New Neighbor Pt. 04

Story Info
John introduces Vicky to Ken.
15.4k words
4.85
9k
5

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 12/29/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Preface: Everyone in the story is at least 18 years old, and the story is entirely fictional. Any similarities to real people or events are purely coincidental.

This story follows the relationship between John and Laura, first introduced in "New Neighbors Pt. 01" in which they meet. Constructive comments are welcomed.

Enjoy.

New Neighbor Part 04 John introduces Vicky to Ken

On Thursday after the party, John said, "I'm going to the studio to work on the pictures I took at the party. By the way, I'm planning on going to the shelter to take dog pictures on Saturday. Can I get your help? It'll be fun."

"Sure."

"Oh, and could you call Vicky to see if she wants to help too? I'll take you to lunch after."

Laura called Vicky and said "John is behind shooting dog pictures at the shelter. He wanted me to see if you would help handle the dogs. I'll be there too. He can shoot a lot more pictures if he has another dog ready to go, right after he's done with one. I haven't been out there yet, but it sounds like fun. There may be some other volunteers to help with the big dogs. Knowing John, he'll want to take some pictures of us with the dogs too."

"Sure, when?"

"Are you busy Saturday at about 9:00?"

"I'll check my social calendar...of course I'll be free. If anyone is in bed with me, I'll kick them out," she said somewhat downheartedly.

"Great, we'll pick you up Saturday around 9:00."

"What should I wear?"

"Jeans and a blouse would be fine. Nothing you care too much about."

When Laura went over to John's place. She found him playing with a naked woman's body - as in using Photoshop on them. He'd been working on the pictures a lot because he wanted to make a book for each of the girls.

"Vicky said she'd be glad to help at the shelter. Should I be worried about how closely you're examining my friends' bodies?"

"Uh, no. But look at these and tell me which one you like the best."

He showed her three pictures of Katie, and she picked one out of the three. When John was working like this, pictures were just pictures and not pictures of naked women.

"Great, she's done." He closed the program.

"That's great about Vicky."

"I told her that we'd pick her up Saturday at about 9:00. Why did you want Vicky to do this and not someone else?"

"She told me she likes dogs and she's fun."

That sounded plausible but Laura suspected something else was going on.

"No other reason?"

"No."

John was terrible at being deceptive. Laura knew there was something else, but she wasn't going to push it. She'd find out Saturday.

Saturday morning, Laura woke up and John wasn't in bed with her. She was disappointed. She liked waking up next to him in bed.

She heard a car door close, looked out the window and saw a strange red Mercedes parked in front. John was putting equipment in the back. She threw on a robe and went downstairs.

"What are you doing? It's 6:30 in the morning."

"Getting packed up. Coffee's ready and I'll cook breakfast in a few minutes."

"What are you so worked up about?"

"I just haven't been out there in a few weeks. I've been busy lately," he said and kissed her. "Not that I've minded, but I do miss the dogs."

"By the way, why don't you pack up some clean clothes so you can change if we want to go out to eat later."

"How fancy?" Laura asked.

"Something we could go out to a late lunch or early dinner in. Casual but without paw prints on it. Your clothes can get pretty dirty working with the dogs."

"OK. I'll tell Vicky too."

Laura went to shower and dress. She packed a small bag with a couple of outfits in it. John had no idea about women picking the right clothes for whatever restaurant they were going to.

John finished packing up and went for a twenty-minute run with Bo. He jumped in the shower, dressed, and grabbed an extra shirt and pants for lunch out.

Breakfast was ready by the time Laura was downstairs. They ate quickly and left to pick-up Vicky.

When they went outside, Laura asked, "By the way, where'd this car come from?"

"Oh, it was parked out back with the truck."

"What truck?"

"The one Bo and I use for traveling when I take pictures."

"How many vehicles do you have?"

"Three, but I like the sports car the best."

They got in and pulled out of the driveway. "I was thinking that Bo and I need to take you on a trip into the wilderness soon."

"I'm not a great Girl Scout."

"You may not be a great scout, but you're a great girl. Bo and I will take it easy on you."

It took 20 minutes to get to Vicky's. She wanted Laura to help her pick out her "clean" clothes. John sat in the living room and the girls disappeared into one of the bedrooms.

"John has no idea the choices women need to make with clothes." Laura said.

