Mother Road Ch. 04 - Journey's End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Olivia, now 8 months pregnant, was absolutely radiant in her white strapless maternity wedding dress, covered from top to bottom with lace and cinched just above her baby bump with a thick white ribbon. Poor Laura, now in the grip of pregnancy hormones, was having a hard time containing herself.

Ava's wedding was all joy, Liam's wedding a celebration, but this was Olivia. Laura's first baby was getting married and expecting her own baby on top of that. I was afraid by the end of the ceremony Laura would be dehydrated from all the tears; I regretted not grabbing a canteen from the camping supplies in the motorhome for her.

The big church was beautiful; unlike our tiny old barn, the big building was filled with stained glass, light, and music. As the ceremony started, I felt my senses being overloaded.

When the time came for me to give Olivia away, before kissing her cheek and handing her over to her new husband I whispered, "I got my wish." When I was about to propose to Laura 7 years ago, I'd proposed to Olivia first, saying I wanted to adopt her and be her real dad, not her stepdad. I hoped and wished that one day I'd be lucky enough to give her away at her wedding. Today, my wish was granted.

She nodded, her eyes brimming with tears as well. She whispered, "I love you, Daddy." Thirty minutes later, our little girl was a married woman, starting her own family's story. Not for the first time, I felt old.

The reception was a grand affair, a huge ballroom with a live band, open bar, the works. As a guest at most weddings, the bride and groom's first dance is not really a big deal. At my daughter's wedding, it was mind-blowing. This was not dancing at a prom with some loser, this was not a dance recital, it was my little girl, a real married woman, dancing with her real husband. The second song, Olivia and I danced, alongside Brad and his mother Hope. The third song, Laura and I finally danced a nice slow dance.

"I missed you," I told her, "it feels good to have my beautiful wife in my arms again."

"I love you, Tom," she said, "I don't know what I would do without you." She pressed her face into my chest, crying a little. "Promise me you won't ever leave me." I knew where this was coming from. She was pregnant in her first trimester and Olivia, her emotional support through every pregnancy and all the rough times, was gone.

I tried to assure her, "Laura McFarland, I promise that I will never leave you. I was crazy about you from the first moment I saw you. I remember everything; your hair tied up in a frazzled bun, you being covered in baby food splatters from trying to feed Lucas, the freckles on your cute nose, and those eyes of yours, oh my. One look at them and I was a goner. Five minutes after I walked in the door, I was ready to propose. I loved you then, and I love you now."

Wiping away her tears, she looked up at me and kissed me lightly. "How is it, my husband, that you always know the right thing to say?"

I chuckled, "Inspired by the love of a good woman, I guess." The music ended, and we sat down at the parents' table with Archer and Hope.

The reception hall suddenly went deathly quiet. I looked up and a giant of a man in a black suit was standing in front of me: Mr. Green! Speaking very formally, he intoned, "Don McFarland, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your daughter's wedding. And I hope their first child be a masculine child. To you I pledge my never-ending loyalty."

Saying that, he handed me an envelope. In his chair next to me, Archer had turned white as a sheet. At the head table, I think I saw my new son-in-law try to shrink in his seat as well. I began laughing.

"Mr. Green! Great to see you! Mr. Bartolo put you up to this, didn't he?" Mr. Green cracked a smile and nodded. I turned to Archer and said, "Archer, it's our friend Mr. Green! Remember him?" Archer looked like he was about to be seasick, so I quickly explained, "Mr. Green's boss absolutely loves gangster movies, so he sent Mr. Green today - it's the Luca Brasi wedding scene from 'The Godfather'! I LOVE this!"

Mr. Green held up an index finger. "Actually, Mr. McFarland, my real name is Walter Connor."

Since I was well on my way to being drunk, I threw my arm around Walter, or at least tried, to give him a hug. (To be fair, his shoulders were HUGE!) "Well, today is indeed a great day, Walter, and please call me Tom!" Then I shouted at the waiter, "A glass of champagne for my friend Walter!" Turning to the crowd, I called out, "Everybody raise a glass to a great man, my friend Walter!"

Several glasses went up. "To Walter," they cried!

Laura opened the big envelope and tipped it up; a car title and two sets of keys fell out. "Excuse me, Mr. Connor, what's this?"

