Old Blood and New Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vyn thought they would go back to the townhouse, since it was so late at night.

But then, as they got back into the carriage, he remembered.

Vampires are fucking nocturnal.

This blood drinking fucker was all for the night scene, and he'd outlast almost everyone.

Vyn winced as the Duke took a walking cane, tapped the carriage's ceiling, and then talked about their next destination. The Duke didn't have a limp or anything. He just had a cane because it was was what rich men did. They carried around canes, sometimes hooking it onto a button or something. This one had a gold plated handle with pearls.

They soon arrived at a townhouse. The Duke said it belonged some rich merchant that had sent two of his daughters off to marry nobles. Inside, they were led to a large table where multiple men, many of them smoking or drinking, were playing a card game, and they had plenty of cash on the table in both coins and paper bills.

Vyn shook his head at the sight. "What's the point of gambling when you're rich?"

"Curing boredom," the Duke whispered to him before he greeted the merchant. Vyn took up a chair a bit behind the Duke, since he wasn't interested in playing. He only watched the game in silence, although he was served some food and water. He was even offered some powder for a pipe, but Vyn said he didn't have a pipe and he didn't particularly want one either.

Nobody in the room seemed concerning. Vyn couldn't see a single hint.

The Duke soon lost enough money to match what an average tailor would make in half a year. Then he won triple that amount right back. A few more rounds were like that, losing, but soon gaining more than enough to cover it. By the time the Duke got up and said he was done, he had a damn box full of cash, not that he particularly needed it.

The next destination was a shock for Vyn.

The carriage went far, far away from the parties and games. It went off to neighborhoods that seemed much more second class. Eventually, they stopped at a fairly large building that looked kind of depressing. When Vyn got out, he read a sign near a gate.

Doctor Grunwell's Home for Lost Youths.

An orphanage or something? Owned by a doctor of some kind?

Vyn didn't ask for an explanation. He only stuck by the Duke as they literally marched on to the front door. The Duke personally pulled on a long cord that rang a bell. A young man answered, well actually he looked like he wasn't quite finished becoming a man. He also looked like he had hurriedly put on his coat; he was rubbing one of his eyes too.

Before the boy could say anything, the Duke put the box right in his hands. Then he grabbed the door by its handle and gently closed it right over the boy's surprised face.

"Do you know that boy?" Vyn asked as they walked down the steps.

The Duke shrugged. "Not as a friend, but I've learned enough of his personality, and that of his Master's."

"Why didn't you send money in a more official way, like a transfer from your bank?"

The Duke turned his face towards Vyn. His silvery eyes narrowed. His nostrils flared a little. His lips pursed.

Even when they were back in the carriage, the Duke still hadn't given an answer. Vyn was so curious that he pressed the matter. So, the Duke sighed and asked him, "Why? Why should I announce any donation I give to anyone? One shouldn't tell the world about their charity. It's unbecoming." His hands tightened over his cane's handle as he looked out a window. "I have an arrangement... a sort of understanding with those that receive my donations. They tighten their lips and I hand them money whenever I have the impulse."

Vyn blinked and tilted his head to one side. "So... you don't do that regularly?"

The Duke's retort was immediate. "I can't have them turning too dependent. They must care for themselves as much as possible."

Vyn folded his arms. "Well, who am I to tell you what to do with your money?" He smiled. "So was that trip to the orphanage an impulse?"

"Completely unplanned," the Duke confirmed. Then his voice hardened a little. "This shouldn't be part of your casual conversation. I demand discretion."

Vyn agreed.

***

12