Only Time Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Smart man." I said. "And... what the fuck?" I nodded my head towards the door, and Muscone turned to look. Coming out of the bar and onto the deck was Dr. Robin Isley!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Silence was almost instantaneous, especially at our table, creating a very uncomfortable silence. "Commander Troy," Isley said, ignoring the ugly looks of the others, especially Tanya and Teresa, "may I speak with you for a moment?"

"All right." I said, slowly getting up.

"Don!" Teresa very quietly said, but I intervened.

"It'll be all right." I said. I walked with Isley down the wheelchair ramp to the parking lot.

"I just want you to know that I took your advice." Robin Isley said when we stopped. "I asked for a transfer to the FBI's Science and Technology Branch, as their EAD, and they agreed." I just nodded, and Isley said "So I guess I am following your wife yet again, though to her Directorate's cousin in the FBI."

When I didn't say anything, Isley said "I don't know if they're going to put Owen Lange in my current EAD slot, but whether they do or don't, he's safe. And so is your friend Muscone, and ASAC White."

"And Halsey?" I asked.

"I really did try to get him back here for you." Isley said. "You can ask your D.A.; I contacted her about a plea deal for much lesser charges. But after you ripped the BATFE to shreds at that Press conference, I'm sure you understand that they're circling the wagons and getting out of Dodge, so to speak. And that includes keeping Halsey away from here... and they'll fight like hell if your D.A. refiles charges."

"Okay, then." I said. "You did what you said you'd do... and so did I, though you may not approve of the way I did it by exposing the BATFE that way."

"Yes." said Isley, an ever-so-slight gleam in her eye. "You know, someone told me something about you that is true. You have a quality that is rare in this world: unpredictability. They can't gauge you. The Rovers BAU Team has embarrassed itself trying to. They, meaning all the Feds, don't know what to expect of you next. And that can be a bad thing as well as a good thing."

"Yes, it can." I agreed. "I guess you're going back to Washington?"

"Yes." said Isley. "Don, I know we got off on the wrong foot, and that's too bad; we could've made a very good team. I really am not your enemy. Maybe I'll have a chance to make amends."

"Maybe." I said simply. "You have a good trip home. And stay safe. The waters are getting a bit... swampy, these days..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we ate beef nachos and drank beer and sodas, with me sticking to Cherry Coke Zero, we discussed what had happened.

"I don't understand this whole thing from the get-go." said Teresa. "The reason for the terrorist attack. The lack of cooperation with State and local agencies. The false narratives to the Media. The cover-ups. The attempts on Laura's life. Help me out, Don."

"Yes." Tanya said. "Do you have any idea of why they bombed the Hospital?"

"What are your guesses?" I asked.

"A distraction." said Tanya. "Maybe they wanted to distract from the investigation of U.S. Senator Russell's death."

"That's Iron Crowbar thinking, there." I said.

"I don't really have any idea why someone would do this, except as a standard terrorist attack of some kind." said Teresa. "So do you know what it is, Don?"

"Yes." I said. "But I must have your word that you won't reveal my reason to anyone, not your husbands, not to anyone at all." My Angels swore upon whatever they considered holy.

"It's obvious." I said. "They were trying to kill Laura."

"So that was it, all along?" Tanya said, starting to get it.

Teresa was stunned. "All those people... those little babies... they slaughtered them, just to get at her?"

"Yes." I said. "And what you just said is the reason I don't want her to ever find out. Imagine how she'd feel if she knew they all died just because someone was trying to kill her."

"Yeah, I get that." said Tanya. "But why not try to shoot her, like Logan did the next night? Why go through the planning, the preparation, the expense, all that?"

"Because they feared my retribution if it was obviously murder." I said. "And maybe they feared some other people's retaliation, people loyal to Laura that are still in the Federal Government. They were trying to hide the assassination attempt in the smoke of the terrorist attack. When that failed, they had no choice but to send an assassin for a more direct attempt, and Logan was chosen to be sacrificed for that cause. But that failed, as well."

"Why?" Teresa asked. "Because she knows something? Revenge?"

