Only Time Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Carole read: "I Spy. What do I spy? I spy Mommy pouring us cereal for breakfast." The drawing showed Carole, Jim, and Marie at the table, Buddy and Bowser on the floor in front (and the drawing was so good that one could really see who the dogs were), and Laura was pouring a bowl of cereal.

Carole read: "I spy Mommy in her office, teaching her stu-dents." And the drawing showed Laura in a chair at the end of the row of the two sofas, and students, all college girls, sitting and listening.

Carole read: "I spy Mommy at the Hosss-pitlll, helping sick people get better." The photo showed Laura in her scrubs and white doctor coat, using her stethoscope, listening to Marie's heart.

Carole read: "I spy Mommy catching us making a mess. It's a good thing she doesn't have a crow-bar." The photo showed Carole, Buddy, Bowser, and Marie looking up and over their shoulders with worried looks, the dogs's ears straight up in the air, and Laura towering over them with a stern look on her face. A lot of potato chips were on the floor, apparently after a food fight between the girls. I didn't see what the problem was: the canine vacuum cleaners were right there.

Carole read: "And one day some bad people tried to blow up the Hospital. It was very scary, and Mommy was hurt very bad. But the doc-tor op-errrrated on her, and helped her get better." The drawings showed the hospital with smoke coming out and fire trucks all around, and Daddy and Sheriff Griswold at one side, watching, sad looks on their faces. Then another drawing of Laura in bed, with me next to her. It was almost as good as the photo in the video montage I'd seen before.

"You know," Laura said, "I don't remember any of that. So it wasn't scary for me, just all-of-a-sudden."

"Take my word for it, Mommy." Carole said simply. "It's scary being in a building that blows up." Laura and I looked at each other wide-eyed.

"Yes." I said. "That is something you and your mom have in common, Carole. And I for one am glad you both lived to tell about it."

Carole: "And I spy Mommy getting better, and everyone living happily ever after. The End." The last drawing looked like a portrait, with me and Laura sitting on the sofa, and Carole, Jim, and Marie sitting in our laps, and Buddy and Bowser sitting to our sides.

"Aw, that's a wonderful book." Laura said, hugging Carole with her right arm. Then she had Marie come up for a hug.

Carole and Marie wandered off as Laura and I talked. A few minutes later I asked she needed anything, and Laura said "I wouldn't mind some orange juice--- oh, hello Carole." Our daughter had just walked up with a tall plastic cup of orange juice, with a lid on it; we'd used these cups in the past when the kids were prone to spill drinks, and it was perfect for Laura having only one hand to work with.

After helping transfer the cup, I asked Carole how she knew her mom wanted orange juice. Carole just shrugged; many times in the past we'd asked, and she would say she didn't know how she knew. Now she was just shrugging the question off...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jack Muscone and Tanya Perlman had come up with little Pete for dinner. To our surprise, Assistant Director Owen Lange also came up. One thing I noticed is that Bowser paid some attention to Owen Lange. I don't think Lange was particularly a dog person, but after Carole told him that Bowser wanted him to pet him, Lange did so, and soon had a new friend.

Laura sat at the table with us for dinner, and was able to maneuver pretty well with just one hand and arm. She also remarked how much better 'real' food was than Hospital food.

After dinner, Owen Lange and I went onto the back deck. I lit up the fire pot as we settled in with single malt Scotches.

"Thanks for letting me crash your party." said Lange. "I wanted to talk to you in a private setting, away from any of our offices."

"Sure." I said. "And you have the Bowser Seal of Approval. Very important. The thing I like about Bowser is... he's never wrong."

Owen barked a brief laugh, which was a lot for his ordinarily stiff demeanor. "Your daughter is never wrong, either. I can tell she's got more in her head than most of the BATFE put together."

It was my turn to bark a laugh. "That's true. So what's going on?"

Lange said "Since I was being kept out of the loop on the Hospital attack, I made myself useful by following up on the Russell case. And I'm firmly convinced that it's murder. Not that the S.O.B. didn't have it coming, but I'd like to expose if not bust the guys who did it."

I nodded as Lange took out his cellphone and brought up a couple of photos. "Recognize these guys?" he asked.

"Hmmm, they look like those new Federal Marshals assigned to Russell's detail, John A. Smith and George A. Adair, the ones we suspect brought Russell his lunch the day before and may have escorted him up to his death."

Owen Lange said "That's right. They're also Timothy McCray and Brad Terry, who are the odds-on favorites to be ID'd as the two people that drove the truck into the Hospital."

"Ohhhh!" I gasped, thinking out loud. "And those doors were sealed shut, so they couldn't jump out..." And then I realized I'd said too much, and given myself away. Lange did not let me off the hook.

"So you do know about that." he said with a little smile on his face. "You went in there, didn't you?" I shrugged in acknowledgement, and Lange said: "No wonder you were ahead of everyone else on everything. But you're right: apparently when the homing device was activated, it also activated the door bolts, trapping the men inside. They may have thought they were going to jump out, but found out that they were in a death trap."

"And a nice way to get rid of Russell's killers as well as take out the Hospital." I said. "Brilliantly planned, flawlessly executed on that score."

"Yep." said Lange. "What I don't get is why they're throwing away so much good manpower. Logan in jail, McCray and Terry dead, and that's after the assault on your County Jail to get Peter Blassingame out, which cost them a full mercenary team." (Author's note: 'Vox Populi, Vox Dei', Ch. 01-02.)

"Desperate times require desperate measures." I replied. "What about Ruby Russell? Anyone talked to her?"

"No, not yet." said Owen Lange. "She's as slippery as an eel. She said she wouldn't talk to us until after her father's funeral, which was Saturday in Van Waring, next to Rocktown. Since then, we basically can't catch up to her."

"Who have you told what you found?" I asked.

"Not Isley, if that's what you're asking." said Owen Lange. "I did tell the FBI Associate Deputy Director, who is my chain-of-command right now. I also told Muscone, and I told Nate Grimes of the Office of Professional Responsibility."

"Is he a good guy?" I asked. "His 'boy' Dominic Ellis shot me in the chest, you know."

"Yeah." said Owen. "Grimes is okay. Even if he's not, if and when this all comes out, I have a Memorandum for the Record that I told him, including a copy of the email. That's for my own protection. And speaking of Ellis, they've cut bait on him, and they're going to let him take the fall for shooting you. What about Lindsey Black?"

I said "D.A. Walters is throwing the book at Ellis: attempted murder in the first with aggravating circumstances, those circumstances being me being a Police Officer, and a whole slew of other related charges. But Lindsey Black denied she meant for anyone to actually shoot at me, and Walters agreed to not charge her for the two years until the Statute of Limitations runs out... provided that Black not show her face in this County again in those two years."

"There are a lot of Federal Agents who never want to see this County... nor its Police Commander... ever again." said Owen Lange. "But fortunately, Jack Muscone is not one of those. He's agreed to stay on as the City's SAC, and Karina White is staying as ASAC. We have a good team here, and I intend to keep it that way."

"I wholeheartedly agree with your evaluation of the FBI team here, in the City, and in Southport." I said.

"And one last thing." said Owen Lange. "the Cartel threat... it's diminished, but Colonel Caro of the Colombian National Police suggests you remain cautious, especially of drug gangs like NS-14."

"I agree, and I will remain cautious." I said. "But the Cartel threat was largely destroyed, and they don't want another visit from our finest combat Army and Navy personnel." It is possible I did not mention that I was the one who'd suggested to General McFarland and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to have our Spec Ops people pay the Cartel a visit...

Part 23 - Senatus Populusque

Tuesday, October 22d. Sheriff Griswold and I, wearing civilian clothes, were flown in the TCPD Bell helicopter to Midtown. We landed at the helipad of the State Office Building, and were escorted into the building, and then over to the State Capitol.

There was a large contingent of Press, including Greg Wallace of KFXU, Lester Holder of KXTC, Tim Sioban of KSB, and Alison McFarland of the Town & County Examiner. There were not that many politicians there, but among those present were Lt. Governor Sharon Marshall, State Senator Katherine Woodburn, State Representatives William C. 'Billy' Williams and Peter Long Cox. But there was not a single black State Representative or State Senator present at all: they were making a point to boycott the ceremony about to happen.

"So, Sheriff," I said, "obviously the Governor is going to name our new U.S. Senator. Want to tell me who it is now, or keep me in suspense." He had not told me what this was about when he ordered me to County Airport to board the helicopter, enjoying keeping something from me.

"Damn, son," growled Griswold, "I was trying to keep that a secret, too, but not much gets by you. And yeah, I'll keep you in suspense until the announcement... though I won't bet against you already knowing."

"No sir, I don't know," I said, "though I can make the 'edumacated' guess that he or she is from our Town & County, what with our Reps and State Senator here." The Sheriff nodded, his mustaches quivering slightly, as I said "And I think I can guess who it is from that group with the Governor."

And then that small procession of people came into the atrium where the podium was set up. The Sheriff and I joined the group, per the Lt. Governor's instructions, as Governor Jared went up to the bank of microphones and said "Thank you for coming." Reporters gathered around.

"First," said Governor Jared, "I want to express my personal condolences, as well as those of the People of the State, to the family of Senator Samuel Russell." I winced as he said that, knowing that the Press was going to find a way to attack him for those comments.

"Second," said the Governor, "I called this Press conference to announce my choice to fill the unexpired term of Senator Russell. She is someone of outstanding character and unimpeachable integrity, who will serve the People of the State in the United States Senate conscientiously and without regard to petty partisan politics. She is no friend of the Socialists nor the Crony Capitalists. And so it is my honor and pleasure to announce that your new United States Senator will be...

... Judge Lorraine McGill!"

Everyone gasped in shock as Judge McGill came up to the podium and shook the Governor's hands. We were applauding, some more strongly than others, while the Press gasped in shock; this one had been completely unexpected. And yes, Judge McGill was from my Town & County. (Author's note: 'The Saga Continues'.)

And her appointment had been all but guaranteed from the moment I passed a note to Sheriff Griswold during our morning coffee klatch.

The Press recovered from their shock in time to grill Judge McGill. Lester Holder got in the first shot: "Judge McGill, do you support the Governor's racist policies of harassing and arresting hardworking undocumented workers?"

"I don't accept any of those premises of your question." replied Judge McGill. "It is not racist to enforce the law and support the safety of American Citizens."

"Judge, will you caucus with the Republicans or the Democrats?" asked Greg Wallace, which was actually a reasonable question.

"I was independent as a judge for years," said Lorraine McGill, "and I'm officially going to be an Independent. Having said that, my views are similar to the Governor's in that I am not beholden to the Special Interests that fund the campaign coffers of both political Parties and their members."

I felt like I was having a Carole-class vibe as I literally felt the air go out of the Press's sails at that comment. And that, of course, meant the Media's questions got uglier. It didn't take very long before the Governor's Press Relations Officer, Sarah Honeysuckle, cut off the questions and escorted McGill and the Governor's party back to the Governor's Office area within the State Capitol...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30pm, Tuesday, October 22d. Mayor Daniel Allgood gaveled the Council meeting into order. The audience chamber was maybe one quarter full.

The Mayor called for a moment of silence in remembrance of those that had died in the Hospital attack, and everyone stood silently for that moment. Then the routine business was taken care of.

Then a resolution was made by John Colby, expressing the Council's praise and gratitude to the doctors, nurses, Fire and Police personnel for their actions during the terrorist attack crisis. It passed 9-1, with Kelly Carnes voting against, saying that she would make no votes praising the Police as long as Commander Troy was still employed by them.

No one had filled out a card requesting to speak to the Council, so a motion to go into Executive Session was approved 10-0.

Waiting for the Council Members in the private Chamber were the Sheriff, the Police Chief, and myself, in Duty Dress uniforms. "No more Colonels in the House." said Reginald B.F. Lewis jovially. "Just generals now." He was referring to the Chief and myself now having stars to denote our ranks instead of the eagles and the oak leaf clusters. No one laughed or even chuckled at the joke.

Following the Council Members into the Chamber were the Fire Chief and Fire Marshal, who came over and sat beside us in chairs against the wall. And in a surprise, Public Health Officer Beth Paige and Assistant PHO Rohit Gupta also came in.

"Okay," said the Mayor, "let's please conduct our business quickly and efficiently. We have a number of awards submitted by the Police, Fire, and Public Health Departments for actions at Point Hollow and also the Hospital attack."

For the most part, things went smoothly. The HAZMAT team members were awarded Public Health Commendation Medals for their actions at Point Hollow. I did not object, even though the HAZMAT team contaminated my crime scene (pun intended), and were just doing their jobs. But the Council was eager to give the Public Health people something, and took that opportunity to do so.

The Fire Department had an 'Exemplary Service Medal', lower than the Star of Gallantry and higher than the Commendation Medal, and they awarded a number of them. The Council passed all of the Fire Department medals with hardly a word of protest. Then came the Police awards.