"Oh, that's a gift to the bride and groom from Mr. Bartolo. It's a brand-new minivan, parked right outside. There's a card inside, too."

Laura shook the big envelope again, and a hand-written note fell out. She read it aloud, "Congratulations to the happy couple, Mr. and Mrs. Brad Maddox. I regret I am unable to attend in person; I trust Mr. Connor will represent me honorably. Please accept this gift as a sign of my affection for your family. I think it will do a better job for your new family than a Corvette."

Archer and I looked at each other, and burst out laughing like we did the day the kids reunited; the rest of the place joined in. All except for Brad, who still looked a little sheepish. A kiss from his laughing bride set him right again.

++++++++++++++++++++

JUNE - Olivia's Baby

We got the call at 3am from Olivia's father-in-law, Archer. Our oldest had given birth to our grandson, Archer Thomas Maddox, 7 pounds, 10 ounces, named after his two grandfathers. Archer was over the moon when he spoke with me.

"Tom, our grandson is beautiful. Brad is fit to burst from pride, I swear. And Olivia is a wonderful mother; Hope and I both adore her - I couldn't have asked for a sweeter daughter-in-law. I've booked a hotel room for you and Laura, come on down and see your daughter and your grandson!"

Wow. First Hunter, now Archer; Laura and I were grandparents twice over now, with one more grandchild coming and a baby of our own on the way. I guess you could say the pendulum of that baby fever I'd had so long ago had swung totally in the opposite direction.

++++++++++++++++++++

JULY - Vow Renewal and Babymoon; A New Baby For Liam; Laura Picks A Name

The day we renewed our vows, it was a real scorcher; the patio heaters in the old barn had been replaced by 30 inch drum fans to circulate the air.

Minister Barksdale stood at the front of the barn; I stood before her, awaiting the arrival of my bride. Brad was there in the second row, holding my grandson Archie. Brad's parents, Hope and Archer were next to him. I was wearing the suit I'd been married in seven years ago; kind of snug now, but it still fit. The first two chairs in the front row were reserved for Olivia and Ava, Laura's attendants today.

The remaining ten front row seats were occupied by Ashley, Liam and eight-months pregnant Miriam, Hunter, James and Melissa, Elijah, Amelia, Lucas and Pearl. There were three other rows, mostly empty but for the few neighbors and friends we'd invited. I was pleased to see Miriam's friends Leigh and Terry Hester had even made it down from Flagstaff to join us.

Finally, as sweat began to run down my forehead, Laura walked into the barn, flanked by Olivia and Ava carrying flowers. Back in February I'd made a lascivious request that when we renewed our vows, she'd wear the same green strapless tube top dress that she wore when I proposed. Her six-month baby bump, however, made that impossible.

Nonetheless, she'd made a good-faith effort - more like eye-popping effort, actually, wearing a floor-length bare-shouldered green maternity dress. It had kind of a mermaid style to it, clinging to her curves from bust to thigh and accentuating her pregnancy perfectly with the skirt being loose and billowy. No bun today; Laura's gorgeous shining red hair was down over her shoulders. As a bonus, she was wearing that hot red lipstick that had once stained my khakis. As if I wasn't hot enough already, that reminder almost melted my knees.

As Laura stepped up to my left side, Olivia and Amelia took their seats in the first two chairs of the front row. Laura took my hand, and that was Minister Barksdale's cue to begin.

Raising her hands up, Minister Barksdale announced, "Welcome everyone, to a celebration of love between these two special people I've come to admire and respect, Tom and Laura McFadden."

She then spoke to us, "Tom and Laura, it is a pleasure to share today's wonderful occasion with you. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your renewal ceremony."

Turning to our friends and family, she declared, "Many people believe that entering into marriage is the final step in a romantic relationship. A couple meets, fall in love, and then take the final step of marriage. But as Tom and Laura know, marriage is hardly the final step in a couple's relationship. Rather, it is the beginning of a grand adventure!"

She turned to us again, "You two have shared the joys, blessings and challenges of married life for seven years. Today you want to reconfirm your commitment and ensure your marriage will continue to blossom. May this renewing of your vows remind you and the treasured company here with us that in a marriage, despite the stresses inevitable in every life, your love and understanding of each other will continue to increase and heighten your joy in living."

She paused for a moment to allow her words to sink in, then continued, "Tom and Laura would now like to share their commitment, to each other and with you, their beloved guests."

Laura began, "Tom, on the night we met I was a sad and lonely single mother. Given my experience to that point, I had no interest in ever having another man in my life. Then, as if by magic you appeared, a sad wet puppy who my son Liam drug in out of the rain. I took pity on you, asking you in for a meal. My intent was simply for you to stay for supper. I fully expected you'd be on your way in the morning. Instead, you never left.

Much to my surprise you got my children to adore you, then you did the impossible; you got me to fall in love with you. Against my better judgment, you even convinced me to marry you. Seven years later, I'm convinced this was the best decision of my life.

You're my partner, my husband, my lover. Every day I wake up next to you I feel like the most desirable woman in the world. Every ounce of love I've ever given you, you've given back two. I want to affirm to you and to everyone here that I remain yours, body and soul, forever."

I kissed her hand, then made my affirmation, "Laura, nearly seven years ago I was a man adrift, literally traveling the backroads alone. You and your family welcomed me and made me feel part of you. It really was love the first time I saw your pretty face. You were, and continue to be, my idea of a perfect woman. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm lucky enough to be married to you." My eyes were getting blurry from tears. I stopped for a moment to recapture my composure.

"I still remember clearly the first time you kissed me in front of the children after a mall outing. That kiss was a pivotal moment. I knew without question my search was over. I wanted to marry you, wanted to turn your family into our family. When you agreed to marry me, it was a dream come true, one I never want to wake from.

Now here, in front of all our family and friends I am proud to say Laura, I love you more each day. You are the perfect wife and partner. I love and cherish you and each of our children, as well as the one yet to be born."

Both of us were crying now, fortunately Minister Barksdale stepped in. She turned to Laura.

"Laura, will you continue to have Tom as your husband and continue to live in this marriage?

She smiled at me as she said it, "I will."

"Do you reaffirm your love for Tom, and will you love, honor and cherish him in sickness and in health, and be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I do, and I will."

Minister Barksdale then turned to me, "Tom, will you continue to have Laura as your wife and continue to live in this marriage?"

"I will."

"Do you reaffirm your love for Laura, and will you love, honor and cherish her in sickness and in health, and be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do, and I will."

Minister Barksdale spoke now to both of us, "It is with pleasure that I conclude the ceremony of renewing the vows of marriage that joined you and binds you as husband and wife. Please celebrate this renewal of vows with a kiss."

I didn't need to be told twice. Neither did Laura. We kissed while our guests applauded. That kiss was so hot, I suspect Minister Barksdale and the folks in the front row got sunburn. (Sorry, kids!)

After the ceremony, we all gathered under the huge elm tree where picnic tables had been set up in the shade for cake, ice cream and lemonade. The kids were running around, playing tag, and having a great time.

Archer Maddox walked up to me and shook my hand, "Tom, congratulations! That was a wonderful ceremony. Thanks so much for inviting us."

"Archer, I'm glad you and Hope could make it. Olivia is a happy woman. I appreciate how Brad, Hope and you are taking care of her."

"How could I not? She's a real love, plus she's given Hope and me our perfect grandson. We think the world of her." Archer hesitated, then continued, "Hey, uh, speaking of the kids, they were telling me about that cabin you use as an office."

"What about it?"

Archer glanced over his shoulder at his wife Hope, who was talking and laughing with Laura. Hope was under 5' tall with the stature of a wood nymph. She was such a sweetheart that Laura and Hope bonded instantly when they finally met. "I understand it's kind of a special place for, um, getting busy."

I threw back my head and laughed, trying not to laugh too loudly. "You old dog, you," I chuckled. "You want to get busy with Hope in the middle of the afternoon?"

"Shhhhh," he cautioned, "you know how things go, you go to a wedding and the hormones get a little agitated, you know?"

"I sure do pardner," I chuckled. "Go ahead and give Hope the tour, but make sure you lock the door and close the drapes. When I'm not working, the younger kids run in and out all the time."

He clapped me on the shoulder, "Thanks, Tom, you're the best!"

"Oh, one more thing," I added, "not to get too personal, but how old is Hope? Is her baby factory shut down or is it still operational?"

"Well, I think she's still on the pill, now that you mention it."

"Well, just be warned, getting naked in the cabin can produce unexpected results, like my daughter Pearl, you follow my meaning?" Now it was my turn to clap Archer on the shoulder, "Go get her, Lothario!"

