All Comments on 'Our Fortieth Anniversary'

by lbenton

Sort by:
  • 232 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 2 months ago

So sad but loving!

5

Bronco56Bronco56about 2 months ago

Sad, gut wrenching, and heartwarming all in one. Excellent story

5stars

AardieAardieabout 2 months ago

I missed the part with the cheating. Still, a poignant story.

Rw43Rw43about 2 months ago

THIS is what a strong relationship looks like. Forget the affairs based on “ I met my soulmate”, “he/she neglected me”, “he/she let him/herself go”, or “he/she was so boring”. Cheaters will never understand how “I’m done with my treatments” evokes so much compassion and affection, because cheaters always bail out when life starts getting hard.

<>

At this point in life, every day is a love story that deserves to be told. If there aren’t many readers who treasure the tale, it’s not your fault. I guess we won’t be comparing orgasms today.

saddletramp1956saddletramp1956about 2 months ago

A nice heart-warming story of two people truly in love. The Tramp approves. 5*. Thank you!

bioman57bioman57about 2 months ago

Very sweet tale. Thank u for sharing

Rocket081960Rocket081960about 2 months ago

A beautiful, well written story. Thank you!

MightyheartMightyheartabout 2 months ago

5/5

True loving wife story

oldsage_1oldsage_1about 2 months ago

Sad memories. I lost my Love of 47 years on New Years Eve 2012. Great story thank you for writing.

Cheers

SAGE

IcarusascendingIcarusascendingabout 2 months ago

So incredibly sad, but beautiful at the same time. Great story.

swfb70swfb70about 2 months ago

My biggest fear is that I will outlive my wife

c24jc24jabout 2 months ago

Such gentle, good memories invoked by this short story . . . my wife died just three weeks shy of our fortieth . . . she had pretty much rejected any continued treatment. The memories this story brought back were not so sad actually, just gentle, sweet, and loving - wonderfully pleasant. Nicely written, touching and memorable . . . thanks.

EastCoaster1EastCoaster1about 2 months ago

I'm in a similar situation, and I feel the pain in this wonderful story of a true Loving Couple.

You must have lived something like this to be able to express the emotions here...

...I truly wish you the best of your life going forward.

Five stars of course.

demanderdemanderabout 2 months ago

Very nice, though sad, story. D

FillDirtWantedFillDirtWantedabout 2 months ago

Only someone who has livid through anything like this could really understand the whole story, let alone write it. You nailed it.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 months ago

Just WOW! As we approach our 40th, I just can't imagine everything they had to go through. 5.0*

mathur_nkmathur_nkabout 2 months ago
A real loving wife or should we say a real loving husband.

A real loving wife or should we say a real loving husband. In thick and thin, in health and sickness, till death do us apart!!!!!

fireman527fireman527about 2 months ago
Very Touching😪

Brought tears to my eyes as I have lived a very similar story with my wife. 5+Stars!

SkubabillSkubabillabout 2 months ago

My wife has been gone over 12 years and stories like this still break me up. Five stars.

JH4FunJH4Funabout 2 months ago
Thanks for the tale.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

The Style GuyThe Style Guyabout 2 months ago

Fifteen pages of love crammed into 1000 words. Thank you!

WvrjjrWvrjjrabout 2 months ago
Wow 5*

I am crying my eyes out. We face these moments , each of us, in our lives. Sometimes the wife, more often the husband leaves this mortal coil.

Thank you for the sensitive portrayal

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal1969about 2 months ago

heartbreaking.... and lovely

looking4itlooking4itabout 2 months ago

Too close to home for me but thank you for writing it.

TechumsahTechumsahabout 2 months ago

Heartbreaking....but beautiful. Must be my allergies today.

Storyteller0112Storyteller0112about 2 months ago

A most excellent example of a Loving Wife story. Our 34th is coming soon, and I have every hope of reaching our 40th. Thank you for exposing what is very likely a raw nerve for you.