And that's when the fight started.

I'd put Corporal Hicks in for a Commendation Medal for being on the scene in the first minutes and helping evacuate babies and nurses. It was promptly downgraded to an Achievement Medal, and it wasn't just the Haters doing it: the vote to downgrade was unanimous.

But the real row started when the Council took up my application to award Chaplain Romano the Star of Gallantry for plucking three babies out of the hellish disaster scene and delivering them to safety. All three babies had survived. Actually, I had put Father Romano in for the Police Medal, and the Chief lowered it to the Star in the hopes the Council would pass it.

"No, I'm not opposed to an award for Father Romano." said Susan Weston. "But I believe there is a serious and legitimate question of whether or not it was in the line of duty. I don't think it was, and so he should be awarded a Lifesaving Medal, not the Star of Gallantry."

"Of course he was on duty!" J.P. Goldman practically yelled. "His duty happened to be at the Hospital that day!"

"He was acting as a Catholic Chaplain, not as a Police Officer." Weston said smoothly, her voice subtly goading Goldman. "Therefore, his rescue of the babies, however brave, was not in the line of Police duty."

"He was there as a Police Officer the minute that truck exploded!" exploded Goldman. "How dare you denigrate his bravery like that."

"Ms. Weston is correct." interjected Kelly Carnes. "At the very least, a full Board of Inquiry is needed to determine if Chaplain Romano acted within or outside of the line of duty of a Police Officer."

"There's also the issue of Father Romano's heroism at Point Hollow." said John Colby in his baritone voice. "Commander Troy cited Chaplain Romano very specifically as being instrumental in saving that girl's life as well as Dr. Mickelson's."

"What the hell is a Police Chaplain doing being put in for all these medals, anyway?" asked Malinda Adams. "He's a priest, not the Iron Crowbar!"

"That's exactly right." said Susan Weston happily. "He's a priest, and his job is being a priest. He should not be eligible for the Star of Gallantry, as he was acting as a priest, not a cop!"

"You guys are absolutely nuts." John Colby said.

"Point of order!" Kelly Carnes yelled, almost at the top of her lungs.

"Point taken." said Mayor Allgood. "Mr. Colby, please refrain from remarks of that kind. So do I have a motion to submit this application to a Board of Inquiry?"

"Before you do," Edward Steele said, "I want to point out that we don't have enough time to submit it to the board and get an answer back. Next week's meeting is the last of the month before the November 1st ceremonies."

"All the more reason to send it to a Board of Inquiry, then." Kelly Carnes said maliciously, not noticing that Dagmar Schoen had made eye contact with me.

"I agree with Mrs. Carnes, for once." said Dagmar Schoen, equally maliciously. "In fact, I move to lay Father Romano's award application on the table."

There were gasps around the table. "Why?" spluttered Susan Weston.

"Yes, why?" snarled Kelly Carnes.

"Point of order, Mr. Mayor." said Dagmar Schoen. "A motion to lay it on the table takes precedence."

"There is a motion to lay it on the table." said Mayor Allgood. "Do I hear a second?"

"I second the motion." J.P. Goldman gruffly said.

"Why lay it on the table?" Susan Weston tried again, but the Mayor banged his gavel.

"We must vote without debate, per the rules of order." said Mayor Allgood. He was interrupted by Reginald B.F. Lewis laughing uproariously and clapping his hands. He turned and looked at me.

"You a sneaky one, Iron Crowbar." Lewis said, getting it. I just put a sunny smile on my face.

"Oh." said Weston, also getting it. "Delay it until after January, when the new Charter takes effect, and the Iron Crowbar unilaterally decides what to do about it." I kept smiling my sunny smile.

The motion to lay it on the table failed, 4-6. Ian McGhillie broke ranks, saying this needed to be dealt with now.

"I have two new award applications as well." said the Sheriff, interrupting them. "But first... Crowbar, go home and take care of your wife, please."

"Yes sir." I said. I swiftly left the Chamber, knowing that one of those applications would involve me. What was the other one for? I wondered to myself...

Part 23 - Epilogue

Meanwhile...

Teresa and Todd hosted Tanya and her family for dinner. Jack Muscone's daughters Tiffany and Jennifer seemed a little bored, but Todd made a point to talk to them about what they were doing in school, then about BOW Enterprises, which they seemed to like hearing about... or maybe they just liked the attention of the handsome young CEO of that company and his charming ways.