All Comments on 'Omnia Vincit Amor Pt. 03'

by Alwaysraining

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierceover 5 years ago
A feeling of foreboding

Surely Claire understands that if something sounds too good to be true, it most likely is. I hope Peter is content simply to be an enraged brute and not a murderer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

A very good chapter where you explored the rigidity of the Catholic teachings and how many people have either left the Church, or have formed their own conformity with the religion. The next chapter should be interesting and I have no idea how you will deal with the inherent conflict between true love and the religious contract of love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Not buying one bit of it.

Claire is nothing but a lying insincere bitch.

""Dear Peter,

I've been trying to save our marriage. I've tried to be constructive. I've written to you and I would have thought that the least you could have done was to answer my letter, or communicate in some other way: a phone call, a text. But nothing. You have ignored me.

So reluctantly I have to accept defeat. I can't go on like this in limbo.

I keep getting reports from our children that you are depressed and that your depression is getting deeper. It is all so unnecessary, Peter. Stop punishing yourself and take steps to save us.

As I say, I can't carry on indefinitely waiting for some sort of response. So I'm asking, no begging you to respond to this letter, and the one I sent you earlier. Talk to me.""

- Having abondoned someone that SHE concluded was suffering a mental illness, she expects him to fix it. How? By magic? Anyone with half a clue about mental illness would know even that getting someone in deep depression to open up, much less seek help is by far the hardest thing for them to do.

""If your Dad would just get help, some sort of therapy, I'd go back in a heartbeat. That's all I'm asking of him. I love your Dad very much, girls. I don't want any of this."

-That's just another lie. She wants an opportunity to rekindle the relationship with her ex lover. Some love that is too, running off and abandoning him and leaving a DEPRESSED man without a source of hope or encouragement.

""John? He's been a rock for me. Never once has he urged me to break up with your father, Never once.""

- So? He doesn't need to. She already to jump into his bed. All he needs to do is wait and give her the support that should come from her husband. He's already repalced emotionally.

"At the same time, she knew that Peter was her husband and she would not be unfaithful to him....

....The divorce was not in order to free her to go to John, no matter how much she might want to, it was to make the separation permanent, or until Peter changed his tune and repaired the damage he had done. "

- Yet another lie. She wanted to "get on with her life," and naturally be free to get it on with John who she already admits lusting for.

"Wrong!" she cut in. "Get it into your head that it is possible for people to live in the same house as friends."

- Yeah, like platonic friends sleep together all the time, right?

"But I think you were lovers before," Peter replied, though without any triumphalism.

"It was over thirty years ago!" shouted Claire in exasperation. "I was 'with him' under two years. We were young students. I've been with you for thirty!"

"I don't think you ever got over him."

- Again objectively true from her PoV.

"There you go again! I don't really see the point of trying to argue with you, you won't believe anything that doesn't agree with your preconceived ideas, but nevertheless I'll try.

-So she persists with even more lies.

There is absolutely NOTHING that engenders any sympathy for me with this dumb, self righteous, delusional bitch. What sympathy was earned was immediately lost by the constant lies.

Alwaysraining has tried to pitch Peter as the villain and fair enough, he's not a very nice character but his flaws are a result of unconscious insecurities whereas Claire's as wantonly and willingly began to build a relatiionship with an ex lover, abandoning her mentally ill husband and family to do it all the while lying to them about that relationship and the emotional affair she is embarked on and the cheating that it represents. I would suggest that a better villain would be one who knowingly embarks on cruel, selfish or vindictive behavior and not one who is mentally ill, but then that description fits Claire much better than Peter.

Unlike the last offering, this one seems very poorly conceived.

HighpikeHighpikeover 5 years ago
Awesome

That was a beautiful tale. I would love there to be more as I was gripped by it. I empathised with so much. I know Grange well and can picture the sort of house - probably in the Cartmel direction. I also suffered the sudden loss of my first wife twenty years ago. You will have no difficulty ignoring 'Anonymous' . I will now begin reading more of your work and I am looking forward to it. Thank you G.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 5 years ago
Nice story so far

Just a shame that... better not say it.

Horseman68Horseman68about 5 years ago
Exceptional.

Looking forward to reading the concluding chapter in this exceptional story.

bobareenobobareenoalmost 3 years ago
Musings on the good and bad of this tale.

Claire cannot seem to stick to her guns. I understand it maintains the tension of the story, "will she and Peter get together or will she get with John?" Nevertheless, there comes a time when the reader wants to kick her ass. How many time did she conclude she could never return to Peter? I'd guess 5. Then she relents. Writing her as that... self abnegating makes it hard to sympathize with her. And John is written as a tad insufferable as well.

Both let superstition rule their lives, and of course Peter and his son are the ultimate expressions of life lived through the prism of mean spirited superstition. But one side, John and Claire, obviously, has a markedly nicer superstitious set of beliefs than the other. Both sets of superstitious beliefs obfuscate reality for the believers. "St." John should've had some sense knocked into him by Peter and Thomas, John's altruism is not noble despite the writer's intent it appear so, it deprives him of anything other than self satisfied martyrdom, looking on passively except for his refusal to allow men needing punishment to be punished. That, too, was a form of passivity.

I anticipate that John will fail the next (and please let it be) "final" test, because Claire deserves a good bang, as does John, and this is the carrot the readers continue reading for. But I am at the point where if Peter comes through and passes the test, it'll serve her, and John, right, to relegate the two of them to lives less than fully lived.

That said, the author's writing is wonderful, I loved seeing the word "perforce" and other words that were uncommon but used appropriately. I'll hope we see much more from this writer, he can really write.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlwaysraining@Alwaysraining
902 Followers
I live the the North West of England, where we get more than our share of rain, hence my pen-name. Before I retired, more years ago than I care to think about, I had a job which exercised my mind to the full. I never had time to write anything but text books and manuals. Si...

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES