Mud and Magic Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Next to him, his soldiers raised their shields, sloppily falling into a fighting formation. He heard Kierkov intone some kind of protective incantation. Before him, Bai'Saedyth's face distorted into a mask of furious impotence. Her body uncoiled and she slid from the parapet. Fighting the impulses of the Dragon Stone every step of the way, she crossed the tower's platform, only to take a knee in front of Carver.

"You will die for this transgression," she swore. "The spell can't be kept up forever."

"We'll see about it in time," Carver said. "Until then... who are you again?" He exerted his will, amplified by the humming stone nearby. The half-dragon's defiance was formidable but, in the end, his willpower, combined with the ancient magic suffusing the Dragon Stone, shattered her resistance.

Bai'Saedyth lowered her head, her noble, draconic features distorted into a mask of disgust. "I am but your humble servant. For now."

* * * *

Dear Mirrin!

It has been a month since we defeated Faedal. I'm sorry it took me this long to write another letter but things have been a blur and this is my first truly free day in forever.

Idunn, Hagazz and Thurguz allowed me a scant few days of rest after we came back from Skyview Castle but then they resumed my training regiment as if nothing had happened. And to top it all off, my dear personal ghost Haloryth has joined them in torturing me with ever more clever ways to test my spellcasting prowess. Let me tell you, there were whole days I've lost to unconsciousness or sleep after they put me through the wringer. It seems landing a victory against the likes of Faedal only brings with it more and more training, to make sure the next powerful enemy will be easier.

That said, I dread finding Celeste. Since she sunk Skyview Castle, she has vanished off the face of the planet. We have used every trick at our disposal, normal scrying, asking the living and the dead, using Thurguz' table - nothing. As if she doesn't want to be found. But find her we must. Our good cleric has lost her mind and combined with the magical might Desire has granted her, she has possibly become an even bigger threat than Carver. I feel terrible for not being able to help her but I feel even worse knowing she is out there and probably harming innocent people whose only crime is crossing her path. So, please be careful, you hear? I'm sure your paladin sisters will watch over you but, should you leave the monastery, make sure to be safe, all right?

Don't be mad at me for another short letter but I have a gambling debt to settle with my friend Galdor. He is one demanding fellow, I tell you. And once you're a bit older, I'll explain in detail what this means.

Hugs from everyone at the Tower.

Love, your brother

Rhys

* * * *

The End

With Faedal dead, this arc comes to a close. Rhys' story is far from over though. There will be more (of course!), both side stories filling out some gaps in the narrative and more of the main thread. With "Mud & Magic" wrapped up, I will take a few months to explore other story ideas and finishing up long-lingering cliffhangers in other tales before returning to the Western Continent.

I hope you enjoyed the end to this three-year journey. If you did, please take the moment it takes to click one of the stars below. If you feel especially generous, why not leave a comment? Short of being paid to write, this is the only gratification I'll get.

(c)2022 Blind_Justice

1...5678910