Mother Road Ch. 04 - Journey's End

Story Info
Multiple weddings, 3 births, & Tom saves the day for his ex.
12.5k words
4.81
15.7k
36

Part 4 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/28/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
NewOldGuy77
NewOldGuy77
880 Followers

Author's notes: This is the fourth installment of the continuing romance between a married couple, Tom and Laura. If you haven't read the first Mother Road, to fully understand Tom and Laura's relationship, you should. Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the story take place 6.5 years after the first Mother Road.

Thanks as always to my wonderful muse RiverMaya, to my editor/advisor Verbalinians, and my newest editing team member WindySwimming for volunteering their input and assistance on this one. With the 2nd story phase spanning 36,000 words, I needed all the help I could get!

• All sexual activity in this story is between consenting adults 18 and over.

• All characters and organizations named are purely fictional.

• NOTE: This story contains no incest.

++++++++++++++++++++

MARCH - Ava and Ashley's Wedding; An Ex Surprise

The barn had been whitewashed, the heaters set up, the chairs in place and Minister Barksdale was standing by. Ava came down the aisle first, wearing a white jumpsuit with lace around the shoulders and a big bowtie in the middle, a white jacket over her shoulders. Her Maid of Honor Olivia, now six months pregnant, followed in a pink three-piece pantsuit with an elegant, embroidered top, a jacket and wide-leg pants.

Ashley came up the aisle wearing a fairly traditional long white gown, but with a daring plunge neck in the front and an open back. Ashley's Maid of Honor Melissa wore a breathtaking navy blue outfit, gold-tone sequin patterns on top and a metallic blue floor-length skirt.

Their vows were simple. Ava started, "Ashley, ever since I've known you, you've inspired me to be a better person. Your unquestioning belief in me has allowed me to meet and exceed my potential. You believed in me and gave me strength even during the times I didn't believe in myself.

I love you for the gentle part of me that you bring out. I love you for pulling me back when I get too intense. I love you for trusting me to protect you when you feel vulnerable. My hand is in your hand, my heart is in your heart. Today, in front of our family and loved ones I promise to always love and defend you. Whatever challenges we face, we'll face them together."

As she finished our smart, tough, tenacious little girl now had tears of joy streaming down her freckled face; they perfectly matched the tears flowing down Laura's.

Doing her best to hold her tears in, Ashley said her vows, "Ava, ever since we met you've been my anchor, my protector, my rock. No matter how bad things got, you supported me and steadied me with your love. On this day, in front of our family and loved ones, I pledge my endless love and devotion to you. My hand is in your hand, my heart is in your heart. Wherever you lead, I will follow."

There was an exchange of rings, Minister Barksdale then spoke, "Ava and Ashley, your wedding day is filled with emotion, friends, promises, and hope.

Many people here will remember their own wedding day, and how fleeting it was. I ask you now to slow down and take pause; look now into each other's eyes: gently, easily, and softly. Think about the happiness that you're feeling in this place, in this moment. Promise each other that you will always remember this feeling. During your marriage, draw strength from it during tough times, and let it nourish you even more in times of joy.

And now, loving family and friends, by the authority vested in me, I happily present to you Ava and Ashley McFarland."

Laura was nearly incoherent through her happy tears; I put an arm around her and pulled her in and kissed her forehead. Minister Barksdale was right, I was certainly remembering our wedding in a little chapel in Edmond, Oklahoma. Laura was wearing a modest beige suit, I was dressed in a suit I'd purchased the week before at the mall.

Olivia and the Minister's wife were our witnesses. It was a quiet affair, aside from the noise the younger children made. Once the ceremony was over, it was Ava who first shouted, "Daddy" and ran to wrap her arms around me, the younger ones following in hot pursuit to do the same. It was Liam who first brought me home and it was Olivia who first made me feel like a father, but it was little Ava who welcomed me to the family. And now Ava was a married woman. Man, I felt old.

There was a small reception in the back of the barn afterwards, then Ava and Ashley went to a hotel in Oklahoma City to spend their first night as a married couple. I took Laura up to bed, where I held her as she cried her heart out. After her pregnant emotions had run their course, we made slow, gentle love.

++++++++++

The morning after the ceremony I did something I thought I'd never do again: I called my ex-wife Beverly. I had my cell on speakerphone to avoid any spousal conflicts with my pregnant-hormone-sensitive wife. Laura was with me in my home office, listening in and holding my hand. I had insisted on it.

Beverly picked up on the third ring. "Tom! Is it really you? Where are you calling me from?"

"Yes, it's me. I'm sorry to bother you. I'm calling from my home office just outside Oklahoma City."

"Oh, that's where you disappeared to? How have you been?"

"I'm still consulting, but after our divorce was finalized, I took a vacation. That's when I met Laura, so I moved from Chicago to be closer to her, and we eventually got married. You?" I realized I'd stretched the truth a bit. If I had told Beverly the truth, that I'd fallen in love less than a week after our divorce was finalized, this conversation would be over. I was making this call for Ava, after all.

"I'm still traveling a lot as well but haven't been as lucky finding someone. I don't have anyone I see regularly."

"I get that. Traveling is tough on relationships, as you and I learned. I stopped working for SustainArch and went independent recently because the travel kept me away from my family so much."

Beverly seemed surprised, "You have a family? With children?

"Yes, Laura had several children already when we married. I adopted them, then we had one of our own as well."

"If you don't mind asking, how many?"

"Eight right now. Laura's expecting again, due in late October."

"Wow, that's incredible, but I guess it makes sense, given what I found out about you. You wanted kids, but I didn't listen. I guess I should have, huh?" And there it was, ex-wife regret, which could be a dangerous thing. Laura's eyebrows raised, and not in a good way. It was time to defuse this situation, fast!

"Honestly, Beverly, I really love my children, but you have no idea how chaotic and messy they can be, especially the younger ones. You're a very meticulous woman, I can't ever see you wanting to live like that. But what did you mean, 'given what you found out'?" This was getting interesting.

"I know about all those weekends when you told me you were going to play softball with your friends, but instead you'd go sit and watch the families at Millennium Park." Wow, I'd been busted!

"You knew about that?"

"Yes, Tom, come on, your friends were nerds, not jocks, no way they'd play softball. I suspected you were cheating on me, so I hired a private detective to follow you. It came as quite a shock to me when I found out you weren't cheating, you just had baby fever."

I sighed, "Guilty as charged, I guess." Ok, THAT was embarrassing! Laura was smirking now. Time to refocus.

"Listen, Beverly, the reason I called today is my second-oldest daughter Ava recently got married and she's moving to your area to start school at the University of Illinois at Chicago - wants to get a degree in Architecture like her old man, can you believe that? She's a sweet kid, and so's her new wife."

I waited for a negative reaction - this was the Midwest, after all - but there was none, so I continued. "Of the few people I still know in Chicago, you're one I can trust. I remember how you were always such a good mentor to the new hires you worked with. I was hoping I could ask you to take my daughter under your wing, show her around the area a little bit. Get her acclimated and on the right path. Would you do that for me, for old time's sake?"

There was an extended uncomfortable silence. Laura squeezed my hand, a worried look on her face; I was uncertain how to read her expression. Then Beverly spoke up, "I have to say, Tom, I'm flattered. Your trusting me to help your daughter is a huge compliment. Thank you. Go ahead, give her my number, have her call me when she's coming."

I breathed a huge sigh of relief, "Thanks, Beverly, I appreciate it. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of Ava, she is without a doubt the smartest of all our kids and a real ball of energy, and her wife Ashley is really sweet. Laura and I love her to pieces. Thanks for taking care of our girls. You're the best."

"I'm sure I'll enjoy meeting them, Tom," she said, then paused briefly. "Make sure to tell your wife she's got a good man on her hands."

Laura was looking at me oddly after I hung up, then leaned over and kissed my hand. "Wow. So you had baby fever, got divorced, went on a road trip, took a detour and ended up with me and a house full of kids."

I laughed, "Yep. You were exactly what I needed, Laura McFarland," I said, placing my hand on her belly and giving her a kiss, "and you still are."

She looked over at the cabin's bed. "How much money is in your wallet?"

"I think I have $15, why?"

She climbed in my lap, wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled me in for a long passionate embrace. "Put your cash on the nightstand, lover. Since I'm already pregnant, I'm giving you a discount."

++++++++++++++++++++

APRIL - The McFarland Women Compare Notes; Liam and Miriam's Wedding

Miriam had no family members that would be attending her wedding, because the old barn had worked so well as Ava and Ashley's wedding venue, she told Liam she wanted to be married there as well. Liam being Liam, of course, if Miriam had told him she wanted her wedding in Death Valley on the hottest day of the year, he would have happily agreed. (We McFarland men love making our wives happy.)

Miriam's best friend from her Army days, Sgt. Leigh Hester, drove in to be Matron of Honor, along with her civilian husband Terry from Flagstaff, Arizona. Ironically, they avoided the Interstate and drove the 1400 miles on Route 66! (Yeah, that blew my mind, too!)

Two nights before the wedding, Miriam, Leigh, Olivia, Ava, Ashley, Melissa, and Laura had a girl's night out. Of course, it was Ava who immediately noticed Laura wasn't drinking and pressed her, forcing her mother to admit she was about two months pregnant. When Laura shared that with me, I imagined every glass window in the place cracking from the happy shrieks.

According to Laura, since she, Miriam and Olivia were pregnant and not drinking, the outing didn't get quite as crazy as the one that preceded Ava and Ashley's wedding. But Melissa alone was enough to fill the evening with raunchy humor.

Laura climbed into bed, naked. She knew I loved her in negligees from time to time. If I had my preference, I always preferred her yummy body fully nude.

"Tom, I hate to spill secrets out of school, but I have to share this. Melissa gave us a sex report card on James," she giggled. "Apparently his kisses get an A, his seduction skills are B, his breast play gets a B+, his, um, oral pleasuring skills get an A and his endurance gets an A+ with extra credit."

"Glad to hear he's got a little room for improvement," I commented, thinking that James would be horrified if he knew his fiancé was reporting to his mother on his sexual prowess. "Now he'll have something to work on after he gets married."

My wife wasn't done, "Miriam gave a report card on Liam as well," she continued, "Liam's kisses are A+, his seduction skills are B-, his breast play is A, his oral pleasuring skills are B+ and his endurance is A+."

I kissed Laura's soft lips, lingering a bit because let's face it my wife is the best kisser in the whole damned universe, then I jokingly answered, "I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked! What's with the low oral pleasuring skills? Does he need a tutor?"

"He's your son, Tom, I'm sure he'll put in the time and effort necessary to raise his grade," she murmured, "I mean, look at you. I'm sure it took you a few tries to become the champion that you are."

"What about Olivia? Any report on Brad?"

"Well, it's their first pregnancy so he's holding back a little out of fear he'll hurt her or the baby, but she's educating him that pregnant sex can be just as fun. Once she gets him going, she says he's quite passionate. His kisses are A+, his seduction skills are a C, but his breast play is an A+, his oral pleasuring skills were A- and his endurance is an A+."

"Was that the extent of the report cards?"

"Oh, no, Leigh told us after fifteen years being married that Terry's kisses were A+, but his seduction skills were down to a C, his breast play was an A, his oral pleasuring skills were A and his endurance was a B."

As I lay on my back, Laura slipped on top of me, so we were laying belly to belly. I could feel my cock start to harden between us. "Do you want to know what grades I told them were on your report card?" She wiggled her pelvis against my cock, making it impossible to refuse her.

"I don't believe I have a choice, my love," I answered, rising lust creeping into my tone. Reaching down, I gently caressed her ass.

She kissed me, saying, "Kisses, A+", then kissed me again, "seduction skills A+," adding another kiss, "breast play A+," kissed me again, "oral pleasuring skills, off the charts," kissed me again, "and endurance was a B."

"What!" I cried out, "that endurance grade is an outrage! I demand to see the test proctor!"

"Honey, hush! For a 40-year-old woman like me, if your endurance grade was any higher it might cripple me."

I rolled her over on her back and began kissing my way down her chest. "So, when did I get to be such a good breast man?" I veered left and gently pressed my lips on her nipple, very aware that Laura's nipples were extra sensitive now that she was pregnant. I kissed it, then did the same on the right one.

She shivered. I loved making her shiver. "Since our first night together. You know I love your mouth on my boobs." I lifted her right breast and kissed underneath it, then did the same on the left.

"What a coincidence, I love it too. When the baby comes, even though you'll be breastfeeding I'll still want my share, you know. Remember these luscious tits are mine, I'm just loaning them to our baby." Laura's hands reached down and pulled my head upwards. She spread her legs as I moved up, and my cock slipped in easily.

She whispered to me in a voice so husky it could pull a dogsled, "I love you Tom, now please stop talking and fuck me." I was happy to oblige.

++++++++++

The afternoon of the wedding was a warm one for April, so the patio heaters weren't needed.

Minister Barksdale stood in front, smiling. When she arrived, she'd remarked to me how much she loved this setting and being with our family again. I thanked her and told her we weren't done, we'd need her for later in the summer when Laura and I would be renewing vows.

The wedding started; Liam walked in, trailed by his best man James, followed by Olivia's fiancé Brad and his youngest brother Elijah as groomsmen.

Then Miriam walked in, looking every bit the traditional bride; long white dress with lace sleeves, a veil, and a long train carried by her little bridal attendant Amelia. The dress had been altered to accommodate her 3-month baby bump, making her look even more beautiful.

She was followed by her Matron of Honor, Leigh, with Olivia, Ava, and Ashley as her bridesmaids. Once James had introduced his fiancée to his sisters, they'd taken to her as family immediately.

Following up in the rear were Hunter as the ring-bearer, and Pearl as the flower girl. For a moment I imagined the two of them growing up and getting married someday, but then I realized Hunter would be marrying his aunt! Ah, the complexities of a huge family.

Miriam wanted a traditional ceremony so as she approached the front, Leigh's husband Terry, whom the bride had known for many years, stood and gave her away to my son.

I glanced over at Laura, she seemed to be holding it together well so far, probably better than I was. My son, the boy who changed my life. I felt myself getting choked up.

Minister Barksdale began, "Friends and loved ones of Miriam and Liam, it gives me great joy to be with you today to join these two wonderful people together in marriage. I'm sure the walls of this old barn have witnessed many loving moments; today will add to that list. Liam and Miriam will now exchange their vows."

Liam began, "Miriam, I stand here to take you to as my wife and lifelong companion. Your love has given my life purpose. When we met my heart was a boat, drifting without direction; you've become my map and my rudder.

I love and respect you because you're beautiful, capable and strong. You don't need a man to take care of you; you need a man to be your partner. I want to be that man; one you can trust and confide in, one who'll carry you when you're weary and tend to you when you're unwell. Most importantly, I want to be the man who will share duties equally in the raising of our children.

From this moment on, I promise to always live by the vows that we make today. I promise to be the best spouse I can be to you, and a loving father for our children."

I could barely breathe, stunned by the power of Liam's words.

Then it was Miriam's turn: "Liam, when I met you, I was a single mother, alone and afraid; afraid of an uncertain future, afraid for my son's well-being and afraid I'd never find love again. You changed everything and vanquished those fears forever.

I love and respect you because you are passionate and determined, and unafraid to show your feelings. You're a doting father to Hunter. You respect me as a woman, as a lover, and as a mother. You make me feel like I'm the only woman in the world to you.

From this moment on, I promise to always live by the vows that we make today. I promise to be the best spouse I can be to you, and a loving mother for our children."

Minister Barksdale then stepped up.

"Liam McFarland, do you take Miriam as your wife, to love, cherish and respect from this day onward?"

"I do."

"Miriam Simmons, do you take Liam as your husband, to love, cherish and respect from this day onward?"

"I do."

"Please exchange rings." I could see Miriam begin to cry happy tears, her hand trembling as she placed the ring on Liam's hand; Liam beaming ear to ear as he lovingly placed the ring on Miriam's hand.

Minister Barksdale raised her hands heavenward, declaring, "By the power vested in me by the State of Oklahoma, I now pronounce you married. You may now kiss as husband and wife." I squeezed Laura's hand, my eyes brimming with tears.

Minister then announced, "I am overjoyed to present to you Mr. and Mrs. Liam McFarland."

And then it was done. Another child starting a new family story. Man, I felt old.

++++++++++++++++++++

MAY - Olivia and Brad's Really Big Wedding; An Old Friend Returns

Since Archer was well-known and respected in the Wichita and Clearwater business communities, Brad and Olivia's wedding was a huge affair. Two hundred people were invited; a hundred and forty attended, most of whom were friends of Archer. Ava was Olivia's matron of honor. Ashley, Miriam, and Amelia were her bridesmaids and little Pearl was the flower girl.

Since Brad's frat buddies had all abandoned him, he'd asked Liam to be his best man, with James and Elijah as groomsman and Lucas was the ring-bearer. To make things simple, Archer and I agreed since most of the wedding guests were friends of his, we'd split the wedding costs 70/30.

NewOldGuy77
NewOldGuy77
880 Followers