All Comments on 'Old World Magic Ch. 16'

by rhev

Sort by:
  • 13 Comments
aerathiaerathiover 10 years ago
power

Seems like he is getting stronger in his mind control powers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Really - something odd

In a casino run by a mage, owned by a mage and in a nation where mages are common - there isn't a mage who makes certain nobody uses simple mind magic to cheat at cards?

I'd work on plausible - even in magical worlds, logic isn't tossed into the bin.

The writing is average, nothing special, nothing horrible. The opening sequence was rubbish and badly written (the headache bit).

rhevrhevover 10 years agoAuthor
So anon....

So anon, if you don't understand it, it's not plausible?

At what point in the past 16 chapters did you read that the story takes place in "a nation where mages are common" ?

Because I've never said that. I'd return the favor by reviewing your stories... oh wait... anon.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Glad to see your making progress with the story, keep it up!

Regardless of what other anon, people say, I'm enjoying it.

rhevrhevover 10 years agoAuthor
Just a bit more

I re-read anon troll's comments and wanted to take them point by point, since it's obvious that he jumped in on chapter 16 with no clue as to the previous chapters or the roughly 111,000 words that proceeded this chapter. I felt it wouldn't be a bad idea to address his points:

"In a casino run by a mage,"

The tournament doesn't take place in a casino run by a mage. There is no indication that is the case.

" owned by a mage"

See above comment.

" and in a nation where mages are common"

Mages are not common, there is no indication that this is the case. In fact in this story every indicator says that mages, and other supernatural beings are very rare."

" - there isn't a mage who makes certain nobody uses simple mind magic to cheat at cards?"

No, there isn't. Further there isn't any such thing as 'simple mind magic' which you'd know if you'd read the previous chapters. The protagonist has found this out the hard way when he's abused his powers. His magical skills come with great cost when they are misused, and have almost killed him. The headache at the beginning of the story is in fact a lingering effect of his magical abuse.

"I'd work on plausible - even in magical worlds, logic isn't tossed into the bin."

I've worked VERY hard on keeping this story to the point where the magical abilities are run by rules of logic and follow their own internal consistencies. Unlike some stories where magic is used as a deus ex machina, in my story, it has it's own laws and rules. Which you'd realize if you'd read more than this single chapter. Each mage (save the extremely rare special 'archmage') is limited to one discipline of magic, and even inside that discipline, they are still governed by rules and limitations.

"The writing is average,"

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But the fact that the story is rated above a 3, which would be a more average rating than a 4.7, would suggest that most readers disagree with you.

" nothing special, nothing horrible. The opening sequence was rubbish and badly written (the headache bit)."

Again, all you do with this comment is show that you've not read the previous chapters as you don't understand the need or motivation behind the headache.

This comment wasn't specifically for that anon poster, but any other people who may be confused by some of the things that happen in this story.

-Rhev

valnor22valnor22over 10 years ago

Another great chapter and I'm looking forwards to the next one

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
other anons

Annoyed when other anons (who are most likely other writers) just jump into other people's stories and downvote them. Unsportsmanlike and lame.

cittrancittranover 10 years ago
*snerk*

Owned.

You want some aloe-vera for that, or should I just call the Burn Ward?

rhevrhevover 10 years agoAuthor
re: criticism

I personally NEVER mind constructive criticism. In a previous chapter, someone pointed out an internal inconsistency between chapters (mike's hair growth) that I defended, but then went back and re-examined. My mistake was due to a reformat that caused me to lose my notes for the story.

I don't mind constructive criticism, whenever I receive it if it's going to help me craft a better story. But when it's obvious that the critique is simply someone justifying their 1 star vote, and it's obvious they are only looking at that chapter, with no foreknowledge of the previous, it's annoying.

I understand that the episodic nature of the way things are 'published' on this site mean that sometimes you may go a month or more between reading various chapters of a story, but it would be a huge disservice to any reader to try to recap or re-explain the events of previous chapters each and every time I posted a new one.

Plus each chapter would quickly grow to insane proportions as I tried to explain who each character was, their motivations, descriptions, personality quirks, etc. each and every time I used one of them in the story.

I assume (incorrectly I suppose) that any one reading my story would understand from the title, specifically the fact that it says "Ch. 16", that this is only a part of a much larger story.

It would make no sense to pick up ANY book at your local library, thumb into chapter 16, start reading blind, and then judge the book on that chapter alone. Yet people do it here on lit.

*eyeroll*

cittrancittranover 10 years ago
no joke

Some of the stories I read on here are updated so infrequently that I need to reread the previous chapter (or two) before I read the new one.

But I actually READ them, I don't skim.

And skipping just makes you part of the resident moron griper club.

i4sale4i4sale4over 10 years ago
Amazing

I have read all of your story in just the past few days, and i must say I find it amazing. I am going to have to do something that I do not do very often and add this story to my Favorites list.

cittrancittranover 10 years ago
On adding stories to your favorites...

I wish there were a way to add the series themselves, instead of just individual chapters -- my favorites list would probably double in size because of the convenience of having an 'index' of my favorite stories.

bhojobhojoover 1 year ago

superb storytelling. the nuttin went a nuttin

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous