All Comments on 'My Indian Summer'

by no1mf

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
hansbwlhansbwlover 3 years ago

"She was my mom's younger cousin sister," - She was his 1 st. cousin once removed, not aunt.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
@hansbwl

A cousin is someone with whom you share one set of grandparents. Phrases like ‘cousin sister/brother’ are culturally evolved in India, where family bonds are generally very strong and a cousin is considered as good as a sibling. A ‘cousin sister‘ is a female cousin, just as a ‘cousin brother’ is a male one. So the mother’s ‘sister’ is technically the ‘aunt’ for the mother’s children.

That said, it would be nice if writers from India took the trouble to explain such nuances in their stories for the benefit of non Indian readers. That will help them garner a wider readership. Else they should use the conventional ‘male/female cousins’ to denote such relationships.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Well Hello..

Hey there, so this is the first story I've read of yours. I gotta say that the word selection is extremely perfect in accordance with the story's setting. I also liked your writing style. Haven't seen one like that in a while. So, first I'm gonna try to read more of your works to gain an insight on your writing style and then would like to discuss them with you plus ask some tips that might vome handy for me too.

If you're interested in helping me a lil bit then feel free to drop here

Mail = princeofpersia4601@gmail.com

bhojobhojoover 3 years ago

I think she was his mother's cousin.However in India a first cousin is also a cousin and a second cousin is also a cousin. so she could potentially share great grandparents which the boy's mother. Nice to see a story written by an Indian that is unabashedly Indian in flavor...

rightbankrightbankover 3 years ago
very interesting

of personal interest were the cross cultural similarities and differences.

thank you

KingCuddleKingCuddle8 months ago

You dearly love your vocabulary! Exquisite and precise. I choose not to say a negative syllable about style. It's yours. It's perfect. It's you.

I do wonder about, and recommend, exploring less thinking...and more feeling?

Fewer polysyllabic developments? More often feelings from the guts?

Congratulations! It's elegant and fabulous!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous