Nigkala Tales Pt. 27: Perchance to Dream

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rick led the way back, and we arrived before dinner. We turned in our kills, then left to wash. There was a buzz, since we returned so quickly, and with a lot of meat. That night, the council met. We were informed of their decision in the morning. We were given a simple map, and told that we were to go to another city. It was beyond the mountains, and we would need to live off the land and cross the mountains on our own. We were also given tokens to show our time here.

We were given the day to prepare and equip ourselves. I got some climbing gear, and a bow and arrows. Additionally, I got a spare bow string, and a box of arrowheads, so I could make more arrows, and twine and bags. Rick got a backpack and other items. We set off the next day.

We started off along the road, and stayed there until we got to the forest. I said, "Rick, we need to forage for food. Much can be found here in the forest, but not close to the road. However, I think you may have spent more time close to the land than I. I can lead when crossing the mountains, as I have trained for that. Would you be willing to lead the way for now?"

"I see what you mean. I am glad you have the wisdom to see your limitations. Yes, I will lead. You are also right about foraging. If you spot an edible plant, say something. Meat, on the other hand, we should stick to small stuff until we are ready to cross the mountains."

Rick consulted his map, and we went off-road in a more direct path to the base of the mountains, near the lowest pass we saw from town. I kept my mind open to the animals about. This let me watch for plants. Last night, I looked in my talisman for what forest plants would be good for food. Lunch was a brief stop to eat some of the plants we collected. As dinner neared, I focused on some meat. It didn't take long before I shot a small creature.

We stopped soon thereafter, and Rick prepared the meat. He chose to make a stew, with more of the plants we collected. We set up our tents, and when Rick asked about predators, I just said we had our own. I summoned it, and told it to keep watch and to protect us. It took nearly three days before the forest turned into foothills. Twice we had to fend off a larger predator.

At that point, we took a day to collect a lot of food and water. I shot a large animal, and we cooked nearly everything in preparation for crossing the mountains. I figured we had about a week's worth of food, and three days of water. We broke camp at first light, and drank our fill at the nearby stream. Once we were out of the forest cover, we could see the mountains, but we were now too close to see the pass.

I summoned the predator again, this time to scout from on high, and in the process, I saw where the pass was. Taking the lead here, I chose the easiest route up. A number of times, I had to help Rick directly, or with a rope, to continue. As we neared the top, it got cold. Finally, we made the pass. Again, the predator scouted for us, and found the best way down. Once we were back into the foothills, I gave Rick back the lead.

We stopped at the first available stream to resupply, as we were in a drier place now. Our choice was to follow the mountains for several days and cross what appeared to be a desert to get to the city, or to go a more direct path that was drier, but not desert. Rick picked the direct path.

Foraging was harder in the dry plains. The second day, we were attacked by pack hunters, like hyenas, but more organized. Even as they came at us, I focused on the talisman to see if they could be eaten safely. They could. I selected the most aggressive and killed it. I then hurt various others and yelled at them. This broke their desire to eat us, and they fled. We took a break to collect meat from the one I killed.

That evening, when we set up camp, I summoned the predator early, to guard us. I asked Rick to hold off lighting a fire. He was curious, but I just cleared a place in the dirt, as though preparing a fire. I then brought out a bag of ordinary sand. I focused on the link I had with Death Valley. Sensing the sand, I caused it to come out of the bag and spread evenly in a circle in the ground. As that worked to plan, I used my link to heat it, as I had in my battle with the mage. I called Rick over and told him to cook the meat while I held the heat.

Although he asked questions, I just focused on the sand. He quickly realized I was busy, so he brought out the cooking gear and began to cook it all quickly. When I saw no more raw meat replacing cooked meat, I knew it was almost over. With the last bit cooked, I dropped the heat. I was exhausted. I lay back and closed my eyes. I fell asleep for a few minutes, and Rick put some meat away, and pulled out some vegetables. When he was ready, he woke me. We ate the freshly-cooked meat, and the vegetables. By the time the meal was over, I had recovered enough that I was able to collect the sand back into the bag.

"How did you do that?"

I gave him a half smile. "I have led an interesting life ever since the gods took an interest in me. There are places in nature that hold power. I... well, accidentally bonded with one. I am part of it, and it is part of me."

"What is it like?"

"It is a desert, and sand is its power. I can influence sand, as the desert can. Great heat is an aspect of the desert."

"That... is interesting."

"I've picked up a few things here and there."

"You've shown a few as well." I grinned, then he said, "Well, goodnight then." We both went to sleep.

Late the next day, we arrived. I worried them. We showed our tokens, and they took us to a temple of some sort. We were left with a pair of guards while they sent for someone.

"I don't think they trust us."

"More me than you, I think." We both smiled, and sat back to wait.

A few minutes later, someone came in. This was an old man. He stopped short when he looked at me, and realized my size and nature. I saw him gulp, and screw up his courage. "Folks, uh, it has been a long time, since we have had seekers. The first step is to learn how you came to our city."

I looked at Rick, and nodded for him to start. He began the tale. Every once in a while, the old man would interrupt for more detail, especially on my part. Finally, Rick concluded, and the old man finally asked me of my role. I added the detail that I was the one who learned how to enter the dreamworld, and that Rick chose to join me.

Rick asked if we would be fed, or if we should use what we carried. Likewise, he asked about a place to sleep. The old man was startled, and said he thought that we had already eaten. He then left, and we heard him raising his voice to someone about their lack of courtesy. He then told them to bring a lot of food, as they had made us miss dinner. Then, he came back in and apologized. Soon, food arrived, and we both relaxed as we ate.

We were shown a place to sleep, and also to wash up. In the morning, I dressed and left the armor and weapons in my room. While I still intimidated people, they no longer had a guard shadowing me.

After breakfast, others interviewed us separately. After lunch, I overheard some guards talking with each other. Apparently, in the early morning, some people went to investigate our claim of driving off a pack. They found the bones, and saw the sword cut that severed the head of the dead one. They also encountered the pack, and saw them scatter at the sight of their swords. This meant that I did as I claimed, and was therefore rather deadly.

Two female guards came to me after dinner, to ask how I became so dangerous. I told them of my childhood desire to become just like my hero, a strong warrior. I told them I trained hard from a young age, and studied combat with several masters. That, and my size, allowed me to become a great warrior. We talked a while about the life of a guard, and they were surprised that I served as a guard captain for over a year.

The next day, they told us of the next step in our quest. Outside the city was a hole in the ground. It led to a cave system where a temple is hidden. Each of us was to go down the hole and find it. We were to copy the message over the statue of Aja and return. We had a week, and would be given sufficient supplies to make the trip. They reminded us that should we die, only our existence in the dreamworld would end. There were dangers in the caves, as some poisonous plants and animals could be found there, and cave-ins and perilous drop-offs could claim our life there.

Rick volunteered to go first, as his lesser size meant it would be easier for him. I saw him off in the morning, and asked if any of the guards wanted to test themselves against me. Some accepted, and we sparred with training weapons. To make it more equitable, I offered to use only one set of arms, or face two at once.

The two ladies I spoke with elected for two-on-one. We all used training weapons, but I used two. I chose to treat this as a lesson, so I tried to be just a little better than them. They turned out to be fairly good, and I might have had some trouble without my greater speed. Still, I knew a few tricks they didn't know, and was able to get past their defenses regularly. After half an hour, we stopped, and talked about the fight. I slowly demonstrated several of the techniques I used on them. Others watched, and soon I had another contestant. This was a large man, and he wanted to go hand-to-hand.

He asked me to not use my upper arms, so I requested a piece of rope that I could use to hold between those hands, so I wouldn't accidentally use them. At first, he tried to hug me like a bear, so I let him and hugged back. He continued to try to dominate me for a good five minutes, but I just mirrored his actions, but a tiny bit harder. Finally, he gave up on hugging, and tried hitting. We separated, and I parried while taking an occasional shot of my own.

Again, after half an hour, we stopped, and discussed the fight. I fought two more times before lunch. After lunch, I asked to study at a library, or perhaps listen to a teacher. They were surprised, so I explained that I came here to learn, not fight. In the evening, I went with one of the guards to relax after dinner at a bar. Most of the time, my date asked for sex, and I wound up sleeping with them.

