Nigkala Tales Pt. 27: Perchance to Dream

Story Info
But that is only the begining.
18.3k words
4.83
1.4k
0

Part 27 of the 39 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 01/30/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But that is only the beginning

Thanks to my editor kenjisato. Also, to LanguageTool. Combined, they put me right. Any problems left all belong to me.

= = = = = = = = = =

My time in Mogadishu was coming to an end. The punishment for breaking the divine rules had finished while I was in the lost city of Ile-Ife. That city may be a previous incarnation of the modern city of Ile-Ife, but others would decide that. But I was left with the mystery of the dreamworld, two magical pieces of amber, and an enchanted room. I had copies of all our documentation, and some additional notes I had made.

Knowing I would become quite busy when I returned, I decided to do some research here first. I began with the amber. Examining both, one at a time, I realized they were lesser talismans. Focusing on the talismans' magic, I teased out information of the ones they were linked to. I learned they were married and had kids. I learned a little of their personality, and even their approximate age. Neither talisman was trapped.

I decided to see what was in the talisman. I grasped one, and tried to connect to it as I had others. It did not take long to learn that the talisman was designed for knowledge, not power. I spent several days looking through all it held, before I came across something not in my talisman. I came across it by accident. I was tired, and lost my train of thought, allowing a stray thought of the owner. Suddenly, I was learning about him. Not the tidbit I learned from the magic, but far more like Enheduanna, the previous owner of my talisman of An.

I soon realized I was seeing the life experiences of this person, but limited to that which seemed important. All religious acts were recorded, and a number of intensely personal moments. What made this even more interesting, was that this talisman belonged to a shaman of Aja. I studied all the rituals, and learned how to recreate them. I was also able to use my newly learned language, and refine it, as much was presented as both sound and meaning. To another, they would hear it, and might learn the language, but my knowledge allowed me to learn through immersion.

When I accessed the second talisman, I found the same record. Going through it, the two talismans belonged to a married couple, as each person often occurred in the other's records. Curious, I examined my own talisman, and found it, too, had such information about me. That worried me, should my talisman ever get taken.

While I did that research, I also did some internet research on the Yoruba. Much I had already found, but there was a little I had missed last time. It was this research that had the information about the dreamworld. It was believed by the earliest people of the Yoruba, that this was a savage realm where the faithful could be tested, and gain understanding, and for a rare few, even some power.

I looked again at the images of the other worship areas, looking for signs of the dreamworld. Two had references, and so I looked at all three again to see all I could. I meditated on the images, and focused on magical meanings. I spent several hours letting it percolate. I didn't get anything, but the next morning, I woke with a revelation. Funny, understanding of the dreamworld came in a dream.

It required a ritual, and I had seen such in the talismans, and the one performing the ritual would send the seeker into the dreamworld. The ritual would send the seeker into a savage reality, where survival was difficult, and when you were killed there, you woke up with the knowledge you learned there. The greater the achievement in that realm, the more you learned. Some achievements also gained you power.

A big limit to the ritual, is that the seeker arrived in the savage world without any access to divine power. This was designed to give the disadvantaged an equal start to those serving the divine. I decided to go back to Hafun, and see the young shaman and his father. I bought some supplies I felt would be welcome there. Again, I left my keys with the landlord, and headed out.

I took a different path to renew other parts of the country as I passed through. I stopped once or twice a day to hold a roadside ceremony and place a pinch of blessed sand. I had modified the ceremony to be more like what I had learned in the talismans.

I arrived a few days later, and pulled up near his place. "Hello, I'm back with news. May I come in?"

"Who calls?"

"Becky Sue. The extremely tall lady."

"Enter."

"Hello again. The lost city has been found."

"You found it? How? Where? What's it like?"

"You remember me telling you about my being more aware of things others cannot see?" He nodded. "Well, I used that to see the land about me. I looked for signs of worked stone. I found clues and followed them. As to where, it was where you said. The University of Mogadishu has the exact location, and I expect the world will soon. As to what it is like, well, it was abandoned as you would expect..."

