Mud and Magic Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can't it be both? I mean, I've tried to win him over since the day he came here and he valiantly refuses, only for me to find him with Lishaka, you, Hilgrun and now tangled up next to Borna?!"

"Tough luck. Did you at least bring breakfast? I'm ravenous." Borna locked gazes with Sen then she straddled Rhys. The young sorcerer sighed as her sex slid along his own raging hardness.

"For Rhys, yes. For the two of you? Nah. Do you want me to?" Sen asked sweetly. Borna's answer was another growl, low and threatening.

Sen sighed, threw her hands up and retreated back towards the door, picking up Rhys' laundry basket on the way. "Sheesh. The way I see it, Rhys would be better off fucking me than having to deal with you. You're behaving like some kind of animal right now."

"I don't like your bullshit this soon after waking up," Borna snapped. "Will you piss off already?"

"And leave you three alone to happily fuck around? Well, if that's your idea of a good morning, have at it. Only be aware that Idunn is about to come here. Seems like our own Hearthmother has a few uncomfortable questions for Rhys Monster-Tamer here." Sen blew Borna a kiss and strode from the room.

Elara rolled back into bed, her eyes glued to the spectacle of Borna slowly rocking against Rhys' pelvis, her own erection neatly bisecting the sorcerer's stomach. The cursed girl had her head tilted back and eyes closed as she savored the moment.

"My, that's a lewd and enticing sight if I've ever seen one," the naked elf purred. She leaned in and brazenly licked along Borna's shaft, causing the armor-plated being atop Rhys to flinch violently. Her stinger carved a large gash into the bed frame.

"Who invited you to this?" Borna snapped.

Elara grinned merrily, replacing her lips and tongue with a skillful hand. "I was here first, if you have to know. Didn't you listen to a word Sen said? Idunn will be here soon. As much as I'd like to see this continue and escalate, we should probably make ourselves somewhat presentable."

"But... but... I'm so close!" Borna growled. "Don't you think we have time?"

A sharp rap at the door answered that particular question. All three occupants of the bed sighed and spilled from it, with Rhys yanking a robe around his shoulders as he dashed towards the door. Elara giggled. The student robe wasn't made to hide his erection.

Borna stomped into the adjacent bathroom and slammed the door shut. Elara threw her own robe around her body and took a seat by the hearth. Her sharp ears noticed soft grunts and wet, sloppy sounds coming from the bathroom.

"Good morning." Idunn sounded wide awake and sterner than usual, even considering the times she had barked at Elara and Hilgrun for disregarding the "stay clothed" rule in the Common Room. Smiling wistfully, Elara moved the bowl of oatmeal and Rhys' tea mug off the tray and used her druidic magic to conjure a large breakfast. It wouldn't probably measure up to the standards set by the tower's cook but it would at least nourish all present. She filled a cup with water and plucked one of the wafer-like food items off the tray, chewing on the cardboard-like substance.

"G'mornin' Idunn. What can I do for you?" Rhys asked. He still sounded sleepy and exactly like someone who had been rudely yanked from something very pleasant. Elara made sure to keep both hands above her own waistline. The image of Borna riding him, along with their mixed fragrances and the cursed girl's taste had her own body humming with need. She felt a little guilty for being this easy to excite, especially so soon after Hilgrun's death. Maybe it was her body trying to tell her to move on. More likely it was her usual method of coping with pain and loss all over again.

"You could let me come in already. I need to talk to you."

"That... might be a bit awkward. I have guests."

Idunn sighed, the heavy sound of one weary of the foolishness of youth. "Fine. Meet me in the Common Room when you're decent. You're lucky it's not an emergency." The door closed again.

Borna uttered a very un-girlish roar which seemed to shake the tower in its foundations then it became suspiciously quiet.

Rhys joined Elara at the hearth. "Do I want to know what just happened?" he softly asked. The elf giggled and hugged Rhys' waist, placing a loving peck onto his taut stomach. Promptly, his robe began to tent again.

"At least one of us found some release," Elara guessed. "Smooth talking, my dear friend. 'Guests,' huh?"

"We didn't do... much last night," he muttered. To his credit, he didn't blush. Nor did he avert his gaze.

"If Borna had her way, we might have just now." Elara said, offering Rhys his breakfast. "I wonder how it would have ended..."

The bathroom door opened and Borna returned, taking one careful step after the other. They heard water running.

"Please don't tell me you painted my bathroom with your juices," Rhys said.

"No, I aimed it all into the garderobe." Borna said, reaching the table. She sank onto her knees. "I can tell you where it would have ended," she said, looking at Elara. "We would have fucked like possessed bunnies and never made it out of this room today. I'm not happy about Idunn -- and Sen -- spoiling the mood but at least we will be able to find Celeste later. It is still happening today?"

Rhys stopped spooning oatmeal into his mouth and gulped furiously. "Absolutely."

"What did Idunn want?" Borna asked, carefully inspecting one of the conjured food wafers. "Is this edible?"

"Mostly," Elara admitted.

"I'm pretty sure she wants to let me know, in her motherly way, that we're in no way ready to launch a head-on attack on Faedal's stronghold. Or beat Celeste in a stand-up fight," Rhys guessed. "I'm aware that the odds are heavily stacked against us, damn it. But this might be our only chance to catch her."

"At least you're aware that we're running headlong into danger," Borna said. "Here's hoping he won't realize what hit his forces before it's too late."

"We shouldn't let ourselves be dragged into unnecessary fighting," Elara cautioned them. "Either Faedal or Celeste will probably be more than enough to deal with."

"First, we should retrieve the Hand of Life," Rhys said. "If bad comes to worse, Elara can heal us easier."

"Provided the item is still there," Borna said. "How old is 'The Wind Charmer's Tale?' How many books have been made? How many adventurers have tried to find it?"

"Looking for it won't hurt," Elara said. "The shrine is opposite Skyview Keep, according to the maps we have. It's only a small detour."

Rhys drained his tea mug and rose. "You two get Chassari and whatever gear we'll need."

"What about you?" Borna asked. She carefully reached out and caressed Rhys' hand with her armor-plated fingertips.

"A few splashes of water to freshen up, new clothes and an quick talk to Idunn. Afterwards, we're off."

* * * *

Rhys found Idunn in the Common Room, hands clasped behind her back. The dwarven sorceress observed one of the windows intently. It showed a cavern, lit by pools of flickering firelight. The orange, unsteady glow revealed the smooth, rounded edges of square buildings, like dice polished to perfection by decades of use. The walls of the cavern had been lovingly decorated with painted friezes. Rhys saw bits and pieces of massive battles between armies, one side wearing golden armors, the other a mass of bared fangs and pointed ears.

"You wanted to see me?" Rhys asked softly.

Idunn sighed and turned away from the window. She indicated one of the tables, laden with food and mugs. "Come, sit. Did you have breakfast?"

"A bit," he admitted. "Did I make you wait long?" Rhys pulled a chair from the table and sat down. He poured himself a mug of tea.

Idunn joined him, taking the seat opposite the young sorcerer. "It's fine. I had a chance to see how things are back home." She picked up a mug of her own.

"Do the dwarves know there's a scrying eye in their cavern?"

"No. I'm pretty sure the Elder would not approve but it's a faster way to see if things are in order than sending messages back and forth." Idunn grinned sheepishly. "Besides, no one would dare inspect the gem sitting in the Forgefather's helmet for foul play."

"So, these windows are not just for decoration?"

Idunn shook her head. "No. They are meant as a means to check up on strategically important locations, besides Thurguz' far-seeing table."

"Even under the sea? I remember seeing a view from the seabed."

"That's one enchanted item which never reached its destination. The ship sunk." Idunn sipped her tea. "You probably know why I called you here."

Rhys smiled ruefully. "You'll probably try and talk me out of the assault on Faedal's stronghold, right?"

"I would at least ask that you consider every facet of your plan before rushing headfirst into danger," she said. "It's not your life alone which is on the line."

