No Way Out Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 11 - Everlasting Scars

2:00pm, Wednesday, January 22d. Two vehicles came through the TCPD cordon on the road that an in front of and below The Cabin. One of them was my Police SUV, with me driving, the Sheriff riding shotgun, and NCPD Chief Molly Evans in back. Behind us was a gray car with Town & County Examiner reporters Lisa Fillmore and Alison McFarland. Alison was going to be Lisa's camerawoman.

It seemed eerily quiet as we got out of the vehicles and went to the front door. I brought a small plastic bag with a few items, and we went inside. I thought I was mentally prepared for what I was going to see. I was not.

It literally looked like a tornado had demolished the insides of the house. Literally no piece of furniture had escaped serious damage, with the exception of the desk in my office. I saw the shattered cups and tea caddy on the floor and the opened trap door to the wine cellar cave below.

"First things first." I said, going to the kitchen. Stepping carefully among the shards of what once had been kitchen plates, I saw that the cans of cat food in the pantry had been swept to the floor, but appeared intact upon closer examination. I took the aluminum foil I'd brought in the plastic bag, opened two cans and dumped them onto a piece of foil, and headed out onto the back deck, with the Sheriff following.

I placed the food where I normally put cat food for Tiger Mom and her pride of feral cats. By the time I got back to the back door, famished cats were hungrily feasting upon the food. The Sheriff stayed on the deck, sitting on my metal mesh loveseat... the only piece of deck furniture not thrown over the edge of the deck down the hill.

Having taken care of the feral feline family, Molly and I and the reporters went downstairs to look around. The damage to the basement living quarters was bad, but nowhere near as bad as the bedrooms on the second floor. Alison McFarland was taking photographs and Lisa Fillmore was taking notes. I'd told them they couldn't video my home, and I wanted veto power over any photos shown, and Alison had agreed. She and Lisa were as shocked as the rest of us.

And then we went to the attic room. Molly gasped and failed to keep from crying as she saw the utter destruction of Lego City and the Troy Transcontinental Railroad to the bricks, literally. She pointed at the smashed brown and beige railcar, and asked Alison to take a photo of it...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:00pm, Wednesday, January 22d. Jim had stayed with his brothers Ross and Ian at Molly's condo in Nextdoor County, and Buddy had stayed there to help supervise the three rowdy boys. Today she picked them up from their preschool and brought them and Buddy to the Mountain Nest.

Bowser was happy to see his buddy Buddy return, but he was much, much happier when the Sheriff came through the door... with me. Bowser practically tackled me by running up to me and putting his front paws on my leg. I actually picked him up and received a face full of canine love as I held and petted my overjoyed dog.

Okay... Carole's overjoyed dog. I put Bowser back down just in time to be 'assaulted' by my firstborn child, who ran up and tried to tackle my legs like Wildcats linebacker Davis Smith tackled his Bulldogs opponents.

"Okay, let's go sit down." I said after giving Laura a long, warm hug. I sat down on the sofa against the far wall with Laura, while the Sheriff and Molly sat on the near-side sofa.

"It went almost exactly as you predicted." Laura said. "But it was a good thing Teresa and Melina stayed here overnight. I don't think anyone expected Halsey to try to shoot Bowser in front of everyone."

"I heard about that." I said, petting Bowser, who was sitting on the floor in front of me. "You okay, Bowser?" As Bowser looked up at me with pure love in his canine eyes, I said "I heard Bowser had his Badge on. Whose idea was that?"

"Mine." Carole said. "I was hop-ing it would protect him from being hurt. But that very bad man tried to hurt Bowser anyway. There's something wrong with that man, Daddy. The kind of 'wrong' that some of Mommy's patients are like." How a six-year-old understood her mother's medical profession and what her patients were like was beyond my comprehension at the moment. And more, for my six-year-old child to see far enough ahead to put Bowser's badge on his collar was extraordinary.

But that was Carole...

"Carole is spot-on about Halsey." growled Sheriff Griswold. "That man is nuts. He has literally gone over the cliff." Carole nodded vigorously in agreement.

I said "Because Bowser had his badge on, we are charging Halsey with trying to kill a Police K-9 Corps Officer, which he will find is no small legal matter. So that was a smart idea, Carole." I fist-bumped Carole, who was now sitting between me and Laura.

"Daddy," Carole said, "Mommy's not happy that I ran out to help Bowser."

"You got that right." Laura said, bit darkly. "Don, your fearless daughter ran out of the 'Puter Room where Teresa and I were keeping her, and ran in here and put herself between Bowser and Halsey's gun. She does not seem to be accepting my explanation that her life is more important than a dog's."

"I had to protect Bowser." Carole said defensively. "He's family, like Tasha and Jim and Ross and Ian."

"Yes, he is." I said. "You were very brave, Carole. C'mere." I gave my daughter a big hug.

"And you saved our Police dog's life, too." growled Griswold.

"You two are not helping." Laura said. Molly burst out laughing at that.

"Daddy," Carole said as Jim, Ross, and Ian came downstairs, "are Tiger Mom and her kittens okay?"

"Yes." I said. "I went and fed them just before we came here."

"How bad is it?" Laura asked. My look told her more than words possibly could, and everything she needed to know.

"It's bad." Carole said simply.

"Is our Lego City okay?" Ross asked.

I did not sugarcoat it. "No. They tore it down."

"Dad," Ian said, "can we go see what the FBI did to the house?" Adults began looking at each other.

I looked at Molly for a second, then looked at Ian and said "No point in delaying it. Let's go..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura was stunned at the damage. Carole was focused like a laser beam, and barely noticed the house as she went to the back deck. Her mission was to go out back and check on Tiger Mom and the kittens. "They're okay." she reported after seeing them by the side of the house, though they did not approach her nor the deck.

I took the boys up to the attic room. When they got to the top of the stairs, I watched their reactions. Jim was the most stoic about it, seeming to take it in stride. Ross looked angry. But it was Ian that felt the pain the most.

He saw the brown and beige toy car lying smashed on the floor and went over and picked it up. Tears were rolling down my four-year-old son's cheeks as he held the destroyed car that he and I had worked together on for so long and so carefully.

I knelt down beside him, the pain in my back no match for the pain in my heart as I wondered what to say. It was Jim that spoke first: "We can rebuild all this. And you can build more train cars, Ian." I appreciated his positive mental attitude.

"But we can't fix this one." Ian said, trying not to break down crying. He looked at the toy train car again, then bitterly uttered the words "I hate the FBI!"

Something inside me just knew that this was not a here-and-now event, that scars were forming on Ian's heart as well as his mind that would last his entire life.

"I know, son." I said, as I took the train car from him and held it gently in my hand. "We'll get 'em back for this."

"How, Dad?" asked Ross. "They're the FBI."

I looked at all of my sons, and said "We may not get them back today. We may not get them back tomorrow. But it doesn't matter how big they are. We will find a way to get them back. Remember, gentlemen... never let an insult pass."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Molly took the boys back to Nextdoor County for another night, again under Buddy's supervision. Our favorite Cocker Spaniel seemed to be very aware of Ian's pain, and all but made Ian give him skritchins.

Laura and Sheriff Griswold took Carole home. I stayed behind for a few minutes. I went into the far garage, where the Black Beauty normally was kept. Everything that was on shelves had been shoved onto the floor, and my toolbox emptied and its contents hurled away. Not to find anything, but simply to destroy as much as possible.

But I found what I was looking for. The plexiglass that had covered the map of the Town & County, and had provided the protection for the 'DEER ME, MR. HOLMES, DEER ME' slip of paper, the tiny slip that had brought down the Consultant of Crime, Raymond Kyle Westboro, had been cut from a larger sheet. I found the rest of the sheet and went to work.

I cut out rectangles just large enough to hold the railcar, and screwed them together. I put little hinges on one side to act as a door. Then I went into my office and rummaged through the papers and office supplies all over the floor until I found a pen and a notepad, which had light blue paper and, in darker blue ink, a TCPD Badge and 'From the desk of... Commander Donald Troy' on top.

I wrote a note, folded the paper into a small slip, and put it inside the end of the damaged railcar, willing God and the Universe to guide Ian to find it when the time was right. Then I put the railcar inside the plexiglass box, and left it on the desk while I started cleaning up the office...

Part 12 - Political Ploys

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, January 23d, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with the State Office Building in the background. "In a stunning move, the State Legislature fails to override Governor Jared's veto of the Independent State Counsel!"

Bettina began: "Republican State Attorney General Karl Handel named Robert Mullen as Independent State Counsel, with the mandate to investigate Town & County Police Officer Donald Troy for the alleged crime of having sex with a woman in his custody. Deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared immediately formally objected to the creation of the ISC, throwing the matter into the State Legislature for resolution."

Bettina: "Three-fifths majorities in each Chamber of the State Legislature was required to override the Governor's objection, and it was widely expected that they would, and the process of investigating Donald Troy could begin. However, in a stunning vote last night, the measure failed in both Chambers of the Legislature!"

Bettina: "In the State House, only 45 of the 96 Legislators voted for the measure to override Jared's objection, and only 8 of 36 State Senators supported the objection. Many Democrats stated they voted against it because they did not want to give Republican Karl Handel anything he could use in his run for Governor. Republicans were mixed in their reasons, most of which were support for the Governor or for Donald Troy, with some saying the ISC process was too time-consuming and would be a waste of State tax dollars. Roll tape."


Tape rolled, showing State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone (D - Southport) saying "An Independent State Counsel investigation of Commander Troy would take months, and very likely turn out to be nothing. Why should we give Karl Handel all that air time and free Media publicity?"

State Senator Moe Molinari (R - Westphalia and Eastphalia) said "I support the Governor's objection. Handel's idea of an ISC for this is ridiculous from the start."

Back to Bettina live: "However, one other important reason emerged. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Bettina interviewing State Senator Katherine Woodburn (D - 1st District). "One reason I am opposed to an expensive Independent State Counsel process is because this is a job the SBI Inspector is supposed to already be doing. Inspector Britt Maxwell should already be investigating this matter, and bringing charges against Donald Troy if there is any merit to the accusations. What we need to know is why State Inspector Britt Maxwell is not doing her job!"

Back to Bettina live: "Many Social Justice groups are also demanding that Inspector Maxwell investigate Donald Troy, while others are saying that it's too late, that Inspector Maxwell is covering for Donald Troy and Val Jared, and that she should resign immediately."

Bettina: "And now let's go to reporter Amber Harris for more news on charges that Judge Rodney K. Watts took bribes.Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Amber Harris, who was somewhere in the copse of trees southeast of the Courthouse, with said Courthouse complex in the background. "The State Bar has recommended to the State Supreme Court that Judge Rodney K. Watts be suspended and referred to the State Legislature for Impeachment for possibly taking bribes in exchange for favorable rulings for Commander Donald Troy and also circumventing established processes in allowing some adoptions out of turn. The State Bar cannot suspend a judge like they can lawyers admitted to the Bar, but their recommendation will carry a lot of weight with the State Supreme Court and the Legislature---"

The screen split, and Bettina said "Amber, did the State Bar show any actual evidence that Judge Watts took bribes?"

Amber: "The State Bar has not shared anything they might have with us. However, their spokesperson said that the seriousness of the charge is the reason why Judge Watts needs to be suspended pending further investigation. And it is very important that we have honest judges, especially with the very serious allegations against Donald Troy that will require sealed evidence to be turned over to the FBI and the State..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What the hell is that about?" asked Captain Tanya Perlman as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. Only Commander Cindy Ross was not present in the room for the command coffee klatch.

"What part?" I asked back.


"Amber, and that part about Judge Watts." said Tanya.

"I suspect it's part of what's coming next, the State's attempt to take me down after the Feds failed." I said.

"Have they failed?" asked Chief Moynahan. "Is the Federal part of this really o-verrr?"

"Oh, it's over, all right." Commander Teresa Croyle said bitterly.

"No, I'm afraid it's not." I said. "But the Feds are going to have to piggyback on the State's case, then try to push their own. They do have some jurisdiction, still, since we were transporting Betty Morelli to a Federal Grand Jury appearance, and they want to press the old law about taking a woman across State lines for illicit purposes. But to Teresa's point, they're on thin ice after that document was shown to be a forgery."

Sheriff Griswold growled: "Thank God for small favors that you never signed your name 'James D. Troy', but always some form of 'Donald Troy'. They must have some special kind of stupid people working for them, to make that kind of mistake!"

"Yes sir." I said agreeably. "And like you said, sir, thank God for small favors. I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth."

"At least you didn't get another five a.m. wake-up call this morning, Commanderrrr." said the Chief. "Or are you expecting another no-knock warrant like that from the State?"

I said. "I hear tell that some backlash against the FBI for that is building up. We'll just have to see."

"So what's our next moooove?" asked the Chief.

"We've got to do something about the shots they're taking at Britt Maxwell." growled the Sheriff. "She's a good person, and honest, and they're trying to take her down over this."

"Sheriff, you should tell the Governor to ask her to open an investigation." I said. "There's no reason for her to take flak on this."

"I've already talked to Val about this." said Griswold. "And our concern is that like your testimony to the State Legislature: no matter what she says or does, they'll come after her if the doesn't find... or create... something on you. If she exonerates you, or she can't find anything, they'll accuse her of covering for you and go after her anyway..."

I nodded. There just seemed to be no way out of this mess. And it could only get worse...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith. It is a busy news day, today."

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith Peller. "Yes, between the political shenanigans at the State Capitol, the FBI's raid on Commander Donald Troy's home, and the findings that the document Commander Troy allegedly signed was a forgery, it's been explosive."

Catrina said "And we will have an exclusive for you regarding what can only be described as an FBI assault on Commander Troy's home."

"But first," Meredith said, "here's the latest news. The State Legislature refused to override Governor Val Jared's formal objection to State A.G. Karl Handel creating an Independent State Counsel to investigate TCPD Commander Troy for allegedly having sex with a woman in his custody."

Catrina: "The surprise vote came last night, and many Legislators cited their reasons for not voting against Governor Jared was because they thought Handel's actions were purely political and for his own benefit in his run for Governor."

Meredith: "As a result, there will be no Independent State Counsel at this time, but sources tell Fox Eight News that State Attorney Glenn Alberts will be investigating the State's case at the request of State AG Handel."

Catrina: "State Attorney Alberts headed the legal team that unsuccessfully defended the University in the Jan Camp lawsuit, after Dr. Camp accused the University of favoring student-athletes."

Meredith: "And in a surprise move, the State Bar recommended that the State Supreme Court refer Judge Rodney K. Watts to the State Legislature for Impeachment for bribery charges."

Catrina: "The State Bar has shown no evidence that Judge Watts took bribes, but said that the seriousness of the charge mandated their action against Judge Watts."

Meredith: "But the big story today is the backlash the FBI has gotten over their raid of Donald Troy's home yesterday morning."

Catrina: "Fox Eight News has obtained an exclusive report on the damage. You will not see this on our competitors's newscasts. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Lisa Fillmore in the driveway in front of The Cabin, saying: "This is Lisa Fillmore, Town & County Examiner Online! We have been given exclusive access to Donald Troy's home after the FBI ransacked it. We also have with us FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone, who was not a part of the Joint FBI-ATF Task Force that did the damage you are about to see."

Lisa: "Mr. Muscone, the FBI had a warrant at the time, though it was later rescinded. So why is what they did so reprehensible?"

Jack Muscone: "Lisa, the warrant authorized them to search for documentation that supported the allegations they were making against Commander Troy. What they did was far in excess of anything they needed to do."

A photo of the destroyed dining room table was shown as Jack Muscone said "For example, this dining room table was solid wood, and there was nothing hidden in it. Yet, as you can see, it was splintered for no reason other than to cause damage."

"Another example," said Muscone, as the destroyed fireplace glass panels were shown, "this fireplace was clear glass all the way around. There was no need to destroy the glass to look inside the fireplace. This damage was done solely for the sake of damaging Commander Troy's property."