Mud and Magic Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rhys chuckled. "I needed to get rid of some soot and grime. Could you get me something to eat? I'm starving."

"Well, dinner was three hours ago. I'll see what I can scrounge together."

"Thank you. I'd be happy with some bread and meat, nothing fancy please."

Sen placed her hands on her hips. "Master Rhys, don't neglect your vegetables. A young sprout like you needs all the green and juicy bits it can get to grow strong and tall."

"Even taller?" Rhys grinned. "Yes, mum. Make it 'bread, meat and some veggies' then."

"Anything else while I'm at it? Some pussy for dessert?" She threw him a lewd grin. "I mean, given your usual pattern..."

"Shoo, before I collapse from exhaustion!"

"As'lai delar'sis!" Sen chirped, dancing out of the room.

"I didn't get that," Rhys admitted.

Haloryth shook in silent laughter. "She just invited you to taste her fruit," the elven spirit giggled, her index finger pointing between her thighs. "I see an exhausting night in your near future, dear Rhys. As such, I will do as any proper lady does and excuse myself. Maybe I can find someone to chat with around here." She bowed and sunk into the floor.

Rhys walked over to his desk, piled up some books and moved them unceremoniously to the floor to clear a little space. He then unrolled a map of the Western Continent, fixed it with his inkwell and the corner of a weighty encyclopedia and took a long, hard look. It was one of the maps Idunn had brought with her when she had taught him how to scry. It was rather recent and contained notes on which villages and towns Carver had under his iron yoke.

How are we ever going to get rid of you? Rhys mused. Even if he and his friends did run one death-defying mission after another, it would take years to even reclaim the southern half of Carver's holdings. They needed more capable fighters and mages. Rogues would make infiltrating and sabotaging fortified guard posts that much easier. Clerics to heal the wounded and to deal with the undead. But where to find them?

I mean, I have a few ideas, especially in the 'cleric' department, Rhys thought, fondly remembering Astra'il and Najat, the catfolk priestess of The Dancer he had met in Storm Harbor. He hoped he would see both of them again. Maybe he could contact Uncle Ulrich once he knew how to cast the Message spell. Unless the old man has been called to his master's side already.

But where am I to find more mages? Or fighters? He knew at least two warriors of exceptional skill. The elven siblings Sylae and Gael. But would the Stalkerites be interested in helping them? Asking couldn't hurt, after all Carver's logging and raiding camps were a huge problem for the elves still trying to cling to a life in the woods.

A knock at the door yanked Rhys from his musings. "Come in!" he called, turning to face the door.

Sen entered, effortlessly balancing a large tray on one arm and carrying a decanter and long-stemmed goblet in her free hand. She used her butt to shut the door.

"Here's your dinner. Where do you want it?" she asked.

"Put it on the low table by the fireplace please."

"Sure thing. Take this." She handed off the decanter and goblet and placed the tray on the table. It was laden with fresh, warm bread but also slices of tender venison and a bowl full of diced tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers mixed in with what he presumed was some kind of goat cheese. His stomach roared in anticipation. The decanter was full of cool apple juice.

"This looks and smells delicious! Thank you," he said with feeling.

Sen shuffled her feet and avoided his gaze. "Well... I might be a bitch sometimes but I take my duties seriously." A naughty grin played around her lips. "I think I've forgiven you for not laying me too."

"Too kind, milady," Rhys said, saluting her with a piece of bread.

Sen sank into the armchair opposite him. "I wouldn't protest if you changed your mind though," she purred, pulling her apron up her thigh.

Rhys chuckled and shook his head. "I appreciate the offer but my response is the same, even if the reasons are different than last time."

"Now I'm too curious to be offended. Explain yourself, ruffian!"

Rhys washed down a bite with a sip of apple juice. "Simple. After being slapped around by both Idunn and Haloryth for hours on end, I'm afraid I'd be a disappointing lover. Easy as that."

"What happened to 'I'd feel bad for fucking the maid?'" Sen asked, intrigued.

"I now know a lot more about you. And myself," Rhys said. "Let's talk about that more when I'm not about to pass out from exhaustion. Also, have you tried talking to Hagazz?"

"About what? Haven't seen him recently. At all."

"Formal training. I have a feeling Thurguz won't throw a fit if you picked up your knives during your off-hours. As much as I have grown accustomed to you dealing with my laundry and fetching food, your talents are wasted as a maid. You would make a fine rogue." Rhys speared at a piece of cucumber and popped it into his mouth.

"Keep talking like that and I'll have my way with you, whether you want it or not," Sen said. "Are you serious?"

Chewing, Rhys nodded. He swallowed hard. "Just to make sure, I'll talk to Thurguz once more tomorrow. How's that?"

Sen left her armchair and hugged Rhys, planting a loud smooch on his cheek. "And I used to hate your guts."

"Thanks for giving me another chance then." He slung an arm around her waist and hugged her back. "Now, would you mind leaving me some space so I can finish my meal?"

"Sure. Sorry. I'll be back tomorrow morning for breakfast. The usual?"

"Yes please. Tea and oatmeal."

Sen sashayed out of the room, humming to herself. Rhys made short work of his dinner, his mind awhirl with half-formed ideas and embryonic plans. He was so preoccupied, it took him an empty fork poking his lips to realize he had devoured all of the food without really noticing it.

"This can't wait until tomorrow," he grumbled to himself and left his room. He heard voices and the tinkling of Lishaka's favored instrument, the dwarven hammer harp, coming from the Common Room. The notes and scales she played sounded sad and forlorn, especially with the slight echo the stone hallway provided.

Rhys entered the room. Lishaka sat behind the instrument, her face hidden behind a large slab of sheet music, while Chassari lounged on a sofa, fanning herself with a slim book. The purple-scaled serpent woman wore a white robe-like garment with almost imperceptible wave patterns stitched in silver. It was open to her crotch and one long-fingered hand rested comfortably just below her navel. Borna was the final occupant, sitting cross-legged on the floor. She had shed the long coat Rhys had bought for her and had something large, blue and fluffy draped across her thighs. Her usually angelic face was a mask of barely controlled anger and confusion.

"Why would you do something like that?" she snapped at Chassari, her tail rattling across the floor behind her. Rhys almost expected sparks to fly from her stinger.

"I love to ssspoil my friendsss," Chassari calmly explained. "Even a big girl like you needsss something to hug once in a while. Essspecially you." Quietly she added: "No offense, Borna-chan."

"What do you mean 'especially me?'" Borna slapped the thing. Rhys heard fabric tear and saw white stuffing leak from a long gash in the... thing's side. A triangular fin sprang upright as the mangled item knitted itself. "For your information, I can find someone to hold, cuddle and even fuck me if I ask nicely." Rhys ducked out of sight as both Chassari and Lishaka bombarded Borna with questions. He made a quick detour and knocked at Galdor's door. No answer and the door remained closed as he tried the handle. Next up was Elara's.

The elven druidess cracked her door ajar. "What is it?" A smile tugged on her lips as she recognized Rhys. "You are a sight for sore eyes, Rhys. Want to come in?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you could spare maybe half an hour. I'd like to talk about how we're going to get our hands on Celeste."

Elara's face sank. "Does it have to be now?"

"Please. I'd like everyone's opinion on a few ideas I have. It won't be long, promise. I'll stay with you afterwards, if you want."

Elara's eyes lit up again. "I'd very much like that. I've already tried to force myself to sleep but it didn't work. Maybe some diversion would help ease my mind." She left her room, winding one of her gauzy robes around herself. This one was of a deep blue, almost like the student's robes Rhys wore. Elara wove her fingers between Rhys' as they walked towards the Common Room.

"Why now?" she asked.

"Can't sleep either. Maybe getting all this stuff out in the open will finally allow me to heed my battered body and get some rest."

Laughter reached them as they turned into the Common Room. Borna held the blue thing at arms' length and scowled at it. Now Rhys could see what it was -- a fluffy blue fish with a long, bottle-like nose and an elegantly curved tailfin. The belly was white and it had two glinting glass beads as eyes. Borna's loincloth tented obscenely underneath the plush.

When the cursed girl saw Rhys and Elara enter, she slammed the fishie back onto her lap and blushed furiously.

"Oh Rhysss, we were jussst talking about you," Chassari hissed.

Lishaka's eyes went from Borna to Rhys and back again, her face a mask of incomprehension and sheer disbelief. With an audible click, the goblin closed her mouth, shook her head -- so hard, her triangular ears nearly slapped her -- and busied herself behind the hammer harp.

"Don't mind them," Borna growled. "They're being very silly tonight." Her tail swished across the floor.

"Anyone know where Galdor is?" Rhys asked, claiming an armchair for himself. Elara sank onto the sofa Chassari was on. The serpent-woman drew in her legs and offered the elven princess a consoling smile.

"Yes," Borna said. "I heard him talk to Idunn. Something about needing a Teleport to Storm Harbor in a hurry. He won't be long, I presume."

"Can't be helped then." Rhys shrugged and claimed some writing utensils from a side board. "Sorry to disrupt your gathering but I'd like to discuss the Celeste situation and what we're going to do about it."

"Oh, you have a plan already? Great, because I want to rip that harlot's head off and shit down her throat," Lishaka snarled, baring her teeth. "Hilgrun was my friend too."

"What's your plan, Rhys?" Borna asked, keenly watching as he used a charcoal stick to scribble and sketch onto a piece of parchment.

"I wouldn't call it a fully formed plan just yet," he admitted. "We know where Celeste is, how to get there and how to get out again." He took his drawing and held it up, displaying a rough map of the area around Skyview Lake, along with a sketch of the small keep close by.

"That's a lot already," Borna said.

"We also know that Skyview Keep is currently Faedal's place of residence," Rhys added quietly. "We don't know how many men -- or monsters -- he has in his retinue. The keep once belonged to Thurguz' merry band of adventurers but the old man cautioned me that probably most of the old secret passageways and hidden exits might be either sealed or trapped."

Silence greeted him. I wish they'd complain or call me an idiot for even considering an attack, Rhys thought.

"So, what'sss the plan then?" Chassari asked. "You're not planning to ssstorm the front gatesss, are you?"

"I seem to have misplaced my pocket army," Rhys said, shaking his head. "But what we will have is probably even better. Thurguz promised to cause a big diversion for us. I was thinking about having him immolate the pier and warehouse down by the lake while we sneak in through the back."

"Didn't you say secret passageways and hidden exits might be compromised?" Lishaka asked.

"I did. My plan is to teleport right here." Rhys pointed at the rear keep wall. "Right on top of the watchtower overlooking the courtyard. We'll have an instant vantage point and can deal with any guards who might be left behind as sentries while the rest investigate the inferno at the pier."

Lishaka rubbed her hands. "We'll rain down some more fireballs on those fools then!"

"About that... I'd like you to stay here, Lisha."

"What?" The goblin slammed her hands down on the keyboard, causing a loud and dissonant eruption. "Why? What have I done to you to make you push me away like this?"

Rhys blinked in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"What am I talking about? When did you plan on coming to visit me for a bit of a talk or a snuggle or another fuck like we had in the elven woods? We've been back at the tower for almost three days now and I haven't seen you at all. No 'I missed you Lisha,' nothing!" She glared at him. "Instead I learn that you happily shoved your cock into Borna's waiting snatch, slept with Elara and whoever else!" She hopped off the bench and stormed from the Common Room, leaving the others in stunned silence.

"But... but...," Rhys stammered. "I didn't mean to..."

There was the loud bang of a door being slammed closed echoing through the hallway.

"I think the two of you should talk... after ssshe's had a chance to cool off," Chassari said softly. "Things have been... complicated on our end as well."

"What do you mean?" Rhys asked her.

"I'll tell you later. Now you ssshould probably lay out the resst of your plan. Who was sssupposed to join you and why did you want Lishaka to ssstay behind?"

Rhys took a deep breath and rubbed his face. "Two simple reasons: First, she can help Thurguz and Idunn with the whole 'fireballs from the sky' thing. I don't know much about rituals but, if that's what Idunn and Thurguz hinted at, I thought the more spellcasters for the ritual, the better."

"What's the other reason?" Elara asked softly.

Rhys blushed. "I... I want her to be out of harm's way. Faedal is magic resistant to some degree so flinging fireballs at him probably won't do us much good. Also, should our mission fail, Lishaka would be safe and a powerful asset to Thurguz."

"That would leave the three of us," Borna said. "Almost like last time." She cracked her knuckles. "Count me in."

"Why me instead of Lishaka?" Elara asked.

"I'd like to have a capable healer in earshot," Rhys said, his hand going for his mangled knee. "And you are our only option at the moment since Galdor is unavailable." He sighed. "I wish I could spare you the horror of possibly facing down Faedal-"

Elara shook her head. "I'll come, if only to make sure you all make it out alive. Just don't let me get my hands on Celeste." She gnashed her teeth.

"What about you, Chassari?" Rhys asked. "Your experience and skills helped out tremendously last time."

"What made you think I'd sit here and keep Lishaka company?" Chassari purred. "Of courssse I'll come along." Her eyes sought Elara. "I'll alssso offer sssomething extra."

