All Comments on 'Old World Magic Ch. 10'

by rhev

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
rhevrhevabout 11 years agoAuthor
Delay

Not directly related to this chapter, but I just wanted to let my readers know some bad news. I had a critical hard drive error and had to reformat my PC this week. Now, my way of writing has always been to write at least a chapter or two ahead in both of my stories (old world magic and 90% true). But since my hard drive crashed, I realized that I've made an absolutely classically stupid mistake and not backed them up to more than one location. Because of this I've lost almost sixty pages of writing. Until I build up a little backlog of this writing again, I don't know if I'll be posting.

Sorry to any of my fans! :(

-Rhev

TLDR : This will be my last post for a few weeks.

FushiFushiabout 11 years ago
there are a number of programs that are pretty

there are a number of programs that are pretty good at recovering data like that.

rhevrhevabout 11 years agoAuthor
hmm

I'll look into that Fushi, recovering even after you've reformatted? I don't have a lot of spare money though so if it seems like the kind of thing that will take a lot of money or time, ill just re-write and take it as a learning lesson. Thanks though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
sorry about your data

rhev, you could try downloading the recovery software from a torrent site like piratebay and try recovering your story hope this helps ;)

drmrbludrmrbluabout 11 years ago
Only two types of computer users!

Which two types, you might ask. Those who have lost data and those who will lose data. There is no absolute way to guarantee that even your copies are safe. I have even had thumb drives go bad after only a single use -- brand new ones. It is sad to hear about the loss of so much work and planning. For some people recovery is an easy thing, for others it is nothing short of a nightmare. I just wanted to thank you for letting us share in your dreams and stories. It is also nice that you are still active as a writer and have an active imagination. Thanks again.

rhevrhevabout 11 years agoAuthor
sigh....

Just wanted to let everyone know I PURCHASED (I don't believe in software piracy) hard drive recovery program and was able to recover all three files, but they had been irreversibly corrupted. So... cest la vie. I'll just have to re-write I suppose. The thing that really bothers me is all the 'notes' I had on the old world magic. I had a growing list of notes about the characters, descriptions, etc that was over 7 pages alone. But I'll keep writing, don't worry and thank you all for the kind words!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
keep writing man

your stories on old world magic have been great! stick with fantasy man this where you shine!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Can't Waite (:

Good story can't Waite for the next chapters (:

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Software

@rhev:

Not believing in Software Piracy is great and a sentiment I share, but watching people throw their money at software for which great FOSS alternatives exist does sometimes hurt a bit..

joshmosejoshmoseabout 11 years ago
fixing old files ?!?

rhev,

If you still have the old corrupted files, you might try opening them in say notepad, wordpad, and just a plain old text editor to see if some of the text might be recoverable. There will likely be some control chars, but you might still be able to salvage the main text.

Great series also, so please keep it going.

rhevrhevabout 11 years agoAuthor
Thanks

Thanks for the advice and support everyone. I've tried everything I can think of but the data is gone / corrupted. I've started re-writing everything and Chapter 11 of old world magic should be posed soon, so stay tuned. After that I'm going to get a chapter up for 90% true, and then keep flip flopping back and forth to both. Like I said, the crash wasn't the end of things for me... just a speed bump.

Thank you for the kind comments and the lovely feedback I've gotten to my email.

WlljamWlljamabout 11 years ago

Love the content of the story so far! Unfortunately your understanding of the English language spoils it. eg Depending upon your accent; the words than and then sound very similar when spoken but have totally different meanings. Cheers

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomeabout 5 years ago

I fund all the prostitution off-putting. I know, he lives in a whorehouse, all the girls are whores. Would rather see him with someone else.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous