Nigkala Tales Pt. 29: Dragon Quest

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Walking back a little, I spread my arms wide, and activated the talisman. Then I triggered the wings. "Myth has her speed quite fast. Time to see how it really works." I then imagined quickly flying up four miles. Stopping high up, I heard a soft boom. I also realized I was higher than I expected, and in under a second. I then got the map out, and figured out what to look for on my return. After putting it away, I imagined quickly flying to my home, but high in the sky. I was amazed at how fast I was moving, yet I felt only a little wind. Hovering when I got there, I again heard a soft boom. It was clearly mid-morning. I focused on my place, specifically my little hidden training area out back. I then quickly flew down into it. Dismissing the wings, I used my life sense to see where everyone was. No one was here. I walked to the shed, and inside to get to my secret library and collected my magic notebook. I then went back to Jiao-long by reversing the steps.

While hovering high over Cairo, I wasn't sure I had the correct location, so I focused on the dragon tattoo to try and sense where Jiao-long was. Turns out I was right over him. I then quickly flew down. He was meditating beneath a tree, and didn't notice me until the soft boom sounded.

"Where did you go?"

"I went home and got this." I handed him my journal.

"You went to California and back? It hasn't been that long. That's what, about thirty thousand kilometers round trip?"

"What's that in miles?"

"... I think something over eighteen thousand."

"The legends are right. She could fly anywhere in the world in just minutes."

"Nice."

"Shall we head to your place next? I want to train with the new abilities."

"Very well. Training should be interesting." We made a detour to collect some Nile water in several glass balls I created. An hour later, we were in his place after transferring at the imperial city. Soon, I told him what was discovered, and we worked out a training plan to get the most out of our time, as we didn't know how long we would have. After the sessions he read my journal, and we discussed my journey of magic discovery. I also updated the spells and magic I picked up at the academy, but they were the second book he had given me. He was amazed at how many spells I had picked up, and how much I learned of magic in the short time I was there.

The first thing we learned of these new powers was that they were slow to activate. The initial engagement of the talisman took a few seconds. Using any of the powers took a moment of thought, and did not work like a reflex. This basically precluded using it in combat in a reactive way. But if I knew ahead of time, I could mobilize them at a moment's notice. Once we realized that, I was able to pick off objects tossed at me with a telekinetic burst. We also learned that I could use it to push, pull, or lift multi-ton rocks. I could even carefully lift Hugeng and fly him with me.

The other thing we trained with was one of the skills I had hidden from the others. I was able to appear as another. I could even appear as one that only existed in my imagination. While using this, I added telekinesis to make the surface seem to be real, as far as touch was concerned. Thus, to sight and touch, I was as I seemed. Hugeng was quite surprised when I showed him Obsidian, and Kitty. He was quite impressed at my combat prowess as Obsidian, and that I was able to fight four-handed. He was also intrigued that I could fight two-handed, and use the others to cast spells.

After pushing me about using spells during combat, he had me do my best when I was not four-armed. I slipped up, and accidentally cast a spell in that combat, but I didn't use my real arms. When he realized that, he immediately stopped the sparring, and asked me what happened. That's when I told him that my effort in making the Obsidian character real, made me develop the mental skill to control a second set of arms even as the main set were occupied. I then said I tried casting spells with the second set of arms while wearing the prosthetic arms. When satisfied with that, I tried it without them. It wasn't as clean, but it seemed to work, so I practiced, until I could cast with my real arms, or with my imaginary arms.

While I was able to generate active shielding, it just wasn't fast enough for combat. Oh, if I knew where to expect an attack, it would be great. I could run to a line of enemies shooting at me shielded, but in the midst of enemies, it would almost be useless. I could use it to create a 'wall' to keep people off of me from one side, but that would be about it.

The generation of water was worked on at the end of a session, as a means of cooling off, and of having something to drink. I was not initially interested in working on it, but Hugeng said having a reliable source of water could make survival much more certain. I deferred using the Nile water, as I felt it was more toward the healing end of her magic, that I wanted to work on later, at home.

We were still working on the shielding, when an official summoned Hugeng. It seemed that the restless province had decided to act, and had assembled a fair-sized army. The little detail I overheard made me realize I had to help. So when Hugeng answered that he would come immediately, I just walked to his side and said I would join him.

