All Comments on 'No Second Acts'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Your romantic story would be a more enjoyable read without your detailed racist views.

trigudistrigudisabout 8 years agoAuthor
They Are Not My Views!

They are the views of Barry, the main male character, a who I modeled after several people I knew back then that expressed like sentiments. They are no more my views than an actor playing an evil person in a play or movie.

trigudistrigudisabout 8 years agoAuthor
To My Readers

Due to the controversial racial views of the protagonist in this story, I probably should have written a preface, making clear that his (Barry's) views in no way reflect those of my own. Some people did think that way in the 60s, and some still do. Let's not sugarcoat the truth.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Great Story

I remember that time, although only 12. You captured it well.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Great then not so great

Shocked by the racist stuff.

The forgotten condom shouted loud and clear a pregnancy was coming.

The ending was insipid and not worthy of you. You clearly had a time issue that forced a quick termination of the story. Spoiled a good read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Well Done

Not a very fun story, but very realistic to that era. You have captured the characters and the ways of people very well.

In this day and age not politically correct.

But as an observation, I see more prejudice and discrimination now than there was 50 or 60 years ago.

You earned my 5 vote, good writing.

SampkyangSampkyangabout 8 years ago
barry

he was better off NOT to marry that slut who would dishonor a promised love. she out grew him??? she grew DOWN below him. 5*s very nice writing,

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

What a depressing freakin story.

But sometimes, that's life.

jntiquesjntiquesover 7 years ago

Dear Author, a unique and very well written story of youth and folly. I too lived during that era and unfortunately was rejected from serving, unlike Barry. The times were difficult for everyone, me bagging groceries and riding a Honda for transportation.

I too met a girl on a blind date but ended up happily married. I can empathize with the "Barry experience" and thank you for writing a story with such feelings.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 6 years ago
Realistic!

Young people do change and this story was a realistic look at what can really happen. It's all too easy and fresh when you're in college and the whole world looks so big and you think you can do anything. Then reality sets in and your options shrink and shrink until you have to move in ways you don't like. I remember the days this story talks about when all this happened. I had a girl friend who thought we should marry and I didn't. Maybe it was cowardice on my part - it's hard to believe I was that smart as a 24 year-old 2nd Lt in the Army in 1961, but I somehow knew I was too young to make big lifetime decisions and moved on. I'll always second guess that decision and wonder where I'd be today if I had rolled the dice and taken the gamble. 4* for a good story and a chance to reminisce.

nighthawk22204nighthawk2220410 months ago

I have read your story before and left you without comment. Today I find more detail in it that replicates much of my own life, realizing that our cultures are strongly framed around the issues of finance, race, religion, politics and sex. I don't consider any of your story to be racist, but very realistic about the racial and criminal aspects of our cultures. I finished college and ROTC gave me an officer's commission in 1964, leaving a couple unimpregnated girlfriends behind. I voted for JFK and thought he would keep the US on the track for peace but JFK was assassinated before I started active duty and LBJ accelerated the nation into massive warfare in Asia. I went to RVN in 1966, leaving another girl behind in Denver, who I knew wanted to marry, but I wasn't committed to a married life. We corresponded often, but I never wrote of any commitment of undying love and when I returned in 1967 uninjured, she was engaged to another but we still spent our last night together in her bed and I went on to graduate school. I reminisce in three great songs: Leaving on a Jet Plane; I Left my Heart in San Francisco;, and Gotta Get Outta This Place. I never was a Beatles fan.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...