Only Time Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In the Main Conference Room were FBI Assistant Director Owen Lange, FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone, Dr. Laura Fredricson, and three men I did not know. One of them was dressed in the uniform of the Colombian National Police, with the rank of Coronel, a.k.a. Colonel.

"Chief, Commander," said Jack Muscone, making introductions. "this is Tommy Dugan and Kurt Powell with the U.S. Marshals."

"And this is Colonel Rafael Antonio Caro of the Columbian National Police." said AD Owen Lange. "I've worked with him on several occasions over the years."

The Chief and I shook hands with the three men, then the Chief took his chair at the near end of the table. Laura was to his left, and I went around and sat to her left. She just gave me an 'I don't know' raising of her eyebrows in response to my inquiring look at her.

"We have some very disturbing news." said AD Owen Lange. "Colonel, if you will explain."

"Thank you, Director Lange." said Colonel Caro, speaking English perfectly though with a slight accent. "Commander Troy, Dr. Fredricson, it is an honor to meet you both. Unfortunately, I bring bad news from Colombia. I am sure you recall the operation that recovered many kidnapped girls and returned them to the United States." Laura and I nodded. (Author's note: 'The Yellow Rose of Texas', Ch. 03.)

"You may recall, Commander Troy," said Colonel Caro, "that some photographs of you with our masked operatives were taken. One of those men had been promoted to a leadership position, and was no longer part of covert missions. Unfortunately, members of the Cartel broke into his home, and forced him to open his cellphone and computer by putting a knife to his six-year-old son's throat."

"Oh my God." Laura whispered aloud. "And some of those photos were on the phone."

"Yes, Doctor." said Colonel Caro. "The Cartel has placed a bounty on both your heads, though how they found out about you, Dr. Fredricson, I am not sure."

"I'll bet they extracted the name from your agent whose home they broke into." I said. "What else happened there? To that family?"

"You may well be right, Commander." said Caro. "And what happened... after the phone and computer were opened, the Cartel's thugs repeatedly raped his wife in front of him and their son. When they were finished with her, they slit the boy's throat in front of her, then slit her throat. We know this because they videotaped it and sent it to us." I nodded, feeling as grim as Laura and Muscone looked.

"And then they shut off the cameras." said the Colonel. "We estimate they spent two hours torturing our colleague afterwards. There was little of him left to bury."

"The bottom line," said U.S. Marshal Kurt Powell, "is that you and your family are in grave danger right now. We are ready to take you into Witness Protection, move you away, and give you complete new identities----"

"No way in hell!" Laura exclaimed.

"Dr. Fredricson," said Kurt Powell, "they've put a bounty of at least one million dollars on you and your family's heads. "The Cartel controls many gangs in this country, and this State. NS-14 gangs will be looking to earn that bounty by killing you and your family."

"We can't run away!" said Laura. "And no matter where we go or what we do, we'll be in the same danger. You think I don't know that the Cartels have moles inside our Government?"

"We've protected thousands of people in Witness Protection." said U.S. Marshal Tommy Dugan. I studiously avoided looking at Jack Muscone, whose eyes were rolling: Federal Marshals had utterly failed to protect his wife from being murdered by Red Brooke. (Author's note: 'Agents and Angels', Ch. 02-03.) Dugan continued: "We're already preparing to move you, and your two children to a new location, with new names and new jobs---"

"Let me put it in more practical terms." I said. "First, what about my other children? And their mothers? And my extended family, and my wife's extended family? Are you going to move all them, too? And then there's my cousin, who is a TCPD Officer, and my nephew's wife, also a TCPD Officer. Gonna move them, too? Oh, and for that matter, I'm sure Colonel Caro will understand when I say that a Police Force is a strong family. My Police Force here would be subject to attacks." Colonel Caro nodded vigorously in agreement.

"So no, Mr. Powell," I said, "I will not be going anywhere. I would rather die than face the shame and dishonor of running away and hiding like a coward." It is possible that a red crowbar had begun tapping in my hand.

"And I will be here right by my husband, protecting our children with a fury that no Cartel ever wants to see." Laura said darkly.

U.S. Marshal Powell said "Okay, then. But there's little we can do to help you here. The Cartel is dangerous, they're powerful, and they know who and where you are."

"I'll take care of it." I said flatly. Then I straightened up and looked over at Colonel Caro. "Colonel, I greatly appreciate you coming all this way to tell us this. It also sounds like you and your National Police need to get some revenge for the killing of one of your own and his family, is that not so?"

"Yes, we will avenge their suffering and deaths." said Colonel Caro.

"Would you object to having a little help with that?" I asked.

"I like the way you think, Commander Troy." said Owen Lange, who was rapidly figuring it out.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was getting ready to leave at 6:00pm when there was a knock on my door. It was Lt. Jerome Davis, and I had him come in and sit down.

"Sir, I called the SBI and the City PD to see if they contacted Ruby Russell." Jerome said. "She's handling her father's funeral arrangements. His funeral will be in Rocktown this Saturday. She told the SBI and CPD that she wouldn't talk to them until after the funeral."

"Okay." I said. "Who in the CPD did you talk to?"

"E.J. Jefferson." said Jerome. "And Agent Terence Johnson of the SBI."

"Good." I said. "You're getting to know both of them pretty well."

"Yes sir." said Jerome. "E.J. used to work here, so we have something in common to talk about... mostly about that Police Commander that used to work him like a dog, and still works me that way." I began laughing at that.

"Any chance of E.J. coming back to the TCPD?" I asked casually... a bit too casually.

"No sir." said Jerome. "Nothing against us, but he loves it in the City."

"And by staying there, you and he can 'network' on things." I said, giving Jerome a knowing look. Jerome hemmed and hawed for a second, then I said "Look, it's fine. I'm glad to see you making connections and cultivating sources like that. And I understand that you'll have to share information to get information."

"Uh, yes sir." said Jerome.

"That's fine." I said. "And I trust you to know what information you can and can't share. Any questions, come ask me. And a network of contacts like that is how work gets done and criminals get put away. And you'll need that if you're going to sit in this chair one day."

"Sir?" gasped Jerome. In case you haven't figured it out, this was a 'teachable moment'.

"One day, maybe years in the future, but it will happen, I said, "Chief Moynahan will retire as Police Chief, and I will pretty much be forced to take it. People will then move upwards or onwards. I anticipate Commander Croyle will move into this office. Commander Ross will possibly become the Sheriff's Chief of Staff when Deputy Oswald retires... or passes away, as he seems to want to stay there forever... and that will leave a couple of gaps in my pyramid of leadership. And if Captain Perlman becomes Deputy Chief, there's still a couple of spots open. And it's likely that you will fill one of them. No guarantees, of course. Moral of the story is: you're doing a great job, both on and off the books. Keep it up."

"Thank you, sir." Jerome said.

"Okay, go home." I said. "All this will keep..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm not sure what's best about family dinner at home... that it's dinner, or that it's at home. I do know the 'family' part is very good.

Tonight's dinner was fried steak and mashed potatoes and gravy, a favorite of Your Iron Crowbar. Carole tolerated the green beans, as they weren't stringbeans.

"Guess what, Daddy?" Carole said. "We were talking at school about cats purring. Our teacher said cats purr when they're happy, but they may also purr to stop pain and heal themselves if they're hurt. And they may get around another hurt cat and purr to try to help make it feel better."

"That's very interesting." I said.

Carole continued talking about school, and I noticed that she was seemingly taking special delight in it... and then I realized that Jim didn't like hearing about it, as he had not been able to start school this year, and the special kindergarten class wasn't really cutting it as 'competition'. So I had Jim tell me about the football game he and his brother and friends played, and he seemed a lot happier... when he saw that Carole was bored out of her gourd about it.

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

That was my personal iPhone. I was going to hit the button to send it to voicemail, but it was Mike G. Todd. "Hi Mike." I said as I answered it. I waved at everyone and went to the backdoor and outside.

"Hi Don." said Mike. "Listen... I filed the appeal. One of Leahy's clerks called me and said that he was going to refuse to hear the appeal, which is essentially denying it. The next level is the State Supreme Court. They're not going to convene again until January."

"Can we get an immediate stay?" I asked.

"I filed for one." said Mike. "But here's the reality, Don. Leahy won't stay the BOI from going ahead, and the State Supreme Court is not likely to grant a stay, either. The bottom line is that you're wasting your time. Silas has scheduled the BOI to be resumed Wednesday morning, and we might as well just go through with it and get it overwith..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay," said Laura at 9:00pm as she came out of the 'Puter Room at the Mountain Nest, "I've got some stuff for you."

"Okay." I said. "And guess what, kids? It's nine o'clock, and that means bedtime."

"Aw, Dad," said Jim, "I'm watching the football game." Indeed, Jim was watching the Monday Night Football game.

"Who's playing?" I asked, testing to see if he really was watching.

"Pittsburgh and New Orleans." said Jim. "They've sacked Drew Brees three times already!"

"Okay, you are paying attention." I said. "You have until halftime. Both of you." I'd noted it was the two-minute warning, so I could concede that.

"Daddy's poll numbers just went up, Bowser!" Carole said as she worked on a drawing. I chuckled.

"I'll take the dogs out." I said. "Be ready to go up to bed by the time I get back." Bowser and Buddy were already at the back door.

"Can I go with you, Daddy?" Carole asked excitedly.

"Uh, not this time, Fussbudget." I said, giving Laura a glance and seeing her look back at me. The threats were real and existential, we both realized. It ain't paranoia...

The dogs found nothing of interest to examine, and we were back inside fairly quickly. I heard a commotion upstairs as Carole and Jim argued over lavatory dibs, followed by 'remedial instruction' from their mother. Some moments later I went up and helped Laura tuck them in, and gave Bowser some skritchins so he'd settle down in his basket.

Going back downstairs, I saw Buddy lying on the floor in front of the fireplace. "Why aren't you upstairs, Buddy?" I asked. Buddy misinterpreted that as an offer to give him skritchins, and he came over and hopped up onto the sofa between me and Laura... and got skritchins. I had to keep my poll numbers up with household Cocker Spaniels, dontcha know.

"Okay," Laura said, "Colonel Caro is legit. He's been with the National Police for years, and may have been part of their elite paramilitary teams."

"He was." I said. "I recognized him as one of our masked helpers when we went and rescued those girls. I didn't say anything in front of the Marshals, of course."

"Smart man." Laura said. "Federal Marshal Kurt Powell appears to be legit. Jack Muscone said he'd met Powell before, and his record seems to hold up to scrutiny."

"Then again," I said, "two alleged Marshals on Senator Russell's protection detail had outstanding backstops going back to grade school, but Jack said they're beginning to realize they weren't real Marshals."

"True." said Laura. "Whoever is making those backstops is just too good for his own good, and he needs to be stopped. Cold. Anyway, Tommy Dugan was a bit more sketchy. Brand new to the Federal Marshals in this State. His record says he's been on protection details across the country, which makes tracking him very painstaking, at best."

"So what do you think of this Cartel threat?" I asked.

"It could be very serious." Laura said. "When Colonel Caro was talking about it, I was remembering that ambush of your SUV." (Author's note: 'Casting Aspersions', Ch. 03-04) "What if that wasn't local thugs like you were surmising, but was the Cartel?"

"Could well be." I said, then thought about it and said "No... too many inconsistencies. The Cartel could have and would have afforded better weapons than those bozos had."

Laura nodded. "Well, I've put Callie, Paulina, Molly, and Melina on high alert to watch out for their families."

"We've got upgraded security at Eastside Elementary," I said, "and BOW Enterprises is on alert, as well. And Teresa has put the Uniformed Force on higher alert, telling them that a drug cartel may have been making threats to kill Police Officers."

"And I'll let the Hospital know and President Wellman know, just in case." Laura said. "But I think it's you and the Police that need to keep your heads on swivels."

"So." I said. "You're a little bit distracted. Whassup?"

Laura replied "Do you remember Otis, the little boy that died of cancer? And his mother Beatrice, who was working for KXTC but quit when they became so partisan?"

"Yes." I said. (Author's note: 'Summer in the County', Ch. 03; 'Moonlight Shadow, Ch. 02.)

Laura said "Beatrice has a sister, Rhonda Hooper. Rhonda and her husband Jim Hooper had a boy about four years ago, and the pregnancy and delivery were difficult; she had a lot of bleeding. Rhonda became pregnant again, a girl this time. It's been a very difficult pregnancy, but she's just about there. I'm probably going to do a C-section, and if she has a lot of bleeding I may have to do some surgery... like remove her uterus. This could happen at any time, so I might get a call at any hour."

"Okay." I said. "Just let me know, and I'll handle arrangements for the kids."

Laura nodded, then lowered her voice and said "Do you think Carole is safe enough in that school? Especially if there's a Cartel hit out on us?"

"I'd like to think they wouldn't hit a school just to get one kid." I said.

"Also," said Laura, "you seemed pretty confident about something today in that meeting, and I fully understand you not wanting to talk in front of those U.S. Marshals. I could tell Jack Muscone hates them."

"Yeah," I said, "Jack still blames the U.S. Marshals's ineptitude for Red Brooke killing his wife. And after somehow letting Senator Russell exit a 30th-floor window to the ground, I don't have much faith in them, either. As to the Cartel threat... I asked Alison McFarland to contact her father, General McFarland, and I also sent a message to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Let's just say they have the resources to send the Cartel a... 'statement'... if the Cartel really wants to play. They'll do a threat assessment, and we'll go from there."

"Say no more." Laura said. It is possible that she also had experience in operations around the world that you will never hear about on your local news...

Part 5 - Dirty Politics

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, October 15th, from the KXTC anchor desk. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the death of U.S. Senator Samuel Russell!"

Bettina went over the details, couching it strongly in terms of it being a suicide, then said "The FBI, SBI, and City Police are investigating the case, and while the FBI says they are sharing information with the SBI and CPD, those entities are saying just the opposite: that the FBI is refusing to share information, and is attempting to cut out the SBI and City Police."

Bettina: "Deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared has threatened to file a lawsuit against the FBI over the jurisdictional issues, but State Attorney General Karl Handel says that his office is the sole legal authority to file such a lawsuit on behalf of the State, and he welcomes the help of the FBI on the case. AG Handel also said that if Governor Jared attempts to file a lawsuit on behalf of the State, it would be ground for the impeachment and removal of the Governor."

Bettina: "One thing that simply cannot be avoided is that Governor Jared has the sole power to appoint a U.S. Senator to serve the remainder of Senator Russell's term. Jared has not made any statements regarding who he might choose, but his spokesperson, Sarah Honeysuckle, released a statement that the Governor is considering several persons and will make a decision soon."

Bettina: "In a statement to the Press, State Senator Katherine Woodburn has suggested that Governor Jared appoint himself to the position, which would require his resignation from the Governor's Mansion. Senator Woodburn said that a self-appointment would, quote, 'get Jared out of the State and out of our lives'."

Bettina: "The State Republican Party is recommending that State House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds be appointed. And State AG Handel has openly stated that he would accept the appointment and should be offered it. Former State Senator Maxine Watts demanded that Jared appoint a black Democrat, as partial reparations for decades of slavery and discrimination. The State Democrat Party has demanded Jared appoint a Democrat, in order to, quote, 'reflect the real values of our State, which are solidly Democrat'. And now let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder for more on a huge victory for the People in Court. Lester!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Lester Holder, who was outdoors at an 'undisclosed location'. "Commander Donald Troy suffered a huge loss in Court, as Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom ruled that Commissioner Finneran could remain on the Board of Inquiry investigating Commander Troy for Police brutality. The Board is expected to reconvene tomorrow morning. Commissioner Finneran is running for the Inspector General position, and has been endorsed by KXTC Channel Two News!"

"And we have Commissioner Finneran with us." said Penis Holder, as the camera zoomed out to include Finneran. "Commissioner, can you respond to the filthy attacks upon you by the SBI and Republican campaign PACs?"

Finneran: "I sure can, Lester. The accusations are scurrilous and outright slander, and just show the continued abuse of gays by White Nationalist Republicans. They'll say anything to stop my campaign to bring justice on behalf of minorities against the racists within the Police Force that would use violence to keep blacks down. Commander Troy sic'ing his pitbulls of the SBI on me with false charges won't be enough to save him when I'm elected Inspector General."

"Thank you, Commissioner," said Penis Holder, shaking hands with Finneran. "And good luck to you in your campaign. And now let's go to our colleague Tim Sioban with KSB News in the City. Tim!"

The feed switched to Tim Sioban, who looked surprised and angry. "Er, I thought I was going to be led in by Bettina Wurtzburg. This is Tim Sioban, KSB News in the City. We have two major State-wide stories here in the City. First, in a story eerily reminiscent of philanthropist Henry R. Wargrave's death just over four years ago, U.S. Senator Samuel Russell fell to his death from the 30th floor of the Cannon Building. Sources confirm to KSB News that Senator Russell fell from the same office that Mr. Wargrave had fallen from, though it is not clear if it was the same window. Sources also tell KSB News that the FBI believes that it is most likely that Senator Russell committed suicide as he faced expulsion from the U.S. Senate as well as murder and rape charges."