"Becky Sue, you owe nothing to the Imperial Emperor. And you might be killed if you come."

"I know. But you are my friend, and what he says is happening is an evil I would gladly fight."

"You don't even know how to work with the Imperial Army."

"But you do, I assume, and I can do as you. Enough excuses. It is time to go."

Hugeng sighed, "Very well. I will help you adapt as I can, but stay very close." Turning back to the official, he said, "Let's return by way of my place. I can collect what I need, and she can prepare what she needs, as well."

"Do you vouch for her?"

"I do."

"Very well, but be quick."

We headed there at a jog, and I spoke with Hugeng telepathically, asking what I needed. He said I could probably create clothing, food, and water as needed, but I should start with armor and weapons. So I rushed into my room, and used a spell to instantly get naked, then I created a duplicate of my movie armor and weapons for Obsidian, but for only two arms. I used my Sumerian footwear, but with modern metal, as I knew how good it was, by experience. I met Hugeng and the official in only four minutes, ready for battle, with a heavy spear, two swords, bow and arrows, and several daggers. I even added the markings Hugeng told me to add to show I obeyed him. He didn't bother with armor, but he had a number of belts or straps holding his weapons and such.

When the official saw me, he said, "You look impressive, but can you use all that?" I just smiled, and Hugeng chuckled. "Well then, let's go." Hugeng set out at a fast jog, and the official was having difficulty keeping up. We went through the gate to the imperial city and the official was wheezing a bit before realizing that his transport was missing.

"Where is the cab? It was supposed to wait here. Someone's going to get it."

"Do we need to go someplace other than the palace?"

"Yes. We need to use the Mountain gate. There's no way we can get there quickly on foot."

Hugeng said, "We can run there, if there is that much need for speed."

"That would be great, but I must escort you. Security is tight."

I spoke telepathically to Hugeng, "I could make a rickshaw, and pull him behind me at speed, and we could run there. I will follow you."

He returned the thought, "Make it."

So, while the official was not looking, I used Aja's and Everest's powers to create a rickshaw, with wide wheels and a single well padded seat. I also included seat belts to keep him in, over any bumps. The shock-absorbers were simple springs, but better than nothing. I placed my spear, bow, and quiver in the side shelf and secured them. Then I spoke up, "Sir, I will pull you in this. Lord Hugeng will lead, and we will get to the gate quickly."

He turned around and said, "Where did that come from?"

Hugeng spoke before I could, and said, "Magic."

"It's a long way to pull someone."

"The sooner you get in, the sooner we can start."

He was hesitant, but finally did climb aboard. I telepathically explained to Hugeng about the belts, springs, and other things, so he could get the official securely in. Finally, the official said, "I am ready."

Hugeng nodded, and I followed. Then he began jogging, and I followed at the same pace. I pulled in Everest's power of endurance. Once we cleared the city, Hugeng sped up, and I followed right behind. On the straight parts he went full out, and I followed only a little further back, so I could slow when needed without losing my passenger. While the wheels were fairly large, it was still a bumpy ride for him. We turned off the main road to go down a winding side road. The curves kept the speed down, but we went about as fast as a marathon runner. Finally, we arrived at a large, temple-like building.

Hugeng said, "We have arrived." I pulled over to the side, and helped the official down, before re-arming myself. It was clear that the ride was a bit rough on him, but he didn't complain.

By this time, a selection of guards had come out and they had their weapons drawn. Hugeng was speaking with them, but since he seemed to be relaxed, I just kept silent and did not draw my own weapons. Instead, I just walked with the official as he joined Hugeng, then I stood up straight behind Hugeng. I opened my mind for leaks, so I could get a clue as to what was happening.

Turned out this was a restricted gate, and that the guards were here to keep everyone out, unless they had the right credentials. Our official had those credentials, some of which were verbal. Eventually, they let us through. Again, there was a group of guards, but they had an extra horse for the official. Turns out he is much better a rider than a runner. We set off, and must have done at least fifteen miles more before we arrived at the main camp.

Hugeng went to the command tent, with the official next to him, and me behind. When we tried to enter, I was blocked, and Hugeng was trying to get the guard to let me in. While it didn't get heated, the volume rose a little, and I could tell Hugeng was getting exasperated that I could not enter on his own authority. The official stayed out of it, beyond indicating that Hugeng had vouched for me. Suddenly, the tent flaps opened, and out came someone I knew.

