My Prom Date

Story Info
Finding a prom date
2k words
4.04
5.8k
2
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I first saw Vicki in 7th grade. Our only class together was 8th grade honors English. We knew each other existed. That was it.

By high school she stood 5' 4", with a slender build and black hair. Over the years Vicki liked to wear it a bit below her ear lobe. Sometimes a little shorter. Sometimes shoulder length. Her hair tended to cling to her head. She was nice looking. I would have jumped at the opportunity to date her, but we hardly knew each other and calling her out of the blue was a bad idea.

She was big in vocal music. I was big into band. As a result, our class schedules were on different cycles. The closest we got to interacting was passing in the hallways between classes.

By the time we were seniors and 18, Vicki had an attractive figure. I guess her measurements were 34-24-34.

At our high school in the Spring was a music variety program. The program was called Choralesque. We both were in our first Choralesque our junior year. Vicki had a terrific voice. She performed in several acts. I was in the band.

Choralsque was performed in mid-May. Rehearsals began in mid-April.

Prom was in late May. Hunting for a prom date began in April.

One day I was walking down an empty hallway. Vicki entered the hallway. She said "Hi Mike." I had a surprised look on my face. I said nothing. Here was a girl I would date given the opportunity. She creates the opportunity. I say nothing. Brilliant.

The next day the same thing occurred. Same circumstances. Same hallway. Same response from me. Same brilliance from me.

After getting home school that afternoon I gave myself a pep talk. That night I was going to give her a telephone call, ask for forgiveness for not saying anything to her and see if she would like to meet for a study break.

Around 7:30 PM I grabbed our plug-in telephone, retreated to my bedroom and gave Vicki a telephone call.

I called her telephone number. It rang once, twice. She picked up the receiver.

"Hello" she said in her velvety alto voice.

"Vicki, it's me Mike, please don't hang up. I want to apologize for my behavior these past 2 days."

There was a pregnant pause. It seemed like a long time. It was only a second or two. I heard her exhale.

"Thanks for calling. From the expression on your face, I could tell you were surprised." Vicki said.

I replied. "I must confess I was surprised you spoke to me. I'd like to take you out and here I am blowing the opportunity. I'd like to apologize in person. Can I meet you for a study break?"

"Ahh, sure. When and where?"

"There is a Taco Tico on East Douglas. I how about we meet in 30 minutes?"

"Great, make it 45 minutes." I detected positive vibes in her voice.

"See you then."

The Taco Tico was out of our high school boundary where no one would see us.

At our high school there was a rivalry between the vocal and instrumental departments. It was less than friendly, but not the Capulets and Montagues. We called them singers. I don't know what they called us. Mr. Nicholson, head of vocal music, was a legend in his own time. He was one of the best vocal music teachers in the state. He was a great promoter and politician. Mr. Luttrell, head of band and orchestra, was solid. He was one of the better band teachers. The vocal music department had more students than the band and orchestra. And more prestige. But if you would compare the top guys on band with the top singers we were better grade wise, talent wise, etc.

Because of the rivalry it was best for Vicki and I to meet on the sly. Peer pressure and all that could result. Hence, meeting at a Taco Tico outside of our high school area.

Twenty-five minutes later I headed out. I arrived at the Taco Tico 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I ordered a Sprite and sat down at a table. Vicki arrived five minutes later.

She was wearing a flared denim jumpsuit with a dark blue and white paisley scarf tied around her neck. I could see she touched up her makeup. She looked great.

As soon as she entered the restaurant I sprang to my feet. I had a smile on my face. Not a beaming smile, but a smile showing teeth.

"Hi Vicki. I appreciate you giving me another chance. You look great. Can I get you something to drink?" I detected a hint of perfume.

"Sure, I'll take an iced tea."

I got Vicki an iced tea and sat down at our table.

We chatted about school and the upcoming Choralesque.

Then I made my second faux pas of the day, third in two days.

"I know you have two brothers, but I don't know anything about your folks."

"My dad works at Boeing and my mom died of breast cancer last year."

Ohhhhhh. I felt bad.

"Vicki, I'm terribly sorry. I had no idea. I don't know where I would be without my mom."

She reached across the table. Her right hand grabbed my left hand. She put my left hand in a death grip.

She looked at me. Her eyes got glassy, but no tears, no sniffles.

"It's been tough. I miss her."

To save the moment I changed conversation direction.

"Where do you see yourself in one year?'

Vicki instantaneously relaxed. Her shoulders drooped. She released my hand.

"Next year I'm going to Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas. Heard of it?"

"Yes, I have. But I know nothing about it."

