Mother Road Ch. 07 - Passing Lane

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked around and realized there had been quite an audience for this beat-down. Natalie had been watching, holding my 3-year-old granddaughter Marie, sobbing with tears running down her face. TJ stood next to her, in a state of shock watching two of his boyhood heroes throwing down.

Curiously, our employees Deborah and Terry had come out from in the cabin and were also watching. Terry stood there looking horrified, while Deborah was staring at her older coworker with a look of sheer disgust on her face. I heard her say, "I warned you Terry. I fucking warned you!"

As I pulled Eli to his feet, I saw Terry jump in her car and leave, while Deborah shook her head and walked back into the cabin office.

At that moment Laura ran up. "TOM! What's going on? Why were the boys fighting?"

"Not sure yet," I said as I pointed to Natalie, "but I'm going to find out. Can you take TJ and Natalie inside?"

Laura went over and took baby Marie into one arm, looping the other around Natty's waist and leading her into the house. TJ followed closely behind.

"Boys, come with me," I ordered, and led them into the barn. "Each of you, pull up a hay bale and sit your dumb asses down." They did as I asked, fortunately, as they were adults and could have just told me to fuck off instead. Plus, I was too damn old to be kicking their butts if they didn't.

I turned to Eli, who looked like shit. His left eye was blackened, his face was bruised, and a trickle of blood was coming out of his nose, dripping onto his torn polo shirt. "Elijah, do you want to tell me what this was about?"

Eli glared at Lucas, then jerked his chin at Lucas, "Ask my asshole brother. He was the one who started it; he grabbed me as I was getting out of my car and attacked me for no reason." To me this sounded like pure bullshit; I'd raised both of these boys, and Lucas never did anything like this without provocation. Still, to be fair, I had to hear them both out.

"OK, Lucas, your turn." Lucas had been quiet, studying his bloody knuckles -- mostly Eli's blood, I'd wager. Knowing Lucas as I did, I knew he was holding something in, something huge. I braced myself; Lucas could be like his older siblings Ava and James, holding back until finally things flowed out of him like water from a dam bursting. Not today, though. To my shock, he started to cry.

Between sobs, he managed to get out "Josie dumped me because Elijah cheated on Natalie." That revelation hit me like a ton of bricks for multiple reasons. Josie was Natalie's younger sister. When Elijah had run out after getting Natalie pregnant, she came to live with us on the farm. Lucas had developed a huge crush on her, and naively threatened Eli that if he didn't marry Natty, Lucas would.

When Elijah and Natty reconciled, Lucas was disheartened, but met and fell hard for Natty's lookalike younger sister Josie. They first got together at Elijah and Natalie's wedding, and had been inseparable for 3 years. When I gave him his cash disbursement, he told me he was going to buy a ring and propose to Josie. If I understood what Lucas was telling me, those plans had just been cancelled. That much I understood, but Lucas's story seemed to be a layer cake, and I'd only tasted the frosting.

"I'm sorry to hear Josie dumped you, and this is the first I'd heard about Eli cheating on Natty." I turned and glared at Eli, but he was sitting with his head hung low, the little shit. "I'm not exactly clear on how Eli's cheating caused Josie to dump YOU. You've always cared about both of those girls."

"That's the problem, Dad. I love them both. This all started last night when we were having dinner at the Reed's house. Eli had been drinking, he was in a really foul mood. He kept getting texts. Natty asked him who was texting him on a Sunday night, he said it was Terry was texting him work stuff. A few minutes later he went to get another beer, leaving his phone on the couch. When he got another text message, Natty picked it up and read it." He glared at Eli, and said, "You want to tell Dad what she saw?"

Eli said nothing, so Lucas turned back towards me. "Remember when you sent Terry and Elijah to attend that security trade show in Las Vegas? Of the 5 days they were there, they spent three of them in their hotel rooms. What Natalie saw was Terry texting Eli, telling him how hot he was; she even sent him a naked photo of herself."

I was dumbstruck. Eli was 22 and married, Terry was 11 years older and fresh off a divorce. When they happened to both be in the office they seldom spoke, and when they did, you got the impression they barely liked each other. I guess it's true about appearances being deceiving, because I sure had been.

"Poor Natalie," I said more to myself than anyone in particular, "she doesn't deserve that shit."

"It gets worse, Dad. Natty started yelling at Eli. At first, he denied it, then swore it didn't mean anything, but none of that did any good. Finally, Natty shouted that it was her fault for being stupid enough to marry him." Lucas stopped and sobbed, then went and stood over Eli.

"Tell him what you said next, you son of a bitch. Tell him how you ruined my relationship with Josie. TELL HIM!!" Lucas drew his fist back, and if he decided to swing there was not a damned thing I could -- or knowing now what Eli had done -- even would do about it.

Eli took a deep breath, then quietly said, "I told Natty she'd married the wrong brother, she should have married Lucas because he loved her more than me." Holy shit.

I remembered the exact day three years ago when Lucas had come to me and admitted his love for Natty, and his willingness to marry her if Eli didn't. It was even my suggestion that he ask Natty to introduce him to Josie. This was advice I was now seriously regretting.

Lucas continued his story, "Josie asked me if it was true, that I'd wanted to marry Natty. I didn't know what to say, I wanted to deny it, but I couldn't lie to her, so I didn't say anything. When I wouldn't answer, Josie started to cry, and told me she didn't want to be anybody's second choice. Then she ran in her room and locked the door.

I loved her, Dad, but Eli ruined it for me. I'd already asked her parents last week for their permission to propose, and they'd said yes. Now they looked at me like I was dead, and asked me and Eli to leave." Poor Lucas. Poor Natty. Poor Josie. What a freaking mess this was turning out to be!

Lucas was on a roll now, "I went to a city park and slept in my car. This morning, Natalie called me and asked me to come get her and Marie. When she got in the car, she asked me if what Eli said about me loving her was true. I told her yes, but I also loved Josie. She told me Josie was super mad at both of us, and never wanted to see either of us again. That's when I drove over here and waited for Eli to show up for work. He'd hurt Natty real bad, and he'd ruined my relationship with Josie. I wanted to make him pay."

He glared again at Eli, who appeared to be removed from the situation, instead choosing to devote his concentration towards a dirt clod on the barn floor.

My heart was heavy at this point -- one of my sons and my adoring daughter-in-law were emotionally devastated, and I couldn't do jack shit about it. I told Lucas, "Go into the house and take care of your mother and Natty. Eli and I have some business to discuss."

He left, and I turned to Eli. "You have anything to say for yourself, Elijah?" Eli remained silent. Good. I wasn't in the mood to hear any of his bullshit at this point. "I won't comment about your employment, other than to say since you've joined us, you've learned a great deal and been a good employee. I'm proud of what you've accomplished. But what happens regarding your job now is in Walter's hands. He hired you and took responsibility for you, so you're his to deal with."

Eli was still silent, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I accommodated him, and dropped it.

"On the family front, in the space of a few days you've laid so much hurt and done so much damage to people who love you I can't fucking believe it. You got lucky when Natty took you back the first time. In my opinion she'd be nuts to ever trust you again. I know I won't. Effective as of right now you're dead to me, son.

Even if you somehow were to convince Natty to forgive you and take your sorry ass back, I won't forgive you. You're the first McFarland male that I know of who cheated on his wife. I'm cutting you off, Eli. When your Mom and I are gone, Natty and Marie will get inheritance, but you'll get nothing, not even that dirt clod you've been staring at."

Even as these words left my lips, I could feel my heart ache. As much of a pain in the ass as he'd been, I loved this boy. He'd been my son since I adopted Laura's family 19 years ago.

I took a deep breath and went on, "Your mother may have a different opinion, but as far as I'm concerned, you're disowned. Terry is an attractive woman; I hope a few days in bed with her was worth the consequences." I heard the barn door open behind me, and a huge form blotted out the sunlight coming in behind it. Walter.

His deep gravel voice rumbled, "What the ever-loving fuck happened, Eli? I just got here, and before I could even get a fuckin' cup of fuckin' coffee, Terry called me and told me she fuckin' quit! Then Deborah tells me your brother laid a righteous beatin' on you and kicked your ass like a little bitch. What the hell did you do, kid?"

Eli still maintained his silence, so I filled my partner in, Ava-style: "Let me break it down for you, Walter: Eli screwed Terry at the trade show in Las Vegas, and Natty found out about it. Eli and Natty had a big fight, and Eli told Lucas's girlfriend Josie that Lucas loved Natty more than her, so Lucas got dumped. As a result, Lucas came looking for Eli this morning intending to kick his ass, and as you can see, accomplished his mission. Since you hired Eli and he reports to you, you get to deal with him professionally. Does that make everything clear?"

Walter stood silent for a few seconds to soak it all in, blinked, then sighed. Pulling up Lucas's hay bale, he sat facing Eli, putting his massive hand on Eli's shoulder. "Eli, you disappoint me," he rumbled. "I thought I taught you better, to always be up front and professional-like. Integrity, ya know? Kid, I took you under my wing and gave you a break to help you out, I helped you buy a ring for Natty, hell, I even had you stand up with me at my wedding to your Aunt Dotty, and this is how you do? Cheat on your wife with a fellow employee?"

For a moment, I felt some sympathy for Eli. This had to hurt. Walter had taken him in when Eli was desperate. My son probably had more love and respect for my partner than he did for me, and now...

"Walter, I'm sorry," Eli whispered, but Walter cut him off. All things considered, the big man seemed remarkably calm.

"Shut the fuck up, Eli," Walter grumbled. "Here's what's gonna happen. I ain't gonna fire you, because if Natty divorces your worthless ass, you'll need income to pay child support for that little daughter you abandoned. Thanks to your old man, starting June 1st you got 2 years of guaranteed employment with Cryptodira, if you don't fuck things up, and I'd better not hear that you fucked things up, understand?"

Tears began rolling down Eli's face, as if he just realized he'd let Walter down, and there was no going back. After working 30 years as an enforcer for Quiet Sal Bartolo, Walter was a lot of things; forgiving was NOT one of them. You hurt Walter or anybody he cared about? The big man would hurt you back, and in spades. My partner was a strong believer in payback.

Walter continued in his low, rumbling voice, "For my part, I'll write a nice recommendation letter sayin' you're a sharp technician with a lot of potential. You worked hard for me, so I owe you that much. Sound fair?"

He extended his hand, and Eli shook it. I was expecting Walter to smack Eli upside his head. Seeing this, I realized my partner had become a great deal calmer since he married Dotty.

Turns out I judged too soon. Walter wasn't being calm; he was just being professional. Now the professional part was done, the big man stood up, towering over Elijah, his face coloring with anger.

"Now, speakin' as your uncle, I just want to say that you fuckin' broke my heart and everybody else's with that shit you pulled, asshole. Natty's a doll, she fuckin' gave you a beautiful daughter, she sure as fuck didn't deserve you cheatin' on her. You had me fooled, thinkin' you were better than this, but it looks like you're as bad as your jailbird dad Palermo. As of right now, Eli, you ain't nothin' to me."

Having said this, Walter spat on the ground at Eli's feet. Ouch.

Bending over, he lowered his face until he was inches from Eli's, and growled, "If I ever see your fucking face near our family after today, I will lay some serious damned hurt on you, ya little prick."

Walter pointed at the door. "Go blow outta here like a butterfly in a tornado, and don't never come back to this farm unless your mother or Natty gives you permission, understand?"

Eli nodded his head and mumbled "Yes sir."

"Good. Now get your cheating ass outta my sight." With that, Eli was gone.

"Now comes the hard part," I told Walter, "let's go into the kitchen and get you some coffee, then we talk to Natty."

We were sitting around the same dining room table where I'd first had dinner with Laura and her seven children. Lucas had been there at the time, a just-weaned baby in a highchair, splattering baby food all over. Laura was covered with it and she'd looked beautiful, far more lovely than my ex-wife. For a second I almost got teary-eyed remembering that wonderful moment, but I right now I needed to focus.

There were five of us around the table today: me, Walter, Laura, Lucas, and Natty. TJ, being the quintessential big brother and uncle, was in the toy room playing with his little sister Ruthie and Natty's daughter Marie. Both 3-year-olds adored him, and I knew they were in good hands.

I started things off by addressing my daughter-in-law. She'd stopped crying, but just barely. Her eyes were still red-rimmed from her tears. "Natty, I told you three years ago how you deserve love and respect. I also told you that if Eli wouldn't give you the love and respect you deserve, he could go fuck himself. By cheating on you, he failed miserably, as a husband and as a father. I can't explain it, I don't understand it, but he's made terrible choices.

Three years ago, you became part of the family, and I promised you that anybody that treats one of my girls like shit will live to regret it. Eli was unfaithful to you. He treated you like shit, hurting your sister and Lucas as well; as promised he's facing the consequences. I've just kicked him out and disowned him."

Walter spoke up, "Eli worked for me, and done a good job, but you're family, Natalie. After what he done to you, I can't stand looking at him. I told him he ain't welcome here no more, and he should stay away forever. The only way he'll be allowed back is if you or Laura say so."

Being married to Dotty had made Walter extremely protective of his family; although he was speaking to Natty in a soft voice, I knew there was solid stone behind his words. He'd kill for Natty or any other family member if necessary.

I looked at Laura, "I'm sorry I was hard on Elijah, but given what he's done, I didn't have a choice. I hope you understand."

Laura, her face grim and holding back tears, only said, "You did the right thing, Tom." Like Natty, Laura's beautiful green eyes were red-rimmed as well. I had no doubt she was devastated not only by what Natty and Lucas had gone through, but also by the agony of watching her troubled son Elijah self-destruct in the same manner as his biological father.

Natty said nothing, but her eyes were tearing up again. Lucas quietly handed her a facial tissue, and gently squeezed her hand. I wondered if I was the only one who saw the devotion in his eyes as he looked at her.

I spoke to both kids now. "Natty, you're 22, and Lucas, you're 20; both of you are adults. Laura and I can't tell you how to feel or what to do. Natty, if you want to ask Eli to go to marriage counseling, feel free to try. If you want to file for divorce, I've got an attorney to handle it, the same guy who handled Dotty's divorce.

I suggest that you move home or move back in with us, since Eli will probably need to stay in your apartment. I can go over and pack your stuff for you, so you don't have to see Eli. I hope you stay with us, because we love having you here, and TJ loves taking care of Marie. It's entirely your decision." Natty nodded but said nothing.

I said to Lucas, "Son, I'm sorry that you're so torn. I'm sure it's not easy. I know you intended on proposing to Josie, but now is not the right time to make any kind of decision like that. You need some time to process everything, and I'm sure Josie does as well. That's all I can tell you; I wish I had easy answers, but I don't. Just don't let bitterness and anger overwhelm you. Stay the kind and caring man you've become. Don't lose that."

Having run out of things to say, I turned to Walter. "Partner, it's been a bitch of a day and it's not even lunchtime. I say let's bag it for today and go home."

Walter finishing off the now-cold coffee in the bottom of his mug, agreed. "Yeah, let's do that. I could use a dose of vitamin Dotty."

I went back into the office and put in a call to Natty's parents, Joshua and Arlene Reed. The whole Natty-Elijah-Lucas-Josie thing was bad enough, but it was complicated by the fact that our daughter Amelia had been dating their son Josh.

Arlene answered the phone and we exchanged greetings, then I told her, "Arlene, I just wanted to let you know Natty's here with us right now. I'm terribly sorry about what happened at your house, it sounds like a real mess. If there's anything Laura and I can do to help, let us know. I'm planning on going over to the apartment and packing up Natty's things this afternoon while she decides where she wants to stay. If she wants to stay with us, we have plenty of room."

"Where's Eli now?"

"No idea. He's been kicked out and disowned. He hurt our girl, Arlene. Laura and I are done with him. I swear, Laura and I didn't raise him to be like this."

Arlene sighed, and I could hear a lot of grief in it. "It's sad how we do everything in our power to raise our children with the goal of them being happy, but once they become adults, we're powerless. Now I have two broken-hearted daughters, and you've lost one of your sons. I feel worse for you than me. My girls can survive broken hearts, but it sounds like you've lost Elijah for good."

"Thanks for understanding, Arlene. Yeah, it's tough as hell. How's Josie doing? Lucas feels terrible."

"Frankly, she's torn. She misses him. He's been a kind and caring boyfriend, always catering to her every wish; her finding out that he wanted to marry Natalie has been devastating. She told me if she took him back, she'd always feel like she was just a substitute for her sister. Honestly, Joshua and I love Lucas, but I can see Josie's point."

Although she couldn't see me over the phone, I nodded in agreement. "I understand. If Natty decides she's finally done with Eli, I think Lucas will be torn as well. I just hope this whole mess doesn't affect things between Amelia and Josh."

"Oh, I don't think it will. They both seem like they're pretty emotionally stable kids and not too serious yet because they're both trying to finish college. I'm more worried about how it will affect things between Natty and Josie. There's always been a little sisterly tension between them; Josie has always been jealous of Natty for being prettier, and Natty was jealous of Josie for being smarter. In a way, Natty staying with you and Laura would be a good thing; it'll keep some distance between them. I think my girls need that right now."