My Sister's Keeper Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I made up my mind. If Katherine survived this, we would be in each others lives from now on. I would not let her drive me away again. Love me or hate me, she was going to have to realize she was stuck with me, til our dying day.

As if from a long distance, I heard my mother calling my name,

"James. James. Baby boy, do you hear me?"

It finally penetrated through to my brain that I was being called and should probably respond. I sat up a bit and re-focused my vision to see all three of them watching me, worry in their eyes. "Yeah Mom, I hear you. Sorry about that I guess I was in my own little world."

Mom leaned forward offering me a tissue, "Here ya go sweetheart, I think you might need this."

I was confused by her statement and I guess my expression showed it.

"For your face, baby. Nevermind."

She came over to sit beside me and began to wipe my cheeks and jaw with the tissue. That's when I realized that tears were streaming down my face. When the tissue was soaked and the tears still flowed, Mom gave up, wrapped her arm around my neck and pulled my head onto her shoulder, gently shushing me.

Shortly I noticed more tears, except they weren't mine. Mom's tears were running down her checks to mingle on my face with my own. This was all wrong. I was the second man in the house. It was my job to comfort my mother, to take care of her in times of tragedy. I was failing miserably, but I couldn't resist mother's comforting hand on my face. I gave up resisting and lay there soaking up her love.

"Don't worry sweetheart, you sister is going to be fine. She has to be. You love her so much don't you baby. Don't worry, we'll bring her home and we'll heal her body and her heart. And if she goes right back to her old self, we'll just keep loving her anyway. We'll keep chipping at that wall til we knock it down just like Jericho. Katherine's going to be fine, you'll see."

**********************************

I don't know how long Mom and I sat together like that. I think she needed to hold me as much as I needed to be held. Eventually we got our emotions under control. Embarrassed by my public display of weakness. I sat up straight and tried to look like it never happened. After Mom took her arm from around me, she leaned heavily against my shoulder and proceeded to make small talk with Dad.

I listened in to their conversation, responding appropriately when addressed. However I was still uncomfortable about my earlier behavior so I was trying to avoid drawing attention to myself. That's about when I heard someone call Dad's name. All of us looked over to see the county sheriff standing next to a state trooper.

"Sam, I hate to bother you at a time like this but I have something to discuss with you. Would you mind joining us over here for a few minutes?"

Due to the family business, there were very few elected officials in city or county government Dad didn't know. The sheriff had been to a couple of gatherings held at our house for local big wheels.

"Hey Sheriff. You can talk to all of us."

"I'd really rather not Sam. This is pretty serious."

Dad looked at Mom and I, "I'll be right back."

When Dad approached the two officers, they moved further from us, taking Dad with them. Mom and I watched as the sheriff appeared to introduce the trooper. Both men looked somber as the trooper began to talk quietly. Dad's back was to us so we couldn't see his face.

"What do you think is so important, Mom? It was an accident. Worst case scenario she gets a few tickets. I think that's the least of our worries right now."

Mom seemed pensive, like I was missing something. "I don't know Son. Something tells me there's more to this than traffic tickets."

"What do you think it could be?"

"It could be a number of things, we'll just have to wait and see what your Father has to say."

Dad turned towards us as all three men walked our way. Something in Dad's body language told me things were about to get much worse. Mom must have sensed it as well. She grabbed my hand and stood up pulling me with her. I had no idea my mother had such strong hands. I could sense her fear through her painful grip.

It seemed to take forever for the men to reach us and stop. Dad stood next to Mom wrapping his arm around her waist pulling her close to him. Mom released my hand and wrapped both arms around my Dad's waist, holding him as tightly as she could.

The trooper began to speak, "Good morning ma'am. I am Trooper William Harris. I was lead investigator on your daughters accident. I'm afraid I have some bad news to give you."

Mom looked up at Dad with pleading eyes. Dad pursed his lips, gently stroked mom's cheek as if to say I'm here for you.

"Unfortunately there was another vehicle involved in the accident this morning. Crime scene evidence indicates Katherine ran the stop sign at Cave Spring Road and 431 striking a mini van broadside at about 60 miles an hour."

Mother began to shake a little. Dad looked down at her and pulled her tighter into his side.

"There were four occupants in the van. The father was driving, the mother was in the passenger seat, and their children, a five year old boy and a two year old girl were riding in the second row seat. I'm afraid none of the occupants survived the accident."

The trooper was silent, and bowed his head. "I know you must be very worried about your daughter right now, and I am very sorry to have to bring you this news."

Mother finally had all she could take and sobbed uncontrollably into Dad's chest. For the first time in this nightmare, I could see tears streaking down Dad's face. I think I was in denial, or maybe shock. I was certain this couldn't be real. Somebody made a mistake. They confused Katherine with someone else. There was no way in the world my sister actually killed anybody, much less four people...two children. No fucking way in hell. This shit was not happening.

Dad put his off hand on Mom's cheek, "It gets worse baby."

"How the fuck could it possibly get any worse?"

Dad nodded at the trooper, "Ma'am, preliminary investigations indicate that Katherine was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident."

"Oh dear God." mother sobbed, "What's...What is...I don't"

The sheriff delivered the knock out blow, "If her blood alcohol content is found to be above the legal limit, Katherine will be charged with four counts of intoxicated manslaughter."

Mom began to slide down dad's side as her legs refused to support he any longer. Dad swiftly slid his free arm behind Mom's knees and lifted her like one would a new bride. Mother wrapped both arms around dad's neck, buried her face in his neck and wailed like a child.

Dad sat down with Mom in his lap and put one hand behind her head, the other arm still supporting her back. He cried softly with her, whispering reassurances into her ear.

I just stood there with my mouth working, trying to form any kind of coherent word. I was unable to wrap my head around what I had just been told. I got angry, furious. How dare these ignorant PIGS lie about my sister. They're out of their friggin' minds.

Suddenly my brain seemed to regain control of my mouth. This was not a good thing because it did not have any control over what came out of it.

"You ignorant fuckers are bat shit crazy! Crazy! You're all fucking crazy! What kind of drugs are you on? You want to send Katherine to prison for the rest of her life? Fuck, she'd be better off if she doesn't come out of surgery!"

I know now that I was completely out of line. Worst of all, I was saying things that were devastating to my mother. She had finally broken down and now her son was screaming profanities at the police and suggesting that her daughter would be better off dead.

I was out of my mind. I had no thought about what effect my words had on those around me. I just had the need to lash out. Somehow I retained enough sense to avoid violence. I have never reacted like I was before or since. To this day I don't know what came over me.

My father, the rock on which this family is built had enough of my tantrum, "GOD DAMMIT JAMES, SHUT THE FUCK UP! Can't you see what you're doing to your mother? Get yourself under control, RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"

When I looked I could see it. Mom's sobs had turned into deep racking sobs that contorted her whole body. With that guilt on my conscience along with everything else, all I could think of was to get out, get away from all his insanity.

"But Dad, they're crazy, completely off the rails."

"Enough James! If you can't control you mouth, you need to find someplace else to be until you can."

"FINE"

Somehow Jaclyn was by my side, she had my hand in hers, "Come on sweetie, lets go for a walk." she suggested, love and concern for me in her voice. But I was still out of control.

"Fuck off!" I snatched my hand out of hers and stormed out of the room, no idea where I was going. I didn't get far before I realized I could hear Jaclyn's heels clicking along behind me trying desperately to catch up.

Feeling guilty for snapping at Jaclyn I stopped and waited for her. In a few seconds she was looking up at me with a brilliant smile, trying hard to hide her heavy breathing. She took my hand again, twining her fingers into mine so I couldn't snatch it away again without the risk of hurting her. She knew me well enough to know I would never hurt her so I was well and truly caught.

"Thanks for waiting, where are we going?"

"Jaclyn, I really don't think I should be with people right now. I'm not fit company."

Jaclyn put her hand on my chest, "And I don't think you need to be alone right now. So you're stuck with me. I'm not turning loose of your hand. Now, where are we going?"

Her beautiful smile and persistence broke through the wall I was trying to keep raised against everybody. What could you do? How do you say "No" to that?

So I resumed walking in the same direction I was, but at a much slower pace to accommodate four inch heels paired with a pencil skirt.

"I have absolutely no idea. I'm just walking."

"Cool." was her only response. She began to swing my hand like a teenager. I actually find that annoying. But after the way I'd acted, I didn't have the heart to tell her.

We must have looked like quite a pair roaming the streets near the hospital. Jaclyn is definitely a MILF. She's in her mid thirties, about 64 inches tall, brunet hair and light brown eyes. She's walking along with 19 year old like a young girl on a first date with a boy she's been chasing for a while. At first she didn't talk, just walked along side, letting me think, and try to wrap my mind around what the cops told us.

Eventually she must have sensed I was ready for a little conversation and began to test the waters. The more positively I responded, the more she talked until we were now talking constantly. The more we talked the more I dealt with the issues I struggled with. By the time we were on our way back to the waiting room I was calm but felt like a complete heel for my behavior. By then I was ready to face my parents and try to make amends for the heartache I'd inflicted on my mother.

CHAPTER 3

When we arrived at the waiting room it was beginning to fill up with family. I don't know about the rest of the country, but down south when someone is waiting in a hospital, family and friends show up to wait with them. All four of my grandparents were here, a couple of aunts and uncles, a few cousins and some family friends. Over the next couple of hours we'd probably have the entire room looking like a family reunion. It's just what we do. During a tragedy like Katherine's accident, we support each other. It's good to be surrounded by family and friends at these times.

We keep each other company to alleviate the boredom, support each other emotionally, provide a shoulder or an ear, or both if needed. And when the doctor comes out to tell the family how things went, we are there to share in your joy, or support you through heartache. Over the course of a lifetime you spend many long boring hours in hospital waiting rooms, but we wouldn't have it any other way.

When I strolled through the door hand in hand with a new, sexy, elegant brunette swinging a fine ass resting on amazing legs, some family member is going to make it a big deal about it. As usual it was Dad's older brother, William.

"Damn James, who's the new girlfriend, where you been hiding her?"

I expected Jaclyn to turn me loose like I was a hot coal. Surprisingly she grasped my arm with her free hand and pulled in close to me, blushing furiously.

"This is Jaclyn, Dad's executive assistant and my mentor until I start classes." I decided not to address the girlfriend question. Keep 'em guessing. Jaclyn looked up at me, winked, released my hand and went to shake uncle William's hand.

Jaclyn would have to endure being paraded in front of the family, meeting everyone, hugs all round. Will was happy to take her on his arm and escort her through the introductions. Jaclyn was taking it all in stride, shaking hands, talking, laughing, consoling, and hugging as appropriate for each person she met. She was naturally social and amazing with people. No doubt that's why Dad went to great lengths to keep her around.

I scanned the room and spotted Mom not far away talking to her mother near the door. I made a b-line for them. My grandmother saw me first and lit up with with a smile, "James, there you are honey! How are you managing? I know how much you love your sister despite...everything" Her look had changed to one of concern.

"Honestly I'm having a tough time with it. I'm sorry I wasn't here when you arrived. I just had to walk of my...I don't know...worry? I expressed myself inappropriately, at a bad time and I really need to apologize to Mom."

Mom gripped my upper arm and looked up into my eyes, "Sweetheart you were upset just like the rest of us. You don't need to apologize to me. What the sheriff told us...hit us all hard. Do you feel better after your walk?"

We were now standing face to face, and quite close to each other. My grandmother slipped quietly away to allow us to talk, "I do need to apologize, Mom. That was unacceptable, I was an ass and I am so sorry. I would never hurt you intentionally, but right then I was hurt and angry and all that pain just spilled out of my mouth. I took it out on people who didn't deserve it, and I made your grief that much more difficult to handle. I love you so much and I am so sorry I hurt you!"

Mother wrapped her arms around my neck pulled me down to kiss my cheek. Then she whispered in my ear, "I love you too Son, and I forgive you, I'll always forgive you baby."

Mom easily transitioned from her hug to nestling herself under my arm and wrapped hers around my waist pulling me in tight.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, looked up and saw Dad smiling at me. "How you feeling son?"

