One Whore's Town Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A couple of men had passed in and out of the house as they talked. Raven nodded toward the most recent man exiting and said, "Looks like you and the girls are getting along well."

"It's steady, and we're not jumping at shadows all the time. One day at a time."

Raven rolled her eyes. "You may as well get used to the fact that you're established here, and you're not going anywhere. Alice knows it. You'll see when you read her letter. Better find some good bully boys, because she wants Hoss and Mack back too."

"Ghent has a few men he's looking at."

"Admit it. You're staying."

Betty sighed. "Fine. I'm leaning that way."

"Lean hard, and find those bully boys. You've got Alice's nose twitching with some of your ideas. I'm going to go have a bath."

"All yours," Betty said.

While Raven bathed, Betty took her place on the couch, updated her accounts, and then opened the letter. Raven had the right of it. Alice was strongly hinting that she shit or get off the pot, and do it quick. She was all over the idea of retaining Ulis and his boys, and had already sent letters out to get the rest of the madames to share the cost. She wanted patterns from Keri, and she most certainly wanted Hoss and Mack back.

The letter ended with a few personal notes, revealing that Cammie was learning the books and taking a larger role in running the brothel. Hannah had been elevated to full-fledged partner, and she was advising Yasmine on her venture to expand with an eatery.

Desiree had also made a stop, which proved to be a lucrative evening for the Kip and its girls. The apparently insatiable blonde was on her way to the Cat in Lakenshire next.

The remainder of the space in the satchel was filled with packets of seeds to get a garden going, and one of the miraculous little potions that had saved Janus' life.

Betty had been contemplating her reply for a while when Ghent walked in and said, "Some overdressed fella in a carriage here. Wants to see you."

"About what?"

"Wouldn't say."

Betty shrugged and said, "Well, let's go see what he wants." Having just read about Desiree, she added, "Hopefully he's here to pay ridiculous amounts of coin for someone to fuck his wife."

"Heh... That would be nice."

Betty stepped outside and saw a carriage parked at the far end of the yard. Four mounted guardsmen surrounded it, once again summoning up the memory of Desiree and her husband. A bald, well-dressed man stood watching the house with his hands folded behind his back. He had the look of a servant rather than a wealthy man in his own right.

When they reached him, Betty started to introduce herself, but he spoke first.

"You are Betty?" he asked.

"I am. What can I do for you?"

"I am charged with certain matters we must discuss in private." His eyes darted toward Ghent for a moment.

Betty wasn't especially fond of the cold way he was speaking to her, so she said, "Anything you can say to me, you can say to my man. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time and mine."

The bald man's brow furrowed for a moment, but then his expression softened and he said, "I am told you are responsible for the burial of the woman Josephine?"

"You heard right. She's up the road a piece."

The man nodded. "Then on behalf of my employer, I wish to thank you."

"Who will remain nameless?" Betty asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," he answered, and his tone left little doubt that he wasn't fond of the situation. "I am Franklin. A common enough name that it should cause my employer no distress to reveal it. After what rumor says she has done, I find it astounding that you would see to her burial."

"Don't get it wrong," Betty said. "I just made sure she had a proper grave. That's it."

"Quite understandable. She was a troubled young woman. Please accept my apologies for the distress that has befallen you at her hand."

Betty noticed that he said my rather than my employer, but decided to let it lie.

"Might you direct me to her grave?" Franklin asked with just the slightest crack in his voice. "I am to see that she is buried next to her mother."

Though he was trying to hide it, Betty could see the sadness in his eyes. "I'll probably have to show you. It's a ways off the road, and they replaced the sod after they buried her."

"If you and your man would be so kind as to direct my driver?"

"Ghent, let Hoss know what's up and have him keep ticks for the books until we get back."

"Yes'm," Ghent said, and then headed back to the house.

Franklin said, "If this is an inconvenient time..?"

"Things can get along without us for a little while."

Franklin nodded. Ghent returned a few moments later, they all climbed in the carriage, and Betty provided directions. Soon enough, they stopped in the field near the graves.

Betty pointed and said, "She's the one on the right."

"The other? Someone important to her?" Franklin asked.

"Not in the way you're thinking, no. He was just her guard. Probably didn't mean any more to her than your men there," Betty said — nodding toward the mounted men who remained near the carriage.

Franklin turned, faced the grave, hung his head, and sighed. He then quietly said, "Please know that she was once a sweet, bright, beautiful girl. The trauma of her mother's passing, a man more concerned for his reputation than the child he fathered, and the failure of the man charged with her well-being are to blame for her troubled soul."

There was so much anguish in the man's strained voice that Betty couldn't help but empathize. "Take her home to rest next to her mother. That should bring her soul some peace."

"I pray that it does," he said. He then wiped his eyes, straightened, and adjusted his coat before turning around. "There is one last matter with which I am charged. I am to see to the disposal of the house Josephine had appropriated, to sever any remaining links between her and my employer. Would you be interested in its ownership?"

Betty let out a snort. "I've been inside. I couldn't afford one room — never mind the whole place."

"You misunderstand. The house will be yours. I will see that ownership is quietly transferred to you, in exchange for silence as to the nature of the acquisition to the general public. I find it fitting as some small measure of recompense for what you have endured."

Her stunned disbelief evident in her voice, Betty responded, "You're just going to give me the place? And all I have to do is not yap about how I got it?"

"Exactly. The proper high-ranking officials have already been well compensated. I assure you it will be perfectly legal and binding. The papers will take approximately one week to arrive, should you be in agreement."

Betty looked at Ghent. He shrugged, and then nodded.

Betty shrugged as well and said, "Well, I guess you've got a deal, then."

"Excellent. Then allow me to return you to your place of business, that I may return and discharge my final duty."

Betty and Ghent turned back toward the carriage, but Betty paused and said, "Do yourself a favor. Don't unwrap the shroud, or at least don't be around when someone else does it. Remember her how she was."

"I will be guided by you in this."

Betty prayed — for the sake of his sanity — that he heeded that warning. The nightmare of Josephine's twisted visage haunted her more than the man she'd put a bolt through.

****

With a couple of hours remaining until sunset that evening, the girls were still steadily humping away. Keri was busy with supper and finally seemed completely at ease in the house.

Ginny walked into the front room — shaking her head — and took a seat next to Betty. She looked perplexed, and Betty could hardly blame her. The man had wanted to watch while someone else humped Ginny. He had waited patiently until Betty found one of Corra's soldiers willing to fuck the redhead with someone else in the room. The strange customer had then whispered some additional instructions to Ginny before he walked to her room ahead of her and the soldier.

"So, how did that go?" Betty asked.

"It takes all kinds, I guess," Ginny answered quietly enough that the words wouldn't carry to her sister in the kitchen. "He didn't even touch himself. Once the General's man left, he wanted me to tell him how pathetic he was, make him lick the cum out of me, and then kick him out. Didn't even want me to fake liking it, which was a good thing because it made my skin crawl. Left an extra copper and did a good enough job that I don't need to hit the outhouse, so..." She shrugged.

"Just wait until you get one that wants you to play at being his sister or mother," Betty said, and chuckled.

Ginny scrunched up her nose and asked, "Really?"

Betty nodded. "I've had two of them. Some men get stiff for the strangest shit."

"It's their coin, I guess," Ginny said, and then stood as the door opened to admit another customer. She toyed with a strand of hair and said, "Well, hello there. Looking for some fun?"

He was, and she took him to her room as Ghent stepped inside.

"General's here," the big man said.

Betty stood up and walked to the door, where she saw the General dismounting. She said, "You didn't have to come out here. I told your man I could come see you when you had some time."

Corra pointed a thumb at his horse. "This one tends to bite when he isn't ridden daily. You wished to speak?"

Betty pointed toward the workshop and asked, "Do you mind?"

"Of course not. Please," the General answered and then gestured for her to lead.

"Hey, Hoss," Ghent called.

"Ticks for the books," Hoss responded.

At the workshop door, Corra stepped ahead and put his hand on the doorknob. He then asked Ghent, "If I may?" When the big man shrugged, Corra opened the door and said, "After you, madame."

Once inside, they all pulled up stools to a workbench. Betty said, "You got word about the man who's going to dig her up and move her, right?"

"My men had marked his carriage. They believe him to be a servant for a wealthy man. By my estimation, they were near to removing her body as I passed. Is there a problem?"

"Not with that, anyway. Thing is, he says that he's supposed to get rid of the house, and he's just going to give it to me, as long as I don't spread around how I got it. It smells like something that could get me bent over a barrel."

The General asked, "Did he say anything about papers?"

She nodded. "Said it would take about a week for them to get here, and all the right people had been bribed."

"A week by horse would mean the capital, which is where such payments would need to be made. A wealthy man attempting to obscure his connection to a house of prostitution... I can see it."

"So, you think this might be on the up and up?" Betty asked.

"I believe it is possible. One of my cousins is now posted within the town, charged with the overseeing of local taxation. He is well connected, and will know if the proper signatures and seals have been affixed. When the papers arrive, take them to him. If he says they are good, they are good."

"Guess that's what we'll do. I trust you. You know how things work a lot better than I do," Betty said.

"My cousin knows such things far better than I. Give me the chaos of a battlefield over Draxnian politics any day." Corra shuddered. "I will send word to expect you."

Betty said, "May as well tell him that while we're there, I'll be making things official. Ask if I need to bring any coin and my books along then, or if he'll be sending a tax man around to collect it."

Corra broke out into a wide smile. "So, you will be staying?"

"With her, Roja, and everybody who was wrapped around her finger gone... I'm set up better here than I would have ever imagined when I left home, so yeah, we're setting up shop for good."

"Such news will greatly improve the morale of my men. But..." He paused, held out his hands, and mimed looking around. "I see nothing here that would require additional taxation."

Betty chuckled. "I appreciate it, but you're a military man. You know you could be called off to gods know where at any time. Someone wants to be an asshole after you're gone, and I'd be left holding the bag on back taxes."

"True. However, so long as I remain here, I have all the necessary authority to submit a writ reducing your tax burden for services rendered to the military."

"I don't know that our services are exactly what that's for," Betty said, and then laughed.

The General laughed as well. "You might be surprised, but no. The intelligence you have provided has been invaluable, and is already on record. None will dispute the writ. Allow me to do this for you."

"Like I said, you know how things work better than I do. Thank you, General."

"It is my pleasure. And please — Corra."

"Thank you, Corra."

The General slapped the bench and said, "So, if you are to stay, perhaps my wife will have the opportunity to meet you, as she wishes."

Betty's eyebrows shot up and she asked, "Your wife wants to meet a whore?"

"No. Though she knows of your profession, she wishes to meet the fascinating woman of whom I have written. Fear not to offend her, for she is of common birth. Though she glides through a gala with grace that takes my breath away, she can curse with a venom that would make my men go pale."

Betty found her cheeks aching from the smile on her face as she listened to him describe his wife with such adoration. "Hope I get the chance to meet her. I think we'd get along just fine."

"I know you will." Corra pushed back his stool and stood. "I think I will go see my cousin in person, and then write to my wife."

Betty and Ghent stood as well, and then saw Corra to his horse. As he rode off, Ghent reached out and caressed her cheek.

"I know. I'm grinning like an idiot," Betty said.

Ghent shook his head.

"Just nice to see a man who's married and happy about it. Usually, all I see is the opposite. You're awfully quiet. Something wrong?"

"Not a thing," he answered.

"Sure?" He nodded at about the same time as Nora emerged from the house. Betty patted his hand on her cheek. "Find one of the boys to walk her home?"

"Yes'm."

Nora was wearing her new dress, and Betty was impressed with the way it accentuated the older woman's already impressive bosom. "Keri said she did something different with that one. She outdid herself."

"The girls haven't sat this high in twenty years," Nora said, giving her breasts a squeeze. "And I can walk without them throwing me every which way." She winced and squeezed her thighs together. "I think I need to take a day, though."

"Go ahead. As much time as you need," Betty said. "You should have enough coin and then some, if you want to call it quits."

"Just need a day to rest this old pussy. I'm sure I'll get over it soon enough, but I haven't come in so long..."

Betty chuckled. "Happy to have you for as long as you want to keep your legs in the air. It's official now. We're staying. So, if you ever need a little extra coin, we'll be right here. Some things pan out, I might have other ways for you to earn it without getting poked, and we can always use extra hands with the washing no matter what."

"Nice to have a choice for once," Nora said.

Betty chuckled when Callis' eyes went wide at the sight of Nora's breasts on such magnificent display. "She's taking a day off, and we need you back for night watch," she reminded him.

"Damn shame," Callis said.

"I could always come in a little early day after tomorrow," Nora said seductively as she fell into step at his side.

Betty glanced at Ghent as he settled in at her side once more. "You sure you're okay? You seem nervous."

"Just been a busy day," he answered.

"Can't argue with that. Let's head back in."

Betty caught up on her accounting from the notes Hoss provided, and then glanced toward the kitchen. She saw Keri pause at the edge of the window and stare wistfully outside for a second. The redhead then sighed and went back to the stove.

A pat on Ghent's knee and a barely perceptible nod toward the kitchen told him everything he needed to know. Betty stood and walked into the kitchen. As expected, she caught a glimpse of Janus working outside.

"Give him some time," Betty said quietly.

"Hmm?"

Betty said, "He's never had a woman pay him any attention before. It will take him a little while to get the hint."

Keri blushed furiously and cast her eyes downward. She whispered, "Is it that obvious?"

"A little, but it's nothing to be embarrassed about. He's handsome, has a trade..."

Keri asked, "Am I a bad person? I barely looked at him before... Well..."

"He wouldn't have realized if you had, and he wouldn't have believed it even if he did. Surely you noticed how he hardly ever looked anyone in the eye. You were always nice to him, and that's more than he expected from anyone."

"I don't know what to do," Keri said.

"Like I said, just give him a little time. You might have to be a bit more obvious. Not too much, but maybe look just a little longer. Let him see you and start to wonder. Don't fight your voice going up when you talk to him quite so much. If he still doesn't get the hint, I'll give him a little nudge. Remember, this is all new to him. You'll have to guide him along and overlook when he's awkward."

"Do you think he likes me too?"

"I think that as soon as he realizes you've got your eye on him, he's not going to be able to think about anything else," Betty said, and winked. She glanced out the window and saw Janus wipe his brow.

Betty held up a finger, grabbed a pitcher and cup, and poured some water. She then handed it to Keri. "Go on," she said, gesturing toward the door.

The younger woman took a moment to gather her nerve, took a deep breath, and then stepped outside. Betty watched from the edge of the window and broke out into a wide smile when she saw Janus blush. It was time to switch from teaching him how to please a woman and give him some pointers on how to woo one.

Not that he would need much help in that, considering how smitten Keri obviously was. It was several minutes before Keri returned to the kitchen, and she had an unmistakable glow about her when she did.

****

Randy men came in the door and satisfied ones left until the sun sank below the horizon. Word had more or less gotten around, and they didn't have to turn anyone away when Betty decided to close up shop for the day.

Once everyone was fed and bathed, Betty let them know that they were staying. The atmosphere was cheery as they enjoyed the libations that were the fruit of Janus' and Hoss' labors. There was no need to worry about staying up late, because Betty had decided everyone should follow Nora's example and take a day. The girls could finally go into town and spend the fruits of their labor.

None of them seemed at all upset about going back to regular pay. They'd been steadily making half for so long that each had a nice little poke built up already.

Jan and Lana would let the new girls know that if they so happened to lie down for a man on their own time, it was none of Betty's business. That unspoken rule — while seemingly counterproductive — had always served to draw more men into the Kip. It also gave the girls a sense of autonomy that brightened their disposition, which served the same purpose.

When the front door opened, Betty glanced that way and saw Hoss. He'd been over sharing his brew with Pallah, Ulis, and his boys.

"Somebody here to see you, Miss Betty," Hoss said.

Betty sighed and said, "Hells, it never ends today."

Just then Hoss stepped aside, and a man ducked under the threshold. Betty saw Ginny shrink back and heard a gasp from behind her. The visitor was closer to seven feet than six, had an odd coloration, and pointed ears sticking out from his long, coal-black hair. When he spoke, his voice had a quality that sounded like an ominous whisper emerging at normal volume.