Mud and Magic Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Iorek gulped audibly. "Am I dismissed?"

Faedal waved him away. He already had other things on his mind. It was time he and Celeste parted ways.

* * * *

Celeste sat up on the floor, wincing in pain. Her body felt like a singular sore, pain radiating out from her self-violated nethers. But there were other aches too, as if she had exerted herself furiously. She looked around.

Her cell, situated at the top of the castle's tallest tower, was in shambles. The table had cracked under some impressive onslaught, none of the stools or chairs were whole and even her bed had taken a beating, leaning precariously after losing most of the headboard and parts of the frame.

"Did I do that?" she muttered to herself.

"It seems that way." The voice was smug and it came from behind her. Snarling, Celeste came to her feet, grabbing a broken-off stool leg on her way up.

Leaning against the tower's far wall was Desire. Today she wore the form of a nondescript, middle-aged woman. The kind of face you'd see in a crowd and immediately forget. The signs were there though. The waves of unbridled power radiating off her plump body. And that irritating smirk.

"Mind your manners, child. Don't waste what little good mood I have to spare today."

"Oh perfect. More threats. What is it you want today? Offering more rigged bargains? Or did you enjoy my suffering while Faedal fucked his servant-slut between my thighs?"

"You are not the first of my clients to word their wishes in a less than precise manner and you won't be the last. You asked for power and I gave it to you. There are few mortals, alive or dead, who could rival your spellcasting prowess."

"And yet you forgot to mention that Faedal is immune to any worldly magic. Only divine spells can harm him!"

Desire shrugged. "You didn't ask." She made an elaborate gesture with her hand, waving away Celeste's complaints. "You could always negotiate another deal. I would be thrilled to have you as one of my priestesses. Think about it - the power of the mightiest archmages and my divine blessing. That pesky shawl you're wearing wouldn't stand a chance. And Faedal-"

Celeste raised a hand in a warding gesture. "Forget it. I'm already regretting the last bargain I struck with you."

"Really? And here I thought I was doing you a favor, eliminating your need for sex unless your dearest Rhys was involved." Desire tsk-ed. "You were so disgusted at your friends back at the tower, how their base urges dominated their every waking moment. You thought you were better than them, didn't you? And yet all you wanted was to shove your pussy into that servant girl's face. Or was it Faedal's majestic lance you were hankering for?"

"Go to hell, you manipulative bitch!" Celeste yelled, tossing the stool leg at the grinning deity. It slowly spun end over end, heading straight for Desire's face.

"Oh Celeste. Your temper will be the death of you." Desire raised her arm and stopped the wooden missile with a fingertip. It hung motionless in front of her face. "I was about to bestow a favor upon you, free of charge even. But now you've gone and insulted me." She shook her head. "Deal with your problems how you always do - by killing everyone in sight." She looked around as if she'd seen the devastated room for the first time. "Or by leaving nothing but rubble and ruins behind. See if I care when you call upon me next time."

There were no eldritch lights, no fumes. One moment, Desire's divine presence filled the room. The next, the stool leg bounced off the wall and came back at Celeste, hitting her straight between the eyes. Sharp wooden splinters bit into her forehead, one missing her eye by sheer dumb luck.

Howling in pain, Celeste stumbled backwards and crumpled onto the floor.

I'll go mad if I stay here for one more minute!

Despite her thumping head, despite her heart racing in her chest, she heard noises from outside. Playful humming then the sound of the latch scraping against the door's wood.

There was no hesitation any more. She snatched her makeshift club and readied herself next to the door which opened a crack.

"Good morning!" came Nasira's voice. The El-Abessini girl sounded fresh and awake despite last night's fuckery. "In the mood for breakfast?"

The door moved, pushed open by her barely-clad ass. The servant girl scooted backwards over the threshold, carrying a large tray piled high with fragrant bread, cheese and fruit alongside a pitcher.

Celeste aimed and swung the weapon with both hands, hitting Nasira solidly in the back of the head. The girl made no sound as she crumpled to the floor. The tray most certainly did. Bread and fruit flew everywhere. The wooden tray sang as it hit the floorboards. The pitcher survived the initial fall, spewing sweet apple juice everywhere as it rolled down the tower's winding staircase. On the fifth step down it finally shattered.