BehindbluisBehindbluisabout 2 months ago

I lost one to COPD, and the next to cancer. In your vows is says to love, honor, and cherish until death do you part. The implied meaning is that you will be together forever. That's not so, one of you will die first leaving the other behind. I'm not sure which is the better position, but I can't go that road again.

JoeBetterBNiceJoeBetterBNiceabout 2 months ago

Very sweet. Touched my emotions. Well written, 5 stars.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionabout 2 months ago

Very nice and touching story. 55 years with the same woman and every night before sleep take me and every morning when I wake, I think how lucky I have been. Someday one of us will be left behind. That is the price we all must pay for a beautiful life with the love of our life. And oh, what a price it is.

BeBopper99BeBopper99about 2 months ago

Darn you!!!! Your bittersweet story is forcing me to give you a 5* times 40!!!! Write On 👍

GreyMatter46GreyMatter46about 2 months ago

Having lost two soul mates, I fully understand from the depth of your soul and mine. thanks

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerabout 2 months ago

I cried when 'OLE YELLER' died, and again today. Great story--thanks. 5 ***** cd

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerabout 2 months ago

Oh, my GOD! That was beautiful. Mrs. Bear and I have been married for 53 years, high school sweethearts. We have not had any physical intimacy in over 10, because of her stroke. But we still snuggle and tease each other. That's true love. I wouldn't trade it for anything. That's one of the reasons I can be so critical on this site. THAT'S TRUE LOVE. The rest is bullshit. 10 stars, now one of my all-time favorites, right up there with "All My Fault", "No", and "The Death of a Cuckold". More, please. Keep writing. I look forward to more good stories. The Bear definitely approves.

The BEAR

SlithyToveSlithyToveabout 2 months ago

Wow -- tough read after literally just coming back from the funeral of a long-married female friend who finally succumbed to her health issues.

LT56linebackerLT56linebackerabout 2 months ago

THEN<I read ALL the critiques. The only one that sniped was Cracker270. 'An aging hippie'! Figures. Thank God he didn't reference any of my stuff, or I would have puked. This was, again, a great, beautiful story. hands down. I stand by my review. again, thank you. Mrs. Bear thanks you, too. but she says you guys need to stop making me all wishy-washy.

The BEAR, again.

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitabout 2 months ago

Dammit! My eyes are watering, and I'm trying not to cry. My wife and I have been married 49 years, and the thought of losing her kills me. She's had breast cancer but is doing well so far. Snuggles are good. I could have gone the rest of my life without this reminder of "possibility". Well written, poignant tale, though. Truly a loving wife/husband story. Now, pardon me, I have something in my eyes I need to wipe out.

tiredandoldtiredandoldabout 2 months ago

I’m not crying. I’m NOT crying! I’m NOT CRYING!!!!

GerMagGerMagabout 2 months ago

Wow, emotional! A slice of life and yes this is true love. Thank you.

Fjmax6Fjmax6about 2 months ago

Sad and beautiful story.

JustplainjeffJustplainjeffabout 2 months ago

Hits too close to home. Luckily, not with my wife, but too many friends in our age bracket. Thank you.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleabout 2 months ago

I love this story. Yes, it’s left me weeping but this is what love looks like.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Well Done!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

My god, made me cry. My wife survived breast cancer. I can relate so well. You have written a masterpiece within the short ones in LW. 5*

Pappy7Pappy7about 2 months ago

So very well done.

wayniepoo62wayniepoo62about 2 months ago
That cut deep.

Damn you. That cut real deep. 5/5.

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherabout 2 months ago

Now that's a REAL Loving Wife story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Sad story that hit home with me. We made 49. 5

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuabout 2 months ago

Sad but absolutely beautiful tale.

Thank you @Ibenton.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Wonderful story about a very sad situation...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

so SAD but so LOVING. sorry for them have seen this too many times. my wife of 50 years and I are facing this. Pray for us please

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Wow. I lost my wonderful wife about 4 years ago, and I almost couldn't make it through this story. I'm crying so hard I can barely type. But thank you for posting this. You made me feel a little less alone. Bless you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Sorry - I do not like stories that leave me sad - I read for enjoyment. 3*

FlamethrowFlamethrowabout 2 months ago

A painful snapshot of true love, tear-inducing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A touching tale the dragged the reader into the story. Short, sweet and loving. Five stars, of course for a vignette beautifully told.

JPB NOT BOB

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A very sad five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

😢😢😢😢😢 Beautiful. Powerful. So well written. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Damn, my eyes are leaking first thing in the morning. The purest definition of Loving Wives! Such a beautiful and sad story. It touched my heart in so many ways being married for a long time myself. Thank you lbenton! 5*+++

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Beautifully written ❤️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Real life, happy and sad at the same time

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

VERY, Very nice story!!! Thank you for your time! 5

PS: LW is sooooo very short of this caliber stories! (thank you, again)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

What FillDirtWanted said.

Doc

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A well written story about love. Bravo!

JustSomeWordsJustSomeWordsabout 2 months ago

swfb70 stated: ‘My biggest fear is that I will outlive my wife’

There is no right or wrong answer, but my biggest fear is my wife will outlive me. I don’t want her to have to deal with any of my end-of-life difficulty and I want to be there to help her through hers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

It made me cry!

BulldogfortyfourBulldogfortyfourabout 2 months ago

Well you made this old man tear up! Forty six years this December for me and my Wife.

Well done!

🌟🌟🌟🌟👍🏻

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A beautiful, well written but ultimately super sad story. It was short, but any more length might've been wasted. Having written that, the only thing missing was their life & how she found out. But... still... OMG, 5 stars on this love story. Bob

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

wow

TonyGWTonyGWabout 2 months ago

Perfect, a snapshot of true love.

Thank You.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Where ever the ide for this story came from, thank the writer gods for a great story. Our 55th anniversary is in April and we continue to cherish each day as if is our last. Thanks for such a loving story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

wow that really touched the spot, so sad but so beautiful. a well written love story.

thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I knew where this was going within the first few sentences. A beautiful story of an everlasting love.

h2osh2osabout 2 months ago

This was a true love story. Thank you for a story about true love not betrayal and revenge.

tralan69ertralan69erabout 2 months ago

@swfb

My biggest fear is that I will outlive my wife. - Would you really want it to be the other way around. How selfish.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

So sad but love the depth of their relationship.

oldnotdead47oldnotdead47about 2 months ago

5* I lived this six years ago and it brought back all the emotions

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Beautiful. Your dialogue gave life to your MC thoughts. Look forward to reading more of your work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

My wife died from cancer 3 months after our 41st anniversary. Too many painful memories

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

great & sad.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

SOUNDS LIKE A TRUE STORY !!! I am 86 and my wife is 84. we will have our 65th anniversary on may 28. we are still in love

Frank66Frank66about 2 months ago

Gosh, what a story, almost too much. But, what a life they must have lived. Thanks.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencerabout 2 months ago

Thank you for sharing this story. It is beautiful. A loving couple probably in their mid 60's at least. We must all face our eventual demise, in our own unique ways. Many thanks again, Cheers.

KeithW66KeithW66about 2 months ago

While it was a target to reach, it came with a price, but also created some lasting memories, maybe there is hope to get to 41

exposewife2018exposewife2018about 2 months ago

Beautiful story of true love.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

great story a real loving wife (and husband) story

enderlocke77enderlocke77about 2 months ago

lol that was a lot of tags for a half page story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

1 out of 8 women will get breast cancer at some point in their lives. Many will not survive it. This is too damned real. Nice job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

What is this tear jerker trend happening recently? Congratulations to the author, success. You asshole.

funperson969funperson969about 2 months ago

Been married 51 years. Great story, well written! 5* Makes me appreciate anew how blessed I am.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Damn. Great story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userlbenton@lbenton
I am a 60 year old man that has been forcibly retired due to a stroke. to keep myself sane, I have been writing erotica and other short stories.