Only Time Ch. 01

Story Info
A Senator's death is investigated. A horrific attack occurs.
14.1k words
4.81
8.8k
8

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/25/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Special note: There are NO sex acts involving minors in this story, nor any of my stories.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

"And who can say when the day sleeps
If the night keeps
all your heart?"

---Enya, 'Only Time'

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, October 14th, from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "The Court ruling on the Board of Inquiry is imminent!"

Bettina began: "Lawyers for the six citizens who claim Police Commander Donald Troy used excessive force in arresting them won an appeal of Judge Rodney K. Watts's stay of the Board of Inquiry to investigate the matter. Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom was ordered by the Appellate Court to make a ruling no later than close-of-business today if Commissioner Finneran is to be recused or entitled to remain on the Board. The Appeals Court demanded that Judge Folsom make the ruling instead of Judge Rodney K. Watts, who Appellate Judge Leahy said was too biased in favor of the Police to make a fair ruling."

Bettina: "Judge Folsom's ruling will have to be made today. Political and judicial experts believe that the accusation of bias on the part of Commissioner Finneran has not been adequately shown, and he will be allowed to remain on the panel. Not as clear is whether Mayor Daniel Allgood, who many believe illegally stole the Mayoral election last year, can name other Board members or replace Commissioner Finneran. And joining us this morning is Commissioner Finneran."

As the television went to a split-screen, Bettina said: "Commissioner Finneran, do you believe you'll be restored to the Board of Inquiry?"

Finneran: "Yes, Bettina, I'm sure I will be. This attempt by the corrupt and racist Police Commander Donald Troy to have his crimes covered up by the rubber-stamp Board of illegitimate Mayor Allgood and failed Inspector General Horace Wellman will not be allowed to succeed."

Bettina: "Mr. Finneran, why are you running for the Inspector General position?"

Finneran: "Bettina, I'm running to protect minorities from Police abuse, to stop the rubber-stamping exonerations of Commander Troy in the face of obvious Police brutality and crimes he has committed. I'm sure you all remember how he endangered the Public by firing a machine gun at SBI Agents, and a gun on a helicopter into a park that minorities bring their children to. And of course, Commander Troy wrongly arrested a minority woman on trumped-up charges of election fraud, enabling Mayor Allgood to steal the election from its rightful winner, Eldrick X. Weaver. Someone has to stand up to Donald Troy, and as your Inspector General, I will be the one to do it, fearlessly and honestly."

"Thank you, Mr. Finneran!" Bettina said happily. As the screen went full-frontal to her, she said "Commissioner Finneran is running for Inspector General against Horace Wellman. KXTC Channel Two News has endorsed Mr. Finneran for the Inspector General post."

Bettina: "And for more election news, let's go to trusted reporter Lester Holder. Lester!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Penis Holder as he appeared on the screen, which was a green screen in the studio with City Hall as the background. "The non-partisan elections for many positions are on Election Day, and early voting begins tomorrow morning! KXTC has endorsed Mr. Finneran for Inspector General, and we encourage voters to vote as early as possible for him. There are several other hotly contested races, including for the School Board in nearly every district created by the new Charter, as well as new Board for Public Utilities. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Lester!" said Bettina. "And we certainly do encourage voters, especially minority voters, to vote as early as possible! Meanwhile, the Town & County Assembly is working hard to create a new budget for the Town & County, and with the new Charter providing for many new things, they've got their work cut out for them. They will have to have next year's budget passed by Election Day this year..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Is KXTC allowed to do that?" asked Teresa Croyle as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "They may can endorse a candidate, but to give him air time that amounts to a free campaign ad? That cannot be legal."

"It's probably not." I said. "So someone with standing needs to sue KXTC, or make a complaint to the FEC, FCC, and other law enforcement entities."

"Who has standing?" Cindy asked.

"Finneran's political opponents." I said. "But there's only one: Horace Wellman."

Sheriff Griswold said "It's possible that any elected official has some standing. I might have standing, since the new I.G. Office will directly affects the Public Safety Department."

"And we don't have standing? As LEOs witnessing a crime?" Cindy said incredulously.

"We have stand-ing to complaaaaaain to the FEC and FCC." the Chief said. "Or to their State equivalents. But to go through the hoops of making a criminal complaint, taking it to the D.A., and so on?" He let it hang in the air after that. I just sipped my coffee.

Teresa spoke up: "Can someone tell me why KXTC is begging minorities to vote as quickly as possible?"

"That's a good question." said the Sheriff. "Any guesses before Crowbar here tells us the answer?" Everyone except me chuckled at that.

"Let's just skip to that part, sir." said Cindy. "Don?"

"Early voting starts tomorrow." I said. "Normally, campaigning has been going on for months by the time the early voting period starts, so the mud is long since slung, and people have made up their minds. With this election, there's been barely what? two, three weeks? to register, and one week from then before voting has started."

I continued: "The point is that KXTC believes minorities will vote for Finneran if they don't hear anything bad about him, and if they can get the votes for him in early, then whatever bad comes out later will come out too late; the early votes have been cast."

"What bad things will come out about Finneran?" asked Teresa. "Besides the fact he's just a plain old asshole?"

"The fact that he's a card-carrying member of NAMbLA, the North American Man-boy Love Association." I said. "They advocate doing away with pedophilia laws, particularly between grown men and underage boys."

"I thought that was an urban legend." Teresa said. Cindy shook her head vigorously in disagreement.

"No, it's very real." said Cindy. "It was founded in the late 1970s, and had a following in the 1980s. But by the 1990s it was pretty much forced underground. But there are still members out there."

"You think KXTC knowwwwws that about Finneran?" asked the Chief.

"Yes sir." I said. "And they've hitched their wagon to him; they're totally committed."

"You're kidding." said Teresa, disgust on her pretty face.

"No, I'm not." I said. "The Media does not care if Finneran is a pedophile. With them, it's ideology and agenda first..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After watching the KFXU report, we started the Angels meeting.

"Callie has flown out to California." Cindy said. "So it's just me and Betsy this week. We're staying at my Mom's condo."

"Cool beans." I said. "How's the Budget going?"

Cindy replied "That's why I'm staying with Mom. She can babysit while I work on it. But it's coming along."

"Okay, what else?" I asked. "Tanya?"

"University Hospital reported their last inventory of their narcotics came up short." Tanya said. "Cocaine and morphine, which are prescribed for terminally ill patients in the hospice care unit and the cancer care unit. Coleman and Newman from Vice have been assigned to it."

"It's been years since they've had missing narcotics." I said. "Tell Coleman and Newman that that nurse we call 'Nurse Ratchett' was involved in that, but don't question her until they get more facts on what happened."

"Wilco." Tanya said, making notes.

"Teresa?" I asked.

Teresa said "I need to get together with Tanya about training for the Detectives. Close quarters combat and SWAT-style tactics. With the new Intelligence Division coming into being, the Detectives are going to be in the field more, and may be expected to participate in mobile operations, such as drug raids."

"Like the good ol' days." Cindy said. "When a certain Vice Detective that never learned how to duck kept collecting Purple Orders." She was referring to Teresa in the days of Captain Malone as Vice leader.

"She's on permanent desk duty now." I said with a grin, teasing the Iron Wolf. "Of course, I had to promote her to make that desk duty happen." Teresa showed no outward reaction, so I said: "But that's a good idea, Teresa. Yes, the Detectives may be doing more. Get 'em up to speed..."

Part 2 - Senatorial Power, Senatorial Puddle

9:00am, Monday, October 14th. I was behind my desk in my office. Sitting in front of me in the 'hot chairs' were Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Lt. Commander Ted Orosco of Internal Affairs. Ted had been promoted along with Teresa under the new rank structure.

"Okay, Ted," I said, "I want you to work with Teresa on this, and you're probably doing it already. I want you to analyze every Police Officer on the Force. See who is getting the most complaints... legitimate complaints. I'll probably win the complaints contest because those activist groups kept lodging false complaints about me..."

Teresa was nodding vigorously in agreement, and a red crowbar was waved in her general direction as I continued: "... but I want a forensic-quality analysis of everyone. I want to nip any issues we might have in the bud, before an incident happens and the Press distorts it."

"Yes sir." said Orosco. "And yes, we're looking out for those red flags all the time, as it is."

