My Wife's Best Friend

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I suddenly had a cold feeling travel through my body as I immediately wondered why my wife's three best friends wanted to come see me. I had to ask, "Is she cheating on me, Josie?"

"No, Chris. But we do need to discuss something in person that I don't think we can handle over a phone call."

"You know I won't sleep tonight now, right?"

"I'm sorry, Chris. For the moment, it's just something I've been made aware of, and I think you need to know too. What time will you be home tomorrow?"

"Around five-thirty."

"I'll come around six with the other girls."

"I'll make sure I have something ready to eat then. The girls will enjoy seeing you too."

"Chris... Whatever we have to tell you, just know that the three of us absolutely adore you. Okay?"

I took a deep breath as I had a really bad feeling now. Josie, Angela and Claire were her best friends, but out of the three of them, I'd always been close and had a soft spot for Josie. As much as she was a close friend to Erica, I know we considered each other very good friends too. She wasn't just another friend of my wife.

"I'll try and act normal when Erica gets home. But I've got a feeling I'm going to be getting some bad news."

"It might not be easy to hear. Just trust us that... Well, we'll definitely explain it tomorrow."

For some reason, I didn't mention the fact that her three friends would be visiting the next day when Erica arrived home, and I wasn't particularly surprised when she told me that she would be working late again. Alarms were now blaring in my head that she was definitely doing something behind my back. There was no suggestion that she was actually cheating. I'd done my research about the usual signs. She was still as affectionate and loving as ever. Practically never rejected me when I wanted to have some fun with her.

I asked Mum if she could mind the girls that evening when I called her after Erica left for work. Mum didn't ask too many questions as I just explained that I would be busy. The girls were excited about the idea of spending a school night at their grandparents' place, helping pack a bag for them each as Mum drove over to pick them up to take them to school. My face obviously reflected something as Mum gave me a tight hug before she left with the girls.

Distracted as I was at work, my boss eventually appeared in the doorway to my office and sat down across from me. We were dealing with around a dozen projects, half of them for the state government. We sat back and chewed the fat for around half an hour.

"Okay, level with me, Chris. I've never seen you this distracted. Something going on?"

"I'll find out this evening."

He glanced away before meeting my eyes again. "Problems at home?"

"I don't know. That's what has me distracted."

"Doing the dirty on you?"

"I don't think so, but isn't the husband always the last to know?"

"Damned shame. I like your wife. Always looks gorgeous on your arm at our functions."

"Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing, but it's the fact I don't know. I'm having dinner with a couple of people tonight. I'm preparing myself for the worst, to be honest."

"And if she is?"

I released a deep breath. "I honestly haven't thought that far ahead. Our girls are only five years old. I don't want to give them a broken home at such a young age. At least men are being given custody more often nowadays, so I know there's a good chance that I won't be a weekend father." I took another deep breath. "We gave vows and have discussed fidelity, but when it hits you in the face, I've always wondered how I would deal with it. One-time indiscretion, is that forgivable? I don't know. A lapse in judgement. Maybe a drunken fumble. Perhaps you can get over it. Would probably take some intense counselling, and I'd wonder about trust. But an actual affair? Shit, I don't know how I would react. Would I just blow up angrily? Break down into tears? Deny it even if there's evidence? Everyone reacts differently."

"I hope it's much ado about nothing, Chris. Unfortunately, being a cheating bitch or bastard is running rife in this country. Just look at the divorce statistics. I hope you don't become another one of them, not when it comes to those little girls of yours."

"Thanks, Dave."

"You're welcome, mate. If you need to shoot off early, just do it. We know you're good for time."

I did knock off an hour early as I wanted to get home and just have a little time to myself. Sitting alone in a quiet house perhaps wasn't the best thing, eventually having a shower, turning on some music and preparing dinner in time for the arrival of Josie and the others. They arrived together at around 6pm, and from the looks on their faces as I hugged and kissed each of them on the cheek, I felt that cold shiver travelling up my spine again.

Pouring them a glass of wine before serving up dinner, we sat at the table and made small talk for a couple of minutes. I was sipping at a beer when Josie finally cleared her throat. I didn't miss the fact that Claire immediately took my hand in hers and squeezed it.

"Chris, what has Erica told you about her new job?" Josie asked.

"She's given me a brief overview of what her role and responsibilities will be. PA to the CEO. She'll get a considerable increase in pay. Her hours will likely be similar to what she's doing now, depending on work volume. No doubt some travelling as he travels nationally and internationally. I guess more of the parenting and emotional labour is going to fall more on my shoulders, and I guess I'm going to need the help of our parents a lot more too."

"That's not the only thing," Angela stated, and when I glanced at her, she did not look happy at all.

"Chris, I'm going to put this bluntly as it's going to be a shock," Josie added, "Erica has been talking and messaging us for the last few weeks, particularly since that party you guys had. She's not having an affair. But that doesn't make what I'm about to tell you any easier. She's accepted the new role. It'll become official at the end of the month. She's going to ask you to have an open marriage. She's going to approach it as being called ethical non-monogamy."

I felt my jaw drop as that was something Erica had never mentioned. We'd never discussed inviting another person into our bedroom. Never had an interest in it. Nor anything else that involved other couples or people.

"Why?" I finally asked, "Why would she ask me that?"

"Because she knows that she's going to end up fucking her boss, because her boss has pretty much told her that'll be expected of her."

"And from what we've been told, Erica accepted the job knowing this and figured that she would be able to convince you," Claire added, "She figured accepting the role would be a case of either you accept it or don't. Her opinion is that it's her career on the line and she's willing to do anything to make sure it continues."

I sat back and blew out some air, feeling Claire squeeze my hand again. "I'm guessing she's talked to you about it to get your thoughts?" I finally asked.

"It's safe to say that the three of us called her an idiot, that there's a good chance that she's going to throw away a wonderful marriage and husband," Josie replied, "But she's of the opinion that 'He'll be a typical man and think an open marriage is wonderful because he'll think about all the other sex he'll be getting'." Josie paused and shook her head. "She's counting on you looking after the girls constantly that she'll be out getting hers while you're at home all the time looking after the kids."

"And she believes you won't divorce her because of the girls," Angela added.

I glanced around the table. "Sounds pretty fucking cold-hearted," I muttered, "Does she actually want to have sex with this guy? I mean, I remember him as I met him a couple of times when I joined her at company functions. He wasn't all that. At least twenty years older to start with."

Josie sighed. "From how Erica explained it, his wife is fine with it because she has the same deal. She's a CEO at another company and apparently enjoys sleeping with both men and women."

"Fucking hell," I murmured, "So I'm guessing letting her know that her husband is a piece of shit won't work?"

"Unfortunately, she'll show not an ounce of care what effect it has on your marriage. Erica has apparently spoken to her more than once and his wife is all for the arrangement."

We finished dinner before I packed the dishwasher and moved out into the living room, a new bottle of wine for the women and I had another beer. Josie sat with me on the couch with Angela and Claire taking an armchair.

"Chris, Angela and I don't agree with this at all," Claire stated, "We've let Erica know our thoughts, but there is nothing we can do to stop her. All we can do is offer you support where possible."

"I love Erica, but I don't have the same sense of loyalty to her," Josie added softly, squeezing my hand, "I will be your chief supporter, Chris. I don't know what you'll do when she confronts you with this, but I want you to know that when you're ready to move on, there's a woman who would never put her career ahead of her marriage and family."

Turning to face her, she gazed at me with such intensity that I swallowed hard. "Are you... um... You telling me something here, Josie?"

"Just that if your wife is going to throw you away, there's going to be more than one woman who would love to pick you up, dust you off, and show you all the love you deserve."

"Yeah, and we know Josie will be at the front of the line and beating everyone else away," Angela stated with a chuckle.

"Look, Erica is our best friend, and it'll be hard throwing away decades of friendship, but that doesn't mean we can't show you friendship too," Claire added.

"When can I expect a confrontation?"

"Sunday night. She won't be stupid enough to do it before a weekend and make things awkward. Late Sunday night, probably anticipating an angry reaction. She'll drop the bomb then leave you to deal with it. Expect late hours all week. I don't think she'll start fucking him immediately..." Angela trailed off.

"Maybe you'd like to just agree to it," Josie whispered, glancing in her direction to see a sweet smile, "We don't have to have sex, Chris. But I'll willingly come and keep you and the girls' company all the time."

Angela snorted. "I'll take the sex, just not everything else," she stated to the amusement of the rest of us.

We continued to discuss everything for another hour so, not really coming into any decision except that I would sit down and listen to Erica on the night and just go from there. Angela and Claire left first, not missing the fact they hugged me a little longer and tighter than usual. Josie stayed around for another couple of minutes, walking outside to her car.

"She's an idiot," Josie stated once we were next to her car, "But she thinks that you love her so much that you will tolerate this. Maybe you will, but if you do agree to it, remember that you're quite the catch, Chris. And the most important thing is that she can't just go and forego her parental responsibilities. My advice is to document everything from here on out. Once you can prove that you provide the majority of caregiving, the chance of getting custody is higher. The days of women just automatically getting custody is in the past."

"Hopefully she pulls her head in before Sunday."

Josie sighed before she cuddled into me, and I couldn't help cuddling her back. I knew how much she cared about me. That night I'd turned up on her doorstep... I knew she'd nursed a little crush on me since then. "She won't, Chris. She thinks you'll back down and agree because of how much you love her," she replied, "My best idea is to agree but start getting ready for the inevitable. And there are a lot of women who will be happy to keep you company."

"Including you?"

She leaned back and smiled. "If she asks on Sunday, let me know and we'll go out for dinner on Friday night. Put a marker down that what's good for her is good for you. I won't let her know it's me. I'll leave that up to you."

"Do you, um... You know..."

"I'm going to lay it out later, Chris. Right now, focus on your marriage. See if you can make her see sense. If not, then give me a call. I'm just being honest in that she's going to throw you away. I want to be the one there to catch you when you fall."

I couldn't help smiling. "Thanks, Josie."

"You're a good man, Chris. A wonderful husband and father. I don't think she realises what she's going to throw away. She's in the fog. The excitement of something new and illicit. I have no doubt he's been in her ear about this arrangement for months."

"Explains why she's been so tense lately."

"Oh, she's admitted to worrying about this new arrangement, but she's thinking selfishly about it."

I was in bed by the time Erica arrived home. I feigned being asleep as I didn't particularly want to talk to her. She slid into bed and didn't try to wake me up, probably not realising I was wide awake as my mind was in turmoil. The rest of the week, I tried to act as normally as possible, most of my focus on the girls. I must have been a pretty good actor as while Erica remained tense, I was my usual laidback self whenever she was home, but I was looking at her with new eyes.

But she still hadn't said anything. I still loved her. Until she dropped the bomb, my opinion of her as a wife and mother wouldn't change. I was probably living in false hope that Josie, Claire and Angela were wrong. But they were also not three women to meddle in other marriages. I knew they were telling me the truth. That's what hurt, Erica talking to her friends first about it rather than her husband. I guess I could understand as Erica understood the consequences, but the fact they came to me first...

D-Day was Sunday night. Dinner was the usual easy and simple meal as no one really wanted to cook on a Sunday. The girls were well-behaved and were in bed early, their parents happily reading them more than one story before we each kissed and hugged them goodnight. It broke my heart that they had no idea that their lives were probably going to change immensely in the coming months.

Grabbing a beer from the fridge, Erica was already at the table with a bottle of wine, her glass already filled. "Chris, we need to talk," she stated.

I managed a smirk. "Ah, the four words that put the fear into any man," I deadpanned. In my pocket was my phone that I made sure was recording. I was prepared for this.

Taking a seat opposite my wife, I waited until she cleared her throat. And then she dropped the bomb. I knew immediately that there was no talking her out of the idea. She had the role and was going to do anything required to keep it. From the off, it was apparent to me that her career was now more important than her husband and family. There was absolutely no concern as to my thoughts and feelings on the matter.