"Are we going somewhere special?"

"Not that I know of. He said something casual without dog prints on it. He's afraid we'll get dirty and won't want to go anywhere. I've got a pair of slacks and a button-down shirt along with some makeup. I think John just threw a clean shirt into the car.

While they were gathering her clothes, John poked around a little. Vicky lived in a two-bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood. There were lots of pictures on the walls of "the girls", some that went back a few years. There were also lots of pictures of a white dog.

When they came out of the bedroom, John asked, "Vicky, who's the American Eskimo Dog in all these pictures."

"Jackson. He was my best friend. He died about five years ago and I still miss him. He's the best man I've ever had in my life. How did you know that he was an American Eskimo Dog?" She was getting a little teary-eyed.

"We see them at the shelter every now and then. I'm so sorry you lost him. I know how it is to love a dog that much. I'm not sure how I would cope with losing Bo."

John said, "Let's go. We have dogs waiting for us."

They went out and jumped into the car. It took about ten minutes to drive to the shelter.

"I'm glad you could come Vicky. More hands make this easier."

When they got to the shelter, John pulled around back to get his equipment out, then parked in front.

"It may seem a little bit strange when we go in," John said.

When they walked into the lobby, John became the center of attention. All the employees and volunteers said 'Hi' to him and asked about Bo. They also wanted to meet the two gorgeous women he had with him. Laura and Vicky were a little intimidated. John introduced then to the whole lobby staff. He loved introducing Laura as his girlfriend.

Laura hadn't known what to expect, but she didn't except this. It seemed strange until she saw the huge pictures of dogs adorning the walls of the shelter. There were several of Bo. She looked closely and John's name was on all of them.

"John, why are we getting so much attention?"

"Would you believe it's because of my sparkling personality? Please?"

"I do. But there's something more."

"Don't tell anyone this but after I got Bo here, I made a donation to the shelter. I tried to give it anonymously, but someone figured it out. I wish they'd treat me like any other volunteer."

"How big a donation?"

"Big," he said looking a little embarrassed.

Laura said, "I hate to tell you this, but the people who work here don't give you attention because of your money. They would like you if you hadn't made any donation. Look at these pictures. They're wonderful. You give your time and talent to this place. You're a kind, gentle, dog lover, and you're fun to be around. People like you, and you like people a lot more than you know."

"That day we went into town, you knew everyone. That doesn't happen if you don't like people. You have been incredibly nice to my friends, and they've noticed. I bet you know every member of the staff here by name and will go out of your way to say hello to each of them."

"It doesn't hurt that you're an exceptionally handsome man and today you came in with a gorgeous woman, on each arm."

"I'm not sure I believe you, but let's get everything set up," John said.

Vicky was talking to another volunteers. Laura found her and they went to set up the equipment in a room they cleared out for John. Another volunteer came in.

"Hi Ken," John said. "I'd like to introduce you to my girlfriend, Laura Swanson. God, I love saying that. This is Ken Parker"

"Hi, Laura."

"And this is my other girlfriend, Vicky Walker. Just kidding, this is Laura's friend, Vicky. They're here to help today."

"Hi, Vicky. It's nice to meet you. I've heard a lot about both of you." He gently shook her hand. Laura wondered how he had heard about Vicky since John hadn't been out there since he'd met her.

Ken was an extremely attractive man. He was tall and muscular with broad shoulders and didn't seem to have an extra ounce of fat. He had kind brown eyes and a square jaw.

"Ken helps me with pictures a lot. He's a great handler and he'll get any big and rough dogs out of the kennels for you. Some of them can be a handful, especially with all the other dogs barking."

"Have we got a list today, Ken?"

"It's over on the table."

"Great. Can you help Vicky get one of the smaller and nicer dogs out and show her the walking trail? Laura and I can set up."

After they left, John started setting up the lights and the background paper.

"We'll start with the small dogs." He put a tall table in front of the background and covered it with a matching cloth.

"Why the table?" Laura asked.

"One, you get the best pictures if you are close to the dog's eye level. I don't want to have to lie on the floor. Two, it discourages them from jumping down. Although, it happens. That's one thing to watch out for. You can usually see them thinking about it before they jump."

Laura said, "Ken's a mighty handsome man."

"I guess you're right. He is kind of good-looking. He's really good with the dogs here."

