Mrs. Templeton's Secrets

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At break, she sought out the supervisor and asked for a private meeting. At first, the supervisor was defensive and said it was better left alone, nothing could be done. Mr Forsyth was the boss so who would they believe, a lowly office worker or the boss and providing she was careful, she'd be alright. Nancy demanded to know the extent of the problem, assuring something would be done. He was a bully and all bullies are cowards when challenged and demanded the supervisor tell her the extent of his libidinous behaviour or she'd write to head office, placing a complaint against him and the supervisor for not doing something about it.

"I can't say anything," she pleaded. "I'm married with two children and I need this job. If my husband found out, please Nancy don't do it."

"How far has it gone with you?"

The supervisor looked around. "Twice a month he calls me into his office."

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious? Since I've given him what he wants, I've had three pay rises and been made supervisor. My job pays the mortgage. I'm only in his office for twenty minutes and it's not that bad. If you want to keep this job he'll make it clear to you what you need to do. You're not married so have nothing to lose. I've been doing it for six months and he has kept his word and my wages are better now than when I started."

"How many others does he blackmail?"

"No one talks about it but he tries it with all the new girls. He's clever; his words always have a double meaning and he takes his time. He told me what hairstyle he liked and the way he liked to see me dress. He began calling me into his office and gave me little presents, perfume and things, saying those who were good to him got all the advantages. I didn't respond at first but with his constant promises and with my husband working short time, I was desperate for more money and couldn't risk upsetting him. I couldn't afford to lose this job and he knew it and what I had to do to keep it.

"The ones who don't respond got bad reviews and are never given a wage rise so eventually they leave. I knew where it was leading and I began to respond in a positive way to his overtures. He gave me stockings and underwear and asked me to wear them to work then asked to see me wearing them. You can guess the rest, now I can't get out of it. I expect he used to same technique with the others. There are two others who are called into his office and they always get good reviews, both are married with children, now he's trying to recruit you into his harem. What I said is between the two of us, if you say anything I'll deny it. It's up to you if you give into him but he's not violent and it's less than an hour a month in his office in work time."

Nancy was horrified. This was far worse than she expected. The women were enticed into giving him sexual favours in return for financial gain and had too much to lose by speaking out. Aside from the abhorrence, this was a story in the making but she needed to get rid of Mr Forsyth. She phoned Gwenda and told her the situation. This was exploitation at its worst. She could summarily dismiss him but his work record was excellent but no employer could condone this practice. If it became public knowledge, the reputation of the hotel would suffer and it could end up in court.

The next day, Nancy was called into Mr Forsyth's office and given a small bottle of perfume. At least he was following the script and he asked if she could wear it to work. She played along and did as he asked. The following day, he gave her a set of handkerchiefs and a scarf and for the rest of the week, she was given similar presents.

Back a work after the weekend, Nancy was given a brassiere and panty set and he asked her to wear them to work the next day. If this wasn't actually happening to her, she wouldn't have believed it and wore them the following day. When she was called to his office the door opened and a woman who worked as a maid, adjusted her clothes as she exited looking flushed and in a hurry to leave.

Nancy came into the room and waiting to be asked to sit. Mr Forsyth sat in his large chair and gestured for her to take a seat and adjusted his waistcoat. He smiled, making it obvious what had just happened. "She's such a hard worker and will go far. She's been promoted twice in the last six months and when her review comes up in two months, I'm sure there'll be a little bonus in her pay check. Those benefits are also there for you, Nancy. I know it's forward of me, please don't take offence, but I would like a glimpse of the present I bought you in its correct situation."

Nancy stifled a smile; he was good. The best manipulator she'd ever witnessed and he was used to getting his own way. Faining shock, she said, "Ronald, I couldn't possibly show you. I would need to take my dress off and if someone came into the room I'd die of shame."

"Fancy underclothes are there to be seen not hidden. There's no shame in beauty."

"What would the owner think, we'll all be out of a job."

He was not in the least phased. He'd done this so many times in the past, he was expecting little reluctance, believing he'd primed her enough to take the next step. He sat back in his chair and gave her a fatherly grin. "No one will ever know," pretext and civility gone. "I am the mainstay here, what I say goes and the owner is with me all the way; besides, the owner is not living in this country. If you want to get on and reap the rewards, it can only be done through me so you need to keep me happy. Just a little look, my dear, nothing else."

Nancy knew there would always be something else, something she didn't want to give to this creep but needed to come up with something quickly. "You are a gentleman, Ronald and I am wearing them but to show you at this time, I'll be so embarrassed," looking at the floor. "It's the wrong time of the month. If you wait a few days..."

"Say no more, my dear, next week would be fine. I fully understand. You'd better get back to work." He'd reached his objective. She'd only delayed and he knew within the next few weeks she'd be on her back over his desk with her legs open and joining the rest of them but there was an inner strength about this one. He was looking forward to dominating and denigrating her.