"I'm under control again Dad. Look, I am so..."

Dad shook his head, "It's over, let's just let it drop, Okay?"

"Okay, thanks."

Dad clapped me on the shoulder a couple of times, "We'll get through this Son, just like we always do, together." With that he walked away, apparently to rescue Jaclyn, if she wanted to be rescued. She really looked like she was in her element, flitting around the room delivering words of hope and comfort. Dad filled his life with amazing people, Jaclyn was one of them.

Katherine was in surgery over twelve hours. The ER doc visited us occasionally. Just to let us know she hadn't forgotten about us I think. Her message was always the same, surgeries were progressing as expected, but there was still much to do.

Around 8:00 a new doctor came in to see us. Everybody gathered around, dead silent waiting for the man to speak. "I'm doctor Risoli, I was lead surgeon for Katherine today. Your daughter is out of surgery and under close supervision in the ICU. She is still feeling the effects of the anesthesia so she won't wake for several more hours."

"Katherine arrived with multiple injuries ranging from compound fractures to punctured organs to deep lacerations. I say I was lead surgeon because we called in several different specialist to address different types of injuries. We even called in a cosmetic surgeon to tackle the lacerations on her face. She will have at least three noticeable scars on her face, but the cosmetic surgeon did all he could to keep the scars as small and unobtrusive as possible."

We all listened intently to the surgeons words. Still no one spoke. I worried about the scaring, Katherine would be devastated. She always worked so hard to look her best.

The doctor continued, "We believe we found and addressed all her internal injuries. The broken bones have been set. If we're lucky, Your daughter won't require any additional surgeries."

"That's the good news. Katherine is still in critical condition. The next 24 to 48 hours are crucial for her recovery. Right now, I'd say she as a fifty fifty chance of seeing another 48 hours. After that, we feel she has a very good chance of fully recovering. Katherine obviously takes care of herself. She is young and strong. That gives her an edge. She's going to need it"

The doctor focused on Mom and Dad, "Are you Katherine's parents?"

Dad answered, "Yes sir, we are her parents and this is her brother."

"The two of you may go in to see her. No more than ten minutes. Do not disturb her, she needs rest right now, give her body a chance to heal. She isn't going to be conscious anyway."

Looking at me he continued, "I'm sorry Son, no doubt you want to see your sister as well, but letting two people in is a big enough risk right now. You'll have to wait a day or two."

I was terribly disappointed, but not surprised.

************************************************

Three days later, Katherine was moved out of ICU and into a private room, still under close observation. She was awake some now, but the painkillers kept her sleepy so most of the time she was dozing or asleep. I finally had my chance to see Katherine and I took it.

Dad was in the room with Katherine when I arrived. Mom was at home showering and putting on fresh clothes, afterward she would return to the hospital, Then Dad would probably go home to do the same. Both of them stayed at the hospital most of the time. One of them was always there.

When I entered the room, Dad was sitting in a chair next to the bed. Katherine appeared to be sleeping. Not surprising. Dad and I discussed her condition for a few minutes. The doctors were optimistic. Katherine was responding to treatment and healing as they hoped she would. She would be in the hospital for several weeks, but they now felt she would be released and fully recover with time.

She looked exactly like one expects the victim of a recent serious automobile accident to look. Her head and face was bandaged. Half her hair had been shaved to stitch a couple of deep lacerations. The hair would return and hide those scars, but she would always wear evidence of the accident on her face and the rest of her body.

According to Dad, the nurse just administered pain medication shortly before I came in. Katherine would be out for at least an hour, probably two. So I decided to go into the office and try to get my mind off Katherine's worrying appearance.

I waited a couple of weeks before I went back to visit my sister. Mom and Dad were both there this time. We talked about Katherine's progress. She was healing up nicely according to the doctors. The bandages were removed from her head, her hair was starting to grow back. Her stitches had been removed but the cosmetic surgeon was keeping them covered under smaller bandages to hold some sort of salve in place that was supposed to reduce scaring.

At some point Katherine wakened while we were talking, "Disappointed little brother?"