My Wife's Best Friend

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Angela also mentioned that all has gone quiet. To be honest, though, we distanced ourselves from the night you told us that she arrived home to tell you that she'd slept with him. Claire has pretty much cut her out of her life anyway. She was cheated on and knows how you're feeling. She's upset that such a long friendship might be over, but she's finding it pretty hard to forgive breaking your heart."

Taking Josie by the hand earned a smile. "What are you thinking?"

"That I'd like to see more of you, Chris. You're a good actor. I know you're hurting."

"I am, but the fact you three let me know did help me prepare for the eventuality. I thought my ultimatum would have forced her to pull her head in. I failed. Once she told me that night, I knew that was it. It was a flagrant decision to the detriment of our vows and the idea of marriage we once both held." I sighed and felt her hand squeeze mine. "You eaten? I'm starving as I wasn't expecting to come home to that."

As I prepared something simple to eat, Josie checked out the master bedroom to see what I'd seen. The bed was still made, and the furniture was still there, but all her clothes and jewellery were gone, and the ensuite bathroom was practically empty as I'd moved all my things to the main bathroom. I explained to Josie once we were eating that I'd just move back to the main bedroom as I knew Erica had never brought anyone back. I was home every single night, and she wouldn't have had enough time to bring someone back during the day. If she was fucking her boss or anyone else, they were doing it elsewhere.

Sitting back on the couch later, I smiled when she snuggled into my side, wrapping my arm around her. It was something we would do at her place when I visited her though only that much as I would follow my vows until the day I was divorced, Josie bluntly informed me that she would do nothing with me until I was divorced. I respected that decision and, to be honest, it made me like her even more.

Walking her out to her car later that night, she turned to face me just before opening the door to her car. "I'd love to stay the night, Chris, but I'm not sure I could handle that," she admitted, "The day you receive the Divorce Order, I'm knocking on your front door with an overnight bag in hand."

"Staking your claim early?"

"Chris, I know you're not oblivious. You know how much I like you. I warned Erica that, should she go through with what she's done, someone was going to snap you up quickly." She paused and added quietly, "I never actually wanted you to divorce, but now that you're separated and will be single soon enough..."

Taking her in my arms, we must have stood there and cuddled for at least fifteen minutes, my hand caressing her back as she would occasionally shuffle her head against my chest. When she eventually leaned back, I leaned down and kissed her cheek. I wanted to do far more than that, but I knew she wanted to wait. I did too, but it was difficult.

The hardest part of Erica leaving was having to sit down with the girls the next evening. Mum stayed with us as I explained it as simply as possible, the girls were now six years old and growing up way too fast for my liking. They were understandably upset that their mother had left. Thankfully, Erica did call a little later after the girls had bathed. The girls cried again as they missed their mother, and I heard Erica crying on the other end of the line. She promised them that she would be at the house on Saturday so they could talk. When she was done talking, I took the phone and walked out to the backyard as Mum watched the girls.

"Just so you know, I'm going for full custody, Erica," I told her, "You've left the home and left me to take care of them full-time. Everything has been documented. Not even the most man-hating judge in the land will give you custody now."

"I want you to have custody, Chris," she told me, and I wasn't particularly surprised, "I know I haven't been around all that much for at least the past year. I see how they interact with you compared to me."

"And all of this could have been avoided..." I trailed off and shut up. There was no point going on about it anymore.

"Just give them a kiss from me every night, Chris. Can you do that for me?"

"I can. Just come and see them as often as you can. And call them each night if you're not too busy."

Mum didn't leave until after the girls had fallen asleep. To say she was disgusted by everything would be true. As soon as I explained the situation seven months earlier, she bluntly asked if I was going to put up that bullshit and if I'd divorce her. I made her smile when I assured her that was exactly what would happen.

Erica was true to her word, though. She visited on the weekend, and I gave her time alone with the girls. When I arrived home just as she was leaving, it was obvious that Erica had been crying. She looked at me briefly, hoping for comfort. Realising it wasn't coming, she quietly wished me goodbye and walked towards her car.

She didn't manage to call every night over the next few weeks, but I was happy for the girls that she managed to call more often than not. She visited once every couple of weekends, usually coming on a Saturday and spending the day with the girls. There was no more playing happy families though. She could take the girls out alone or she could stay in the house and I'd make myself scarce. The girls were smart though. They knew that the days of Daddy, Mummy and the pair of them doing things together were now behind them. Just another statistic. Another broken home...

While Erica was with the girls, I would go and spend time with Josie. It's safe to say that we were practically dating except we did nothing physical with each other except holding hands when we were walking around. The affection was evident though. I loved making her smile, and her laugh was music to her ears. I didn't miss that she always made herself as pretty as a picture whenever we would meet. She had this graceful beauty that didn't require all that much.

I slowly started to introduce her presence in the house at the same time. The girls loved 'Auntie Josie' and I think they quickly figured out that their father had a new girlfriend. It was perhaps a couple of months before I could apply for divorce that the four of us were sitting down for dinner when Annabelle asked in that cute little voice of hers, "Daddy, is Auntie Josie your girlfriend?"

Amelia giggled next to her as I felt myself blush for a moment though I wasn't surprised that even at six years old, the girls had it all figured out. "What do you think, Auntie Josie? Are you my girlfriend?"

"I want to be," she replied softly, taking my hand and kissing my cheek. That earned more giggles from the girls. "Is it okay if I'm your daddy's girlfriend?" she asked the girls.

"You make Daddy smile," Amelia replied.

"And you make him happy," Annabelle added.

"Mummy didn't make him happy for a long time," Amelia said softly.

Kids just know things. I had to blink back a tear or two at the fact that they had noticed the collapse of our relationship and marriage. I'd done my best to protect them from the worst of it, but given that their mother had now left the family home and was now only seeing her once every couple of weeks...

Because of the custody issue, I had my lawyer deal with my divorce on the date that I could finally apply for it. Without children, a divorce in Australia isn't particularly difficult, at least if it's an amicable one. Agree on how everything would be split and you don't even really need to be in court on the day. With children and custody, it does take a little more sorting out.

On the day of the custody hearing, Erica turned up with a lawyer and she was as beautiful as I remembered. My lawyer looked professional as always. And Josie was with me for support. Erica didn't miss that and walked over. When she started to smirk, it wasn't anything mean. I think some words of warning from Josie were being remembered.

"Do you hate me?" she asked both of us.

"No, Erica. I just don't love you anymore," I replied.

"I'm just disappointed," Josie told her, "I know Claire won't speak to you anymore. I think Angela has forgiven you though."

Erica managed a rueful chuckle. "Messaged this morning to tell me that she was going to fuck my soon-to-be ex-husband." She glanced at me. "You're not going to fuck her though, are you?"

"No. Angela talks about it, but she knows that it's not realistic."

Heading into the courtroom, everything else regarding our divorce had been taken care of. I had the house. There would be no support from either of us. Erica was allowed to take what she wanted out of the house within reason. Finances had been split evenly. Superannuation and other retirement funds were left alone. It was as amicable as any divorce could be.

When it came to our children, I'd applied for sole custody though with liberal visitation for Erica. She could have them during the weekend and at least one night during the week. The one caveat I stated is that our children could not be introduced to named parties that included her boss, his wife, and at least three other men I knew she was now fucking.

The magistrate was clearly surprised when Erica's lawyer did not argue the custody requests put forward. She actually spent at least fifteen minutes grilling Erica as to why she wouldn't want full custody that it was bad enough that even my lawyer was ready to get up and suggest this was completely out of order. But when Erica bluntly stated that I'd proven to be the major caregiver for over two years and that the children were better off with me, she was left with little choice but to agree to what was put forward.

Mum was waiting with the girls when we walked out of the courtroom. The pair immediately ran to me, kneeling down to give them a cuddle.

"Go give Mummy a hug and kiss too," I whispered, "You know she'll always love you, right?"

"Yes, Daddy," they whispered back.

"Good girls. Go tell Mummy how much you love her."

Erica spent at least ten minutes simply cuddling her daughters. It was a scene to melt even the hardest of hearts, hearing my mother sniffle next to me while Josie held my hand. Despite everything that happened, I knew how much Erica loved our girls. I knew she missed them terribly. Every time she'd call my phone to talk to them, I knew she was crying once the girls handed the phone back to me. It was only in those moments that I was kind to Erica, letting her know the girls would always be there to talk to and visit.

After she let the girls go, Erica walked over to me. "I promise that I'll be there to pick the girls up when agreed," she told me, "Thank you for not preventing access to them."

"You're their mother, Erica. Our marriage might be over, but you'll always be their mother. I wasn't going to let what happened between us affect your relationship with them." I paused and added. "One thing though. That list of names. I mean it. Don't..."

"I won't. When the girls are with me, they'll only be with me. Everyone knows what happened. Let's be honest, anyone I'm with isn't particularly interested in our children."

"Are you going to remain at the apartment?"

"For the time being. There's a second bedroom that the girls can sleep in. I've already decorated the room in preparation for them coming to stay. I might look at something else in the future. To be honest, I don't really see myself dating. If my husband..." She paused and sighed. "I don't think there are many men who would tolerate what I'm doing so I think it's best I just stay single."

Josie surprised me by stepping forward to hug her friend. Erica hugged her back, and I was left wondering what their friendship would be like in the future. Although Josie and I had feelings for each other, I was technically on the rebound now. Leaping into a new relationship might not be the best idea. And I didn't want Josie to think that I was just looking for a replacement wife and another mother to my children.

Taking the girls home with Josie and my mother, I walked into the house and immediately felt a weight off my shoulders. It was finally over, and I could finally move on with my life. Mum kissed and hugged the girls, and gave Josie a hug, before she asked me to walk her to her car.

"You realise that young woman in there is in love with you, Chris," she told me, "The only suggestion I can make is to take it slow. Your divorce is now confirmed but give yourself a little time. Josie isn't going anywhere."

"I think Josie is aware that I'm going to need a little time. She's been a wonderful friend through all of this."

"At least the girls already love her so at least that won't be too awkward."

"Disappointed?" I had to ask.

"In you? Never. You did what you needed to do, Chris. In Erica?" She shook her head. "I'll never really understand why she did what she did. But what's done is done. All you can do is move on with your life now."

Walking back into the house, the girls were already in their room playing, keeping Josie's attention as she sat on the edge of the bed. Every few minutes, I heard one of my girls wanting her attention, eventually returning to the doorway to see Josie now on the floor with my two girls. She glanced up and smiled at me. Asking if they wanted a drink, Josie and the two girls followed me out to the kitchen. The girls knew about the no food and drinks in their bedroom.

I was rather surprised that the girls were calm that night when I put them to bed as I explained it as simply as possible that the life they were living now was permanent. They would live with Daddy nearly all the time and they would see Mummy on the weekends and maybe once a week. I knew Erica probably couldn't have them overnight during the week and already offered her the chance to come over for dinner.

Once they were asleep, I joined Josie in the living room with a glass of wine for her and a drink for me. I'd barely sat down when she grabbed my chin and turned my face to her, leaning into me and giving me a soft kiss on the lips.

"Don't get your hopes up too quickly," she told me, "You might be single now, but we're not rushing anything. You need time to properly heal. The only thing is that I'm still going to be here for you. Like you were for me after everything. It's one thing I'll always be thankful to Erica for. You turned up that night, took care of business, then looked after me afterwards. Nothing was ever too much for you."

"While you were important to Erica, I always felt that you were a close friend to me too."

She snuggled into my side, resting a hand on my chest. "I put my overnight bag in the bedroom," she whispered, "I wasn't sure about sleeping in the same bed as you or if I should sleep in the guest bedroom."

"It's your choice, Josie. I won't force you to do anything. The girls would love to see you in the morning though."

It had been a long and emotionally exhausting day. Heading to bed later that night, Josie grabbed her bag and I was left thinking she would go sleep in the spare bedroom. I was a little disappointed as I was hoping to at least have a warm body next to me for the first time in a year. But I didn't want to push things.

I was lying back in bed when there was a tap at the door. She opened it to stand in the doorway in some very nice pyjamas. Short-sleeved top and shorts that were tight to her body. Without a word, I pulled back the sheets and she slid under them without hesitation. Once she was snuggled against me, she asked if I wore anything to bed.

"I was wondering if you'd join me, so I am wearing a pair of shorts. I can't wear anything else. I get too warm."

"I usually just wear a t-shirt and panties," she whispered, "Though if I'm cuddled up against a handsome man, the t-shirt will usually disappear rather quickly. But I bought these pyjamas and a couple of other sets as I wanted to stay with you more often from now on. And I definitely didn't want to sleep in the other room."

I woke up in the morning with Josie spooned back against me. She must have already been awake as she started to giggle once I shuffled as I knew I was poking her and one of my hands was holding her breast. She grabbed my wrist and whispered that it was okay, that we'd both moved while we were sleeping. The fact we'd naturally gravitated towards each other was a good thing in her mind.

The girls were ever so excited to see Josie that early in the morning even though it was a school day. I'd kept them out of school the day before because I wanted them to see their mother after everything was handled regarding their custody. We ate breakfast together after we were all dressed and ready, walking out to the two cars together. The girls giggled when Josie and I shared a soft kiss.

"Want to come stay this weekend?" I asked.

"I'll pack a few things and come over after I finish work on Friday. Want me to stay until Monday morning?"

"If you'd like. Erica won't have the girls this weekend so I'm thinking that I do something and, well..."

"Do you want me to stay, Chris?"

I felt myself smiling. "I'd love you to stay with us. With me."

"Good. Then I'll call you tonight, and I'll be here waiting for you after you finish work."

I wasn't surprised that Dave was in my office within barely an hour of me sitting down in my office. The fact he was grinning had me laughing before he asked how the previous day went. Letting him know the divorce was done and custody arrangements sorted out seemed to please him, and now that I had fewer distractions, I was hopeful that my life would calm down. He then joked about the fact I was now an eligible bachelor, some of the women in the office probably wouldn't be shy in coming forward.

"Ah, well, I might already be with someone," I told him.

"This Josie that you've mentioned before?"

"Yeah. I don't want to rush headlong into a new relationship straight away, but she's been by my side nearly the entire time. Feelings have been developing slowly over time. We're not officially dating just yet, but she's already spent the night." He gave me a look and I laughed. "No, not like that. We're not rushing into that either."

"What about the ex-wife?"

"She's got her apartment in the city, her career, and she'll see the kids as often as she can. Officially, she gets them every second weekend and once a week, but she's already told me that the night during the week won't really be possible. She'll do her best to come for dinner from time to time. But she told me that as we're now divorced, she will take on more work tips and whatnot."

"I always thought the 'whore for the company' thing was a rumour."

"To be honest, I genuinely don't believe she's fucking anyone else except him. But I was never going to put up with that from the start. The day she sat down and said she fucked him was the day our marriage ended. I've just been treading water for the past year."

"You miss her?"

I glanced away and gave it some thought. "I miss the wife I remember. Erica isn't that woman any longer. She was changing long before that night she sat down and told me what she was going to do."

Word did spread rather quickly that my divorce was official, but I think an additional word was sent that I was already interested in someone else. Didn't stop girls in the office flirting with me constantly, and I had to get used to one or two being rather blunt in that they didn't even want anything except a night or two where we could fuck. I found myself blinking at them in silence as I wasn't sure how to respond to such an offer.

Arriving home on Friday night, Mum's car was on the driveway, and Josie's car was parked on the road. Walking inside, I was greeted by my girls immediately getting up from the floor to give me a big hug and a kiss, Mum and Josie sitting together on the couch, giving Mum a kiss on the cheek and Josie a proper kiss as a way of greeting them.