"It's a Christian school with an honor code, dress code and daily chapel. While attending Harding there is no pre-marital sex. Alcohol and drug consumption on and off campus are grounds for dismissal. It's the school I've wanted to attend for years."

I knew she was a nice girl, but there will be no going out for a beer. I could live with that. I was not going to let my fondness of 3.2 beer get in the way of dating a quality female.

"That's great to hear you are excited about college next year, I hope it is the perfect place for you."

"I'm excited. And you?"

"I am attending K-State. I've decided to go the fraternity route. I've been going to Manhattan for weekend rush parties this semester."

We resorted to small talk. It was pleasant getting to know her. Time flew by. Before we knew it the Taco Tico crew told us they were closing. It was 9 o'clock.

We stood outside the restaurant. I asked if she would like to go to a movie Friday night. She said sure.

"Because of the vocal, instrumental rivalry it's in our best interests to keep this quiet."

"I agree." Said Vicki.

"I'll find a movie to see at Twin Lakes or the southside of town."

"Sounds good. By the way, when did you first want to take me out?"

"Since 7th grade I wanted to take you out, but when I saw you on a date with David Estep last year my interest was renewed."

"OK." She replied. "He became a druggy after we started dating and I dropped him. I wish I would have said something to you last year."

"Me too. Estep was a fool for choosing pot over you."

"Thanks!" Vicki gave me a peak on the cheek. She was beaming.

We parted ways.

Friday, we went out for a movie and pizza. The conversation flowed smoothly. We kissed briefly to end the evening.

We did the same the next Friday. Things were going so well I asked her to prom. Vicky readily accepted. She was all smiles.

I knew her recently friendliness was due to the upcoming prom. So what? She was good looking, had a good figure, was easy to talk to and pleasant to be around. And I wanted to go to prom.

Meanwhile, we kept our dating a secret at school. During Choralesque rehearsals and the show itself we flashed smiles at each other when we crossed paths. No one suspected a thing.

The big day arrived. I was wearing a two-tone blue tux, stylish in 1976. I purchased Vicki a white corsage.

When I picked her up she looked heavenly. Vicki was wearing a light peach colored full-length dress with a high neckline, very popular that year. Her makeup and hair were perfect.

We dined at a local high dollar steak restaurant.

Once we entered the ballroom heads turned. No one expected a band member to take a vocal musician to prom.

Once we got seated at a table the band finished tuning up and played the first song.

Vicki grabbed my right hand and said "Let's go!" We hit the dance floor.

She danced in several Choralesque acts over the past 2 years. But being up close and personal I saw how good a dancer Vicki was.

The rest of the evening we danced the night away, except for band and refreshment breaks. Soft drinks, iced tea and water were the only items available.

Prom ended at 11:00 PM. She was still energetic. I was less so.

We chatted a bit on the way to her home. Mostly we decompressed from the evening of dancing and listened to the radio.

On her home's front porch, we had our first really deep kiss. I don't know how long it lasted. She broke it off and gave me a bear hug. I don't know how long that lasted either.

Vicki broke the silence. "Mike, I had a wonderful time. Thanks so much for everything."

"I had a great evening too."

She took a step back. Vicki smiled. She gave me a peck on the cheek and went inside.

As I was driving home, I thought about the great time we had and had been having over the past month and a half. I thought more could come from this relationship, but our lives were going in different directions soon. If we got together later, it was meant to be. If not, it was not meant to be.

Over the summer we went out every 2 or 3 weeks. In August we went our separate ways, Vicki to Harding, me to Kansas State.

During Christmas Break I gave Vicki a call. We went out for our standard movie and pizza date.

During the pizza I asked "How is the dating scene at Harding?"

She tilted her head down and to the right shyly. A beaming smile came on her face.

"I met a guy. His name is Chris. He's terrific."

"Is he the one?"

Vicki raised her head, looked me in the eye, still beaming and said "I think he is."

"Chris is one lucky guy."

"Thanks."

When I took her home, she gave me a big hug.

That Spring I went home to see Choralesque. I saw Vicki with whom I presumed was Chris before the show.

I walked up to them. "Hi Vicki. It's nice to see you."

"Oh, Mike it's great to see you! This is my boyfriend, Chris."

The way they were gripping hands I could tell there was something special between them.

"Nice to meet you." I said. Chris and I shook hands. The three of us chatted for a bit. We parted prior to show time.

That's the last time I saw Vicki.

I heard through the grapevine she and Chris married right after college graduation. Vicki became a vocal music teacher and had 2 children. Her life was great.

Then she got breast cancer, like her mother. Vicki fought it and the cancer entered remission.

She had another child, but within a year the cancer came back.

She fought the cancer again, But it metastasized. Four years later Vicki passed away. She was 39. Life can be so unfair.