At her bedsit, Nancy wrote up her notes capturing the personality of Ronald. If he behaved dishonestly and disrespectfully with his employees, he'd behave the same with everyone one, including the hotel owner. She needed Gwenda to do a complete audit and inventory of the hotel and its suppliers.

A day later, six people, together with Gwenda, marched into reception ordering Ronald to vacate his room, instructing him to use another office and changed the locks, impounding all files and ledgers. She set up her office, appointed Nancy as her assistant to fetch and carry, purporting it to be a random choice.

Everyone was on edge. Ronald Forsyth had a profitable racket with some of the hotel suppliers who'd overprice produce and he'd received illicit payments into his bank account. Also, he was taking food from the kitchen for his own use and giving some guests free rooms, taking an under the table payment. He didn't have time to remove all the evidence leaving bank statements and other incriminating information hidden in his office.

After two days, Mr Forsyth called Nancy into his temporary office and asked what they were doing. She appeared dumb, saying they were going through the books and talking with staff and suppliers, slowing pulling his office and the filing room apart. She knew nothing else. He asked her if she could get a few files from his office without anyone seeing and she'd be rewarded when they were gone making it sound unimportant. She looked at him demurely and said she'd love to help but didn't have a key and was only there to fetch and carry and make tea.

The files were hidden and may not be found but after hearing how methodical they were, he was having grave doubts. He was desperate. How far should he trust Nancy? He had little choice and handed her an envelope with money inside, telling her it was for herself and there was more, emphasising he'd done nothing wrong. There were some people in head office who didn't like him and were trying to get him into trouble. If that happened, they'd be all out of work and by helping him, she'd be helping others keep their jobs.

Nancy was being manipulated by an expert but needed to know what information he wanted. "They sometimes leave your office to go to lunch and leave me sorting files but I'm not allowed to let anyone into the room. If I leave, I must lock the door. How will I know what files to get; There are so many in your office and in the filing room."

The optimism in his eyes sparked. He'd carefully hidden the files beneath the floorboards under one of the cabinets. It would have to be moved and debated whether to tell her. She'd only worked there for a few weeks and he really had nothing he could hold over her but she was eager and was in no doubt she be one of his harem within a few weeks.

He was cautious, meticulous and detailed in his work and good at his job. Securing his files meant securing his future. If she spoke out later, he could deny it and get rid of her without any repercussions, relegated as a disgruntled employee trying to cause trouble.

Gwenda's attitude worried him, she must have suspicions of wrongdoing but had no proof so pounced without warning, either to get proof or exonerate him. Reasoning, if she had proof he'd be confronted with the evidence and mentally chastised himself for not anticipating this could happen. If the files were found, he'd not only lose his job but end up being prosecuted for fraud. His mind was made up. To be totally safe, he'd have to rely on Nancy. She'd taken his money without question and he'd promised more for her cooperation. She had accepted his gifts, even wore his last present to work, knowing where it would eventually end. Yes, he reassured himself, she'd do as he asked and told her where to find them.

The next day, he asked Nancy about what they discussed but she said they didn't leave the office. That afternoon, he was arrested for fraud. The evidence was conclusive. Not only was he meticulous at his job he was the same with his fraud and recorded everything in detail. He tried to implicate others, even mentioning Nancy was blackmailing him and had given her money but it came to nothing.

Chapter Sixteen

Arriving home, Nancy was filled with optimism for the future and spent the first few weeks organising her notes before beginning to write. Time moved on, the twins were nine and it was time for them to meet their brothers in Australia. Before she booked, she wanted to be sure Joan would be with them. She was seeing Peter twice a week and it looked to be a solid relationship. Terrence and she were kind of an item but both knew it was mainly sex. Joan was all for Australia so perhaps Nancy had misread how close her relationship was with Peter.

Joan worried about the cost, offering to pay for her passage from the money she'd saved. Nancy refused and again contemplated opening some of her secrets but the right time never seemed to happen. Initially, they were to fly but she changed her mind and booked a luxury cabin on a cruise ship to accommodate four people leaving in two months, but life was never a straight line and a bend in the road was waiting once again to stamp its mark on her life.

Six weeks before they were due to leave Joan fell ill, thinking a few days rest was all it would take. She wasn't improving and Nancy called the doctor. He wasn't sure of a diagnosis and phoned for an ambulance to take her to hospital. The prognosis wasn't good; there was a growth in the brain but further tests were needed before they'd commit to a diagnosis.

Nancy paid for a nanny to look after the twins and spent most of her time at the hospital, contacting the best doctors from London; expense was immaterial. If it cost her every penny she had to help Joan get better, she'd do it. There was no contest between money and love.

Joan had an aggressive malignant brain tumour and was given six months to live. The medical care she received was the best that money could provide and she was horrified Nancy was spending vast sums of money on private medical care and asked to be taken home.

Nancy placed her head on Joan's shoulder and they cried together, talking about their life and what they meant to each other until Joan fell asleep. When she opened her eyes Nancy was still resting her head on her shoulder. "I'll be thinking of you when you are on the boat. I was looking forward to it but at least you'll be going."