Celeste ducked back into her room and grabbed the white robes Faedal had left for her, tossing the garment over her naked frame as she made her way down the stairs. Pottery shards bit into her foot but Celeste was beyond caring. As if hunted by a hundred demons, she stormed down the stairs. Freedom was so bloody close!

* * * *

"Look, it'sss starting," Chassari hissed, tugging on Rhys' sleeve. He lowered the spy glass and gazed to where her purple-scaled finger was pointing.

The gray winter skies above the lake had taken on an ominous, orange glow, as if a malevolent miniature sun had sprung into existence behind the clouds. With an almighty roar echoing off the sheer cliffs ringing the crater lake, the biggest fireball Rhys had ever seen descended, an immense fiery tail arching to the north-west. A moment later, it reached the docks.

"That wasn't very-" Borna began.

The explosion caused a water eruption nearly as tall as the castle's highest tower, followed by several smaller but nonetheless violent detonations. Like angry thunder, the sound rolled across the lake, reaching their ears moments after the fireworks had happened. Thick smoke billowed from the impact point, obscuring the castle's reaction but Rhys could hear horns blaring.

"That's our cue," he said, reaching for Borna's hand. The crimson-plated woman offered her elbow instead. Chassari's hand entwined with his other.

"Let's go," Elara muttered into his ear, hugging him from behind. "It's now or never."

Rhys cast his Teleport and grit his teeth as the world moved around him.

* * * *

Suddenly, the floor bucked, tossing her off her feet. Celeste impacted the first floor landing with rib-cracking force. She shook her head, trying to clear the cobwebs and tears obstructing her vision. The door to the stairwell hung askew in its hinges and through it she could see Faedal's men rushing towards her right, towards the lake. Only then did the sound come back, muffled and distorted, a mishmash of yelling men, braying animals and off-key bugles vying for attention.

Gasping at the sharp pain from her chest, she dragged herself up by the rough-hewn wall, hiding in the nook between door and stairwell. As far as she knew, there was only one exit from the castle and it led to the docks, the one place everyone's attention was focused on.

I need to wait until things have died down, Celeste thought. And find a healing potion.

A singular sound cut through the mayhem, a scream so full of anger and hate, it even drowned out the chaos in the courtyard.

"Rhys!" That was Faedal's voice!

But... Rhys? Here?

Throwing caution to the wind, Celeste ducked into the courtyard. From her vantage point, she had a great view of the chaos. Coming down from the battlements, with Borna, Elara and Chassari covering him, was Rhys.

Celeste's heart skipped a beat. He had changed in the short time they had been apart. He moved with purpose, flinging blinding missiles of force this way and that to clear a path. His jaw was set in the same mask of determination she had seen him don whenever he had to walk back to the farm in his sister's old shoes, back to the abuse his father and brothers heaped on him.

Did... did he come for me?

Snarling, Celeste reached for her neck.

This damned thing has to go! It's high time I fulfill my promise and help him!

The velvety collar reacted to her intent, sprouting long, razor-sharp blades of shadow, threatening to slice off her fingers. Stifling a furious shriek, Celeste ducked behind a few crates and barrels.

At least I'll be here once the chaos dies down. We can flee together. Rhys. My Rhys.

Celeste hunkered down. From across the courtyard, surrounded by his men and clad in his black armor, came Faedal. As she watched, he drew his magic-eating blade, swatting Rhys' spells aside like mere annoying flies.

* * * *

Borna roared, causing the troops in front of her to flinch for one fatal second. The next moment she was among them, her talons and tail exacting a heavy toll on Faedal's men. Even if her hits didn't kill outright, the tendrils of negative energy shrouding her claws and stinger caused men to clutch their hearts and crumble to their knees in whimpering agony. Still, despite the havoc they had rained onto the lakeside part of the castle, Faedal had managed to bring way too many men for her alone.

Rhys gnashed his teeth and launched a wide bolt of lightning into the fray. The ring on his fingers pulsed with the light of four miniature suns, empowering him. Tentacles of crackling energies split off the main bolt, touching every armored warrior close by - except Faedal. The black-clad monster seemed untouched by the elemental fury Rhys unleashed.

Behind him, Rhys heard the hiss of Chassari's bow as she added arrows into the deadly storm of attacks they unleashed upon Faedal's men. Too many for Rhys' liking clattered ineffectively against plated armor pieces but each hit added another howl to the chorus of battle.

Elara was a growling shadow by his side, changed into the same monstrous cat shape she had donned during the battle at the toll booth - an event which felt like it happened two lifetimes ago, to someone else.

"Ah, if it isn't Rhys!" Faedal yelled, loud enough over the riot. "Men, give us some space, will you?" He made a gesture with his blade. "How's the leg, boy?"

The confusion caused by this order cost Faedal a couple more men but eventually even Borna stood down, taking up a position behind Rhys and to his right. He could feel her wary gaze caressing his back.

The young sorcerer raised both hands in a warding motion and remained where he was, a mere five steps away from the stairs leading up to the battlements. So much for my grand plan, he thought. So much for 'not fighting Faedal.' We barely made it into his castle. Now what, damn it?

"I won't fall for any more of your tricks, Faedal," Rhys snarled.

"Tricks?" Faedal saluted him with his blade. "Tricks? That's rich coming from the boy throwing magic missiles and lightning bolts. I also presume that the fireball which destroyed yonder pier was your doing so spare me your accusations!" He chuckled softly. "You have my undivided attention though. What is it you want?"

"We're here to free Celeste!" Rhys yelled. "I know you're keeping her prisoner!"

"And while we're here, we might as well put an end to your existence," Borna snarled, her tail carving a gash into the dirt behind her. She was clearly itching to resume the battle.

Faedal tossed his head back and laughed. "Celeste? My boy, you could have simply asked and I would have gladly given her to you. Alive, even," he said, locking eyes with Rhys.

An arrow hissed past Faedal's head, taking a few wisps of his pale blond hair with it. "Drat," Chassari hissed.

"You better put a leash on that snake-slut," Faedal softly said. "I am offering you a chance to parley and this is how you pay me back?"

Next to him, Elara growled softly and pressed her flank against Rhys.

"You could have attacked us thrice over by now," Rhys said, caressing the bristled fur between Elara's ears. "Why didn't you?"

"Two simple reasons," Faedal said, raising his left hand. "Reason the first: I did promise Celeste I would offer you the first strike should we meet in another duel." He licked his lips. "She was a very compliant research specimen afterwards." His gauntleted hand rapped against the metal codpiece of his armor. "Reason the second: Even with your glowing trinket and your friends by your side, your victory is hardly assured." His empty, bottomless eyes grazed each of Rhys' companions in turn. "I have a good grasp of your mettle by now, dearest Rhys. As you might have gathered by now, your spells barely tickle me. The teeth of your elven pussy cat might hurt - if she manages to get past my blade and armor first. Which leaves your purple-scaled assassin and the crimson monstrosity as the only real threats. I hold most advantages in this encounter and can allow for a bit of levity."

"Smug bastard," Borna muttered, balling her fists.

"Barking dogsss won't bite," Chassari hissed. "Ssso let him bark sssome more."

"You will let Celeste go? Why?" Rhys demanded. A pit of doubt opened up in his stomach as he slowly understood how outmatched they truly were. The only thing he'd be good at would be dealing with Faedal's men while others had to save him again from his own overambitious plan. I should have learned my lesson after the Hand of Life fiasco, he scolded himself.

"I have extracted all usefulness from her. After breaking her body and spirit during our first encounter, I enjoyed picking her brain after she had been blessed by our dearest Lady Desire. In fact, I was about to... release her from her torment before you blew up the pier," Faedal said. "She is head over heels for you, boy. And I am not so sure you're even able to last five minutes once she..." He made a rude gesture. "She killed half a dozen men when we met in the Elven woods, just like that."

Rhys exchanged worried looks with Borna then turned his attention to Faedal. "No matter what lies you spin, she will be coming with us. Hand her over."

"I'm... I'm here, Rhys." Celeste, limping and clutching her chest, stepped from the boxes and barrels she had been hiding behind.

"There. She's all yours." Faedal made a dismissive gesture.

Rhys barely recognized the former village cleric. Her hair was wild and unbound. Blood ran down from a nasty gash on her forehead. White robes hung loosely around her body. He could see a lot of skin and one large, dark bruise marring the area under her breasts. Some strange black cloth had been draped around her neck. It seemed to undulate of its own accord, like some shadowy, animated collar. But most of all, her eyes had changed. Gone was the sparkle of mischief or the glow of kindness she used to lavish upon him whenever their eyes met. The fires of insanity burned brightly behind her pupils. That has to be Faedal's doing! Or Desire's!