"Believe me, I know. Borna, Elara and I talked about it before I came here. They are as determined as I am to get Celeste back."

"No matter the cost?"

"I didn't say that. I'll try and keep a Teleport ready in case things go awry."

Idunn looked him over. "Let's hope you can pull it off better than your Dispel Magic yesterday," she said sternly. "If I had my way, you would train the next few weeks until you fall unconscious. Yes, you pick up on new spells very quickly but your execution is too sloppy. You can't rely on your quick wits and luck all the time!"

Rhys reached across the table and clasped Idunn's hand. "Believe me, I know," he said softly. "But do we know how long Celeste will be there? What if Faedal kills her? Or has her transported somewhere I can't scry? Now is the best -- and maybe only -- chance we have to get her back. If she slips from our hands, we might never see her again and Hilgrun's death will go unpunished. Do you want that?"

Idunn sighed. "No. I want to see her answer for what she has done. Not only to Hilgrun but Zentam too." She pulled her hand free.

"How is he?" Rhys asked, taken aback by the fiery stare in his teacher's eyes.

Idunn chuckled wearily. "Desperate to get out of bed of course. If he had his way, he'd be swinging his axe around and go hunting for Celeste himself. Not that he's in any condition to do so yet. His bones are slowly healing and the orichalcum braces are melding into his skeleton. With Elara gone, it will take longer for him to heal. I may be a decent artificer but without her healing spells it will be slow going. I wish your friend Astra'il would have stuck around a bit longer. Her healing magic would be a huge boon."

"She seemed desperate to get out of here," Rhys said. "I can't blame her, really. It was an awkward time for her to come here to begin with and her failure to resurrect Hilgrun must have been embarrassing."

"If you see her out there, tell her that it wasn't her fault. Resurrection magic is fickle even under the best of circumstances. Who knows what trickery was at work when Hilgrun passed away? With Desire meddling in our affairs..." Her voice trailed off then she looked up, straight into Rhys' eyes. "I can't make you change your mind, can I?"

Rhys sighed. "No. We have to do this as soon as possible."

Idunn drained her mug and rose. "Fine then. Meet me in the training room below. I need to get something from my room first."

"Understood."

Idunn strode from the Common Room, leaving Rhys alone with his tea and his thoughts. He finished his own mug and, nibbling on a breakfast roll, made his way to the training room. Haloryth joined him on the stairs.

"Good morning," the elven spirit chirped. "How are you?"

"Anxious," Rhys said around a bit of food. "I'm not exactly looking forward to meeting Faedal again. The man scares me even more than back at the village."

"You know that running away is a valid tactical option, right?"

Rhys nodded. "Sure. But not before we manage to snatch Celeste from his grasp. She's the sole reason for this whole thing." He opened the door to the training room.

"I would be flattered if I knew my friend was so hell-bent on rescuing me."

"Only to find out what the hell she was thinking when she killed Hilgrun. She has to answer for her deeds." Rhys sank onto a bench at the edge of the room. "You have no idea what a turmoil my own feelings for her are right now."

"Do you think you could raise arms against her if the worst comes to pass?"

"I don't want to hurt her unless I absolutely have to."

Idunn entered the room. "Then pray she comes along peacefully," the dwarven sorceress said. "From what Zentam told me, she didn't have any issues using lethal force. Here, for you." She unhooked a stout club-like weapon from her belt and handed it to Rhys. "Don't touch the head."

He took the weapon and inspected it carefully. The handle was wrapped with thick leather and the top ended in a cage containing a fist-sized chunk of a dull, grey stone-like substance. "Is this a weaponized Disjunction Stone?" Rhys asked.

"Yes. I call it a 'Rod of Suppression.' Ingenious, really," Idunn said, a flicker of pride in her eyes. "The magical energies drained from the victim or item it touches are used to keep the Disjunction Stone from breaking."

"How do I use it?" Rhys asked, hefting the heavy item.

Idunn scoffed. "You press the button on the hilt then you hit things with it."

Rhys did as instructed. When he depressed the metal nub protruding from the leather, the cage surrounding the Disjunction Stone folded open like flower petals, exposing the magic-draining substance. He shuddered. Even at almost arm's length, he could feel the stone sucking at the energies surrounding him.

Idunn continued: "Be aware that the suppression effect only lasts for some time, dependent on the strength of the effect in question. A well-executed Dispel Magic beats this thing in terms of power but this is by far the fastest and easiest way to shut down a magic user for a few minutes."

Rhys released the button, allowing the cage to snap shut again. "And you're giving it to me?"

"I don't want to see any of my students get hurt. And don't get me wrong, this is a loan, not a gift. I want it back once you've returned, understood?"

"Of course. Thank you." He hooked the weapon onto a loop at his belt. "Now what?"

"Did Haloryth teach you the Message spell already?" Idunn asked.

Rhys shook his head. "Not yet."

"Well, then we should get cracking. Without it, you won't be able to call down fire from the heavens."

"Or call for help," Rhys said earnestly. "Let's begin then."

"How well can you scry by now? Do you still use my crystal ball?"

"I can use any reflective surface by now, I guess. Why?"

"Because using a Message spell works in parts like scrying. After all, you need to be able to reach a particular person. Only with a Message, you won't be using a viewport."

"Does it help if I have an item connected to the person in question?" Rhys asked, touching the hilt of the rod Idunn had just given him.

Idunn nodded. "You catch on quick. Yes, having an item does help."

"How are we going to do this? If I speak my message, you'll probably hear it when you're in the same room. Haloryth said something along those lines when I asked her if I could talk to Celeste."

"That's one of the risks of using the basic Message spell -- anyone in the recipient's vicinity will hear it. There are more advanced versions only audible to the recipient but that's a spell for another time. Now, watch."

Rhys opened his senses and observed as Idunn went slowly through the motions of the spell. She gathered a fistful of energy and attached a strand of power to her lips. Then she seemed to mimic a Scry spell, sending out strands of power into his general direction. A moment later, Rhys noticed a tingling sensation near his ears.

"This is how you do it," Idunn's disembodied voice said close to his ear. "Easy enough, right?"

"You make everything look so effortless," Rhys said, grinning weakly. "What's the worst thing that can happen if I miscast the spell?"

"Unless you say something really stupid, not much," Idunn said, grinning. Then she cast a Teleport and vanished.

"Well then," Rhys said, locking gazes with Haloryth who sat on the bench he had vacated when Idunn had come in. "Wish me luck."

"Luck is for amateurs," Haloryth scoffed. "You're better than that."

Rhys steadied his nerves and gathered energy. Since he didn't know where exactly Idunn had gone to, he chose more than just the tiny fistful she had used. Connecting strands of power to his own body was not unusual, he had done it dozens of times when casting Armor on himself. Only this time he wanted to throw his voice over a long distance. With his free hand, he brushed the handle of the Rod of Suppression, imagining Idunn's concerned eyes.

"I hope this works," Rhys muttered. "Can you hear me?"

"You might want to add another strand to your ears, dear Rhys," Haloryth suggested, her index finger indicating the slender point poking through her silvery tresses.

He did as the elven spirit suggested, threading strands of power into the active connection.

"- might want to connect your ears as well," he heard Idunn's voice.

"I think I've got it," Rhys said. "I can hear you."

"Well, that's good news then." That was Thurguz' voice. "Well done, lad!"

"Now what?" Rhys asked.

"You might want to meet your friends down in the Entrance Hall. They're raring to go."

"Thank you. Both of you," Rhys said, with feeling. "I hope I won't disappoint the trust you placed in me."

"Just come back whole," Idunn said. "I'm sick and tired of losing students."

Rhys, his throat suddenly very tight, ended his spell.

* * * *

... to be continued in Chapter XIV -- The Shadow Beneath

Thanks for spending your quality time with me. If you enjoyed this twisted little tale, feel free to let me know. These star ratings and comments are the only way for me to see how well -- or not -- this story is liked. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

(c)2020 Blind_Justice