Only Time Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And second," said Sioban, "the Social Justice group 'Black Voices Raised' has called for demonstrations and marches upon the Governor's Mansion to protest Police treatment of minorities. Governor Jared issued a statement saying that he welcomes peaceful demonstrations, but violence by terrorist organizations such as 'Antifa' will be met with appropriate force. The Governor's Protective Detail said that they will hide Governor Jared in a bunker if need be to protect him from any threats. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Tim! and our apologies for the mix-up." said Bettina. "And the Town & County Council will meet tonight for the Second Reading of the Bill for a new Police Intelligence Unit. While many will agree that the Police need some intelligence, experts are questioning the need for another Lieutenant slot and more manpower in Police Headquarters rather than in the Precincts."

Bettina finished up: "Meanwhile, the Town & County Assembly is under the gun to get a Budget passed by Election Day... and that, after the passage of a new Town & County Charter that changed a lot of the rules..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yeah, the Assembly is under the gun." said Cindy Ross as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "And they're putting all of us under the gun. Don... why didn't you put an exception for the Budget in Article V (five)?"

"What is Article V?" asked Tanya Perlman.

I replied: "Article V is a section in the new Charter that allows things for a limited time or a one-time difference than the rest of the Charter. For example, the School Board districts were computer-generated for this year's School Board election. The School Board can... and probably should... rewrite its districts for next year's regular election, and after that it's U.S. Census-based. Another example was allowing the Council to change the Fire Department's rank insignia, and they did, but future changes will require a referendum of the People. So Article V will cease to be in force once things get going. The U.S. Constitution had that, calling for certain things to expire after 1808."

I continued: "And the Charter Commission considered allowing the Assembly to have until Thanksgiving for the new Budget... but we thought that having a fire lit under their asses would make the Assembly scramble to get it done. In an example of theory vs. practice, in our haste to get the Charter passed so we could have Elections in November, we inadvertently put the Assembly... and all the Departments of Town & County Government... under a deadline that is coming up too fast. If I had it to do over again, I'd have something in Article V for the Budget."

"Oh, now you tell me." Cindy said.

"Yeah, but those stars look good on your collars." I said. "And the Sheriff's collars, too." Laughter broke out and the Sheriff's mustaches twitched merrily, and the requisite waving of a green crowbar in my general direction commenced.

"So, Sheriff," Tanya said with a wicked gleam in her twinkling eyes, "are you accepting Governor Jared's appointment of you to the U.S. Senate?" Griswold slowly turned his head to look at Tanya as if she'd lost her mind.

"Did you run your Tank into a tree or something?" the Sheriff replied sourly. "Hell no. I never would accept that."

"He did ask you if you wanted him to, though." I said with my own wicked grin.

"Okay, I admit it." Griswold finally growled after losing a 'blink' contest to me. "Yeah, he asked, though it was humorous, just like this morning's conversation right now. We did discuss who he really might appoint." The room went silent, and all eyes were on Our Sheriff.

"Don't you dare leave us in suspense like that, Sheriff." growled the Iron Wolf, Teresa Croyle. We all leaned forward and intentionally stared at Sheriff Griswold even harder.

"All right, all right." said the Sheriff. "But it does not get out of this room. Val did ask Lt. Governor Sharon Marshall if she wanted the appointment, but she declined; she's going to run for Governor next year. He's considering Peter Long Cox, Marsha Collins, and Billy Williams of our District. He may also consider someone who is not a politician, but a businessman... or -woman." We all nodded.

I slipped the Sheriff a piece of paper. He read it, looked over his shoulder and nodded at me, and pocketed the note. My Angels began staring at me the way we'd stared at the Sheriff. "That ain't gonna work on me." I said. To emphasize the point, I got up and poured myself some more coffee.

"I have a question." said Teresa Croyle. "Tim Sioban of KSB seemed very angry when he came on the air. What was that about?"

I grinned and said "I noticed that, too. I think he resented being led in by Lester Holder, as that really associates Sioban with Holder's racism. Sioban wants nothing to do with Lester Holder, and I think saying what he said was calling that out to KXTC. And you noticed how Bettina apologized when it went back to her. She understood Sioban's message."

