Music Box Dancer Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So I've heard." I said.

"What we've learned," said Jack, "is that he's trying to find your sister, so he can send assassins to murder her." He handed me a file folder with a few pages in it.

"He's trying to get at Dr. Eckhart, too." I said. "You do realize I might tell Dr. Eckhart what you're telling me now?" There was no 'might' about it, actually.

"I hope you do." said Muscone. "What about your sister?"

As I read the file, I realized that while the information was necessarily scant, it also had some anomalies. So I said "She's on her own. Jack, look. I trust you, I trust your team, I trust the EAD, I trust the retired Deputy Director. But no one else. I am concerned that whoever gave this to you to give to me, wants me to try to contact Elizabeth, maybe by burner phone, so they can find her. I won't be playing that game."

Jack nodded. "That's what the DepDirector and I thought, too. They've been sending us several bait traps, and not just about your sister. We have one source that is very good at spotting those traps, but that source declined to talk about this one." I nodded.

"Okay, what else do you have?" I asked. Jack stepped out of the cube and pressed a button on the far wall. A moment later, I was surprised at the two persons who walked into the room. One was the retired Deputy Director of the FBI. The other... was Senator Richard 'Bill' Nunn.

They sat down on one side of the table, facing me and Jack, who'd come around to sit by me. "Go ahead, Senator." said the DepDirector.

"Don," said Nunn, "we talked earlier about Lloyd Feingold, the CEO of BigAgraFoods, and his apparent lack of knowledge about what was going on under his nose." I nodded, and he continued: "We had a meeting recently. Mr. Feingold told me that he'd been trying to do his own investigation, and was being stymied. He believes that the obstruction is coming from within... from BigAgraFoods President Mitt Bain Willis."

"Mittens." I said. "The guy who strapped his dog to the top of his car, on the outside of the car, and drove off on vacation. I despise people who abuse dogs. But I digress... you were saying, Senator?"

"Willis plans to run against me in the primaries when I'm up for re-election in just over two years." said Nunn. "He's pure Establishment, in the pockets of the big corporations and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, he's into Illegal Immigration like even Samuel Russell or Grahamnesty Collins can't hope to match. And he's the real power of BigAgraFoods. Feingold is, and always has been, just a front, a stooge."

"Anything we can do from a law enforcement perspective?" asked Jack Muscone.

Nunn nodded. "Feingold knows that a lot of the documents the Guardians of Justice hacked and released are actually real, and he knows some documents show underhanded connections between Senator Russell and Mitt Willis. Feingold is going to try to get as much of them onto terabyte jump drives and get those to us, or else we'll try to set up a link so he can transfer the files directly to us... to you, the FBI. He realizes that it'll be a one-time thing, that he'll get only one shot at this."

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"In the City." said Nunn. "At a safe, undisclosed location."

"With respect, Senator," I said, "that is a contradiction in terms. There is no safe location in the City, at all. I hope he has some good security with him."

"We've got people looking after him." said Nunn. "But I think we have to act fast, before Willis finds out what's going on and tries to stop us, maybe tries to destroy the evidence."

"It all sounds good." I said. "And the FBI is the team with the resources to help you, and help Mr. Feingold. So... what do you want me to do?"

"Be aware of it all." said the DepDirector. "I get the feeling that our FBI Consultant may be the one making the ultimate case and ultimate arrests in all this, more as a State agent than a Federal one."

"And we also were thinking..." said Jack Muscone, "... that you might be very good at distracting Mitt Bain Willis for us."

"Ohhhhh, so now you want me to walk into the trap for you!" I said with a sardonic grin. "Well, with all the crap from the Mullen probe going on, I'm not sure how well I can distract Willis... at least not by myself..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy!"

The cry was from my son Jim as he bounded up to greet me at the front door of the Mountain Nest when I arrived home at 8:30pm. I knelt down and hugged him, then petted Buddy, who had come up behind him.

Going into the greatroom, I saw why Carole had not come down: Selena Steele was sitting on one of the sofas, talking to my mother and to my wife Laura. That meant Marie was here, and that meant two girls were probably getting into trouble somewhere.

"Hello, everyone." I said. "Where are my Justice League heroines and their redoubtable dog?"

"The dog is coming up now." Laura said. Indeed, a handsome white-haired dog was bounding down the hall. He joined Buddy at the back door, ready to be taken out.

"Well, someone has me properly trained." I said, to laughter. "We'll be right back."

"Here's something of medicinal value for you, while you're out there." Laura said, handing me a Scotch and Soda. I took it with the dogs, and sipped it as I sat on the back patio, watching the last of the light of day disappear, to be replaced by the twinkling lights of the Town. I watched the dogs as they investigated their turf, then went and did their business. I tried to not think, to just clear my mind and meditate. I did determine that whoever created Scotch deserves a special place in Heaven...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"My father and J.P. Goldman wanted me to tell you," said Selena Steele as we talked while Laura and my mom got the girls ready for bed, "that the Council Members who were pushing for Teresa to be suspended suddenly backed off today. They're not sure why, but they think someone is planning something, some kind of ambush tactic."