"All right, y'all get to it." I said. "Let me know what----"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

"Troy." I said, answering my Police iPhone. "Whaaa?... you're kidding... yeah, okay, I'll be right there."

"What is it?" Teresa asked as I disconnected.

"That was FBI ASAC Karina White in the City." I said. "U.S. Senator Samuel Russell apparently jumped out of a top-floor window of the Cannon Building. He's dead...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After telling the Chief what had just happened, Lt. Jerome Davis and I sped to the City in my Police SUV, blue lightbar blazing, and the powerful engine supporting the 180-mph speed I was achieving.

Driving up to the Cannon Building, which the late Henry Wargrave once owned, we were allowed into the parking garage by uniformed City Police Officers. We made our way through checkpoints at the elevator in the garage, then getting off on the 29th floor, where Senator Russell's condo was.

"Hi Don. Hi Jerome." said FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone as we came into the condo. Also there were Detectives E.J. Jefferson and Robin Ventura of the CPD, SBI Agents Terence Johnson and James Tarleton, FBI Assistant Special Agent In Charge Karina White, and FBI Special Agent Julius Jefferson. I heard some raised voices, which ceased when I walked in.

"Is there a problem here, Officers?" I said with Rudistan-'ish' joviality.

"Jurisdictional issues, Commander." said ASAC Karina White. That set off a number of people talking over each other at the same time. I finally was able to hear a few statements.

"It's either murder or suicide, Don." FBI Special Agent Julius Jefferson said. "The FBI is here because Russell was still a U.S. Senator, though he wasn't going to be for much longer."

"And the City Police has jurisdiction for murder or suicide." said City Detective E.J. Jefferson... Julius's first cousin.

"Tell you guys what." I said. "In the interests of keeping the Jefferson family Christmas a happy and harmonious one, let's work together on this. So... when and where did Russell exit the building?"

"Just before dawn, and upstairs, in the office." said Karina White. I followed her, and several of the others followed me and Jerome Davis as we exited the condo and climbed the stairs to the office that had once been the office of the late Henry Wargrave.

I did not say anything as I saw that the broken-out window that Russell apparently had gone through was the same one that Wargrave had gone through courtesy of me and Cindy Ross. (Author's note: 'Reichenbach', Ch. 05. )

"All these other windows are bulletproof." said Jack Muscone. "But that window is the same one Henry Wargrave jumped through to his death. A temporary window was put in its place, and we don't know if that was later replaced by a bulletproof window."

"I see." I said. "And the answer will be revealed when the shards of glass on the ground below are examined." I peered out the window to the ground below, and saw that a tent had been erected over the crime scene. Then I looked around the office. The desk was not where Wargrave's desk had been. "Is that where Russell's desk always was?" I asked.

"As far as we know." said Muscone.

"And I'm sure a ton of people have walked all over this carpeted floor, leaving us no traces to see." I said as I peered at the floor.

"I'm afraid so." said Muscone.

"The City Police were already here when we got here, and they'd walked all over the place." said SBI Agent Johnson. The CPD Detectives bristled at that.

"I'm not playing the blame game on that." I said, trying to keep the peace between the SBI and City Police. "One walks into the room, sees the shattered window, and goes up to it and looks out. But it's always good protocol honed by intensive training to walk on as small an area as possible."

I was examining the windowsill and about one foot of wall beneath the broken window. "Hmm, some very slight scuff marks here." I said.

"Our CSIs noted that." said Robin Ventura. "I'll send you their full report, if you like, Commander. I'll have to get authorization to share it with the SBI or FBI, though."

"You'll send it to him, but not to us?" Jack Muscone barked. The City Detectives looked darkly at him. I pointed at Muscone before anyone else could say anything.

"You are not helping, Jack." I said. "Detective Ventura is offering me a professional courtesy. If the rest of you keep your big mouths shut, who knows who I might accidentally forward that report to, and the City Detectives don't get in any hot water with their brass."

"Of course." said Muscone. "My apologies." Tension in the room subsided, somewhat.

"What was Senator Russell wearing when he hit the cobblestones below?" I asked.