I went to get my lemonade refilled and saw my lovely wife. Hope was not with her. I walked up and embraced her from behind, kissing the top of her head.

"Sorry, loser, maybe you missed the ceremony, but I've just renewed my vows to be faithful to my husband forever, so whoever you are, you're out of luck." I spun her around and gave her a short but passionate kiss on the lips, as prelude to a lot more when I got her upstairs and undressed.

I murmured, "Hey hot lips, where'd Hope go?"

She chuckled, "Archer just took her away to give her a 'tour of your office'. I see the curtains are pulled shut now."

I opened my wallet and took out a $5 bill, "Five bucks says he valiantly tries to get her pregnant and fails."

Laura snatched the bill from my hand, "I'll take your sucker's bet, husband. I got inside information that Hope is off birth control pills; they were making her dizzy and raising her blood pressure. Plus, she's only 43. The way she was talking, maybe after all these years she might give her son a sibling."

++++++++++

Although Laura's pregnancy was technically classified as high-risk, since this was the last month of her second trimester her ob-gyn gave her the green light to fly to Hawaii. We were on our combination honeymoon/babymoon.

The week before we left, she'd had an ultrasound so now we knew there was a boy inside that baby bump. Laura told me on our flight that since he might be that last one, I had no choice in choosing his name. She'd already named him: Thomas Winston McFarland Junior. That was that. So, for our babymoon I had only one objective in mind: to spoil the shit out of my wife. Well, OK, two objectives if you counted fucking her brains out as well.

When we first got married we'd stayed for a few nights alone at a nice hotel in Oklahoma City, but that was the extent of our honeymoon. With kids to raise and bills to pay, we were too busy to travel. Today, that changed. One direct flight from Will Rogers International to Honolulu, a quick rental car trip up the coast to Kapolei, and we were at our resort.

As I'd threatened back in February, I bought Laura a microkini. A shiny metallic blue, it barely covered her nipples and vagina and really showcased her enlarged breasts and that sexy baby bump. She tried it on for me that first day. She never made it down to the beach because it looked so hot, I immediately had to fuck it off of her.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to pack a bikini for her that managed to show off her boobs and beautiful bump without giving me an instant erection; later that day I was able to get my trophy wife down to the beach. As lusty as I was, her modesty prevailed. She wore a crocheted poncho cover-up over her bikini.

During our week at the resort we had a relaxing couple's massage, pedicures and even manicures. I was her doting husband, pulling her chair out for her at dinner, fetching her lemon-infused water, bringing her virgin daquiris, buying her any bit of clothing she found desirable and anything else I could think of to pamper this woman I loved.

Every evening I took the opportunity to rub her body down with coconut oil. While a women's magazine might describe the results as "significantly increased levels of intimacy", I'll just say the sex was off the charts. Waaaaay off.

Too soon our week was up, and we were on our way back home. We'd been home for two days when Liam called. Miriam was in labor. It was a fast labor. Liam told us her contractions were very close together and intense, with almost no recovery time in between.

By the time we got to the hospital, James Thomas McFarland (named after Liam's brother and me, respectively) had been born, 7 pounds, 12 ounces. Since Liam had adopted Hunter, that now evened the score: 5 boy children and grandchildren with the McFarland name, and 5 girl children, counting Ashley. My dream of a big family was really coming true!

Every evening when we went to bed, I kissed Laura's belly and whispered goodnight to Thomas Junior, (now dubbed TJ). I couldn't wait to meet him, saying a silent prayer of thanks for all my children and for the washed-out bridge that led me to them.

++++++++++++++++++++

AUGUST - James and Melissa's Wedding; Tom and Laura Misbehave

If July was a scorcher of a month this year, August was a blast furnace. The old barn would be far too hot for holding a ceremony. Laura suggested they book a church or a hall. Given her bad experiences growing up in Wellston, there was no way Melissa wanted to get married in town.

Finally, she and Laura came to a compromise. Since it would be a small family wedding, we'd hold it in the first place that she and James ever met - our dining room. When we were first married, I'd remodeled and added rooms to the main house. While we did that it was a good time to have central air conditioning installed, so this made sense. The dining room would be nice and cool. If we took the table, chairs and sideboard out of the dining room it would be tight but manageable for the ceremony.