My fifth day there, was the last day before the weekend, and the bar we were relaxing in was getting rowdy. I mentioned my concern to my date, but he said this was normal. I kept an eye on things, but enjoyed our date. Suddenly, a fight broke out. Soon, it became apparent that it grew beyond the capacity of the bouncer, as he got knocked out. I kept an eye on the leaders, even as more joined in.

My date finally said, "We need to stop this."

"Very well, shall we?"

We both stood and advanced into the mob. I moved quickly to the right side, and used a number of knockout blows to thin them out. My date went to the other side and did what he could to get them to stop. When I got in range of the leaders, I realized their clothes were perfect for a single-hand grab. I smiled at that. Rushing in, I grabbed them both and lifted them off the ground. I used my other arms to block their blows.

I hit both with a whammie, and said, "Stop this now." They both stopped, and I used my now-free hands to knock out two others. By then, the other fighters noticed I was holding two people off the ground. That took the energy out of them, and the fight just ended.

Loudly, I said, "So, what should I do with you two?"

From behind the bar I heard, "Toss them out."

"Sorry, fellas, but you heard the man." I then carried them to the door without letting their feet touch the ground. I opened the door with my other hands, then tossed them out, one at a time. They landed only a few feet away, and I said, "Best cool off for the night, and go home." I then returned to our table, and settled back to my drink.

"You picked up two men at once. Then you carried them to the door and tossed them. Just how strong are you? And those moves, you took the others down so quickly."

"I am not sure just how strong I am, but I am stronger than most. As to taking others down, I know quite a lot about how to fight, and how to take advantage of weak points. My speed helps me pull the attacks off, otherwise, they might be blocked."

"You are amazing, I think I'm in love. "

"Well, I'm not in the market, but I do like to play."

"You want to go to my place and play?"

"Sure. Let's savor our last drink before leaving." So we sat back and enjoyed them, and left a few minutes later.

The sex was energetic. It seemed he was really turned on by a strong woman. So I used my strength to impress him, including holding him up on a wall as I thrust my hips into him.

The day came when Rick should have returned. The old man came to me and asked me to come with him. We traveled to a small office, and he asked me to sit down.

"Obsidian, your companion has not returned. We feared he might be lost or dead. Our priest prayed to learn his fate, and we learned he lies dead within the caves."

I was silent for a bit. "Can we retrieve the body, at least?"

"It would take a lot of effort, as we would have to search the caves, and they are extensive and unmapped. Additionally, they are dangerous, and were chosen for this test because of it. The temple has been there since before our records, so we don't know who made it or when. We will not be sending anyone to search. He came from outside the dreamworld, so he is not truly dead. You are also, so when you depart, you should find him alive in your world."

"I am glad he is not truly gone. Have you learned how he died?"

"We cannot tell you what we know, until you return. It might give you an unfair advantage. If you want to delay your entry unti tomorrow, we have no objection."

"I can go today."

"Then let's be about it."

I dressed in my armor, with my weapons, and was sent off with supplies for a week. I walked close to an hour before I reached the entrance. There was a tall pylon that indicated it, and it was my aim point from the city. My request for lots of twine was questioned, but I hoped to leave a trail back. Tying it to the pylon, I entered, descended, and when I was sure I was out of sight, I summoned the predator. I told it I needed to navigate the cave system, and wanted its help within me, so I could see in the dark and move well.

I felt it enter me, and suddenly I could see a little, and giving a click with my tongue, I got an idea of the nearby caves. I gave my thanks in thought to it, and felt its happiness. Next, I opened my mind to feel for life. I wanted to know what was about before they knew I was there. Lastly, I sought out a divine presence somewhere below ground. Prepared, I continued on down, clicking and unwinding twine.

Each time I came to a choice, I focused and headed toward the divine presence. I got a lot of dead ends, but I could backtrack, and I would wind up twine until I had another option. Then I would tie a knot to mark the dead end, and choose the next possibility. When I came across animals, I would focus on Aja's talisman to learn what it was and what threat it might be.

Eventually, I felt I needed to sleep. I found a dead end, then used my magic to create a steel wire grill closing it off while allowing air to flow. I went to sleep and was not bothered. When I woke, I dismissed the grill after opening my senses. I continued exploring and getting closer. One of the tricks I used, was to toss some meat past a hungry creature that was checking me out. They usually went for it, and less hungry, were willing to retreat.

I would use my sword to cut away poisonous plants. Some hours later, I found the temple. I paused and looked all around, before entering. I didn't want to be attacked while focused on the temple. Inside, I looked in awe and wonder at how exquisite the temple was. I copied the text I found above the statue. I then gave thanks to Aja in prayer and meditation.

Waking sometime later, I realized I had been given a vision of where Rick's body lay. I also saw the statue's hand now held a piece of amber. Reaching out, I took it and put it securely in my pack. Getting up, I embarked, following my vision, and came to where Rick lay. I needed to use my mountain-climbing skill to get down to him. I picked his body up, and climbed back up.

To return, I just followed and wound up my twine. It was harder than expected, as two arms were carrying Rick's body. I needed to rest again, and did as before. When I came out, it was very bright. I released the predator, and the lighting wasn't so bad. I finally untied the twine from the pylon and returned the twine to my pack.

Putting down the body, I considered how best to return to the city. Deciding to take it easy, I used my magic to create a cart to hold the body, and I could pull it behind me, letting its wheels take the weight. I made the wheels large to smooth the travel, and I made it long enough, so his body could be laid out straight. When I returned, they were surprised I had a cart, and more surprised I had brought Rick's body back.

"You found him! How?"

"I was given a vision at the temple."

"That's quite rare. You'll have to tell us all about it."

The old man came hurrying in, and said, "Not here. You need to speak to the committee first. We need to determine what this means."

"What of Rick? Can someone see to his body?"

"Yes, yes, we'll take care of it. George, can you handle it?"

George said he would. He ordered some others to pick his body up and take it for preparation. As soon as the body was clearly out of the cart, I dismissed my magic. Quite a few stopped in shock, but I just walked to the old man.

We left, and walked a ways to a courtyard with a number of seats. Several people were there, clearly waiting, and I was directed to sit and relax while we waited for the final two from the committee. Both arrived within a few minutes, and we began.

I was asked to tell my tale, from when I left the city until I returned. Before I began, I observed each of them with my mental senses, and learned they were curious, not seeking advantage of some type. So I told them everything. They were clearly surprised at my use of twine, so I told them long ago, I had heard a tale from my people's history of a hero doing the same in a maze. It allowed him to search the maze without getting lost, and later to return the way he came.

They also asked me about my predator talisman, and I told them it was one I took from a mage I fought. I did not tell them everything about it, but just the aspect I had used. They asked me about fighting a mage, and I told them I was also a mage. This shocked them. They said they thought I was a shaman like Rick. I replied I am not a shaman, but rather a priestess. I venerate several divine beings, and Aja is one of them.

Continuing my tale, I told of how I used Aja's talisman to determine the nature and threat of all life I encountered below. I showed them the message I copied, and they read it. It said 'You can reshape your dreams for new perspectives.'

They spoke among themselves about what it meant. I asked why they didn't know. They told me the message was unique to the supplicant. No other would likely receive the same message.

I told them that something else had occurred. I described the amber appearing in the statue's hand, and brought it out. This made them silent. Nearly a minute later, the old man asked if he might look at it. I handed it to him. He acted like it was a sacred object. He closed his eyes, and clearly tried to access it. Suddenly, his eyes opened wide.

He gave it back saying, "You are indeed blessed." Turning to the others, he said, "She has been given sacred knowledge. It is clear she has Aja's favor."

I described my vision, and using it to retrieve the body. Lastly, I explained the cart. They then went over every bit of it, often asking me questions about this or that. We slowed down when the meal arrived, but continued for some hours more. Finally, they called the meeting. The old man walked me back to my room, and he explained it might take a few days before they decided my next step. He suggested I relax until then.