gay man to help select a woman's lingerie? He should have zero experience or interest, no? Still, a different take on "it's not how it looks."

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 5 years ago
I liked it, very sad

Nice twist.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

LOL. He killed a flag.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
Sad tail.

The mind can play tricks, work on a person, and create a self-perpetuating fiction. I haven't been there, but I do get it.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 5 years ago
Dark.

I picked up on it quickly and it is definitely a dark tale.

His outraged response is very plausible. Crimes of passion are very real.

I do have to wonder at the wisdom of a wife behaving that way with any man, homosexual or not, and why it never occurred to her just how bad her behavior would be viewed by anyone not in the know.

Good but terrible story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I liked it.

Keep writing

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 5 years ago
Different--Very Different!

An excellent story with a few mistakes. Ex: He found text from Mike, but according to Yvette's "Oh God, Mike, its not what it looks like." he is Mike, so who is she sending the sexy pictures to--the gay guy?

I gave you a 4!

pugetmanpugetmanabout 5 years ago
Presumably meant “Steve’s wife” or else ...

... there’s a lot more to the story that we don’t know. Nice final scene though — well-wishers bursting in on what they thought was a surprise party, but finding a love triangle/murder suicde instead.

Yvette might have a hard time living this down.

etchiboyetchiboyabout 5 years ago
Two thumbs up

Or, rather — 5-stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
too confusing

A little more info would dispel the feeling of "Am I missing something?" that any NORMAL reader may encounter.

Smokepole

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
I didn't

I didn't catch it until the end. I have not seen anything like this before in LW, and I can appreciate your twisted imagination. It really wasn't what it looked like. Who whouda thunk it. Great job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
THERE YOU GO....

So this is more like a homage to Edgar A. Poe than that "Forevermore" crap story Thomas.

Much better 🎭 dramatic action and horror at the irredeemable error of his actions.

Good job Thomas _Mallory.

AMerryman

P. S. You probably should drop this nomdeplume because you really attract a lot of critics when your writing can't carry the weight. Just a thought 😉

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Dark

I'm not much of a fan of killing, let alone oneself.

This is really a pretty dark story.

T.T.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
No Pugetman...

Steve was gay and married. Yvette was planning a party and vacation with her hubby not her gay friend. Duh.

Thomas_MaloryThomas_Maloryabout 5 years agoAuthor
Thank you thecarolinadreamer

thecarolinadreamer is right! I'm very new to this. Does anyone know how to make a correction?

"They are a bad author" - who?

Sorry about the "Nome de plume" - blame my parents.

Harryin VA - I wish my stories were as good as yours

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Miscommunication and lack of communication are lazy plot devices. Poe? Not even close!

Oh, if he had just let her explain. Oh, if she hadn't changed her phone password. Oh, if the wife had just started shouting her explanation when he burst into the room and began beating her supposed lover. His life and future for a few words, miscommunicated, or left unspoken. Oh, what a shame.

At least there won't be much brains to clean off the ceiling.

You have great potential. I hope you develop it.

A_BierceA_Bierceabout 5 years ago
Upon third reading, first two confirmed

This is brilliant, a perfect response to the "It's not what it looks like" trope and BTB zealots.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Looked like a duck

Quacked like a duck.

Sadly, Mike fupped duck. 😉

Jetcrash747Jetcrash747about 5 years ago
A very confusing story.

This tale had a great plot, but the most glaring statement is: 'OK - since you've already seen me naked' the whore had sent a selfie in front of the mirror wearing just a red bra and pants. I'd seen enough, I'll teach the cheating bitch! When did the wife pose naked in the story? Was this just a deranged husband jumping to conclusions from his wife's photo in front of the mirror. it needs a rewrite to be any good.

NVDiceGuyNVDiceGuyabout 5 years ago
So if I reread

It’s entirely possible the guy was gay and helping her look better for her husband......

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
@NVDiceGuy

So if I reread correctly,

you’re a rocket scientist?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

Nice story with a twist- however, some guys are bi-sexual and the wife shouldn't be undressing and showing off in front of men in the bedroom without your knowledge. Also wouldn't he have to pre-plan some time off work to leave the next day with her? And who has a party with a late night and clean-up, expecting a morning flight? Story doesn't fully work as presented. I guess the other guy was a party planner/ travel guide/ bra salesman. Unusual but deadly combination apparently.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Part 2?

Could we see a point of view from Yvette's side and the aftermath of the murder/suicide disaster?

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 4 years ago
I read it again...

...and it is still top shelf. You know, gay or not, I don't get the whole "My gay friend gets to see me naked." thing. I mean, maybe he doesn't want any of it, but it still isn't right. I can understand the husband getting the wrong idea.

gingerhuntergingerhunterover 3 years ago
There's more to this story

What happened when Mike learned he had killed his truly loving and faithful wife?

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Clever. Bloody clever.

This is a great story revealing how many of the "readers" have no reading comprehension!

HarryVA blames the author because HarryVA can't understand a clearly written story.

pugetman thought the author meant Steve's wife.

gingerhunter asks -- What happened when Mike learned he had killed his truly loving and faithful wife?

Duh.

26thNC26thNCabout 3 years ago

I had forgotten this little gem. That really was a surprise for everyone.

MightyheartMightyheartalmost 3 years ago

Nice twists but 5he end is too dark for a misunderstanding tale

QuintiusQuintiusalmost 3 years ago
This reminds me...

... of an old episode from the show Tales From the Crypt called, "Three's a Crowd". Same sort of premise, turned out at the very end the wife wasn't having an affair, she was planning a surprise party. The MC killed his wife in that, though. Still, interesting concept and the way his emotions were portrayed were well done. Good job.

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementeover 2 years ago

A great, but, evil story.

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

Neat final twist; you don't need to say any more. Thank you.

iammweaseliammweaselover 1 year ago

Sorry but I saw that coming a mile away. Theres a couple others along the same line so this was pretty clear.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Steve's husband and fellow party organizer ran to his side, cradled his head and sobbed. What does this line even mean?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Is the one anonymous asking about the last line really that fucking stupid?

And not even gay men should be in a wife's bedroom with her half naked. Stupid bastard! Stupid bitch!

James G 5James G 5about 1 year ago

Surprise parties & April Fools jokes are bad ideas.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

First read, I thought she was leaving her husband. then having read another comment, I realized she was planning a trip with her husband and the so-called lover was helping her....

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

For some clueless commenters, last line shows Steve was gay. The husband read to many LW BTB stories that rotted his mind and instead of confrontation to clear the air, he killed Steve and committed suicide. Yvette will never be the same. Feel sad for her. Not the MC as he was a maniac. Why is this not rated higher?

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

It felt too forced. He'd really murder the guy and then kill himself without letting them get any word in? That's just too convenient not to mention stupid. Good try though.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous