Ned's Big Payday Pt. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After a week of organizing the tickets and entering the information into a spreadsheet, Rob and Janet took a weekend off to relax and focus on each other. They had already entered the weekly flow rate report data from Clayton and Sterling's records. Both has worked every available hour for more than two weeks to enter the reported data.

Over the weekend, Rob and Janet cooked three meals together, attended a basketball game, a movie and went to church on Sunday morning. Of course, they were able to squeeze in some very personal and exciting activity as well.

While Janet studied for upcoming tests, Rob spent a day to run a model he'd created to analyze the data. In the database was the weight of the truck when it first arrived at the refinery terminal and the weight after the load was delivered. That was the way the terminal determines how much crude and CNG had been delivered. By entering the data for each truck number and its date of delivery, the model was able to build a historical profile of each truck/tanker unit. By analyzing the mileage records and hourly pay records for the driver on each trip, Rob could see if the truck had stopped anywhere to pick up or drop off oil or CNG.

After running the model, it appeared there was more oil being delivered than there was oil being pumped. Rob double checked his model, and the results of the next run showed the same thing. Just to be sure he wasn't missing anything, he asked his Petroleum Engineering professor for help. After carefully checking the data and the model, the professor confirmed the issue.

Rob had a dilemma. The drilling company had a spotless reputation. Among all companies that were members of the petroleum association, they were leaders. Never had anyone in their seventy years of operation accused them of anything like what Rob had found. It was time for him to tread softly.

He called his dad and Mr. Goddard to arrange a Zoom call. On the call, he explained his data collection response from the trucking company, the database organization, his analytical model and how his professor had confirmed the methodology he used. When reviewing the results, his dad was silent, and Sterling Goddard mumbled some very ugly words best left undocumented. They were pissed, to say the least.

After more than an hour of debate, the fathers agreed that Rob should contact the drilling company headquarters in Fort Worth and talk to their operations director who had signed the drilling contract. They told Rob to make sure the director knew that he was representing both families. He was to ask for a face-to-face meeting with the director to show him the data and model. He should allow the director to do his own analysis in-house and respond with an action plan to correct the apparent errors. Both fathers agreed that the drilling company's reputation earned them the right to be assumed innocent of any intentional fraud. But obviously something had happened, and the director must explain it.

Rob made the contact, explained the situation, and was eventually scheduled to meet in Fort Worth. He asked Janet to go with him so she would know how such meetings are conducted. As a likely future co-owner of the Travis oil field, she had a right to attend and witness the discussion.

When planning with Janet for the meeting, Rob stressed the importance of being non-combative but questioning with the assumption that it was all a mistake. He explained to Janet that the drilling company would likely be upset at the findings and would accept the responsibility of quickly analyzing Rob's numbers in detail and respond in a timely manner. Their company reputation was at stake. Both his dad and Sterling Goddard gave Rob notarized power of attorney documents to represent them at the meeting.

The meeting was held on March 24. When Rob and Janet arrived at the Fort Worth headquarters, they were surprised by the warm welcome they received. That was not what they expected.

Arriving at the conference room, Rob was shocked when the CEO of the company walked in and introduced himself. He took a seat near the head of the table with the operations director on one side and operations vice-president on the other. All were personable and even gracious when meeting Janet and Rob. The operations director asked about Clayton and Sterling as it'd been several years since he last saw them.

Rob stood and handed out copies of the report and graphs he planned to present using the computer projection system. When he described the data collection and the analysis, the CEO interrupted him.

"Rob, I think I can save us some time if you'll let me describe what we've found. When we heard several weeks ago that a discrepancy was found, I assigned our operations team to go through all the records we had. They found the same problem you found, and we were dumbfounded. We take our responsibility for accurate reporting seriously. Not only do we have to report to your family and the Goddard's, but also to the county and state taxing authorities and to the Federal government and many other monitoring authorities. If you will excuse my language, this is damn serious."

Rob replied, "That's good to know. We believe this was an honest error, probably a human error, and in no way reflects on your great company and the reputation you've earned over many decades."

The CEO replied, "Thank you. Here is what we found. About 18 months ago, we changed the flow meters on both pipelines for oil and CNG on your field. It was required by the manufacturer as those were recalled for an operational issue found in a field in Oklahoma. About two days later, we changed out the meters on the Goddard lines and sent all the meters to a calibration lab to see if they were defective. I have the reports here that show all four meters were in proper working order and giving accurate results. That means that until eighteen months ago, everything was fine, we think. So, what happened?

"We installed new meters from a company in Germany. It was a different style of meter than we'd seen before. The first ones we installed were on your pipes. They had been calibrated and run on a test line we have here in our operations center. But we screwed up. Our guys installed them backwards. It was not clear in any of the documentation which end was which. There were no directional arrows or anything to go by. When that meter is backwards, the flow paddle inside still turns but has more resistance and won't measure accurately. So, what have we done?

"Our maintenance team discovered our errors when they recently went to both fields. New meters from another company that we've used for several years were installed. In hindsight, our attempt to save money by using a less expensive German meter was foolish. We didn't know how to use them. We have calculated, using the exact same method you used, that we owe you $11,592,212.50 to be split evenly between your father and Mr. Goddard. We have here a copy of our spreadsheet, analysis and monetary calculations. As oil prices do change daily, we've shown you how each daily rate was applied. I'm sending a letter this afternoon to your father and Mr. Goddard to explain our findings and apologize. We plan to wire transfer the money to them tomorrow morning."

Rob replied, "That amount is very close to what I estimated so we will agree with your findings. We appreciate your prompt attention to our concern. This again just re-enforces our confidence in your great reputation and integrity. Thank you."

All stood and exchanged handshakes and best wishes. When Janet and Rob left the building, they hugged. What a wonderful experience they'd had, and she was very proud of Rob. He knew how to negotiate with the big guys and win.

Returning to the hotel, Rob called his dad with the news. As was typical of Clayton, he was calm and said, "I knew something had to be wrong. Thanks for getting it corrected. Call Sterling and let him know."

Sterling was extremely pleased and thanked Rob several times as they talked. Rob promised to send all the borrowed records back the following week. Two weeks later, just before Easter, a letter arrived by certified mail to Rob's condo. It was a check from Sterling for $100,000.00 inside a very nice thank you card.

***

On the Friday before Easter, Beth and Mark walked out of baggage claim at O'Hare and into the arms of Beth's mom Anne and dad Zack. As Zack and Mark shook hands, Beth said, "Thank you so much for picking us up."

Anne replied, "We're very happy to finally meet Mark. After all you've said about him, I expected he would fly in with a cape and a big 'S" on his shirt." All laughed.

Zack added, "Welcome to Chicago, Mark. I'm glad you and my favorite daughter came."

"Dad, I'm your only daughter."

"Yes, but you're still my favorite," Zack replied with a grin.

Mark said, "I'm delighted to meet the people responsible for this wonderful woman. You two raised a great daughter."

Beth grinned and said, "I'm sorry we haven't come before now. Our studies have been swamping us but that's no excuse."

As Zack and Mark rolled the luggage across the street to the parking garage, Zack asked, "Do you drink beer?"

"I sure do."

"Good, Anne and I like to go to our neighborhood bar on Friday nights. Would you like to go?"

"I'd love to. You make one of my favorite beers here. Goose Island."

Zack replied, "Wow, you know about Goose Island. Amazing."

"I learned all about it from my dad. He worked at Mount Sinai hospital for many years until about eight years ago. He was a trauma surgeon."

Zack said, "We had a roofer fall off a building I was working on, and he was taken to Mount Sinai. That was about ten years ago. They saved his life. Your father may have worked on him."

Mark replied, "I wouldn't be surprised. He repaired lots of broken bones and treated blunt force trauma like falls and auto crashes."

"Well, I'll be damned. It's a small world, isn't it."

"It sure is, Mr. Thomas."

"Please call me Zack. All my friends do."

Anne insisted that Mark sit up front as she sat with Beth in the back seat. It would give him more leg room in their mid-size Honda. The talk during the drive was very pleasant. Much of it centered on Mark and his background and studies. When Beth mentioned that a psychologist friend had brought them together, her mom glanced at her and grinned. Beth had told her all about her friend the psychologist. Anne had sent checks to him.

Arriving at their modest home in a fifty-year-old development, luggage was unloaded and taken inside. There were only two bedrooms in the house. Beth asked her parents, "Do you mind if Mark and I sleep together?"

Zack replied, "We assumed you were already doing it. That's your decision, sweetheart." Anne instantly agreed. Beth then remembered she'd sent a change of address to her mom when she'd moved to Mark's condo. Of course, they must have known.

After unpacking, the decision was made to go get pizza. Mark was thrilled. Chicago, in his experience, had the best deep-dish pizza anywhere. He'd been wishing to get some while in the area.

Zack said, "We think the best in town is Pequod's which is also our neighborhood bar. Let's go over there."

Beth replied, "I love their pizza. Mark, just wait till you taste it."

Anne added, "And they have a great selection of beer, lots of it made in the city."

Zack replied, "He already knows about Goose Island. We'll get a pitcher or two."

Shouts of welcome came from the regulars and some servers as Anne and Zack entered. They ate there several times each month as did many of their neighbors. Beth had not been there in over a year but recognized a few patrons.

Their regular server, Antonio, came and welcomed them back. Beth knew him so she introduced Mark. They smiled, exchanged greetings and bumped fists. Zack consulted with the family before ordering a pizza with double cheese, pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms and sweet peppers. When it arrived, Mark eagerly took a slice in hand and watched the gooey cheese string itself to his mouth. This was real pizza. He was in heaven.

Beth watched him, as his eyes stayed closed, and asked, "What do you think?"

"I think that's the best I've ever tasted. Why can't it be this good in Denver?"

Anne replied, "I've heard that the crust doesn't rise the same in the high altitude. Don't know if that's true or not."

Mark said, "That's true, I know that bread rises faster with the lower atmospheric pressure and that you need to bake it in a hotter oven to make a quicker crust. That seals in the moisture before the dough dries out."

"It sounds like you bake bread," Anne said.

"I've tried but some of the tricks have escaped me so far. I'll keep trying."

"I enjoy baking. I'll make some old-style Southern biscuits for you tomorrow morning," Anne said.

Zack said, "She doesn't make those for me. Only when Beth comes home."

"Now honey, you know those aren't good for you."

"Right, I should just eat pizza and drink beer I guess." Everyone smiled. There was a dis-connect in the logic it seemed. Well, at least the pizza was damned good. They'd have to think about calories later.

Several neighbors came to their table to greet Beth and meet the new guy. She was delighted by the warm welcome given to Mark and the way her parents seemed proud of him.

As they lay in the small double bed that night, they had to whisper since Beth's parents were just next door and the walls were thin.

Beth quietly asked, "What do you think about my parents?"

"I think they're wonderful. Your dad is fun. We like many of the same things, in fact. Your mom is a rock and the anchor of the family, much like my mom. I wish we had come sooner. It's clear they wanted us to."

Beth replied, "You're right, I just didn't know if you'd like them or not."

"What? Why did you think that?"

Beth was silent, thinking carefully.

"They are so different than your parents."

"Sweetheart, I don't agree at all. They're wonderful people. They obviously have worked hard and are very proud of you. You're like your mom in many ways."

"I love you very much, Mark. I'm so glad we came."

"I love you, Beth. Very much."

On Saturday, Anne's biscuits were light, flaky and very tasty. She served sausage patties, fried eggs and a jam that was new to Mark. It was made from elderberries. Zack and Mark ate way too much but it delighted Anne.

They attended a Bulls game Saturday night and on Easter Sunday they went to early mass. Although Mark was a Methodist, he tried to follow Beth's lead on the ritual expected during the service and found he enjoyed it.

Farewells were sad on Sunday afternoon at O'Hare Departures. It had been a wonderful visit. Zack and Anne both hugged Mark and Beth. Mark was now one of them and he realized it. Beth was ecstatic and so proud of her parents. It was only a week later that Mark proposed marriage and Beth accepted. She called Ned the next day to thank him.

***

Music video production was booming. During the winter months, Kate's teams of videographers, site selection, sound technicians, equipment and transportation were in the mountains at Vale, Copper, Arapaho and Breckenridge. The snow and skiing stock footage being created was of exceptional quality. Mother winter cooperated with several large storms that assured prime conditions and that skiing would continue well into April. The mountain peaks were spectacular in the early morning and late afternoon sun. Kate and Angie were delighted with not only the quality but also the quantity of the product coming in for their review.

In Nashville, the two new video teams were up and running. Two other teams had been temporarily sent from Denver and all were trying to catch up with the demand from the recording studios. Artists were in the studios at all hours of the day to record new material and cover many hits from fellow artists. Videos to promote those new recordings were in high demand as album launch dates loomed. Road tours were being scheduled and concert bookings were timed to follow the album release and the promotion videos. The whole process of creating, promoting and performing music was tightly woven like a fine fabric. It all had to work together or else. The "else" was unacceptable.

Ned's successful office search paid big dividends. Indeed, forty offices were needed as Kate predicted. A superb job of updating the offices with the latest computer technology was complete in time for the two local teams to move in. Angie selected and relocated an office manager from Denver to Nashville. She would oversee everything done at the Nashville location. Angie had picked her from several candidates because of her "Type A" personality. She was a no-nonsense kick-ass when she needed to be and an angelic princess of proper manners when allowed to be. The people in Denver both loved her and respected her. The Nashville people learned quickly.

Kate flew to Nashville to be with Tom and to work with her video team managers at least twice a month. Angie would occasionally accompany her while Ned stayed home to meet his university commitments and drive the Bentley for booked events.

When the first fitting of the wedding gown was scheduled, Tom sent Charles and Claire with Angie and Kate to New York. The dress was almost perfect but needed a few tucks here and there. The designer accused Angie of losing a little weight. Angie was surprised and delighted. Both agreed that she must maintain her body as is until the wedding for the dress to be perfect that day.

The only significant design change was to the leg slit. After Angie walked it back and forth, the ladies decided that a little too much leg was showing. This was a church ceremony after all, not just a party.

After the fitting, the traveling party was able to see a Broadway show and have a great dinner before flying home the next morning. Both Kate and Angie were delighted with both the gown and the young designer who was well on her way to fame.

***

In late April, the wedding planner met with Kate and Angie to review the status. Overall, it was going well but a few changes were in order. It was decided that Billy Joel would perform only at the reception and not during the ceremony. His style of music was better suited for a dance party. Instead, a soprano who normally performed with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra was booked. She would sing four songs prior to the ceremony and two during the ceremony.

The caterer had been chosen and he had toured the convention center hall to visualize the set-up and service process. The center manager walked the floor with the wedding planner to decide where to place the stage, piano and sound board. The tables would be set for ten guests each so 60 would be needed plus an extra just in case. That would allow for a dance floor capable of holding fifty couples at a time. Angie and Kate were very satisfied with the plan. They reinforced with the planner the need to keep secret who was performing. Any advance notice of Joel coming or even being in the Denver area, would cause a major issue. His fans were numerous and could be aggressive when trying to see him.

Tom planned to pick up Billy in the Citation and fly back to Nashville where the sound team from the studio would join the flight. All the equipment would be taken in a box truck to Denver a few days before the ceremony. Billy would stay at Kate's house and the sound team would be at a hotel near the convention center. The plan was coming together.

***

Rob and Janet took a long weekend trip to West Texas in early May. Rain had finally returned. The grass and bushes that previously appeared to be dead were green and growing. Clayton and Rebecca met them at the airport with hugs and kisses for Janet, their close-to-adopted daughter.