"Why are you smiling so much?" Laura asked.

"I just like my job."

"That must be it," she said looking at him skeptically.

John got everything set up, grabbed the list, and said, "Let's go get a dog."

They headed towards the kennels. John showed her where the slip-leads were and introduced her to some of the kennel staff. He asked them to help her if she needed it. He gave them a copy of the list of the dogs they were taking pictures of.

"Hi John," a very pretty woman said.

"Hi Dani, I'd like to introduce my girlfriend, Laura Swanson. Laura this is Dani Thomson. She's the world's best volunteer coordinator. Be careful or she'll sign you up for a shift."

"Hi Laura. We've all been dying to meet you. I brought you a badge."

The badge said "Laura, Volunteer."

"I gave one to Vicky too. Volunteers need to wear badges so we can tell they are not adopters. Where's yours, John?"

"My bad, did I also say she the prettiest volunteer coordinator too." She shook her head at him. "Laura, if you need anything today just let me know."

"Thanks."

"Let's get Pancake out," John said.

"That's a strange name for a dog."

"They have to come up with names for thousands of dogs a year. They can't call them all Rover or Spot. The new owners will rename them when they go to their forever homes and their personalities come out. I was lucky that Bo's name fit him so well."

Pancake was a precious tiny Papillon. John gave Laura some treats to give Pancake and showed Laura how to get a dog out without him getting loose.

Once Laura got a leash on "Pancake", they took her for a walk around the trail to let her relieve herself. When she pooped, John gave Laura a bag to pick it up. She looked at him like, "not my problem."

"It's just dog poop. You're a big girl." John showed her how to turn the bag inside out so it's like a glove. He made her pick it up and showed her where to deposit the bag.

"I've been on better dates," she said to John.

John said in a silly squeaky voice, "Did you hear that Pancake, she doesn't think you're a good date." Laura gave up and laughed. "Let's go get your picture taken beautiful."

They walked back to the makeshift studio. Ken and Vicky were there and were talking and playing with Biscuit, an adorable Yorkie.

Vicky said, "John, how can you not take them all home?"

"Once you hear some stories about how much these guys change people's lives, you want to share the joy. I'd never had a dog until I adopted Bo and now, I couldn't live without him."

John said, "OK, let's start with Biscuit. Ken, can you help Vicky get him settled up there."

Ken picked him up and he started licking all over Ken's face as he talked in a high playful voice. After putting him on the table, he showed Biscuit a treat and moved it a couple of feet back and above the camera lens. Biscuit's eyes were glued to the treat. John took the picture and the strobe lights scared Biscuit a little. Ken gave him the treat plus a couple of extras and jollied him up.

He took another treat and lifted it above Biscuit's nose, and Biscuit sat. Ken moved back. John squeaked a toy and Biscuit looked straight at the lens and John got the picture. Vicky was amazed at how easy Ken made it seem.

Vicky asked, "How long have you worked with these two dogs, Ken."

"It's the first time I've seen them."

"But they seem to listen to you?"

Ken shrugged and said, "Dogs like me."

Vicky thought, "He's modest too."

Ken said, "Your turn Vicky. You're going to get him to sit-up."

"Me? How?"

"You saw how I got him to sit. Get him to sit again and tease him with the treat over his head, just out of his reach. If he even tries to sit up, give him the treat. If he doesn't try, use a better treat like cheese. He pointed to a table with several types of treats on it. Do it about three times and he'll either sit-up or stand-up on his back legs. Either is fine. John will make a noise and he'll look at the camera. It's easy."

After about two tries, he sat up and looked at the camera. Vicky was clapping and bouncing with excitement. John took a picture of her.

Ken said, "You're a natural. Give him a couple of treats."

"That's it for him. You can take him down Vicky." She picked him up and he wiggled in her hands.

Ken said, "Hold him against you like a baby and support his legs." She did and Biscuit started licking her all over the face.

"He likes me."

Ken said, "He has good taste," and smiled at Vicky. "Let's put him up."

"No. He likes me."

John said, "We're going to have to get her out of here or we'll go back with a car full of dogs."

Vicky said, "Don't listen to the mean man, Biscuit."

John said, "Vicky, stand behind the table so I can get a picture of you and your first shelter dog." John took the picture and Vicky was beaming. Ken looked at her with a big smile on his handsome face. Vicky felt butterflies in her tummy.