"More than your combat and stealth proficiency?"

The serpent-headed woman nodded, her grin nearly splitting her skull. "You sssaid 'Skyview Lake,' right?"

"That's the place, according to Thurguz."

Chassari sat up straight and caressed Elara's thigh. "Does the name 'Hand of Life' mean anything to you?" she asked innocently.

Elara perked up. "Of course! It's a prized magical item of the Lifegiver's faith. It is said that less than a handful were ever created and most of them have been either destroyed or lost in the Fall of the Fateweaver."

Borna raised her hand. "What does that 'Hand' thing do to deserve that much excitement?"

Chassari's grin widened even more. "It allows the wearer to cassst healing magic at increased potency -- and at range. No more touching."

"Sounds useful," Borna admitted. "Why bring it up now?"

"Because I know where one 'Hand of Life' isss." Chassari stood up and took Rhys' map. A long, purple finger pointed at the western ridge bordering the lake. "If we can take a sssmall detour and raid a shrine on one of the peaksss over here, we might find it. I read about it in one of Thurguz' books."

Borna snapped her fingers. "'The Wind Charmer's Tale,' right? I always wondered why a slightly naughty elven fairy tale would include a highly accurate map of such a remote, mountainous region."

"Yesss, that wass the name of the book. One moment." Chassari dashed from the Common Room, leaving Elara, Borna and Rhys alone.

The elf broke the silence first. "So... Rhys. Borna..."

"Don't," Borna warned her. "I've had enough people make fun of me for one evening." She locked gazes with Rhys. "She better apologize. There was nothing 'waiting.' Besides, what's wrong with my pussy? It's the same as hers, damn it!"

"Only in white and with... a bit extra," Elara said, blushing.

"And Lishaka is one to talk," Borna growled, her gaze snapping towards Rhys. "Didn't you say you saw her having sex before you nearly committed suicide by stupidity?"

"What did he do?" Elara asked, alarmed.

"Two days after Faedal made him eat a Disjunction Stone, High Mage Rhys wanted to test his magical might and scried for his green girlfriend here," Borna explained, trying -- and failing miserably -- to keep a mocking tone from her voice. "When I found him, his skull was nearly split open and he babbled something about an orgy involving Lisha, Chassari, a catgirl and..."

"Thorn, my other sssex ssslave," Chassari said, entering the Common Room. She tapped an ancient folio embossed with curvy elven script. "After narrowly essscaping Faedal's henchmen, we earned a bit of pleasure, don't you think?"

"If you say so. It's not like Rhys threw me onto the bed and fucked me silly. I complained all the while," she added softly. "And I really liked what he did to me. It just happened."

"It's not like I want to push Lishaka away, there were so many things happening all at once," Rhys stammered.

"If anyone is to blame, it would be me," Elara moaned. "I'm sorry, Rhys."

"We will sssort it all out. Tomorrow," Chassari said, slamming the book onto the table. "Would you please look at thisss? Here's where we can find the 'Hand Of Life.'" She opened the book in the center. A beautifully drawn and annotated map went across the pages, eerily mirroring the western half of the mountains surrounding Skyview Lake.

"Does it say if the place is warded somehow?" Rhys asked. "Despite Haloryth's influence, I still have a hard time deciphering Elven."

"Sssadly no. It only describes how the shrine came to be, not what later generations did to possibly ward it," Chassari said.

"Then I will have a look tomorrow morning, just before we leave," Rhys announced. "Let's prepare so we can begin around noon. Bring weapons, armor, healing supplies and whatever else comes to mind. I have my magical bag to store it all."

"Fine. I hope you like cuddling with this," Borna grumbled, threateningly waving the dolphin around.

"If you think it's essential equipment for a life-or-death mission, bring it with you," Rhys said. "It looks good on your lap."

"I keep it there because my... it won't deflate." Borna's eyes met his. "It's probably all your fault."

Rhys sighed. "Any more questions? If not, I have a furious goblin to talk to."

* * * *

"Go away!" Lishaka sounded furious, even through the thick wooden door.

"I haven't even knocked yet," Rhys said, trying not to yell too loud.

"Rhys, I'm not in the mood for a talk right now," Lishaka snarled. "Please, go away."

"Can't we talk about this like adults? I'm not sure what I did to you, honest!"

There was no answer from the other side of the door. Then, almost too quiet to be heard, Lishaka said: "Leave me alone, Rhys. This is so weird and strange right now and I really don't want to hurt you."