That was when his son arrived. There was a bit of chaos until we got him caught up in my tale. I continued, "It was abandoned, and the wilderness had closed in on it. We went into nearly every building to see how they lived. Of more interest to you, we found several worship places. One of these seemed to still have some divine power. Have you heard of the lady of the forest, Aja?"

The old man said, "I have heard of her. You had mentioned her as the one who blessed your sand. Why do you ask?"

"It was her worship place that still had magic. I also found two of her talismans in a secret place." I handed one to each. "I already have one." I pointed to my necklace. "Their main purpose is knowledge. Hold it in your hand, and focus on it. Now ask it about the food your people farm. Do you suddenly know something?"

I waited a few minutes, when the old man said, "I see. Now I know why it bears more food when the soil is fertilized with fish rather than manure. This is amazing."

"Yes, they hold a lot of information about plants and animals of the forest. While those fields are not forest, they are often next to it, and the creatures of the forest eat it." I looked at the young shaman, and said, "As nothing has come to you yet, I don't think you are ready for it yet. Please return the amber."

He looked unhappy, so his father said, "Son, if she lets me keep this one, you can try again."

"You can keep it, as you have shown ability to use it. It is now your responsibility. I had hoped one of you would be able to. You see, there is a ceremony I want to try, but I cannot be the one to perform it. I hoped that one of you could do it."

"What is this ceremony for?"

"It is to go into the dreamworld."

The old man said, "I have heard of this, but it has been lost for ages. How did you learn this?"

"The talismans have also recorded a portion of the life of the one to whom it was given. I found out by accident, but that record held a number of ceremonies. I made a video of the ceremony I saw, so that you could study it."

We talked more about the ceremony, and I even brought out my tablet to show them. I asked if we could do it soon? They agreed, and the son said I could stay at his place. We left the old man, and when we got to the son's place, he asked about all the stuff I brought for such a short stay. I told him that most of it was a gift to the town, to help them survive and thrive. We unloaded everything, and I explained everything I was giving to the town, and we put it to one side. The small amount left over went where I would sleep.

As the son could use the tablet to teach his father the ceremony, I let him do that. While he taught, I began distributing everything I had for the town. Some were for specific people, and some for the town as a whole. It took several days to distribute everything. Finally, they said they were ready.

We joined the old man for a light dinner, and then to the old man's room. He told me that his eyesight wasn't good enough to see the video and learn the ceremony. But his son had learned it, and he believed it would be possible because his son was his heir, and he had faith.

I asked the son if he felt he could do exactly as the video indicated, and he nodded. He also said his dad wanted to go, as well, and he thought it would work for both of us.

I was silent for a while, as I thought about this. Then I remembered something I had learned in my own magical training. Belief can overcome limitations. I also knew that was a keystone to my body, as well. So I said I, too, believed in him. We both lay down, and composed ourselves for sleep.

The son began the ritual, and I felt magic seem to come from the talisman I gave the old man, and that the son had tied with cloth to his wrist. Part of the ritual was the creation of a dream body. The magic books I had collected did not talk about dream magic, but they did talk about astral projection, which I thought would be similar. I used that other knowledge to imagine myself as Obsidian, in armor and backpack, and ready for battle with a pair of steel swords, and with my second set of arms as strong as my regular ones.

I woke up, and found the elder next to me. I saw he had imagined himself in his prime, with a wooden shield and a spear. I looked at myself, and realized I was Obsidian. I had two steel swords held in my upper hands, and my lower ones were under my control as easily as my upper ones. I then reached up with a lower one to feel my hair. My hand could feel it, and so I learned I was Obsidian in the flesh of this dreamworld. I felt the weight of my backpack, and the other equipment I carried.

Looking about, I saw we were in a forest clearing. I saw the old - now, young - man finally realize his situation. He raised his spear and shield. I casually sheathed both swords, and said, "Peace. I am Becky Sue."

His eyebrows raised, and he pulled back a little, but still held his weapons at the ready. "Impossible. She is not quite as tall as you, and only has two arms. While your faces look a lot alike, there are obvious differences."

"This is the dreamworld, and even as you are a young man in your prime, I am different as well."

"... I forgot about that. Um... What are you?"

"Here, I am a Human Shokan half breed. Call me Obsidian. Back home, I am also an actress, and that is the name of the character I play."

"As I, too, look different, why not call me Rick, as my friends did when I looked like this. What do you suggest we do?"

"I think a look about is in order."

"Can't see much from here."

"True, which is why I brought help."

"Help?"

Rather than answer, I summoned the predator to take a look about. That's how I learned that my secondary arms were flesh and blood, as it formed as a raptor on my arm, and dug its claws in before launching. It flew up, and over the forest. I saw mountains to one side, plains to another, and a large, walled town not too far off in the plains. It went further up, and found a stream we would need to cross. There was also a road not far off leading to it from the forest.

"There is a settlement that way. Let's head there. I'll lead."

We began, and I had the predator stick around to alert me if there was need, and to keep me pointed in the right direction. Half an hour later, we exited the forest, and could see the town. I changed course to the road, then followed it to the town.

It was clear we were seen. When we came to the gate, there was a woman in regular clothes, and four armed guards close by. Their weapons were not drawn, but it was clear that I worried them.

Just then, the lady spoke, "Who are you, and giantess, what are you."

I replied quickly, "I am Obsidian, a Shokan half breed. Outside the dream, I am Human, with similar height and strength. I also go by another name." I looked at my companion and he spoke.

"I am an old man, and this lady showed me the way here. My name is long, but when I wore this body, my friends called me Rick."

"What is your purpose here?"

I spoke, "To us, this is the dreamworld, where we might learn. We arrived in the forest, and seek instruction."

"As I thought, but I was surprised at a giantess. I am Fatima. I shall oversee your time here, as long as you last. What specifically do you seek? Rick?"

"We have lost much over the ages. I train my son, but there is so much I don't know. I seek what we lost."

"A historian, hmm. And you?"

"Curiosity drives me. I desire to learn, but I also take pleasure in telling tales. Where better to create tales than to be inspired by a dream. Few may believe, but no matter. They will be entertained. I also seek the ancient magic of Aja, as what little I saw, was empowering life. I think it might be the magic of creation, rather than destruction."

"You are quite fierce for a teller of tales. You seek magical power."

"I tell tales by acting them out. Becoming a fierce warrior is the most believable way to portray one. Understanding a little about the dreamworld, I chose this form. As to power, I already have power, and can destroy with it. Creation, however, is not something I am versed in."

"We shall see about your destructive power. For now, follow me." She led us to a large garden with a statue of Aja dominating everything. She pointed at some benches, and sat down on one facing us. We sat.

She instructed us on the nature of this place, and what would be expected of us. There was much to explain, but she finally finished. She asked me if I would be okay with learning with Rick, to start. I agreed, and she led us to a library. She called for someone, and soon, a middle-aged man came. Fatima introduced us, and told him of our desire. He accepted us, and thanked her.

"Folks, come with me." We came to a room, illustrated with a great mural. "You both have a talisman of Aja. This room is her story. What do you know of her?"

Rick said, "I know nothing, beyond the fact she is one of the divine, and has something to do with the forest."

I said, "I carried her greater talisman for a time. I heard her voice often, as she taught me of the life in the forest. Later, I was disciplined by my gods, and she was there. That was the first time I saw her. Later that day, she came to me in person to tell me it was time for her greater talisman to move on to another. She gave me this lesser talisman, and I suggested someone to receive her greater talisman. We traveled a few hours to meet him, and she decided to accept my suggestion. I have seen her once since, when she blessed some sand I used in a painting. Of her story, I know little more than Rick. I read the accounts of some, and have an idea, but no sure knowledge."

"You are indeed blessed. Only a few here have met her. Let us begin. Look at this part of the wall. Here, you will see ..." He went on for hours. We took breaks, and at dinnertime, he brought us to an inn. At least, it seemed like one. Many came to eat here, and I was called upon to tell a tale. I asked what kind they wanted, then gave them one. He then told the host we needed a place to sleep. We were shown to a pair of rooms, and the host apologized for not having a bed suitable for me. I told him it was not important.

In the morning, we were given breakfast. Few others were there. Fatima met us there, and told us the economy was based on trade, service for service. My tale last night gained us room and board for a short time, but we would need to do more to stay a while. Rick offered his services as a shaman, and offered tales as well. I offered my ability as a jewellery maker, a tailor, and storyteller. We were told we could leave our weapons behind, as well as anything else we didn't want to carry around. I changed into off-duty clothes, and left all but a pair of daggers behind.

Rick and I spent the morning apart. I was brought to a taylor's shop, and asked to show my skill. I suggested an outfit for Rick, and Fatima explained who he was. They agreed, and I was given access to cloth, scissors, thread, and needles. Recalling what young men in Rick's town wore, I chose to make a nice version of that. At first, I held my lower arms out of the way. Once all was cut, I began to work with both sets of arms.

Fatima's attitude made me think she would leave shortly, but she stayed, fascinated by my four arms working in concert. The shopkeeper was also surprised at my speed and accuracy. She asked, "How can you be so quick?"

"I have made my own clothes since I hit puberty, and have made clothes for others from time to time. I have learned to cut well by lots of practice. As to the speed, well, with two sets of arms, I go twice as fast. This outfit will need a belt, which I can also make it you want."

The shopkeeper said, "No need. I'll get one for you." Both were clearly surprised at how quick I was. When I finished, the shopkeeper asked, "Have you made fancy clothing?"

"Often. The fanciest was a wedding dress for a friend." I described it, and they were shocked at what it revealed, but also amazed at how complicated it was. This led to a discussion of my jewelry making.

Fatima invited me to lunch, and we took the completed outfit. We spoke of many things about my past in my world. After lunch, I met up with Rick in the library. There, we continued to learn about Aja's story. The next two weeks were much the same. I made some other outfits, and even did a bit of jewelry. Rick said he helped out with the births of some animals, told some tales, and other things. We both met a number of inhabitants.

Once our time listening to the history at the library finished, we met again at Aja's garden. Fatima began, "You both have shown a willingness to help. Now it is time for you to go on a hunt. We need meat, and you will go out to hunt to show your skill. Go north of town, and take up to three days." She then told us the names of several animals. As she did, I focused on my talisman to learn of them. We went back to our room to prepare.

Rick and I departed midmorning. Shortly after we left, I asked, "What do you know about these animals?"

"Very little. I don't think I have heard of some of them."

"Didn't you focus on your talisman?" He shook his head. So I stopped, and pulled out a pencil and paper, and wrote the names down. I gave it to him and said, "Focus on these animals. I will be focusing on something else." We both sat, and I opened my life senses. They were a little muted here, but I was soon able to sense all the larger creatures within a few miles. I then examined the signs to select only the likely ones. When Rick said he was ready, I had about a dozen likely candidates.

I changed course a little, and led the way to the nearest one of modest size. When we approached, I signalled quiet, then pointed. When Rick saw, I signalled him to take this one. I backed him up, but there was no need. His spear throw hit perfectly. The dog-sized animal quickly died. While he bound up the body for carrying, I looked for a larger animal on our list. I offered to carry his kill for a while.

Even burdened as I was, it was Rick who limited the pace. We had to travel farther, but after an hour, I signaled for quiet. I then waited for him to acknowledge me before I lowered my burden and continued silently and slowly. Creeping up, I was able to get fairly close before it got too nervous. Suddenly, I sprang at it, and ran at top speed. While it was faster than a normal human, so am I. I ran after it for almost five minutes before it tired. I caught up and wrestled it to the ground. I then broke its neck, and it suddenly died.

Picking it up, I jogged back to Rick. He said, "Man, you are fast. You outrun it."

"My training regimen gives me endurance, and an unintended consequence of something I did, left me able to run much faster. It was a risk, but a broken neck means it won't lose valuable blood." I put both bodies down, and bound up mine and picked it up. "Pick up your kill, and let's return."