"Let Vicky play with Biscuit for a minute. Can you help Laura?"

"Sure."

Ken put Pancake up on the table and walked her through the same steps for the first picture.

"The lights aren't bothering Pancake. Laura, do you remember how to get him to sit? Just lift his nose with the treat."

As soon as the treat was near his nose, he sat. "Pull the treat over towards the lens." The flash went off and John got the picture.

Ken said, "Let's try something different with him since he's so brave for a tiny dog. Do what you did again and after he sits, move the treat down to the tabletop."

Laura followed Ken's instructions and Biscuit just dropped into a down position. John squeaked the toy and Pancake looked at the camera like a model. John got his picture.

Laura tried not to squeal but was unsuccessful and John took her picture.

"That was fantastic. He's done." John said.

Laura took him off the table and held him. He licked Laura's face. "I didn't really mind picking up your poop," Laura told Pancake.

"Laura, stand behind the table with Pancake." He took her picture. She looked proud of little Pancake.

John pulled Laura towards him and kissed her. She said, "Not now John, we have more dogs to take pictures of."

While John was taking Laura's picture, Ken and Vicky were smiling at each other.

"Ken, can you help them with the next dogs?"

"Ken?" Ken turned around.

"What?"

"Can you help them with the next dogs?"

"Oh, sure."

The girls reluctantly put the dogs away with Ken's help and got two more from the list. All Ken needed to do was shadow them as they leashed the dogs and walked them before heading in for their pictures. They were acting like pro volunteers. Laura noticed that Ken was having a tough time looking away from Vicky. Especially when he was behind her.

They finished up the small dogs. It only took twice as long as it would have with just John and Ken, but it was a lot more fun. The looks on the girls' faces were priceless.

It was about 2:00 and John asked, "Who wants some lunch?"

Everyone said they were hungry. Their clean clothes were in the car and the girls went to change.

Ken just happened to have some clean clothes in his car. He and John changed too.

##########

In the ladies' room, Vicky asked Laura, "What do you think of Ken?"

"He's good-looking and he's great with dogs. They really like him, too.

"I think John wants me to volunteer here," Vicky said.

"What?"

"After he took my picture at the party, we were talking, and he asked me if I liked dogs."

"That's odd. What were you talking about?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe about that asshole Brian?"

Things gelled for Laura. That's why John was smiling so much. This was a setup. She wasn't going to tell Vicky. She could tell they liked each other. Vicky deserved a good man in her life.

"Maybe you should volunteer here. I know John is crazy about this shelter."

##########

When the girls finished changing, they went back out to the lobby. The guys were waiting. Laura gave John a big hug and whispered, "I know what you're up to."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Stacey, could you tell Dani we'll be back after lunch?" He asked a woman behind the counter.

They went to a nice burger place near the shelter. They all ordered burgers and fries and talked.

John said to Vicky, "Did Ken tell you that he fosters dogs and puppies for the shelter?"

"No, how many dogs do you have at a time?" Vicky asked.

"I've had as many as six including my own two. Right now, I have two fosters and my two. Oh, and four little puppies."

John said, "Were those puppies the ones nobody thought would make it because they were too young?"

"Yeah. Their mother died when they were about a week old. No one thought they would live. I couldn't give up on them. They're not out of the woods yet but they're three weeks old and I'm getting them to eat on their own. If I can get them through that, they've got a good chance."

Vicky asked, "How did they eat for the first two weeks you had them."

"I had to bottle feed them every 3 hours. Poor guys weighed well under a pound when I got them. They're up to almost 2 pounds."

"How do you feed them that often?"

"My alarm clock goes off every three hours. It's hard, but human mothers get a lot less sleep for a lot longer time."

John said, "Ken also started a group email that lets volunteers know which dogs were adopted every day."

"Volunteers become attached to the dogs that spend a long time here. They are so happy when "their" dogs get adopted," Ken said. "The shelter doesn't want adoption information to be public. I convinced them to let the volunteers know daily. It makes them feel like a part of a team at the shelter. What the volunteers do is an important part of getting dogs adopted."

Laura asked, "You seem to be good at getting the dogs to do what you want. How did you learn that."

"There are a few tricks you pick up," Ken said.