"No sudden moves!" Rhys snarled, more at the twitching soldiers around Faedal than the man himself. Lightning crackled between his fingers.

"Let her pass," Faedal ordered. To Celeste, he said: "I see you finally decided to open the door I never locked. Took you long enough."

Celeste spat into the dirt. "As if I could leave this madhouse without your permission," she hissed, never taking her fevered gaze off Rhys. "Is it really you?"

"Chassari, take her to the battlement," Rhys quietly said, reaching for his staff. "And mind the collar."

"What happened to 'whatever we do, we won't fight Faedal?'" Borna hissed. "Have you gone daft? Remember the last time you played at being a hero!"

"My knee has healed just yesterday, Borna. But seeing Celeste limping and hurting reminded me of all the things Faedal has done to us."

"I did not hurt her," Faedal said. "Not this time at least." An oily grin creased his cruel mouth.

"It doesn't matter," Rhys calmly said, laying a hand across his heart. His skin turned a dull silver-gray as it turned into living armor. "You raped my sister Mirrin. You killed Dara, Daffyd and everyone else in my village. You gladly raped and pillaged your way through the Elven Forest."

Elara bared her teeth in a furious growl.

"You helped Carver conduct horrendous rituals to bring undead into this world. Any single one of your crimes should be punished."

"And you wish to become Lord Justice's fist, smiting me oh so righteously?" Faedal bowed deeply. "Have at it then, boy. Show me what you've got."

I should better come up with a brilliant idea soon, Rhys thought. How can I deal with someone immune to my magic?

Rhys clutched his staff with both hands and stepped forwards, reacquainting himself with the weight of the weapon. It seemed lighter somehow, more willing to follow his inept swings. He chuckled wearily. Even Mirrin is a better fighter than I am.

Faedal's disdain for him was evident. The fallen paladin stood just ten paces away, his arms spread wide, inviting a hit. Like its master, the castle seemed to mock him as well, the singular tower piercing the gray heavens above Skyview Lake like a finger raised in a particularly rude gesture.

"Any time now, boy," Faedal said, rapping his chest piece. "If you're unsure where to strike, try my beautiful face." The men behind him erupted in coarse laughter.

Rhys' gaze returned to the tower. It seemed... different than the last time he had seen it before. As he watched, a raven settled onto a beam jutting from underneath an embrasure. Amidst a shower of crumbling stonework, the beam slid from its mooring, crashing to the courtyard below with a deafening bang. Even Borna flinched.

His eyes were drawn to the gaping hole the vacant beam had left behind. A long crack snaked through the stonework and around the tower's corner.

A ghost of a plan began to bloom. If direct application of magic could not hurt Faedal... maybe a few dozen tons of stonework could do to the fallen paladin what the ceiling of the Vasadil tombs had done to a horde of zombies? Even with my ring and my friends close by, I doubt I'd be able to have it fly over here, halfway across the courtyard, he thought, frantically planning his next moves. He knew that whatever he did, Faedal's retribution would be swift and violent and even with his newfound skill at sorcery and strength of will, he would probably not last more than a few seconds. He fell into his best approximation of a fighting stance.

Let them think I'll fight him for real. Rhys slowly advanced, bracing himself for any trickery on Faedal's part. But the fallen paladin didn't move, his mocking smile etched onto his pale face.

Five paces.

Borna moved. Even without looking, Rhys knew what she would do. He took a quick step to the side. Her claw missed his shoulder by a hair. "Hang back," he ordered. "Cover my back. He's mine."

"You are a bloody idiot!" Borna yelled. Her steps quickened, the hooves gouging craters into the dirt as she charged at Faedal.

The fallen paladin slashed his empty fist forward. His men moved to intercept Borna. Her claws and tail carved a bloody path but she did not manage to reach Faedal.

"Do you have a good plan or are you just trying to kill yourself?" Haloryth drifted into his peripheral vision. "I can't let you kill yourself, not in good conscience." The elven ghost moved closer, her intention of stopping him by taking his body hostage very obvious.

"Just be ready to help me when the time comes," Rhys whispered. He took a deep breath then charged at Faedal. A wordless scream of rage tore from his chest. Rhys' staff came down and impacted the black armor with an ear-splitting ringing. It took all his might to keep the weapon in his hands.

1...34567...10