"What's all this ruckus out here? Oh high, Lord Hugeng."

"Sir, while he is approved, she is not."

"Who?"

I stepped into view, and said, "Well met, Lord Monkey."

"Becky Sue? What brings you here? It is not your fight."

"True, but he is my friend. Also, what little I have heard about this fight leads me to think it is an evil that should be fought as opposed to a mere political spat over who controls what."

"You understand the danger?"

"I do. I was guard captain in a bronze age city for over a year. I also protected traveling merchants. I have killed, and risked my life before."

"Very well, come on it."

"Thank you, Lord Monkey." When he turned and went in, I followed. Hugeng and the official followed me in.

There were a number of others in the tent, as well as a central map with a lot laid out on it. I studied it a few moments before falling in behind Hugeng. Monkey said, "All, this is Lord Hugeng and his friend, Becky Sue Tate. She is as capable a fighter as he is, she is also quite smart, and commands some magic herself. As such, she is an unexpected benefit, and she has chosen to aid us. I intend to use her. Now let's get back to the planning. Lord Feng has left us no choice...."

When I realized he was going through a battle plan, I opened my mind, and invoked Isis's power to listen to the leakage. From that, I actually got a fairly good idea of what had really happened, and what they proposed to do. As he and others spoke I thought about it, given my own experience back in Sumeria. I only saw a few things, and most of them were asked or answered later. When he asked for any last questions, I stepped up.

He looked at me, so I spoke, "Lord Monkey, I noted your description of the area on the southern side. Such areas often have shallow caves, and thus places to hide. My own experience leads me to think it would be a fairly easy place for our opponent to ambush troops going through."

"You have a point. I don't think it likely, but gentlemen, keep this in mind." I stepped back to indicate that was all I had. Another also had a minor point. He then dismissed most, keeping Hugeng, myself, and another soldier back.

"Lord Hugeng, Ms. Tate, this is Detachment Commander Tian. You will be under his command. I am glad you made it in time to hear most of the main meeting. The Commander will give you your assignments.

"I am pleased to meet you, Lord Hugeng. I already have you slotted into my plans. However, Ms. Tate is an unknown. I don't know her abilities. Come, both of you to my tent, and we can discuss things."

We all took our leave, and followed him to his own tent. Once there, I saw it was a lesser command tent. Soon, we were discussing my abilities. Hugeng started with, "Commander, she was a potent warrior when I met her. We sparred daily for over a year, for the joy of it. On a good day, she can take me. If she adds offensive magic, she can take me on a bad day as well."

"So, she is a battle mage?"

"Sort of. She is a battle priestess, with several types of magic. In a battle with only mage-style magic, I would defeat her, I think. But she is full of surprises, and may have picked up some things I am unaware of. Her priestly magic, however, is far stronger."

"So, Ms. Tate, you are a priestess. Whom do you serve?"

"I mostly serve Queen Inanna, of the Sumerian pantheon. She is a goddess of sex and war, and I initially served her in a military capacity. I also serve Lord An, King of the Sumerian pantheon. I also have connections to three others."

"Ms. Tate, we travel light and fast. Are you able to ride a horse?"

"Yes, but I have not fought with one. Nor have I cared for one. I served as infantry, generally. I can shoot a bow from a horse."

"That will be a problem."

"I don't know if I can run for a whole day, but I ran alongside as we hurried here from the gate. I noted the horse was winded."

"Unlikely. Running about forty imperial li should leave you worn out."

Hugeng interrupted, "She augments her body with divine magic. As such, she can outrun me over three times the distance. And if need be, she can use other divine magic to go even faster, but it tends to get too much attention for her liking."

"Shy? That could be a problem. She is the only female in my command, and I will have to figure out what to do with her, as far as quarters."

"She is not shy. Not by a long shot. But she is humble in the use of power. As to being the only female, being the priestess of a goddess of sex means she is very familiar with sex. I have seen her at a casual gangbang of her own desire. I know she routinely has enjoyed orgies. On the other hand, when she chooses, she can seem sexless for weeks or months on end."

"Interesting. I already have a decent-sized tent for you, Lord Hugeng. Would it be acceptable to quarter her with you?"

"That would be simplest, and we are already used to each other's company. I can also use the time to teach her our rules of warfare."

The commander turned to me, and said, "You don't know the rules? Your speech is very refined, so I am surprised you don't know our ways better."

"I was taught by a learned scholar, at the command of the imperial palace. While I can speak the language, and write elegantly, I am still a foreigner. I know the rules of ancient Sumeria, I am familiar with my own land's rules, but not yours. However, I expect if I keep several opponents busy, others can kill or capture, as appropriate. Likewise, if I knock them out. But if it is to kill, then I can do that, but I want explicit instructions to do so."

"Lord Hugeng, while that will suffice for now, teach her quickly."

"I shall."

"Outside, you will find your camp aide. He will deal with your tent. We move out early tomorrow." He dismissed us.

We spent the rest of the day getting to know the people under his command. We got a meal, and I sparred with a few of them, so they could see I was skilled. We went to our tent and settled in for the night. Our aide found bedding and a backpack for me. I filled it, as Hugeng suggested. Then we went to bed. When I sensed the camp waking up, I got up and dressed. Hugeng was up and ready as well. Exiting, he led me over where they were handing out breakfast. A simple meal that could be eaten in one hand without utensils. While the camp was broken down, we ate, and Hugeng filled me in on their rules of combat. We spoke telepathically, so as not to alarm anyone. When the command came to mount up, I followed Hugeng, and we took our places to the side near the head of the line. I resumed my thought monitoring, and also invoked Everest's endurance.

While I got some looks, they soon disappeared as we moved out. The horses were going as fast as they could sustain over a long time, and I was easily keeping up. When Commander Tian pulled up beside me, half an hour in, he asked how well I was handling the pace, I told him I was fine, and thought I could keep this up all day, if needed.

We traveled for three days, and I impressed all but my friend, by easily keeping up. By this time, I had learned the rules of combat. The soldiers accepted me as a superior fighter, having sparred with me in a number of ways. The next day, we would not break camp, but we would travel an hour to encounter the enemy. The commander wanted Hugeng and I to engage from their rear, and keep them bottled up from easily leaving. We broke off about two miles before we expected to encounter them. Running at his full speed, we curled around to the side, and went around them. Our intent was to capture the leaders, but the commander wanted us to kill the rank and file. Hugeng was in dragon form, and I was off a ways to the side, with my spear at the ready. I waited for him to announce himself before I started. In the meantime, I used An's power to listen in to see who was in command. Hugeng also looked for them, and we kept telepathic contact so we could coordinate.

When we made ourselves known, the leading rider tried to run me over. Rather than ducking, I ran toward him, then leaped up and I speared him as I went over him. He was pulled off, and fell dead, while I flipped and landed on my feet. I then went for the next one. While a few passed us, we stopped nine out of ten, and many turned back rather than face us. Suddenly, we saw the enemy commander with two large bodyguards coming at us. As I closed, I threw my spear at the bodyguard on my side, as Hugeng took out the other one with magic. When I jumped for the commander, he tried to use a sword on me, but I blocked it with a dagger. I used a hardened fist with extra strength, and got several solid hits that knocked him out.

Several others that came with him came at me, so I switched to twin swords, and fought with his unconscious body at my feet. Hugeng soon battled through them, and joined me, at which point they decided to run. I got several with thrown daggers, and Hugeng got a few with magic. Soon after, their force collapsed. Later, Commander Tian interrogated the leader, and sent him and one other off with a small escort back to Lord Monkey. We did this twice more, and all returned after the third battle.

Back with the main group, Lord Monkey heard Commander Tian's report on me, and decided to help out my reputation as a superior fighter by sparring with me for an hour after dinner. We decided to both use staffs, and so, with a large area marked off. We commenced. After a minute, Lord Monkey said to go faster. Again, and again, he said so, until I was going as fast as I could. As before, I was unable to penetrate his defense, but I think I blocked more than before. Near the end, I even tried one of his own weapon tricks, and used telekinesis to wield the staff. That did surprise him, and got him laughing. Afterwards, he told me my remote staff fighting was good, but not as good as when I used my own hands. He also told me I had improved a little since last time.