"Of course, it's a two-way street," she stated, but the smirk raised my ire.

"Yeah, I'm home looking after the house and the kids while you're busy sucking and fucking. Really fair arrangement, Erica," I retorted.

"Simple fact is that this is something I want. I won't say my career depends on it, but the idea of having fun while I'm away appeals to me. If you really need your mind eased, we can discuss it with him and his wife."

That had me scoffing. "Please, you really think I want to talk to the cunt that wants to fuck my wife and his whore of a wife. Give me some credit, Erica. I see the guy, I'll knock his block off then make sure he ends up like Jimmy Hoffa." She returned a blank look as to who that might have been. "It seems to me that you've made your mind up and fuck what I think. Well, I'll put it like this, Erica. You do this, and there will be consequences. You're already an absent mother. You will now be an absent wife. Think about that."

"Our girls still love me."

"Yeah, but they're young and impressionable. Their mother is never here now. And it seems like she'll never be here in the future. How do you think courts will look at that when it comes to custody arrangements?"

Her eyes widened as I knew immediately that she never contemplated it. "You're serious? You'll divorce me over this?"

"Not immediately. Part of me doesn't want our girls to grow up in a broken home. But the days of fathers being expected to leave the family home, who are given limited access to their child, being expected to pay child support and spousal maintenance, of the women obviously coming out on top, those days are in the past. We may be no-fault in this country, but things are finally starting to even up for some men, at least. And you can bet your arse that I will fight you to the death for custody of our girls."

She gulped down a mouthful of wine and knew I was serious. As far as I was concerned, our marriage was already on life support. I'd just prepared myself for it. I wasn't going to break down and cry over it. I was angry. The rage inside had been building since her friends told me and I was doing my level best to keep it contained. Frankly, the only reason I wasn't slapping the shit out of her is that I didn't hit women. My parents raised me right, and I still remember that night at Josie's...

"I'll give you some time to think about it, Chris," Erica finally stated, "But there is nothing you can really do to stop it. This is going to happen. I want it to happen. I will still be the loving wife you've always known. I'll never do anything to embarrass you."

I just made a sound of disgust before standing up and walking out to the backyard. I don't know what Erica did after that. Once I was in privacy, I sent a message to the three women, attaching the recording.

J: Call me tomorrow, Chris. We'll figure things out going forward.

A: She's such an idiot.

C: We'll let you know if she gets in touch with us, Chris. But given that we were forthright in our opinion, I think she'll keep this to herself.

J: Will you let anyone else know?

I told them that, for the moment, I would deal with this myself. I would eventually have to tell my mother considering she looked after our girls. Whether I'd go and tell Erica's parents, I knew doing that would probably end the marriage. But given I was struggling to think that it was worth saving, I figured even some sort of intervention didn't really seem worth it. I knew Erica well enough. She wanted this and damn the consequences.

I slept in the guest bedroom that night. Erica didn't mention it the next morning though she probably noticed the silent treatment I gave her. When she came to kiss me goodbye, I turned my cheek and leaned back.

"Fine. Be that way," she stated in a huff.

"Try not to suck a few dicks on the way to work," I stated. She turned and glared at me. "What? It's obvious you want to be a whore for the company. Try not to be one for at least a little longer."

Her lower lips started to tremble before she opened the front door and slammed it behind. I chuckled to myself before I woke up the girls to get them ready for school. Once I was behind my desk at work, I called Dave in and told him what was going on. I told him that, for the time being, nothing would be changing but I knew that a split was likely inevitable.

Calling Angela first, I asked about the lawyer that she used for a divorce. I didn't want to divorce Erica just yet. What I wanted to make sure was that I was protected financially and regarding other matters. She gave me her number and I called her immediately to set up an appointment for that afternoon.

Calling Claire next, she was upset for me and thought Erica was a complete idiot. There was little that she could do otherwise though promised me her support in the coming days.