"Well, we need to look at the sequence of events as a whole." I said. "Now why in the world did they try to get Laura to go into Witness Protection? And yes, it was her they were trying to get to do that. I'm just icing on the cake if they can get me out of here. My answer is that people who were trying to protect Laura were trying to get her out of danger: Martin Nash's uncle, General McFarland, Robin Isley. They knew something was coming, even if they didn't know what it was. Now exactly what her enemies were trying to eliminate her over, I am not sure."

Your Iron Crowbar continued: "As to the terrorist attack, it was obvious to me from the beginning that something was off about it. I actually went in there, posing as an FBI Consultant, and could see that the damage was limited, and that it wasn't ANFO. But HDX, or new compounds like HNIW? That appeared to be the case. But HDX is expensive as hell, hard to get, and HNIW is not even on the market, but still being researched. So who has the money to buy those materials, not to mention virtually exclusive access to them? The Government."

Your Iron Crowbar: "And then there's the very interesting situation of the truck that was used. It was custom built, and created in such a way as to direct the blast. In other words, it was really nothing more than a huge shape charge. And it did it's job. But who has the money to have such a vehicle made? The Government."

Your Iron Crowbar: "And the two people in the truck? And Nurse 'Ratchett'? My thesis is that she was supposed to set a homing device, then get out. But someone killed her, maybe with the infamous 'CIA heart attack gun' that actually shoots ice needles filled with poison. The ice melts, meaning the evidence is gone. Ice really is the perfect weapon for killing people."

"But let's not tell the perps that." Teresa said. Tanya nodded vigorously in agreement.

I nodded, then said: "Anyhoo, she sets the homing device, and there are electronics on the truck that fed on the signal. Those were expected to be destroyed by the blast, and what wasn't destroyed could be taken out by corrupt Agents and spirited away."

"And Nurse 'Ratchett' told them when Laura would be in the O.R. on that wing?" Teresa asked. "And did that knowing that little babies would be the ones to die?"

"Maybe." I said. "After all, this was the same nurse that tried to keep me from bringing Buddy to see Amy. Nothing but pure evil in that woman' heart." Teresa nodded, her face becoming sad as she remembered Amy. (Author's note: 'Hampered In His Plans', Ch. 01.)

"Sooooo," I said, "their freelance hit team was probably ready for a few days, then got the 'go' signal when Laura came in early to operate on Rhonda Hooper. The truck's drivers may have known about the guidance system and planned to jump out, but found the doors were welded shut, and that they were intended to die in the blast, which they did. And the Nurse's body was placed in the wing to receive as much of the blast as possible, but Martha is a sharp M.E., and discovered that the nurse was dead when the blast occurred."

Your Iron Crowbar: "And then there was the curious situation of the Feds coming in and simply not cooperating with State and local authorities. I don't think that all of them are bad or ever were, but enough of the important ones were corrupt, and were sent in to make sure the truth never came out. But they will have to work harder than that to fool me, and I made that demonstration with that very exciting Press conference this morning."

"Lookit you... Media whore hamming it up for the cameras." said Teresa, needling me. Then I noticed the look on Tanya's face.

"What?" I asked. "Why it's gotten so bad?"

Tanya nodded. "Not much gets past you, and you're reading my mind. Is the Federal Government really that corrupt?"

I paused for a second, then said. "It's getting there. The Swamp is starting to take over and win. The American Government is no longer Government of the People, by the People, for the People. Democrats who wish to wipe out the Constitution and impose Socialism are joined by Establishment Republicans who serve the Corporate Interests, neither Party giving a damn about the American People. Just try to contact your Congressman or Senator; they won't even return your phone call unless you've given them oodles of money in campaign contributions!"

Your Iron Crowbar: "What they want is control of us, and they don't care how they get it, even if it means killing babies." I said. "They are working closely with their allies of the deeply corrupt Media, working relentlessly and tirelessly to destroy everything GOOD about the United States of America, our Constitution, and Individual Freedom."

Your Iron Crowbar: "For example, there will never be good race relations in this country because the God-cursed Media works relentlessly to create division and chaos, and pit groups against groups: blacks vs. white, blacks vs. the Police, women vs. men, LGBTQ vs. the rest of the alphabet, and so on."

Your Iron Crowbar: "And furthermore to this point: one day, the American People are going to get tired of the shit, and they're going to elect a President who genuinely wants American Exceptionalism, puts America first, supports the rights and freedoms of the People, and won't do the Establishment's bidding. The Press will work relentlessly to stop that candidate from being elected, and those corrupt agents of the FBI and other agencies will work relentlessly to stop that candidate, including lying to and about him, and even framing him. They will work relentlessly to impeach him on false charges, and possibly to assassinate him."

Your Iron Crowbar: "It's going to be very, very ugly... and I'm not sure we're going to be able to beat the Swamp. They very likely will win, at the rate we're going, if people don't wake up to the fact they are the frogs in the pan that is slowly heating up to a boil, they will be roasted alive. And that's why I gave that Press conference that I did this morning: I don't intend to be cooked slowly, I prefer to die fighting, as a living being with the right to exist as a free Individual."

"Yes," said Tanya, "but how do you really feel about it?" We all chuckled at that as I mentally came down from my soapbox.

"I'll tell you that," I said to Tanya, "after you buy the next round of nachos..."

Part 22 - I Spy

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday October 21st, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the distant background. "Channel Two News has learned that massive changes are being made in the investigation of the terrorist attack upon University Hospital!"

Bettina began: "Sources tell Channel Two News that a new team of Federal investigators are being brought in after the explosive revelations by Police Commander Donald Troy that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives lied about their findings of who is allegedly responsible for the blast that killed 12 and wounded 70."

Bettina: "Channel Two News has learned that the new investigative team will be spearheaded by General Alexander McFarland, who was the commander of the military exercise in our Town & County last March." That would be the EMPTY QUIVER event, I thought to myself, knowing Bettina could not speak of that, even if she knew about it.

Bettina: "The previous field leader for the investigation, BATFE Special Agent in Charge Curtis Halsey, was recalled to Washington. The BATFE says that his relocation had nothing to do with local charges against him for attempting to discharge his weapon at a TCPD helicopter, but was a routine reassignment. The BATFE is also saying that the information they gave about the 'American Jihadi Front' and a White Nationalist group was believed to be correct at the time, and that honest mistakes were made in the dissemination of the information."

Bettina: "It was going to be some time before the investigation was finished, but with the restart, authorities believe it will take months to complete. A spokesman for General McFarland's office said State and local authorities have been invited to join in, but Governor Val Jared and SBI Director James Goodwin announced that in the wake of the disinformation put out by the BATFE and the non-cooperation earlier, the SBI will not participate. TCPD Chief Sean Moynahan issued a statement saying that the Town & County Police and Sheriff's Departments will continue to provide perimeter security as they have been since the attack.

Bettina: "And now let's go to Jeff Hull with Sports, and the upcoming big game between the University Bulldogs and our hated rival, the Wildcats. Jeff!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Jeff Hull, every black hair on his head perfectly in place as he came onto the screen with University Memorial Stadium behind him. "Both the Bulldogs and Wildcats had open dates this past weekend, giving each club two full weeks to prepare for each other. The Wildcats, led by the rushing attack of Heisman Trophy candidate Clarence Appletree, are favored at home, but the visiting Bulldogs are hoping to repeat their win in the Wildcats's home stadium two years ago!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And so it begins." I said as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "Honest mistakes, nothing abnormal, nothing to see here, move along..."

Tanya Perlman said "Jack told me that the new plan is to quietly pretend to investigate for a couple of weeks, then they will very quietly disappear and there will be a transition to rebuilding the Hospital wing before anyone really realizes what is going on."

Cindy Ross said "So months later, someone will look around, realize that it's long since over, ask 'what happened?' and just not get any answers." Tanya nodded.

"Soooo, Mr. Crowbarrrr," said Chief Moynahan, "are you going to the game this weekend?"

"Noooooo, sir." I said. "Laura's getting out of the Hospital today, and I'll be taking care of her at home. We'll watch the Wildcats win from the comfort of home."

"Sounds like a plan," said Cindy, "except for the part about the Wildcats winning." Teresa and Tanya chuckled.

"Well," I said, "I have to say that this attack on the Hospital has taken away a lot of the fun of the banter. That, and the hopelessness of the Bulldogs's situation." Teresa and Tanya were (almost) silently breaking down laughing as Cindy gave me a look that connoted hopelessness in curing me of my delusions of Wildcat grandeur.

"By the way, where's the Sheriff?" I asked.

"In a meeting about the Budget." Cindy said. "We present to the Town Assembly on Friday. And it's big for the Public Safety Department: the EMS will be presenting their first budget..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:30am, Monday, October 21st. A group began assembling outside the front doors of University Hospital. All of the doctors on Staff, the Hospital Administrator, many of the nurses, and other employees were forming something of a gauntlet. Town & County Police, Sheriff, and Fire Department personnel who were on the scene came up also.

I took the opportunity to step outside the doors and address them. "You all did a wonderful job last week under horrifying circumstances and conditions, all of you. And if I may be allowed to speak on behalf of all the People of this County, I want to thank all of you for your service and your efforts in these times. Your work has not gone unnoticed nor unremembered." Everyone applauded politely.

And then the reason for us all being here: the doors opened, and out rode Laura in a wheelchair, pushed by Nurse Jones, in the traditional hospital discharge. Everyone applauded, especially Laura's fellow doctors and nurses, as she was driven to the waiting Police Commander's SUV. She waved at everyone in appreciation, then stood up and walked the three feet to get into the shotgun seat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sofa in front of the TV in the front room of The Cabin is a sofa-bed, though rarely used. It was being used now. My mother Phyllis and Cindy's mother Maggie were on hand as Laura walked in slowly, holding onto my arm for support. We got her into the bed and settled in comfortably.

"This mattress is not too bad." Laura said as she adjusted herself. One thing about being at home: no morphine drip; this was one way to help assure that there would be no developing drug dependancy.

"I'm going to go back to work." I said, once I was assured all was well.

"Before you go," Laura said, "fill me in on what's going on." I did so, at least the parts I was willing to tell her, and then we discussed everything and I answered questions, at least the ones for which I had answers.

"So no idea of the motive?" Laura asked, peering at me.

"You know, honey," I said, "I wouldn't put it past some bad people to do this just to distract from the death of U.S. Senator Russell."

"Here's a theory for you." Laura said. "They were trying to kill me."

"And what was the motive, Gold Crowbar?" I asked. "Is there any particular reason the Swamp Frogs would send a mercenary unit to kill you with a truck bomb requiring preparation and a lot of expense?"

Laura said "DNI Brendan Chapel is the poster child for the Swamp Frogs, and he knows I know about a lot of his dirty laundry and where the bodies are buried. Robin Isley is his disciple, and she knows I know too much about her, as well."

"That reminds me." I said. "She says she was your disciple, and that she worshipped you while she was in the CIA. What happened that caused you to distrust her?"

"No one thing." said Laura. "But I would suggest that her loyalty, at least to me, was nowhere near as strong as she might have said it was. She's a very manipulative bitch, and will say anything and do anything to advance herself. I'm not saying she was behind the attempt to kill me... which we both know is what that was, Darling... but if Chapel was involved, she would be his useful tool for the cover-up."

"Hmmm." I said, nodding. "Well, we'll talk about it later tonight. I gotta go."

With that, I exited the house and got into my vehicle. As I drove along the road by University Memorial Stadium, I saw the signs going up, exhorting the Bulldogs to 'BEAT THE WILDCATS! That did not distract me from the realization that my wife knew a lot more than she was saying out loud... and that she might never tell me what she knew about all this...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

5:00pm, Monday, October 21st. Carole and Marie came into The Cabin and were very happy to see Laura at home. Laura was happy to see them, too.

"We wrote you a book, Mommy." Carole said as she got onto the bed next to Laura's right side and nestled in next to her. Marie sat on the bed lower down, next to Laura's leg.

"Aw, that's sweet of you." Laura said. "Why don't we read it together."

Carole said "It's called 'I Spy'. And it's about what we spy you doing every day."

"Yeah." said Marie enthusiastically.

The cover had a headshot drawing of Laura in scrubs and her doctor coat, and it was almost shocking how well Marie was drawing things like that. I was ready to offer her a job with our sketch artists.