"I'm going nowhere, I've already cancelled the trip."

"Oh, Nancy, you can't, you'll lose all the money, I can't have that on my conscious and with all the money you've already spent... You can't keep doing it you must be in debt. Please, Nancy, love, your priority must be to the twins, they are our future."

This was pure love; the type of love she had with Phil, the same love she held for Joan. It was time to come clean. Joan knew Nancy was earning a good wage but had no idea she was one of the richest women in the country. Joan's eyes opened wide and was angry Nancy hadn't trusted her enough to tell her. Nancy broke down and cried. She'd wanted to thousands of times but was afraid of losing Joan if the truth were known.

Joan was tired and in pain and asked to be taken home to die. Nancy walked from the room in a daze, tears running down her face. For all her money, it was unless, less than dust. She'd rather be destitute and give it all away if God would make Joan better. There was one last secret. She had to tell Joan about Phil and the twins.

For the homeward journey, Joan slept most of the way, Nancy holding her hand the whole time. Waiting to receive them were two nurses and a doctor who were to stay in Joan's house. Nancy's parlour was made into a bedroom. Alice was also staying in her mother's house. The end was near and everyone knew it. When death waits to step into the room, voices' hush and dim, a creeping quietness infuses the walls like poison Ivy, curtains stay half drawn, disinfectant pervades the nostrils as death creeps forward at a petty pace.

Nancy steeled herself; it was time to tell Joan the truth about the twins. She sat in a chair next to the bed watching her, waiting for her to wake. Joan's weight had halved. Her eyes opened and she looked through glassy eyes at Nancy who reached out and grabbed her hand. "Joan love," feeling the phlegm in her throat rising, "I have kept a secret from you for many years. I have tried to tell you but I was afraid, afraid of losing you and the hurt it would cause. I can't let you go until you know the truth, the twins..."

"I know, I've always known, I am their grandmother."

"Oh, Joan, I am so sorry. I need your forgiveness," tears rolling down her cheeks. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"The same reason you didn't, I was afraid of losing you and the twins."

"That would never happen. We are old fools."

"I knew within the first few months of their birth. They looked like my two and I knew it was you placing flowers on Phil's grave on his birthday. When I looked at the blood groups it only confirmed what I already knew. They were Phil's children. He was always happy after coming from your house, never had a bad word to say about you. I never put it together then but later everything fell into place."

Joan closed her eyes for a few moments, turned and looked at Nancy. "I also have a secret and you deserve to have the truth and I need your forgiveness."

"I'm the one at fault but I'm not sorry it happened, for out of our love for each other, I had the twins. I am sorry for deceiving and lying to you. The reason I have kept it hidden all these years was that I was afraid, if exposed, the truth would come out and you and Alice, my boys, everyone would hate me for sleeping with the son of my best friend. My first novel was about Phil and me."

"I know but I'm glad you told me. I forgave you when I realised I was their grandmother. I am as guilty as you and what we say in this room today no one must know." Joan's breath grew laboured. "Forgive me, Nancy, Phil was John's son."

It took a little time for Nancy to register what Joan said. "You mean David's," thinking she was confused.

"I'm saying Phil was John's son."

Nancy took a deep breath. "No, it can't be right. "How?"

"When you were away looking after your mother for a few weeks. If you remember, David was also away working, training young colliers. He was gone for six weeks and you asked me to make sure John had his meals. I had nothing else to do. This is so hard. I spent most of my time at your house. At the end of the first week, we had dinner together and drank a few beers and we ended up... It happened until you came home when we ended it."

Nancy was lost for words and her anger began to build but quickly she checked it. It was so long ago. "Did John know?"

"Yes, why do you think he always had time for Phil? I'm so sorry." Nancy wiped away Joan's tears. "There was no love. It was two people missing their partners and we agreed we'd take it to the grave and never mention it."

"How did John know Phil was his?"

"I told him and we never spoke of it again."

"Does Alice know?"

"No. I want your sworn promise she never will and the twins must never know. I want no hatred built into my demise. I want our pasts buried with me."

Nancy was still processing the revelation and took a while to respond. "Of course, let it stay in the past. Joan, I love you. The only two people on this earth who I have truly loved, besides my children, are you and Phil and that love will be buried with me." She watched Joan slip into unconsciousness, never to wake.

So many secrets hidden in so much love. Nancy was alone. She had the twins but they were too young to understand and would never know Phil was their father. Her sister Mary was still alive but they were never close and she had lung cancer so wasn't long for this world.

Joan's funeral was a quiet affair. She was laid to rest with her husband. The village, without Joan, held nothing for Nancy only memories, regrets and secrets. She had the twins, her boys and grandchildren, Amelia Nancy and Peter John Templeton. It was time to be reunited and booked to go to Australia with no return ticket, leaving Gwenda in charge of her burgeoning businesses.

End