"Anyone have any idea how the State Supreme Court may rule on Monday?" I asked.

"No," said Selena, "and both J.P. and I made some calls about it, under the guise of protecting the bank's 'interest', pun not intended. What someone at City & Counties Bank in the City told me was that everyone is shocked the State Supreme Court acted so quickly, and acted now. They thought the Court would wait until you, Don, had your round with the Independent Counsel before they entered the fray."

"Oh, I think I can understand that one" I said. The name of Judge Lorraine McGill was still powerful in judicial circles. But I also realized there was even more to it, and Selena's information was a cluuuuuue...

Part 6 - Music Box Dancer

Friday, June 15th. Mitt Bain Willis was in his personal office in the City, the office he used for non-BigAgraFoods business, the office that would be the central hub of his candidacy to destroy Richard Nunn and become the next U.S. Senator of this State, when he was notified he had a visitor. It was the Lieutenant Governor of the State, Graham Collins. They were peas in a pod when it came to being Republican Establishment Elites, both sharing a deep hatred for the Grassroots, the hardworking People of the State and the Nation.

"Hello, Graham." Mitt said affably. "I didn't expect to see you today. Can I get you some coffee, water?"

"No thank you, I'm fine." said Collins. "I happened to be in the City today, and I thought I'd drop in on you on my way home." Both men knew that was an outright lie; Collins's sole reason for coming to the City was to talk to Willis in the relative security of the BigAgraFoods President's office.

"I'm glad you did." said Willis. "What can I do for you?"

"I have a 'friend' that is close to the situation at the State Supreme Court." said Collins. "All seven of the State Justices agreed to the emergency meeting. The left-leaning Justices are going to protect that wacko Maxine Watts and the so-called 'Social Justice' groups from Commander Troy's lawsuits. He's getting way too close to the sources of their funding. The right-leaning Justices are going to protect the Independent State Counsel, but they'll have to concede victory to Captain Croyle. She beat Mullen; she's won."

"Not completely, she hasn't." said Mitt Willis. "We still have several avenues to pound her into the ground, legally speaking. And we're going to force the Iron Crowbar to fall on his sword for her, as well."

"Sounds good." said Collins. "But you need to act quickly. I also have word that the FBI is beginning to close in on Senator Russell. He's desperate to find a way out, and we'd love to help him be able to resign, but with that cocksucker Jared in the Governor's Mansion, it's not possible. Jared would appoint a Grassroots Conservative to the Senate, and that would be a disaster for everyone. The only thing worse would be if a Grassroots Independent were elected President."

"I agree." said Willis, not mentioning that he, Willis, was also feeling the FBI heat. "And things are going to happen, and fast."

"What are you going to do?" asked Collins.

"I think you need 'plausible deniability', Graham." said Willis, who then gave a huge grin as he said: "I'll just give you this hint: what is the Iron Crowbar's greatest weakness?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"My only solace in trying to get through all this paperwork," I said as I typed on my computer at my desk, "is that you have a lot more of it than I do."

"Thanks for the support." Cindy said acerbically, knowing I was teasing her. She was on her laptop, and we were going over some inventory issues regarding armor for our Officers. It was 6:30pm, Friday, June 15th. "Any new word on Teresa's situation?"

"The State Supreme Court was taking briefs yesterday and hearing arguments today." I said. "My attorney, Mike G. Todd, has not called me yet about it. He may still be in Midtown---"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my personal cellphone, a number that not many people knew. It said the person calling was 'BLOCKED'. None of my family, friends, or associates who could have a Blocked number would be calling on this line. Curious, I answered it, putting it on speaker for Cindy to hear.

"Don Troy." I said.

"This is Mitt Willis, President of BigAgraFoods, Commander." said Willis "I want to meet with you. Tonight. Come to the BigAgraFoods warehouse down on South Riverside Drive, and---"

"Why in the world would I want to come meet you?" I asked. "And especially there? If you want to see me, come to the Police Station."

We heard Willis chuckle sardonically. "There is no way I'm going to talk to you in that bug-infested place. And the reason you should come is because I have some very important information for you, about your Captain Croyle and about you. Now I'm asking nicely, Commander. Nine o'clock. Be there." The line went dead.

"Who the fuck does that guy think he is?" Cindy said, her red face contrasting with her platinum blonde hair and ice-blue eyes. "Calling the Police Commander and demanding you just be where he demands you be..."

"Yes, and that's the point." I said. "He thinks I'm the little guy, the local cop on the beat, while he's the Big Boy, future Senator, maybe future candidate for President."

"Harrumph." Cindy said, still mortally offended. "So you're going to ignore him, right?" She looked at me, seeing that I was in a reverie.

"Well, maybe I won't." I said. Then I said "You're just a paper-pusher now, so I won't ask you to come---" I felt the cold fire from Cindy's eyes; she was less than amused at the joke.

"We're officially partners." Cindy said. "Of course I'm going with you, since you appear to be thinking about going."

"I'll call up some volunteers to go with us." I said. They would not be Tennessee Volunteers, but they would be Orange... Blood Orange, the 'Section 31' of the TCPD...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A procession of several TCPD Police cruisers followed my Police SUV as I drove down Riverside Drive to the now-unused BigAgraFoods warehouse. Lt. Rudistan and Sergeant Morton had already reconned the area, and Myron Milton had flown drones around.

"Okay, he's in the large inner warehouse area." I said. "There are three armored limousines in the outer warehouse area, lined up and ready to bust through the warehouse doors to get him out of there. He's got two bodyguards in the room with him, three more with the limos, probably the drivers, and four more secreted in next-door rooms.

Cindy called in on Channel 5 Encrypted Radio to Rudistan, relaying that news and having him deploy the others in positions to intercept those security people if they tried anything. "Still," she said to me, "if they come all out after you, I don't know if we can get there in time."

"I don't think they will." I said. Needless to say, all of my people were armored to the teeth. I had on the 'girdle', more routine armor under my black pullover shirt, another layer over my shirt, and the light trenchcoat was armor-lined. About the same armor that I'd had on when I took on the Slender Man... armor that did me no good at all. I hoped for a better result this time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy, Rudistan, and I walked into the main entrance of the warehouse and down the hall to where we knew Mitt Willis was. We came upon the big room, which had a desk about three quarters of the way from us, and one quarter of the way to the doors to that outer warehouse and Willis's escape route. The room was very well-lighted.

Cindy and Rudistan stayed at the door as I went in precisely at 9:00pm. Willis looked up and saw me. "Ah, I knew you'd come, like the good soldier you're supposed to be."

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked, more of a snarl as I stopped ten feet in front of the desk. My lightning inventory told me that Willis had a weapon in a holster under the flap of his expensive, well-fitting suit; small-caliber, I thought. His bodyguards were wary, had on armor under their suits, and semi-auto pistols under their jackets. A lot more firepower, they had.

Willis turned to the bodyguards and nodded, and they retreated to the door to the outer warehouse. He then turned to me, and said "I'll make this simple."

There was a box on the desk, and Willis opened it. It was a music box, with a ballerina twirling round and round. The music it was playing was Frank Mills's 'Music Box Dancer'.

As it played, Willis said "What I want you to know, Commander Troy, is that you are like this little dancer here. You dance to my music, at my command. I hold the keys to wind and re-wind your little engine and everyone else's. I am one of the so-called Big Boys; by way of contrast, you're just a local cop, a puny ant to be crushed at any time you step out of line."

"You're boring me." I said, about to turn and go back to where I'd entered.

"Let me tell you then, before I let you leave, what I expect of you."Willis said. As I turned back to face him, he said "You may think you've outwitted the Independent State Counsel, but you have not fooled me. And no matter what the State Supreme Court decides, though they will decide in our favor, we are going to absolutely destroy Captain Teresa Croyle if you do not comply with my orders."

He continued: "In addition, we will come down on BOW Enterprises like a ton of bricks, and all to destroy your nephew's wife and your Police Officer. Only one thing... and one man... can stop that: you. Ms. Croyle very bravely saved your little daughter last Christmas, and I'm sure you feel indebted to her. The way to repay that debt is to save her from her career being destroyed, her being made financially destitute, and maybe even imprisoned."

The music in the box started over as Mittens continued: "All you have to do, Commander Troy, is meet with the Independent State Counsel next week, tell him under oath that you did harass those women under the Governor's previously-given orders, that you opened the investigation upon them at the Governor's previous request. Do that, throw the Governor under the bus, and Captain Croyle continues on, unharmed... and you also, Commander. And you also."

"Do you really think I'm going to lie to help you in any way?" I asked skeptically. "And if I did, you'd never leave me alone; you'd prosecute me for it."

"No, I said we wouldn't, and you may be assured of it." Willis replied, not fooling me one bit. Then he kept going with what he thought was his trump card:

"But... are you so disloyal, Commander?" Willis replied. "Are you so ungrateful that you'll allow Captain Croyle to be crushed by us? And your own life ruined? We're going to destroy Jared; there is nothing that can stop that. We will take him down no matter what, and I don't care if you have something recording that; it's a fact. The question is... how much pain will you allow your Captain to endure?"

"So that's it." said Willis. "Remember that you are sheep, and the Establishment are the shepherds. Know your place, do what you are told, and you get to keep on being a local cop. It is we who determine what the law is, and what justice is. Step out of line, keep thinking you are are a guardian of Justice... and we will show you and those you care about that you are wrong. Totally... dead... wrong."

"We shall see." I said, then turned to go. Frank Mills's Music Box Dancer now began blasting out of speakers as I walked through the large, empty room and out the door...

To be continued.

So, dear readers, what will happen? Will the Iron Crowbar save Teresa by falling on his sword and perjuring himself? And is he just a pawn of Mitt Willis and the Establishment Elites? Some answers, next chapter...