"By the way, guys," Teresa said, "little Jack's birthday is today. He's six years old. We're going to have a party for him this evening, for those that want to come."

"I'll have my crew there." I said. Tanya said she'd bring Pete over. Cindy made regrets, saying she had budget work to do...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Let's watch some TV." I said as the 8:00am Angels Meeting began in my office. I turned the monitor on and the channel to KFXU Fox Eight News.

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce in the KFXU studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith!"

"Good morning, Catrina. Good morning, everyone." said Meredith. "Here's what's in the news: Shock waves are rippling throughout the County upon the revelations that a candidate for the Inspector General post allegedly molested underage boys."

She went on to discuss the SBI investigation of Finneran in great detail, ending with "Our competitor KXTC has made a point to endorse Commissioner Finneran, and we wonder if they will continue to back him after these sickening and disturbing allegations..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am. Cindy did not need a Whirlybat... she was flying low on her own into my office. "Internal Channel 2." she said, then grabbed the remote herself.

There were two ads for Finneran that had been recorded. One showed Finneran with former Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen. Mullen was saying "This County's citizens, especially blacks and women, need protection from the Police brutality of Commander Donald Troy and his crowbar. Only Commissioner Finneran can give you that protection. I urge you to vote Finneran for I.G., and stop Donald Troy's racism in its tracks."

Another ad showed Della Harlow with Finneran, saying "The Town & County Police has long discriminated against women, and only Commissioner Finneran is willing to stop it as your next Inspector General. Finneran... I'm with him!"

Yet another ad talked about the dragging death of metrosexual Kevin Greeley, showing some scenes of the processing of the crime out in those farm fields (Author's note: 'The Other World', Ch. 03.), with Finneran basically accusing me of being behind it, and saying he would stop Police violence against gays.

And then there was one 'interviewing' Lester Holder by himself, with the Penis Holder 'explaining' why only Finneran could stop blacks from being beaten like he (Holder) was. It is possible that Holder didn't mention that his beating came at the hands of other blacks.

Cindy said "I talked to Priya. She says KFXU is refusing to run the Holder ads, since he's their direct Media competitor; and they're relegating the Mullen and Harlow ads to odd hours of the night. And KXTC is simply refusing to run any anti-Finneran ads, citing either fact-checking failure or discrimination against Finneran as gay man."

"There's no discrimination against him for being gay." I said. "For being a pedophile that preys on underage children? That's different. Any ideas from Priya how things are going in the polls?"

"Way too early to tell." Cindy said. "I will say that KXTC's pleas for blacks to vote early and often hasn't materialized at the three early polling locations..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, my wife Laura was buzzed by her assistant Laurie, saying she had a visitor. A moment later, FBI Executive Assistant Director Dr. Robin Isley was seated in her office. Laura was very glad that none of her children were here.

"Robin." was all Laura said as Isley came in and walked up to the desk.

"Dr. Fredricson. It's been a long time." said Isley as she sat down. "It's a dangerous habit to finger loaded firearms in your lap."

Laura brought the revolver out and placed it on her desk in front of her. "It hasn't been long enough. And just so you know, I also was told what you said about Police Captain Perlman, and I share her fiancé and my husband's outrage."

Isley barely blinked. "Since it appears that any apology won't be accepted, I won't bother. What I came to talk to you about is the danger you are in from the Cartel, a danger greater than any you ever faced while in the CIA."

"I had a gun pointed at the back of my head by a Chechnyan madman." said Laura. "It didn't fire only because my husband cut off the hand it was attached to." (Author's note: 'Her Last Bow', Ch. 02.) "I seriously doubt I'm anywhere near that level of danger."

"I beg to differ." said Isley. "This is just as dangerous, perhaps even worse. The Cartel has put a bounty on your head, and your husband's. For your sakes, and the sake of your children, I am here to beg you to accept the advice given you, and go into Witness Protection."

"And why are you so suddenly interested in my safety?" Laura asked levelly. "I don't recall that level of... concern... when you worked for me in the Company."

"I always respected you, very much." counted Isley. "And I don't want to see your children harmed, nor even your husband. I heard about your daughter's brilliance in seeing that video code that led to a $400 million drug bust." (Author's note: 'Schoolhouse Rock', Ch. 01.) "Your children are in as much danger as you are."

Laura was looking skeptically at Robin Isley as she asked "Who sent you here?"

"I did."

Laura looked up to see the retired Deputy Director of the FBI come into the room. He said as he came up: "I'm the one that got Robin into the FBI after she was going to leave the Company. You know how good she is, and she's earned her EAD selection. And she's right, Laura: this Cartel threat is real, and very, very serious. I very much fear for you and your family."

"I appreciate your concern." Laura said. "But my husband is not going to run into hiding like a scared coward, I'm staying by my husband's side, and my children will stay with us. So why don't you two tell me what is really going on, here..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Tuesday, October 15th. Little Jack Burke's birthday party was at the 'Pizza Depot' north of the Town City Limit line, which catered to kids parties. There was an actual railroad caboose (old people know what those are, young people might not) attached to the building that diners could sit and eat in, but the party room was a larger room on the other side.

"How in the world did they get a train caboose here?" I asked Sheriff Griswold as we sat to one side.

"You know where the railroad comes out of the west and curves south?" the Sheriff said. I nodded and he said "There used to be a spur line that went straight east and west. Crossed the River on the same bridge as the Hammondsville Road, and this building was the old Roundhouse. The line went to the Stadium."

Griswold: "Then they built the main track to bypass the Town, rebuilt the bridge without railroad tracks, and tore out the rail. The State Crime Lab now sits where the rails used to go."

"Too bad they didn't preserve the old Roundhouse." I said, looking around. "Not many of the old ones left, anymore." The Sheriff nodded.

Some moment later, Teresa came up to me. "I sent you a nomination for a medal. For Father Romano."

"And I got it." I said. "I'm not sure the Council will accept rewarding a Star of Gallantry, though. I could put it off until next year, and then they don't decide."

Teresa nodded. "By the way," she said, "what about that Cartel threat against you? Should you not be worried about that?"

"Of course I'm concerned." I said. "But I'm more worried about the eagerness with which the Federal Marshals, EAD Robin Isley, and the retired DepDirector are trying to get us to go into Witness Protection. That... is the true 'strangeness'." Teresa turned to peer at me...

Part 6 - Black Swan

Wednesday, October 16th. When I woke up at 5:00am, Laura was already up.

"Beatrice's sister Rhonda is beginning to go into labor." Laura said. "The problem is that her uterus is going to try to push the baby out, but her vagina is not widening, and she's already experiencing some bleeding. It's going to be a hard morning."

"Okay." I said as I shaved and Laura got dressed. "I'll take care of the kids."

"I called Stephanie Steele already." Laura said. "It was her night to use the Observatory. Deliver Carole to her, and she'll take her to school with Marie. Molly takes Ross and Ian to Todd's house, and I usually drop Jim off there. Todd takes them to BOW Enterprises for day care and advanced kindergarten classes."

"Cool beans." I said. We went downstairs and I kissed Laura goodbye, then took the dogs out to the backyard. In the growing light, I looked around. The dogs did not perceive any threats, and neither did I, but I had a sense of foreboding.

"Hi Daddy." Carole said as she came up to me.

"Hi Fussbudget." I said. "Why are you up so early?"

"I woke up." Carole said. "Daddy, I don't know what it is, but something's not right."

"I'm getting the same feeling." I said. Just then, two outstanding dogs bounded up. Seeing Carole outside, the dogs had broken off whatever they'd been doing to take up protection detail. We all went back inside.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Looking at University Hospital from it's front, the front doors of the main section face west. The wings on the left and right jut out to the front and back. The back left first floor is the Emergency Room areas, and operating rooms are on the second floor above it. The back right, where the elevator to the underground tunnel is, is mostly long-term and hospice care. The front right has evolved into the Cancer Center. The main area is mostly hospital rooms, and upper floors of all sections of the 8-story building are hospital rooms and offices.

The front left's bottom floor is mostly areas for storage of supplies, with some areas turned into extra E.R. and mass casualty triage areas, and were used in the recent Point Hollow case. The second floor was one of the three most secure areas of the hospital; it was the maternity ward. There were delivery rooms, some of which could be turned into operating rooms in an emergency. There was one fully equipped operating room. Across the hall were the neonatal rooms for premature babies, and the nursery. It was extremely secure to prevent bad actors from trying to kidnap babies and selling them for as much as $100,000 a pop (pun not intended).

At 8:30am, Dr. Laura Fredricson came into the dedicated operating room after scrubbing. The two nurses were already there, and the patient had just been brought in. It was Rhonda Hooper, the sister of Beatrice and aunt of little Otis, who had died of cancer.

"Okay, she's just gone into labor," explained Laura, "but we already have bleeding and insufficient dilation. We'll deliver the baby by C-section, and then we'll go from there." She used a lot of medical terms to explain why there would likely be bleeding...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:38am. Father Alberto Romano pronounced the last rites over the dying old man in the Hospice wing of the Hospital. He did not know much about the old man, except that he'd been a U.S. Marine in World War II, and had seen and experienced cruelties of war that no human being should ever have to see.

All of the man's relatives and friends had preceded him in death, and only Chaplain Romano and Commander Troy had come to see him in his final months. Commander Troy always made time for old war veterans, Father Romano noted. Young people nowadays didn't remember, much less respect, what their forefathers had sacrificed and suffered for them.

Only the Chaplain and the Death Cat were in attendance as he breathed his last, and then expired. Father Romano had seen the Death Cat many times, but he had never heard it make a sound...

"MEEEEOOWWWWW!"

Father Romano turned his head to see the Death Cat staring right at him. "MEEEEOOOWWW!" the cat cried out again, as if in warning...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:40am. The ambulance went up the drive towards University Hospital's emergency rooms, past the front parking lot, then the grassy yard in front of the Hospital. The gate across the drive was open, but a sign said that only authorized vehicles were permitted beyond that point. The security guard at the gate just waved as the ambulance drove past.

To his shock, he heard the ambulance suddenly speed up. Looking up and over, he was stunned to see that it had veered off course, and was bearing down right at the doors at the end of the northwest wing!...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:40am. Carole Troy got up from her desk in her 2nd grade homeroom and went up to her teacher Ms. Billings. Ms. Billings was in her late 20s, tall, with long black hair, and some might wonder why she wasn't married yet, but I digress.

"Ms. Billings, can you call my dad?" Carole said, handing Ms. Billings her father's Police card with his number on it, which had been given to Carole in case of emergencies.

Ms. Billings looked at the card and said "Why do I need to call your father?"

"Something's not right." said Carole. "Something bad is about to happen."

"Okay, I'll call him." said Ms. Billings, having been forewarned in the past about 'requests' like these. "You sit back down." Carole went back to her desk, which was right behind Marie, who was looking quizzically at her BFF as Ms. Billings went out into the hall...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sound of the baby crying loudly was welcome music to the ears of the surgical staff. "It's a girl. Time, 8:40am." Laura said as she handed the baby to one of the nurses, who went to clean her off and begin the measurements.

"Doctor," said the other nurse, "she's bleeding." She meant the mother. Laura turned her attention to the situation at hand, looking into the opening she had just made to deliver the baby by C-section.

"Damn, that's what I was afraid of." Laura said. After the two women worked for a moment, Laura said "I can't tell where this bleeding is coming from."

"It's from all over, Doctor." said the nurse. "She hemorrhaging."

"You're right, it's from multiple locations." Laura said. "I have no choice, then; I'm going to have to remove her uterus. Scalpel---"

***VOLTHOOOOOOM!!***

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All classrooms, Code Yellow." came the announcement over the intercom of Eastside Elementary. "All classrooms, Code Yellow."

A few moments later, Ms. Billings came back into the classroom, looking shaken up. "Okay, everyone, it's time for the math lesson. Let's go over the addition problems from yesterday. What is five plus four? Carole?"

When Carole didn't answer, Ms. Billings peered at her and saw that tears were silently flowing down Carole's cheeks. "Carole, what's wrong?" the teacher asked.

"My mom is hurt." Carole said. "She's hurt really bad..."