"A suit, black pants and jacket." said E.J. Jefferson. "Blue shirt, as in royal blue. No necktie. His wallet was in his pants pocket, about $500 and two credit cards, one Visa and one Mastercard."

"Was his U.S. Senate ID or security card in the wallet?" I asked.

"No sir." said E.J., looking at his tablet. "Just his drivers license, the credit cards, and the money. Here's the photos they took." I took the proffered iPad and looked at the photos. They showed the evidence of what happens when a body hits concrete from 30 floors up without the aid of a perfectly good parachute, and I won't describe that here.

"Do a DNA test to confirm that it really is Russell." I said. "I wouldn't put anything past that tricky bastard."

"Already asked for, sir." said E.J. "I've worked for the TCPD, Commander, and that was the first thing I thought of, that Russell was faking his death." I laughed at that.

"That's true, and I'd love to get you back." I said. "Camera footage?"

"The Cannon Building security people wouldn't give it to us without a warrant." said Robin Ventura. "We're trying to get a warrant now. In fact, sir, it's been long enough. I need to check on that." She fished out her cellphone.

"You guys," I said, pointing at Jack and Karina, "share the footage with the CPD and the SBI, please. That's a personal request from me, your friendly neighborhood FBI Consultant." The SBI and CPD people looked at me and then the FBI people in shock, having deduced what I was really saying there: that the FBI already had the footage, and it was possible they were working to delay the warrant being issued.

"Four hundred years ago." said Jack Muscone. "Karina, send Detective Ventura whatever we have... in exchange for the CPD's CSI initial crime scene reports." Ventura gave Muscone a withering look.

"Sounds like a fair trade." I said, then turned to Jerome Davis and said "See, Davis? These Agencies can work together in harmonious cooperation, and share data. Okay, let's go downstairs and look at his living quarters."

We went down the stairs to the apartment. I saw a lot of markers in place for videotaping evidence but not a lot of that evidence, as much of it had been taken for analysis. So I watched on Robin's tablet the videotapes that had been made as the evidence was collected.

"One drink glass on the coffee table, there." I said. "And it's twin is by the decanters on the credenza over there, unused. Hmmm... I've been in here before, to arrest Russell, and I distinctly remember four matching glasses by the decanters. Ergo, we are missing two drink glasses." Agents and Detectives looked at each other in 'wtf?' shock.

"The bed was made, but hastily?" I asked, looking at the video. Unfortunately the sheets had been stripped for analysis, so I was looking at a bare mattress in the apartment.

"Yes, Commander." said Detective Ventura. "I can check with the CSIs to see if they noted how well it was made."

"The Senator had maid service." I said. "They would have made the bed well, maybe even changed the sheets. You might ask your CSIs and the Crime Lab to check on the freshness of the sheets. Spray some Luminol and put a fluoroscope on them. Fresh sheets won't glow, but sheets with sweat, skin, or semen will show up."

"If I may, sir?" asked SBI Agent Tarleton. I nodded and he said "Why is that important?"

"Good question." I replied. "It will show if the Senator slept in his bed last night. It doesn't prove anything in it's own right, but it might show if the Senator had unexpected visitors last night. If he didn't sleep in his bed, it doesn't really show anything... except that he did not go to bed in the normal way most of us do."

"Sir," said E.J. Jefferson, "couldn't he have fallen asleep on the sofa after drinking?"

"Oh yes, of course." I said. "I just need to know for the sake of knowing." Absolutely no one was fooled by that casual statement.

"Sir," said Robin Ventura, "the CSIs did note that the shower was not used; it was dry."

"So he jumped out of the window unclean." I said. "How thoughtless of him." Everyone chuckled at that. "So no signs of a struggle? Nothing broken? I saw that the door was not forced."

"That is correct, sir." said Robin Ventura. "Nothing broken, nothing seemingly out of place, no dust-free surfaces surrounded by dusty surfaces."

"Okay, witness interviews." I said. "What did the guards have to say?"

ASAC Karina White said "All of them said that no one entered or left the condo after midnight, including Samuel Russell. His daughter and his lawyer came to visit in the early evening, and in the condo, not the office. No one heard anything at the time of his death, right around dawn. No breaking windows, no screams, nothing at all."