Ned's Big Payday Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love you, sweetheart. I like where we are in our relationship. You continue to amaze me. I know this ranch is hard work and I've been afraid you might want to not fool with it. I'd like to offer you an easier life, but I can't. This land is part of me."

"Then it will become part of me."

They kissed with more passion than ever before. Each knew that this was serious, not a simple fling that might fade away.

They mounted Ruby and Stacy for the ride home, each lost in their own emotions of what was just shared.

***

When laying in bed later than night, Janet remembered something she'd seen while in the helicopter. It was just before they flew over the holding tanks near the county road.

"There was a small house or shack about a minute before we saw the collection tanks. I meant to ask you about it. Are those on the ranch? Do people live in them?"

"Oh, I forgot to point it out. We have two line houses, as we call them. They were built by my grandfather many years ago for emergency use. That was long before the oil was discovered, and that area of the ranch was very remote. There were no services in that area like phones, electricity or water. After one of the riders working out there was bitten by a rattler and almost didn't make it home, my grandfather had the emergency houses built for any such future need. He had phones installed that connect to the bunkhouse. There's a bed, a first-aid box, a stove, a supply of canned food and water and a few other things stored there. Every time our men do work in that area, they check the line houses to see what needs to be done."

"That's the kind of need I'd never even thought about," Janet replied.

"Dad told me that they'd saved a couple of men over the years. One was checking the fence posts late one afternoon when a thunderstorm suddenly came. A bolt of lightning struck nearby and evidently followed the barbed wire to the post he was at. It knocked him to the ground and broke his collar bone. The thick leather boots he wore saved him from being electrocuted.

"He was able to make it to the line house and call. He could easily have died out there. It scared everybody. That was before I was born and several years before the oil.

"The other was during a heavy snow like we occasionally get. It happened when I was a teenager. One of the horses stepped in a hole that no one could see. It broke its leg. Of course, it had to be put down. The guy walked two miles through heavy snow to one of the line houses to call in. After that happened, cellphones were given out to all the men."

Do the line houses have electricity?

"Yes, that's another story. It happened when my grandfather first inherited the ranch. At that time, about seventy years ago, the ranch was only about half the size it is now. The power company built a new generation plant about sixty miles north of us and needed to run a high voltage transmission line south to El Paso. Power company reps met with the Goddard's grandfather, my grandfather and the Jackson's grandfather to explain why they needed a right of way to build the big towers to run the lines across our three ranches. Although there was no legal way to avoid condemnation and confiscation of the ranch land needed, the three owners came up with a plan.

"They agreed that they would give the right of way for free if the power company built some substations along its route and dropped power from the high lines to the substations that could then provide local power. The power company could save a lot of money, time and court hearings by building those small substations in exchange for the free right of way agreement. Otherwise, they would have had to pay the fair market value for all the land under those towers. As it turned out, part of the Goddard oil field and our oil field are under those towers and the power company would have owned the oil under them."

"My goodness," exclaimed Janet. "That agreement ended up making millions for you and the Goddard's."

"Exactly. But no one knew about the oil at that time. It was just luck. It was after that happened, the Jacksons decided to sell out and move to be closer to their children in California. My granddad bought their ranch for two million and merged it with ours. That was a lot of money during those days, but he borrowed against his ranch and eventually paid it off. Dad told me one time that the Jacksons bought beautiful property near the ocean just south of Oakland. He remembered as a child going out with his parents to visit them. He still remembers seeing the ocean for the first time. When the Jacksons died, that property was sold at auction for forty-five million."

"Wow, so everyone came out ahead. That's amazing," said Janet.

"Well, it was the Jacksons that really had the foresight. They bought in an area that became the center of the new computer programming world about twenty years later. You couldn't buy that property today for ten times that much."

Janet said, "It's really an amazing world where winners and losers can be accidently created. What is not known at the time of the decision can make all the difference in the results of that decision. I guess that's just life."

Rob said, "It's scary. Take our relationship for example. We've found each other, accidently. We've come together because of common desires and goals. We've fallen in love based on everything we know about each other in our current situation. But we have no idea what we don't know. What might happen that we can't even imagine at this point? It's truly scary."

Janet replied, "Rob, we could run scared of what might happen all our lives. That would paralyze us, and it would be worse than death. We've made a judgement call based on what we know and what we can clearly predict with some degree of certainty. For example. I want children, I believe you and I can have children because the odds of one of us being sterile is very low. By being tested, we can eliminate that uncertainty. Should we have those tests? I say no. The reason is that my love for you doesn't depend on having children. We can adopt children or maybe have a surrogate mother. I vote we stay the course and deal with any issues that arise when they arise. We are strong when standing together. We are weak when running scared of what might happen. I love you with all my heart, Rob. Nothing can change that."

Rob was silent, thinking of what she said. "I agree, Janet. I can't imagine a world without you even if that world may be different than we expect or hope for today. I think our love is eternal and nothing can destroy it. I love you with all my heart."

***

Clayton and Rebecca took them to the airport in El Paso the next morning. Janet left her new riding clothes behind, knowing that she would return. The goodbyes were sad. So much fun had been shared by all that no one wanted them to leave. Clayton and Rebecca hugged Janet and made her promise to come back soon. Rob hugged his dad and kissed his mom. He promised to call when they got to Denver. Ruby regretfully stayed behind.

***

Following a nice New Year's celebration at Kate's house, there was football and more football. They saw only part of the Rose Parade. Instead, they spent most of the morning trying to catch up with all the new slightly edited videos coming in from the eight crews working over the holidays. Because all the holiday decorations made site selection so easy, each crew spent days capturing stock footage that would be used for background in future music video productions.

Many artists record Christmas holiday albums and the promotional videos to be shown on YouTube, TV and other outlets were filmed long before the holiday, thus the need for stock footage of the current season's décor. Kate's company was becoming well known for the quality of their work and other video producers began buying stock footage from Angie when she authorized its sale. Kate had never thought about that revenue source, but Angie did. Ned could see a real business brain evolving right beside him. They would often be lying in bed at night when Angie would mention a new idea she'd been having. She wanted his opinion all the time. Ned's understanding of human psychology often contributed to the idea being successful. To Kate's amazement, Angie was subtly but quickly re-making the company's mission and the cash was flowing in.

***

The advertising video for the Bentley limousine service was created and edited with Angie, Ned and Jason's help. They were delighted with the way it came together. Their business license had been issued and both drivers had their commercial operators license in hand. The new service was insured by State Farm.

The announcement appeared on several social websites with fifteen second spots on local TV stations at various times of the day. Kate contacted the young reporter who had asked about the dinner she had with Tom at the French Laundry. The reporter was very happy to interview Angie and Ned about the limo service and it was aired on the local news shows in the evening time slots. Only three days later, inquires began to come to a separate business phone in Jason and Denise's "office." They were now doing real business with weddings, proms and social events booking the Bentley. The week of June 27th was reserved for Angie and Ned's wedding use.

***

Two other consultants from Boston arrived to take over David's job. Angie was now going to learn about safety, the EPA regulations, OSHA expectations and rules, and required government reporting. This was complicated and two months had been allowed in the schedule for Angie to completely learn it all. As the consultants warned, a CEO cannot depend on delegating such vital knowledge to people down in the bowels of the company. She must learn it so she can always ask the important questions and check on her employees' actions. Many companies had gone bankrupt because the CEO was depending on lower-level employees to follow laws they may not understand.

Many sessions over those two months would be Zoom calls and involve former government employees who were subject matter experts. She went home to Ned many nights almost in tears. There was just so much to learn. He asked her one night if it was driving her crazy. Her immediate response was "No, I'm close enough to walk." Angie had a lot of stress that needed relieving.

Fortunately, they had turned the wedding planning over to Kate's friend from college. She kept them informed along the way so no stress would build. Close to 600 guests were expected to attend. The invitations were at the printer. A still photographer was booked, and two caterers were scheduled for tasting sessions with Kate and Angie. Only one would be chosen.

A designer from one of the famous fashion houses in New York agreed to create the wedding dress. Kate had modeled for this company several times but had never met this hot new designer who was making waves in the industry. Several Broadway stars had worn her dresses on the red carpets and Hollywood had come calling as well. She and her artist would fly to Denver in late January to begin work. Angie was "over the moon" with excitement but Ned was kept "in the dark."

The wedding reception would require a huge room with a dance floor and lots of catering preparation space. The decision was made to book one of the large halls at the convention center normally used for trade shows. It was clear early on that the wedding would cost millions, but nobody cared. This wedding was important to Kate and Tom and no budget was created. Cost was not even part of the discussion.

***

Across town in late January, Beth decided to move in with Mark. Since they spent most every night with each other, it only made sense to save the money on one apartment. She was studying to be a physical therapist. As Mark was studying to be a surgeon, many of their discussions involved the human body. In fact, many of their physical activities also involved the human body. They were in love.

Spring break was coming in early April and plans were made to accompany Mark's parents on a seven-day cruise out of Tampa. It was a Royal Caribbean ship going to several of the islands. Mark's parents booked two suites on two different decks of the ship. They didn't want to be too close and interfere with the young lovers. They needed their privacy.

One afternoon, Beth returned home from a mid-day class. When opening her phone to check messages and emails, she saw an old one from Ned. That reminded her that she'd not talked to him since shortly before Christmas. She debated herself on whether to reach out again or just put the experiences with him behind her and move on. Mark had been a blessing to her, and their relationship was only growing. Sure, Ned brought them together. But should she call?

Mark had late classes and would be at the hospital that evening working as a nursing assistant. As Beth prepared a quick frozen dinner, her thoughts returned to Ned. She decided to reach out one more time to the guy who'd turned her life around.

Ned saw Beth's name on his cell phone. Angie was working late so he answered.

"Hey Beth, great to hear from you."

"Hi Ned, I thought I'd check in. Mark has proven to be just the man I needed, and I owe it to you."

"I'm very glad to hear that. How did your trip to Tampa go?"

"It was great. His parents accepted me as one of the family almost from the first day I was there. They live in a lovely house in a 55 and older development. They had a party the day after Christmas that blew me away. Now get this, everyone attending had to bring left-overs from their Christmas meals. They called it new overs."

Ned laughed and replied, "That sounds like a blast."

"They have it every year and many of their old friends come. There were several doctors, a hospital administrator, a couple of lawyers and some banking friends there. Almost all had retired and were living nearby.

"Mark introduced me to everyone, and they seemed very friendly and open. I felt fully accepted and none of my old feelings of inferiority came back."

"Have your parents met Mark?"

"Not yet. They know I'm dating and that I'm serious about him but, I don't know Ned, I'm a little scared."

"Scared of what?"

"Mark's family is so well off, and Mark was raised in a beautiful part of Florida. He is used to a lifestyle that I never had. My parents are great, but they're not well off. Our home is very modest."

"Beth, are you afraid for Mark to meet them?

"Ned, I just don't know. My dad is great, but his friends are the guys he bowls with, drinks beer with and has over to play poker. He worked construction all his life and is still working. After leaving the military, he began working on houses and never was able to go to college."

"Beth, when we first met, you talked about how you wanted a man like your dad to enter your life. You said that your mom had never said an ugly work about him. You told me that Mark was like him in many ways. So, what has changed?"

"I guess it's because I've now seen how Mark lived and met his family and all those rich friends they have. And my family is just not like that. Maybe some of my inferiority feelings are still here. I just don't know, Ned. I'm worried."

"Let's back up and talk through this. I think you might be under-estimating Mark."

Beth was silent for several seconds before saying, "I hope you're right."

"Has Mark ever talked about material possessions? Does money seem to be important to him?"

"Not that I remember. We always talk about our relationship, cooking, working in the hospital, my studies and our friends. He never talks about his family, other than just in passing."

"Is his clothing from luxury brands or the top stores like Sacks and Neiman-Marcus?

"The shirts and slacks I've washed for him are from Penny's, Macy's and Walmart. Maybe he has some others I've just not seen yet."

Ned said, "Does your dad wear clothes from those stores?"

"Yes, he does."

"Beth, this means that Mark is not materialistic, and I'll bet he and your dad will be great friends. Your home may be modest but it's a loving home and he will embrace it and your parents just like he did you. He is intelligent enough to know that you reflect your parents and it's clear from what you've said that he loves you and it's totally unconditional. Please don't be afraid of taking him home. It will be a great visit."

"Okay. You've been right so far, Ned. I trust your judgment more than I do mine."

"Just have confidence in Mark and yourself. It will work out."

After talking with Mark late that night, they agreed to schedule a weekend visit to Chicago to meet her parents. The next morning, Beth called her mom and Easter weekend was chosen as the perfect time.

Chapter 19

Big Happenings

The fashion designer and her assistant arrived the last weekend of January. Jason greeted them at the airport with the Bentley. They were welcomed by Angie and Kate upon arrival at Kate's home, where they would be staying. This was a very hush, hush consultation. Ned was told that Angie and Kate would be working all weekend with the consultants, which he took to mean the Boston guys.

After greetings and small talk about the trip and the current state of the fashion industry, the ladies got to work. The young designer had brought videos of her wedding collection being modeled at a late fall show in Paris and Milan. As they watched on Kate's big screen, many comments were made, and notes taken. While Angie admired many of the designs, she didn't see one that captured her heart. Kate thought two would be perfect, but it was not her wedding. She kept quiet.

The designer then showed sketches of new ideas she had but were not yet sewn. One of them appeared to Angie to be like one she'd dreamed about just a few days before. Suddenly, everyone realized they were on the right track and the creative juices flowed. A couple of changes were made and re-drawn by the assistant. After several hours of intensive re-imagining the design for a woman as tall as Angie, all relaxed and dressed for a wonderful dinner prepared by Denise.

The final design would be a strapless white stretch crepe fabric version of a floor-length evening gown with a side slit that would partially reveal her leg up to mid-thigh when she walked down the aisle. While standing for the ceremony at the front of the church, no skin would be showing. She would wear a short veil attached to her hair with a small white tiara. All agreed that her figure would make that dress a fashion statement.

That evening was spent discussing the direction of fashion and how certain designers seemed to always be leading the change. Kate recounted many of her experiences while modeling. The two guests were astonished when they realized that Kate was "the Kate" of supermodel fame. Then they were excited. Before them sat the lady they'd only heard about in design school. When they had studied the styles of the 1980's, the photos seemed to always show Elle Macpherson, Christie Brinkley and Kate McAllen. They sat, sipping brandy, for two hours while interrogating Kate about her career. Angie even learned a few things.

The next morning, following breakfast, Angie stripped to her underwear and precise measurements were taken. When bare-footed, Angie stood 6' 1.15" tall. In moderate heels for the wedding, she'd be almost 6'3" and as tall as Ned would be in normal men's shoes. The designer thought they would make a stunning bride and groom.

The designer and her assistant left for New York Sunday afternoon. All goals had been achieved and she could start to work soon on that beautiful and unique gown.

***

In late February, a large box of documents was delivered to Rob. It was from the oil and CNG trucking company. As requested by the audit notice, the company clerks made and sent copies of all the pickup and delivery tickets for every truck serving the Travis and Goddard oil fields for the last four years. That was as far back as the contract allowed an audit to be done.