All Comments on 'Oregon Coast Ch. 04'

by Thucydides

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
BelgiumBelgiumover 12 years ago
Nice series

A very nice series. Please continue! Perhaps Manny is next one to be "fixed" up by the female cabal?

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitover 12 years ago
Good But...

Another good chapter in the series. I really liked it but I felt like it was a little "off" somehow. Not quite as good as the first three chapters. In any event, well worth reading. Looking forward to more chapters to come.

tennmactennmacover 12 years ago

I love this series. Well done.

gravyruggravyrugover 12 years ago
The Hermit has a point

I really liked this story, and the characters, but there were patches where it seemed to skip over details that should've been there. Which actually kinda reminds me of a couple of the Hermit's stories...

ThucydidesThucydidesover 12 years agoAuthor

Where? Not arguing, looking to improve.

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Good series

I went back and re-read two and three to get up to speed. You write well and it is interesting to read about stories set in the area of Oregon that I grew up in. I thought you handled the mixed race issues well and have no idea why someone would take offense.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
About the Coast (and the writer)

I really enjoyed the separate lives depicted in each chapter. That, and the fact that this wasn't just another 'hump' story made the reading enjoyable.

Imagine my surprise, then, with the 'disclaimer' at the beginning of this chapter. Your comments impressed me, partly because I'm a vet - with family having served with distinction in WWII, and partly because of the type of person you appear to be by holding those beliefs and feelings.

You sound like someone I could call 'friend'...

LadyFalconLadyFalconover 12 years ago
Good job Thucydides.

I enjoyed the story line. I FELT the respect you have for our Vets. You did an honorable job..if there were any gaps I think it was because you were addressing the respect you wanted to show our Vets and the points you wanted to get across on mixed race relationships.

I think the story works as its written but as I mentioned on a different story comment details are good to read. Fleshing out characters or situations with the details adds to the whole story. It might simply be in the description of our main characters thoughts or body posture and facial expression after he is asked to allow a hug for a hero. Re-read your description of the young man's death a chapter or two ago..it was full of the tension and detail. The amount of time to pass inside a story has nothing to do with how long or how many words it takes you to describe those seconds.

That being said I still like your style and look forward to your next submission. Yes, our Hispanic Vet should get a girl at some point. He sounds like he is a fun character and easy to love. He also sounds like he has a lot of depth to him. I would love to hear his story.

northlandernorthlanderover 12 years ago
Cant we give more than 5

An excellent story. As a vet I thank you for the approach that you used and the way that you could relate to the symptoms of PTSD so well. By the way the feeling that you could have done more and maybe saved a life isn't that uncommon to vets, cops, firefighters, ems responders etc. It is really easy to second guess yourself in the calm after the storm, even though in your heart you know that you did all you could at the time and in the circumstances.

ThucydidesThucydidesover 12 years agoAuthor

Around the time I was writing this, Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer (google him) was receiving his Medal of Honor for a series of acts of incredible courage that saved the lives of several dozen US and Afghan soldiers caught in a Taliban ambush. What struck me about his comments was (1) "I'm not a hero" and (2) "I feel like a failure because I didn't save four of them". I modeled a lot of Doc Miyahara's feelings on him.

I strongly believe that a real hero will never admit it, and conversely, anyone who tells you he's a hero must be a liar.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

Pleasant. Relaxing. Your normal style.

phil2213phil2213about 10 years ago
Wow!! Like fine wine your stories bring a giid aftertaste.

Incredible romantic story of two very geeky subjects. It was entertaining with great human interest. Humanizing the Japanese-Americans and their demise at the frenzy of Pearl Harbor was nicely done. Thank you!

SoleSurvivor1969SoleSurvivor1969almost 10 years ago
Good story - loved it

I handle my PTSD ok so long as I'm careful about what I watch on movies and TV.

I'll always have it and tears flow so easily even after 45 years.

Great job! Keep it coming.

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Excellent Story

I loved the bar confrontation and the details on attitudes toward mixed marriages.

I remember a friend asking me how I felt about being in a mixed marriage. I stood there wondering if should get angry. Luckily he clued me in, by saying you know Catholic and Protestant.... I thought he was referring to race...

Cutthroat90Cutthroat90over 8 years ago
Very Classy Tale!

Very much enjoyed how you handled the multi-racial aspects of this story and Doc M's guilt over not being able to save his buddy in Afghanistan.

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
For a Greek historian you write a very contemporary tale

Your introduction was/is spot on.

I have lived the "other side" of this saga

the "internees" from Oregon and Washington were hauled by way of the horse stables to the inland desert just north of Twin Falls Idaho. I have been privileged to attend the reunions in Hunt and listened to the speakers as they told of building their own barracks after giving up their homes, businesses, and communities. Many of the 442 were recruited from the young men who lived there under armed guard.

I'm sorry to say the folks still living in that area of Idaho are just as racist today as they were then. A prisoner of war camp for German soldiers was located 30 minutes to the West of the internment camp. Those German POWs were granted permission for work release jobs in the community while the American citizens were kept inside with machine guns aimed at them in camp.

You did a marvelous job of depicting the tensions of todays wars contrasted with those of our fathers.

too true, we continue to relive the same history.

Horseman68Horseman68about 6 years ago
Can Not Get Enough.....

..... of these great little stories. Would like to have more coming.

DoctimeDoctimeover 5 years ago

I didn’t leave any stars so as not to hurt your rating. However this story seemed to contrived and not up to your usual standards. Actually I was bored reading it.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanalmost 2 years ago

good, like the group of Vets that stick together, and each find a good Women in turn. Liked the 1st. story best.

Gym52Gym52over 1 year ago

I can easily relate to this stories principal character, as I am a Veteran of the medical branch of the Royal Navy, who spent a number of years working with the Royal Marines on active service in Northern Ireland, unfortunately when I left the Service I did not have the educational requirements to train as a doctor, but for a few years ran a hostel for recovering alcoholics and those dependent upon drugs. The friendships formed on active service are among the most enduring you will find anywhere, I still meet up with some of the best mates ever even after being discharged nearly thirty six years ago, those who I don't meet I speak to regularly.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES